Patrick Swayze loses battle with cancer

Virginia

:'( This is a tough one for me; he was one of my favorites.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/14/patrick.swayze/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Patrick Swayze, whose good looks and sympathetic performances in films such as "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost," made him a romantic idol to millions, has died, his publicist told CNN affiliate KTLA. Swayze was 57.

Patrick Swayze's doctor revealed in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from pancreatic cancer.

Swayze died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. His doctor, Dr. George Fisher, revealed in early March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from the disease.

Swayze "passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," his publicist, Annett Wolf, said a statement released Monday evening, according to KTLA.

Most recently, Swayze starred in A&E Network's "The Beast," which debuted in January. He agreed to take the starring role of an undercover FBI agent before his diagnosis. The network agreed to shoot an entire season of the show after Swayze responded well to his cancer treatment.

In an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters in January, Swayze said his work on that show was exhausting, requiring 12 hour workdays in Chicago, Illinois, doing his own stunts. But he said the show's character "just felt right for my soul."

"If I leave this Earth, I want to leave this Earth just knowing I've tried to give something back and tried to do something worthwhile with myself," Swayze told Walters, when asked why he decided to do the show. "And that keeps me going, that gets me up in the morning. My work ... is my legacy."

Very sad to lose another to such a terrible disease. I recently watched "Dirty Dancing" for the first time, with my daughter. She was very excited watching the dance scenes. I saw "Ghost" at the movie theatre on a vacation to Pompano Beach with a long time bf and his family who had a second house there. At the time the movie was so hyped up i didn't like it as much as i did a few years later when i saw it again.

RIP Patrick.

I was sad to hear the news, I had the fortune to have met and had a short casual conversation with him on the set of "Roadhouse"

seemed like a very down to earth guy.

I can attest to the fact that he went through hell during his treatments, if only they had caught it sooner.

I'm sure near the end he was in no pain as they usually give terminal patients morphine so they don't suffer.

R.I.P. Brother.

His badass roles from The Outsiders and Roadhouse influence me in many ways and helped me become the man I am today! B)

I know at first hand (so far)that Cancer is terrible to battle, but knowing what Patrick was dealing with and still be able to put a smile on his face was always uplifting.

Sad news. I'm really sorry about this. He was a great actor and very brave man. He didn't give up and he was fighting with cancer until the last moment. I'll always remember him from such good movies like Dirty Dancing, Ghost, Roadhouse and few others. Really a good actor and man. He'll be missed. R.I.P. Patrick Swayze. :(

:'( This is a tough one for me; he was one of my favorites.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/14/patrick.swayze/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Patrick Swayze, whose good looks and sympathetic performances in films such as "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost," made him a romantic idol to millions, has died, his publicist told CNN affiliate KTLA. Swayze was 57.

Patrick Swayze's doctor revealed in March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from pancreatic cancer.

Swayze died Monday after a battle with pancreatic cancer. His doctor, Dr. George Fisher, revealed in early March 2008 that Swayze was suffering from the disease.

Swayze "passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," his publicist, Annett Wolf, said a statement released Monday evening, according to KTLA.

Most recently, Swayze starred in A&E Network's "The Beast," which debuted in January. He agreed to take the starring role of an undercover FBI agent before his diagnosis. The network agreed to shoot an entire season of the show after Swayze responded well to his cancer treatment.

In an interview with ABC's Barbara Walters in January, Swayze said his work on that show was exhausting, requiring 12 hour workdays in Chicago, Illinois, doing his own stunts. But he said the show's character "just felt right for my soul."

"If I leave this Earth, I want to leave this Earth just knowing I've tried to give something back and tried to do something worthwhile with myself," Swayze told Walters, when asked why he decided to do the show. "And that keeps me going, that gets me up in the morning. My work ... is my legacy."

How's it going "Virginia?" I hope all is well with you. HOLLYWOOD HAS LOST A LEGEND AND TEXAS HAS LOST A GREAT MAN! 2009 as well as the whole decade is not ending on a very high note is it? I was so overcome with emotion upon hearing the news of Swayze's death. Swayze gave and left behind some of Hollywood's all-time greatest movies ever. What Saturday Night Fever did for John Travolta in 1977 is what Dirty Dancing did for Patrick Swayze in 1987. Patrick Swayze will be missed. R.I.P. Patrick Swayze. Have a great weekend, take care and ROCK ON!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived