Led Zeppelin IV

Head Gardener

Hi, I am a longtime fan of the band and have all the original pressings on vinyl,

indeed as a collector I have come across various different pressings with label

variants etc, but something new came my way today.

I picked up an original French Pressing of IV which has the same g/f sleeve but

has a one sheet inner instead of the lyric inner on most issues. The label is slightly

different although it has the symbols and is the first pressing plumb label but it was

something else which has taken me aback.

This copy comes in an original polythene outer sleeve which has Led Zeppelin in 1st LP

typeface actually printed on it. As there is no other indication of the name of Iv on the sleeve

this must have come with initial copies in order to help buyers know what the album was!

I will post up a picture of this soon, I am not at my home computer as I write so don't have access

to a scanner, but have never seen an example of this before in over 30 years of collecting, and could

find no info by searching online. I wondered if any members would have any more info on this unusual

copy or have seen it before, but as I say I will post up some pics later today so thanks in advance for any info.

Hi, I am a longtime fan of the band and have all the original pressings on vinyl,

indeed as a collector I have come across various different pressings with label

variants etc, but something new came my way today.

I picked up an original French Pressing of IV which has the same g/f sleeve but

has a one sheet inner instead of the lyric inner on most issues. The label is slightly

different although it has the symbols and is the first pressing plumb label but it was

something else which has taken me aback.

This copy comes in an original polythene outer sleeve which has Led Zeppelin in 1st LP

typeface actually printed on it. As there is no other indication of the name of Iv on the sleeve

this must have come with initial copies in order to help buyers know what the album was!

I will post up a picture of this soon, I am not at my home computer as I write so don't have access

to a scanner, but have never seen an example of this before in over 30 years of collecting, and could

find no info by searching online. I wondered if any members would have any more info on this unusual

copy or have seen it before, but as I say I will post up some pics later today so thanks in advance for any info.

I'm used to consider this as the first pressing.

There's no picture yet of this on my discography because I've not a complete idea of all the small differences from this pressing.

Of course I agree with your "this must have come with initial copies in order to help buyers know what the album was!"

nothing more to say, first pressing

Does SA at the bottom after Kinney Fillipachi Music mean the bag is South African?!

WEA Filipacchi Music was a French label. I'll see what I can find out about the SA designation. Off the top of my head it could denote a particular pressing plant or be a variation of the corporate name.

WEA Filipacchi Music was a French label. I'll see what I can find out about the SA designation. Off the top of my head it could denote a particular pressing plant or be a variation of the corporate name.

You will see SA after the majority of company names in France. I found one answer

S.A. generally designates corporations in various countries, mostly those employing civil law. This translates literally in all languages mentioned as "anonymous company" or "share company" and can be differentiated from Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies.

S.A. meaning "anonymous society/corporation" is the abbreviation of:

* "Société anonyme" in French

Answer taken from the web.

You will see SA after the majority of company names in France. I found one answer

S.A. generally designates corporations in various countries, mostly those employing civil law. This translates literally in all languages mentioned as "anonymous company" or "share company" and can be differentiated from Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies.

S.A. meaning "anonymous society/corporation" is the abbreviation of:

* "Société anonyme" in French

Answer taken from the web.

Nice work, Paul! beer.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Archived