FICTION! Led Zeppelin's 2009-10 World Tour

SteveAJones

Don't get your panties in an uproar! ;) jabe posted this as an attack on southerners,me in particular,which I find rather hilarious since he lives in ALABAMY with a banjo on his knee. ;)

My southern brother, you misread my intent by 180 degrees. I damn proud to live in Alabama as well you are I'm sure to live in North Carolina. Reread and reread again. My point is being missed. Believe you me, I'd rather live nowhere else than the deep south. It's the folks who don't live here who don't 'get it'. Sorry you misinterpreted my intent. My apology to anyone from the south if you took this as a slam against us and our cultures. Rorer, I'll take the "banjo on my knee" as a compliment any day. Outsiders haven't a clue if you catch my drift.

Just Confirmed.... Led Zeppelin will "land" at the Lakehurst Naval Base in NJ, and will perform Outside Hanger #1, on Thursday, May 6th, 2010.

The large open field outside Hanger #1 will provide pleanty of room for tens of thousands of Zeppelin fans to see and hear them perform. A gigantic video screen will be used as a backdrop to Hanger #1.

The irony of the concert date is not lost on the band. But, as Jimmy explained to the Press, "May 6th, was logistically the only date that was available to us."

The US Air Force is now custodian of the Lakehurst Facility, and will begin managing the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst operation on September 30, 2009.

Just Confirmed.... Led Zeppelin will "land" at the Lakehurst Naval Base in NJ, and will perform Outside Hanger #1, on Thursday, May 6th, 2010.

The large open field outside Hanger #1 will provide pleanty of room for tens of thousands of Zeppelin fans to see and hear them perform. A gigantic video screen will be used as a backdrop to Hanger #1.

The irony of the concert date is not lost on the band. But, as Jimmy explained to the Press, "May 6th, was logistically the only date that was available to us."

The US Air Force is now custodian of the Lakehurst Facility, and will begin managing the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst operation on September 30, 2009.

FACT

It has been rumored that Jimmy will be dusting off his Storm Trooper Boots and hat for this show ! ! ! :thumbsup:

My southern brother, you misread my intent by 180 degrees. I damn proud to live in Alabama as well you are I'm sure to live in North Carolina. Reread and reread again. My point is being missed. Believe you me, I'd rather live nowhere else than the deep south. It's the folks who don't live here who don't 'get it'. Sorry you misinterpreted my intent. My apology to anyone from the south if you took this as a slam against us and our cultures. Rorer, I'll take the "banjo on my knee" as a compliment any day. Outsiders haven't a clue if you catch my drift.

:thumbsup:

Don't get your panties in an uproar! ;) jabe posted this as an attack on southerners,me in particular,which I find rather hilarious since he lives in ALABAMY with a banjo on his knee. ;)

That's alright, I live in Alabama myself also. "Southern man don't need him around anyhow" :D

EDIT:Lol, I posted that classic line without knowing that Bigdan already said it, sorry :D

FICTION

Last nights show was another great time to be had by all. Was late again. Have to remember to turn my watch forward :) . Was in the back rows but glad to be there just the same. Each night presents a new show as the sets are not always the same. Keeps it fresh and the unexpected is exciting. I am happily exhuasted for all this partying and concert overload. Had to hurry and catch a red eye home as the hubby is missing my presence but am making plans for my road trip for the Boston show. Hope to see some of you there.

Realistic sidenotes

I always enjoy reading the real life experiences of those who were lucky enough to see LZ. I sometimes search the back pages of the forum and find those. Have to say I hadn't seen the ones ledded1 has so graciously sent here. I have a bit of envy for those who have those memories as I never did get to see LZ in my concert going days and even as I read the words of real life experiences they most likely cannot convey the excitment and euphoria surrounding actually attending one the those events. So I play the game here to try and get a sense of what it might have been like even though I know it cannot compare to real life.

My brother in law is a computer geek yet loves football so he plays fantasy football. Not that JP will ever relent to releasing Guitar Hero but how many forum members would be first in line for that? One can only dream can't they.

FACT

ledzepfvr, never hurts to dream:-)

FICTION

So where are we forum fans headed this weekend?

