Rolling Stones Revisit Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out!

Gospel Zone

My husband and I are looking forward to this release. For me, the Mick Taylor years (the albums produced and the concerts, including these '69 MSG shows and the S.T.P. tour) were the Stones best years. On a related note:

I think this is tragic on many levels: The Rolling Stone who's stony broke

That story's bollocks apparently. Should have known coming from The Mail. :rolleyes:

From Planetrock.com

Mick Taylor Rubbishes Stones Story

16th September 2009

Mick Taylor has angrily rejected suggestions that he is poor and is planning to sue the Rolling Stones.

Speaking to the NME, Mick Taylor’s manager Jeff Allen revealed that not only is the story that appeared in the Mail On Sunday not true but that Mick still has a very good relationship with his former bandmates.

Allen tells the NME that the guitarist was “horrified” to read the report and that he had no plans to take legal action.

"He certainly didn't say that he was going to sue the Stones. Mick's got a very good relationship with the Stones," Allen explained.

"In fact, the last time we met up with them, him and Keith [Richards, guitarist] were like long-lost lovers – hugging each other and happy to see each other. When Mick was ill either six or eight weeks ago with some kind of chest complaint, Mick Jagger had his office phone up to see what was going on, and then he phoned up the hospital just to check on Mick because they were worried about him. So there's absolutely no animosity between Mick and the Stones."

And to drive a nail into the Mail On Sunday’s report, not only is Mick still friendly with the Stones but he is definitely not destitute.

"You can imagine the shock, horror and disbelief when that article came out in the Daily Mail. The emphasis of the article was that Mick was some kind of run-down, down-and-out tramp living in Suffolk. The reality is Mick's having the house done up," he said. "Mick is living in Holland at the moment with his girlfriend."

Mick Taylor is due to tour with the Mick Taylor Band later this year, with dates in Germany and France already scheduled and others to be announced.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, didn't know this thread existed as Ive been spouting off about Taylor era Stones recently on another thread. Regardless, great to see the excitement on this forum over this!

This "Ya Ya's" re-issue is what the Stones originally wanted to put out when they were still signed to Decca/ABCKO but weren't able to do it due to the other artists labels involved. The Stones aren't really going to make much money on this because of that same situation involving Klein's still finacial hold over them even with his recent death, but it's great that this long forgotten project is finally coming to fruition.

Wow, didn't know this thread existed as Ive been spouting off about Taylor era Stones recently on another thread. Regardless, great to see the excitement on this forum over this!

This "Ya Ya's" re-issue is what the Stones originally wanted to put out when they were still signed to Decca/ABCKO but weren't able to do it due to the other artists labels involved. The Stones aren't really going to make much money on this because of that same situation involving Klein's still finacial hold over them even with his recent death, but it's great that this long forgotten project is finally coming to fruition.

How's it going "kakdaddy?" Is Allen Klein still alive? I don't remember at the moment. I do remember that he was put in prison for Income Tax Evasion, thats the last that I heard from Klein. ROCK ON FOREVER!

I'm pretty sure Alan Klein died recently.

Ry Cooder has bitched about the Jagger/Richard business "model" for years. Cooder has claimed that a lot of his ideas and riffs were basically stolen and used in Stones tunes when he jammed with them in the late 60'd ot early 70's. Apparently by the posted article, Taylor has suffered from the same "business model".

Regardless if what Taylor said is true or not, he deserves royalties. Sticky Fingers especially would never have been the classic that it was without Taylor's input and playing. The fact that he's not still getting paid for this work (Mick and Keith sure are) is a disgrace.

I used to love the Rolling Stones. It's getting tougher and tougher to still love them. I should just stop reading stuff about them I think.

Regards;

I'm pretty sure Alan Klein died recently.

Ry Cooder has bitched about the Jagger/Richard business "model" for years. Cooder has claimed that a lot of his ideas and riffs were basically stolen and used in Stones tunes when he jammed with them in the late 60'd ot early 70's. Apparently by the posted article, Taylor has suffered from the same "business model".

Regardless if what Taylor said is true or not, he deserves royalties. Sticky Fingers especially would never have been the classic that it was without Taylor's input and playing. The fact that he's not still getting paid for this work (Mick and Keith sure are) is a disgrace.

I used to love the Rolling Stones. It's getting tougher and tougher to still love them. I should just stop reading stuff about them I think.

Regards;

Yes, Allen Klein died this summer. Read it an weep, (tears of joy!)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/05/allen.klein.obit/index.html

Jody Klein, Allen's son, is now president of ABKCO. I think he's doing a better job than his father. In fact, I think he's doing a better job on the Stones stuff than the Stones are themselves.

