What Car Did You Learn To Drive On?

Deborah J

I have been going through pictues and I came across my Mom's Pontiac Bonneville, the car I learned to drive on. It was huge!! Not easy in car that big.

Then my fisrt car was a 65 Ford Mustang with a Borg-Warner Super T10 4 speed!!! I wished I would have NEVER sold it. That car was awesome to drive.

1971 Ford Torino 500 (351C 4bbl... .030 over,Holley 750 DP/400HP)

1968 Olds Cutlass S (Stock 350)

1978 Chevy Blazer with a 4spd.(Self-taught on a stick)

I started driving when I was 14...

....or did you mean legally?:huh:

B)

...and my first car was a (different)1971 Ford Torino 500

Took driver's ed in high school and don't remember the car. But my first car was a 1970 Dodge Dart... Loved it!! I learned to drive a stick on a Sunbeam Imp (it was my dad's...don't remember what year it was), but haven't driven a manual since...

It's all Honda for me now.

1971 Ford Torino 500 (351C 4bbl... .030 over,Holley 750 DP/400HP)

1968 Olds Cutlass S (Stock 350)

1978 Chevy Blazer with a 4spd.(Self-taught on a stick)

I started driving when I was 14...

....or did you mean legally?:huh:

B)

I was 14 also, drivers permit at 15 , but was allowed to drive on my own.

I don't remember which car I learned to drive on (my parents'), but my first car was a seaweed green Dodge Omni.

I pd $1000 for it and a month later the transmission went, which cost $900. I remember crawling through the hatch in the winter when the doors would freeze shut. It was an ugly car!

My drivers ed car that I learned to drive on was a station wagon, a Chevy, I think.

I shared a car with my brother in high school. It was a Buick Skylark convertible.

After I was married, I shared a VW Beetle with my husband. It had a hippy flower decal on the back. We bought that car from his boss. It was about 10 years old when we bought it. It had a terrible heater, and in the winter, the windshield would freeze over with frost on the inside. LOL I drove that car after I graduated from Optometry school for a couple of years. My patients probably thought that I was a hippy. :hippy:

I learned to ride a bike before I drove a cage, not the one below ofcourse but I think it was my Dad's Chevy P/U truck that I learned to drive first.

e0cb3789.jpg

My first car was this 65 Mustang w/ Boss 302, Edelbrock highrise manifold, mr. Gasket 4 speed, Isky roller cam, Mallory Ignition, Hooker headers with Castler side pipes cool.gifbiggrin.gif Just crusin' the Miracle Strip.

P.S. How's about my hood ornamentlaugh.gif

12-30-200850619PM.jpg

Like a few others, just the standard drivers ed car.

My own "first" was a blue Firebird.

I could NOT drive a stick until just like 10 years ago or so. I was terrified at first, starting after a stop on a hill, but soon was shifting like I was all that and loved it.

I don't remember the year of the cars (between 72 and 77 is my guess) my parent's owned a Silver Ford Torino and had inherited my grandfather's Brown Chevy Impala (big car) both 8 cylinders and fast. A good friend took me on the interstate (95) in his yellow (lol) pinto. I got my license soon after turning 16. Bought my first new car within a year of graduating high school, a black Ford Mustang. Almost bought a red convertible Mustang, but the ahole salesman told my dad (who was with me to negoitiate) if we came back tomorrow it would be $1000 more. We didn't purchase the car there :) and my dad used words i have not heard him use before that or since.

I have been going through pictues and I came across my Mom's Pontiac Bonneville, the car I learned to drive on. It was huge!! Not easy in car that big.

Then my fisrt car was a 65 Ford Mustang with a Borg-Warner Super T10 4 speed!!! I wished I would have NEVER sold it. That car was awesome to drive.

How's it going "Deborah J?" I hope all is well with you and your son. I'm going to bed here shortly, I haven't slept since Friday. But I figured that I would post a comment here since I just had a flashback in reference to your question. At the tender age of 14, the first car I learned to drive was a 1973 Corvette, LS-7 454 with a Turbo-hydramatic 400 Transmission with a shiftkit. Believe me when I tell you that the car hauled ass! I loved driving down the California coast going at speeds of 160 MPH. WHAT A RUSH! Great thread! ROCK ON!