FACT

ledzepfvr, never hurts to dream:-)

FICTION

So where are we forum fans headed this weekend?

FICTION

I've been planning an itinery for my road trip for the Boston Show on 10/11/09. My husband has checked the car out and we packed a case of oil for the "controlled oil seapage" that British cars are notorious for. We will be leaving early tomarrow morning.

Deborah, Did you go to the Atlanta show?

FICTION

I've been planning an itinery for my road trip for the Boston Show on 10/11/09. My husband has checked the car out and we packed a case of oil for the "controlled oil seapage" that British cars are notorious for. We will be leaving early tomarrow morning.

Deborah, Did you go to the Atlanta show?

FICTION

The Atlanta events were awesome, completely different set list than the Montreal & MSG events. I was in a private suite, but I know Nathan was close to the stage. I bet he has a great recap of both events!!

FICTION

The Atlanta events were awesome, completely different set list than the Montreal & MSG events. I was in a private suite, but I know Nathan was close to the stage. I bet he has a great recap of both events!!

Nathan is quite the eloquent young man. I'm certainly looking forward to his perspective(s) on this occasion. One thing for sure... Nathan will not disappoint!

FICTION

I wonder when Led Zeppelin is going to preview some material from their upcoming new album during the tour? The Montreal & New York shows didn't have any of the new songs in the set, unless they did last night in Atlanta. And I haven't heard any more info about the title, when it's going to be released, etc. Anyone else heard anything?

^

FICTION

Two new tunes were played from the new album both at Philips and at Smith's: "Space is Empty" and "Wonder World". Both are kinda cliche but really nice (IMO).

"Space is Empty" is just kind of a question about why we're so obsessed with space when we still haven't really explored the entirety of our own planet.

At Philips Arena, Plant described "Wonder World" as "a song about my... um... I guess... view of the world that has grown since my days touring with Led Zeppelin in 1968 up to today."

We JUST got out of the Smith's show, and I have a LOT to say about this amazing, intimate night. I'll write up my review of it and post it when done. As far as the Philips show... it was also an amazing show. There was no opening. Since both TCV and Alison ended up being at the acoustic gig, Zeppelin did this one by themselves. The setlist went like this:

-Good Times Bad Times

-Ramble On (*Plant sang all the words in the chorus, this time!)

-Over the Hills and Far Away

-Space is Empty

-I Can't Quit You Baby (*I don't think this one was planned... it took the band a second to realize what Plant was singing... :D)

-Misty Mountain Hop (*which, just like in '73, segued right into:)

-Since I've Been Loving You (*with that trademark connecting solo Jimmy does... and he nailed it)

-Dazed and Confused (*they took it over 15 minutes!)

-White Summer/Black Mountain

-Wonder World

-Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (*Josh Homme did join them for this one on second guitar... which really gave Page room to do a little more with his playing... they didn't play it acoustic, but it was closer to the studio version with a second guitarist... but then Page also took an extended, very awesome solo before the outro... it was very cool)

-Trampled Under [Gallows Pole!]

-Nobody's Fault but Mine

-Hots on for Nowhere (*Plant did not censor "I've got friends who give me fuck all"... in fact, he emphasized the word "fuck" with a huge grin on his face)

-For Your Life

-Tea For One

-Kashmir

-Communication Breakdown

-Whole Lotta Love

-Rock and Roll

-Black Dog

-Bring it on Home

They did 5 encores (all songs in their entirety... no medleys... all were pretty much exact to the album versions except they did that jam in the middle of BIOH... Page, Jones, and Bonham sang the harmonies during the CB outro! And you could hear them extremely well!).

I was kinda hoping Deborah would take this review so I could work on the Smith's gig review, but I can do a quick review of this show, too, by tomorrow, if wanted. The Smith's gig is gonna take me a while. I have a lot to write... ;)

ETA:

It was great meeting ms_zeppelin94, Deborah J, and their dates for the pre-show rehearsal. I think y'all had as much fun hanging out with Led Zeppelin as I did... especially at the bar... I was personally quite glad to find out that Jimmy Page still likes Jack Daniels. We shared, I think, 3 glasses while playing guitar.