I think Ry Cooder may have done much of the slide playing on Let It Bleed without getting credit.

Yes, Allen Klein died this summer. Read it an weep, (tears of joy!)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/05/allen.klein.obit/index.html

Jody Klein, Allen's son, is now president of ABKCO. I think he's doing a better job than his father. In fact, I think he's doing a better job on the Stones stuff than the Stones are themselves.

I think Ry Cooder may have done much of the slide playing on Let It Bleed without getting credit.

Ry Cooder played on "Country Honk" & "Love In Vain" off of the "Let It Bleed" album. He also played slide on both Marianne Faithfull's & The Stones versions of "Sister Morphine". He claims that there's loads of tape of him playing that the Stones posses & wont return to him because Keith's afraid that if those tapes became public it would show the germs of ideas that went into Stones songs from "Let It Bleed" to "Exile".

He's not alone in the long list of musicians who claim that the Stones didn't compensate them correctly for their contributions to Stones albums. Within the band itself beyond Mick Taylor not being credited for his songwriting contributions outside of "Ventilator Blues", Brian Jones co-wrote "Ruby Tuesday" with Keith without any credit & the classic "Keef" riff to "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is actually Bill Wyman's riff that Keith took credit for & wouldn't even let Wyman play bass on the track. Very ethical guys Mick & Keith. I tend to believe those who make these claims because there are to many instances of this happening with to many different people.

Ry Cooder played on "Country Honk" & "Love In Vain" off of the "Let It Bleed" album. He also played slide on both Marianne Faithfull's & The Stones versions of "Sister Morphine". He claims that there's loads of tape of him playing that the Stones posses & wont return to him because Keith's afraid that if those tapes became public it would show the germs of ideas that went into Stones songs from "Let It Bleed" to "Exile".

He's not alone in the long list of musicians who claim that the Stones didn't compensate them correctly for their contributions to Stones albums. Within the band itself beyond Mick Taylor not being credited for his songwriting contributions outside of "Ventilator Blues", Brian Jones co-wrote "Ruby Tuesday" with Keith without any credit & the classic "Keef" riff to "Jumpin' Jack Flash" is actually Bill Wyman's riff that Keith took credit for & wouldn't even let Wyman play bass on the track. Very ethical guys Mick & Keith. I tend to believe those who make these claims because there are to many instances of this happening with to many different people.

Hey "kakdaddy!" This is what I call drama within THE STONES' bubble as Keith once said! It looks like one happy family!

I wasn't sure if Allen Klein was a live or not but I did hear that his son Jody Klein was running Abkco now and is doing a real good job. I am really pleased with his son's dedication to Abkco considering how bad his father was. Allen Klein screwed both THE BEATLES and THE STONES out of millions only to get caught for Income Tax Evasion. ROCK ON FOREVER my friend!

I've always been suspicious that it's Ry Cooder playing slide on "Let It Bleed", "Midnight Rambler", "You Got The Silver" and "Monkey Man". It sounds like the same style of slide playing that is on "Sister Morphine" and "Memo from Turner" from the Performance sound track.

I've always been suspicious that it's Ry Cooder playing slide on "Let It Bleed", "Midnight Rambler", "You Got The Silver" and "Monkey Man". It sounds like the same style of slide playing that is on "Sister Morphine" and "Memo from Turner" from the Performance sound track.

No, that is Keith playing slide on those. He did admit to learning slide & open tunings from Ry Cooder though. Cooder never accused them of not crediting him for the album tracks he actually appeared on, he was acknowledged for that. His beef with them was that that Mick & Keith were listening to his tapes that he had laid down in the studio with them while jamming & then raiding his ideas without crediting him for certain riffs & song structures during those jams that ended up in later Stones songs. If there is a similarity between his playing & Keiths on the "Let It Bleed" tracks, well there you go. It's not the first/last time that Mick & Keith have been accused of pulling that crap. And the press call Page a thief :D .

No, that is Keith playing slide on those. He did admit to learning slide & open tunings from Ry Cooder though. Cooder never accused them of not crediting him for the album tracks he actually appeared on, he was acknowledged for that. His beef with them was that that Mick & Keith were listening to his tapes that he had laid down in the studio with them while jamming & then raiding his ideas without crediting him for certain riffs & song structures during those jams that ended up in later Stones songs. If there is a similarity between his playing & Keiths on the "Let It Bleed" tracks, well there you go. It's not the first/last time that Mick & Keith have been accused of pulling that crap. And the press call Page a thief :D .