I learned to ride a bike before I drove a cage, not the one below ofcourse but I think it was my Dad's Chevy P/U truck that I learned to drive first.

e0cb3789.jpg

My first car was this 65 Mustang w/ Boss 302, Edelbrock highrise manifold, mr. Gasket 4 speed, Isky roller cam, Mallory Ignition, Hooker headers with Castler side pipes cool.gifbiggrin.gif Just crusin' the Miracle Strip.

12-30-200850619PM.jpg

Charlie- My 65 Mustang had a 289 and it was Chocolate Brown-She could beat a lot of cars at 1/4 mile, but top end couldn't keep up with the bigger engines. I so regret not keeping it.

I learned on a 71 Chevy Vega, two speed automatic (no wonder GM went bankrupt). My first car was a 1973 Ford Mustang, 351c and it is still in my garage having owned it for the last 26 years. 70,000 miles on it now.

Hello!

Any person who loves vintage cars should attend the Concouse de Elegance. It is held every spring at The Ritz-Carlton, Ameliia Island( March 12-14, 2010 dates,and at Pebble Beach in late summer. The cars are unbelievable. I used to head straight to the Mustangs ( most of them go for 80K-over 100K for the Mustangs, but the shows are really awesome.

Hey Deb's! I had a few car's of my dad's that I was driving when I first started driving ... :blink: ... One of them was a 1966 Mustang. I think everyone had or at least drove a mustang in those day's!

Took driver's ed in high school and don't remember the car. But my first car was a 1970 Dodge Dart... Loved it!! I learned to drive a stick on a Sunbeam Imp (it was my dad's...don't remember what year it was), but haven't driven a manual since...

It's all Honda for me now.

The driver's ed car we had in Graham, North Carolina was a Plymouth Satellite (1974).

The first car my mom and dad allowed me to drive on my own was a 1970 Plymouth Valiant (was my grandma's old car) , just a bit bigger than that Dart you drove.

First manual shift my mom and dad allowed me to drive on my own was a 1979 Ford Fiesta (hatchback).

Car I learned to drive on: 1972 Chevy Vega (remember them?)

First car I owned: 1968 Dodge Dart

First Brand New Car: 1984 Chevy Chevette

I learned how to drive when I was 10 or 12 years old on two farm truck's, one was an old 1940's Willys/Overland Jeep! The other was a new (at that time) early 1970's J Series Jeep pickup, it may have been an International Harvester truck. If I remember correctly they both looked a lot alike.

First car I payed for on my own was a 1975 Honda CVCC wagon, payed $1800.00 (US) cash for it in 1983.

First (and only) new car I got was a 1994 Toyota Pick-up, 5 speed.

My drivers ed car that I learned to drive on was a station wagon, a Chevy, I think.

I shared a car with my brother in high school. It was a Buick Skylark convertible.

After I was married, I shared a VW Beetle with my husband. It had a hippy flower decal on the back. We bought that car from his boss. It was about 10 years old when we bought it. It had a terrible heater, and in the winter, the windshield would freeze over with frost on the inside. LOL I drove that car after I graduated from Optometry school for a couple of years. My patients probably thought that I was a hippy. :hippy:

Yeah, I remember the beat up station wagon (1970 Chevy) my dad would sometimes let me drive. Aww ... Come on dad, we all want to go to the drive in movies tonight!!! I was only joking, if I had a bunch of buddies that wanted to go to the drive in, I wouldn't have to beg to much! Now, if he ever knew we had beer and party supplies, he would have gone through the roof!!! :angry:

The heater in the old 1966 Mustang was not one to give me a suntan ether! We dressed warm in the winter! B)

e0cb3789.jpg

12-30-200850619PM.jpg

Wow! My 1966 Mustang didn't look that good dude!! Sweet ride Man!! B)

Hello!

Any person who loves vintage cars should attend the Concouse de Elegance. It is held every spring at The Ritz-Carlton, Ameliia Island( March 12-14, 2010 dates,and at Pebble Beach in late summer. The cars are unbelievable. I used to head straight to the Mustangs ( most of them go for 80K-over 100K for the Mustangs, but the shows are really awesome.

Love to watch the car show on TV when I get the chance! And remember going to many show's when I was a kid!

82132.jpg

This is it- a 1967 Jeep Wagoneer, 327 V-8 with a three on the tree, 4WD. My dad bought it new, it's been mine for the last 5+ years. That took some guts, training me on the only family car at the time. LOL It's still in pristine condition. :D

She's a beauty RA !!!

Archived