John Lydon John Lydon Reunites Public Image Ltd.

The Pagemeister

johnlydon.jpg

John Lydon — who's perhaps better known as Johnny Rotten — has reunited Public Image Ltd., his post-Sex Pistols band, and has spoken out about Oasis' recent split.

Public Image Ltd. will play a series of shows in December to celebrate the 30th anniversary of 1979's Metal Box. Lydon, Damned guitarist Lu Edmonds, bassist Scott Firth and ex-Slits drummer Bruce Smith will play five gigs in Britain to end the year, according to NME.com. Tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. GMT on Friday.

Lydon recently told Britain's Female First he's "sad" Oasis have split up. Guitarist/singer and main songwriter Noel Gallagher announced he had quit the band late last month.

"They're a nice backdrop on a dull day," Lydon told the publication. "There's no content or depth to Oasis, but it's still poignant."

Lydon couldn't get away without another jab, though.

"Noel is fantastic, one of Britain's finest. Liam's alright if you want a second-rate Rotten.

"I remember hearing 'Rock N Roll Star' for the first time and it sounded like John Lennon and John Lydon mixed together."

Public Image Ltd. will play these shows:

Dec. 15 Birmingham, England @ O2 Academy Birmingham

Dec. 16 Leeds, England @ O2 Academy Leeds

Dec. 18 Glasgow, Scotland @ O2 Academy Glasgow

Dec. 19 Manchester, England @ O2 Academy Manchester

Dec. 21 London, England @ O2 Academy Brixton

I am not familiar with his work in PIL, but I don't think it's gonna be that great.

I saw the remaining members of Sex Pistols reunited and if you haven't played for 30 years... and John looked like a clown who doesn't know where he is. I left the concert very quickly, but my friends told me I haven't missed much.

Can someone post a link to some of their work?

PIL have been a great band at times.

The trouble is that the lineup has changed so many times that they have also been a not-great band at times too.

However, that notwithstanding, one of the most enjoyable shows I saw was an appearance by PIL at the Reading Festival in 1992 (the year that Nirvana headlined the last night). John was on top form - working the audience, or winding them up, whichever was necessary. What surprised me the most was that their first number was Kashmir...

...yes, that Kashmir! Awesome stuff. Likme a lot of their work it all went over the heads of part of the audience, who were humour & irony free. Oh well...

Archived