What Car Did You Learn To Drive On?

Deborah J

Wow, a lot of you guys learned on pretty cool cars or had cool first cars.

I had several I drove in driver's ed, but my first car was a 1978 Toyota Corolla.

I think I learned in my dad's old 70's Toyota truck--it was a small one.

Both those cars were sticks--I never drove an automatic until I bought my Accord in 2005.

I had several I drove in driver's ed, but my first car was a 1978 Toyota Corolla.

Both those cars were sticks--I never drove an automatic until I bought my Accord in 2005.

Good for you, Manders! Welcome to the few, the proud...THE STICK SHIFTERS! :D

I'm still amazed that I actually own the car I learned on. And that my dad would trust me with it. :blink:

I didn't learn to drive a stick shift until many years after I got my license and I much prefer them to automatics.

Yeah, with that 327 it would only seem fitting. But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to fuck with its original "personality". ;)

You'd be surprised just how well it does as-is. B)

I'm sure it does,but isn't shifting a three-on-the-tree a little.....clumsy?

There's a reason Ronnie Sox never raced a car that had one....B)

My good-ol' 2003 Honda Civic, which I still drive. It's an automatic...I still can't drive stick. D: I would love to learn, but the only thing around with manual is my dad's '90 Toyota pickup, and it's currently out of commission, so I'm out of luck for the time being.

Wow guys, I wish my first car could've been a Mustang...cherish those memories - mid-priced cars are not as fun as they used to be!

Never did, and possibly never will drive a car.

I hear you, but it's a necessary evil.

My first was a '63 Chevy pickup with a 3 speed stick. The 'ol rust bucket that I bought for $300. My first motorcycle was a 125cc Harley 2 stroke. :D

Did you at least flip the air-cleaner top over so it made "that" sound whenever you stepped on it?;)B)

Dear Ole' Dad wouldn't have appreciated that, and I might drop the air-cleaner wingnut down the carb like my best Bud did. :hysterical: I'm still hearing about when he went out to work in the morning and found my wallet laying in the middle of the street next to the door....and that was 30 years ago. There was only one rule....bring it home with at least a quarter tank.

I should probably point out for the benefit of long-timers that this was not the car I drove through the garage with into the family room. That was a 75 Caprice Classic...which I ended up buying also. Those early impact bumpers could do some serious dry wall damage. :blink:

When I had my learner's permit I drove a variety of different cars including the one used in Driver's Ed. However, my first car was a grey 1974 Ford Mustang II (much like the model depicted below). It was a piece of shit I drove into the ground. By the time I got done with it I'm pretty sure it went straight to the scrap heap at the local junkyard.

25771890001_large.jpg

a 1992 Ford Tempo. What a piece of junk that was. The hand brake didn't work the day I took my test. I am amazed I still passed.

My fist car was a piece of junk 1986 Mercury Cougar that was rusted so much you could see the pavement below, and out through the bottom of the doors. Let's not get into have many time the thing didn't start. I didn't expect much for $300.

Archived