I'm still skeptical. If that's Keith, he's a damn good slide player, every bit as good as Ry Cooder. He should be doing more of it. But I wonder if Ry Cooder ever read the credits on the inner sleeve of the Let It Bleed album. Maybe he's never listened to the album, for that matter.

I'm still skeptical. If that's Keith, he's a damn good slide player, every bit as good as Ry Cooder. He should be doing more of it. But I wonder if Ry Cooder ever read the credits on the inner sleeve of the Let It Bleed album. Maybe he's never listen to the album, for that matter.

Keith is a good slide player & he had learned from one of the best, Ry Cooder. Keith asked him to show him how to play slide in open tunings & Ry showed him some of his tricks which Keith readily admits. He does a good approximation of Cooder's playing but slightly rawer. Even on the last Stones album with the stripped down blues number "Back Of My Hand" Keith plays slide in the manner of Cooder, which incidentally is the best song on "A Bigger Bang".

Keith is a much better player than people credit him as being. I hope on this Exile deluxe thing they include some of the rehearsals and jamming sessions that went on during that time. Keith really could play back then, Taylor pushed him.

Regards;

Keith is a much better player than people credit him as being. I hope on this Exile deluxe thing they include some of the rehearsals and jamming sessions that went on during that time. Keith really could play back then, Taylor pushed him.

Regards;

Maybe Ron Wood is a bad influence on him. I know on some of the recent tours, Keith will have his shit together, say like on his solo in "Sympathy For The Devil" and then on the next tour he's not so good on the same song.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got it!

It is so worth it. The first bonus disc is awesome. It contains Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move, Under My Thumb, I'm Free, Satisfaction. Satisfaction is worth it alone. Finally a great live recording of their signature song, it's blistering. Prodigal Son & I'm Free are awesome as well, in fact they're all awesome.

The second bonus disc is of opening acts BB King/Ike & Tina Turner. Great as well. They were supposed to be included on the original album when it was released but that was scrapped over legal issues. Tina Turner singing Otis Reddings' I've Been Loving You To Long is as good as any of the Stones performances. Great all around.

There's a bonus DVD that includes the 5 bonus Stones songs from the bonus CD. I haven't watched it yet but it also includes backstage footage of them hanging with Hendrix, etc that you can find on youtube.

Great booklet too. Haven't read it all the way through yet but it has great photos I've never seen & it's in hardcover.

All in all the best Stones re-release that's been put out so far & I havent even gone through it all yet. I'll keep you posted when I've finished it all.

Finally got it!

It is so worth it. The first bonus disc is awesome. It contains Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move, Under My Thumb, I'm Free, Satisfaction. Satisfaction is worth it alone. Finally a great live recording of their signature song, it's blistering. Prodigal Son & I'm Free are awesome as well, in fact they're all awesome.

The second bonus disc is of opening acts BB King/Ike & Tina Turner. Great as well. They were supposed to be included on the original album when it was released but that was scrapped over legal issues. Tina Turner singing Otis Reddings' I've Been Loving You To Long is as good as any of the Stones performances. Great all around.

There's a bonus DVD that includes the 5 bonus Stones songs from the bonus CD. I haven't watched it yet but it also includes backstage footage of them hanging with Hendrix, etc that you can find on youtube.

Great booklet too. Haven't read it all the way through yet but it has great photos I've never seen & it's in hardcover.

All in all the best Stones re-release that's been put out so far & I havent even gone through it all yet. I'll keep you posted when I've finished it all.

I got my copy from amazon.com Friday, but the DVD was scratched, so it freezes up and skips during the Jack the donkey part. Amazon is sending me another one, so when it comes I just have to switch the DVDs and send it back. That way I'm not at risk of getting another set with the other discs scratched. I hate those disc trays that they use on so many of the Deluxe Editions....you have to peel the disc off and if it turns while your peeling, you get a scratch going around the disc where it rubs on the tray.

Other than that, it's good. I've wanted a good recording of "Satisfaction" and "Under My Thumb" from the '69 tour for a long time. I was surprised that they did "I'm Free" a little different than the version on the Liver Than You'll Ever Be boot from the same tour.

I'm gonna catch alot of flack for this..but I've never been a big fan of live Stones. I much prefer their studio efforts. Exile is the closest non-live album with a live feel.

That being said, Ya Yas is good...and I'm sure if I one day spend the time and effort getting some boots, I'll be converted.

Archived