Although I have to say... playing guitar alongside Jimmy Page is... um... nerve-wracking. Especially in front of other people. ms_zeppelin94 and Deborah J can testify to this, but playing alongside Page kinda showed me just how much of an amateur I really am. The likes of me should not be playing alongside a god like Page... :blush:

FICTION

Left work today and am on my vacation journey which will climax in Boston. When I got home my tickets were waiting for me. Just in time. I was hoping LZ would be playing at Fenway Park but since the Angels clenched the AL West :cheer: they sent the Red Sox into the playoffs as a wildcard, so baseball season isn't over there. Maybe after the concert we can fulfill my husbands fantasy of seeing the Sox at Fenway. They are playing the House of Blues right after Them Crooked Vultures. Nice billing and sure makes it easy for JPJ. Had heard there might be a guest player sometime during the show. Will just have to wait and see.

FICTION

I'll go ahead with a short pre-show story

ms_zeppelin94, Deborah J, and their dates joined my date and I about 2hours before the show. There was a specific entrance designated for those of us who got to hang out with Led Zeppelin and see the pre-show rehearsal. Now, I personally expected there to be a bit of a crowd fort his, but I obviously was wrong about the number of these tickets given away.

There were 12 people total. Obviously ms_zeppelin94, Deborah J, their dates, and my date and I were there. There were two other couples, as well, but that was it. So either only 12 tickets were won, or there were only 12 tickets to win...

Anyways...

We somehow all managed to get there about 15 minutes before Led Zeppelin, and about 4 of us decided, instead of being bored, to help out some of the roadies. I actually managed to talk my way into helping set up Page's guitars. I got to handle both his signature Les Pauls, his Black Beauty, one of his hollow-bodies, and his double-neck (that one he ended up not using, though)! Having very little money in general, the closest I ever got to a signature Page LP before this was drooling at one that was behind a glass case for 10minutes at the Sam Ash in New York City.

So anyways, about 15 minutes later, Led Zeppelin comes in. Security guards looked at us kind of menacingly, but the boys looked hurried and all 12 of us were polite and didn't bombard them. They went straight to their dressing rooms. About 5 minutes later, Page came out. He got to talking to all of us, and after another 5 minutes,Plant, Jones, and Jason came out. We all walked over to a back-stage bar that was set up (it was more for snacks then drinks, although there were a few drinks there), sat around a large table, and talked until it was time for the pre-show soundcheck/rehearsal. The 12 of us then went out into the stadium (this place holds 21,000 people for a concert, and there were only 12 of us... so you can imagine the amount of empty space... it was almost creepy :D) and found some seats while Led Zeppelin set up on stage. Their soundcheck, rehearsal setlist was:

-The Crunge (no keyboard; straight through)

-You Shook Me 1

-Break; feedback issues (Plant's mic); banter

-You Shook Me 2

-Still feedback issues (Page's guitar, actually); more banter

-You Shook Me 3 (they managed to finish it this time)

-Blues Jam (this was to make sure Josh Homme was good in the mix... asI said earlier, he joined them for Babe I'm Gonna Leave You)

-A Mess of the Blues

-No Quarter (the instrumental, solo section... to test and mix Jones's keyboard)

-Tangerine(Earl's Court version, to test the balance-levels and to be sure that Page, Jones, and Bonham Jr could all be heard in their mics for the harmonies and stuff)

During the soundcheck, I noticed multiple cameras on and off-stage being set up. For the big screens, of course, but a part of me wondered if it was being recorded or just shot for the screens.

Afterwords, we were all invited backstage again, and after getting autographs, we all just started milling around waiting for show time (there was about an hour before we'd have to go find our seats). Once back stage, I asked Plant if they were actually recording the show (that is, not just for the screens), and he said there's a chance tonight's show might be used for an official live release if the show is any good.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After getting over that excitement, I noticed a couple small practice guitar-amps backstage, and I asked the roadie in charge of Page's guitars if I could play one. He said no, but Page had heard and he came over and said that I could. I asked him which one and he said "pick one". So I picked up his number 2 signature, and the roadie gave me a chord to plug it in. I kind of milled around for a sec, thinking (more like hoping) everyone had started ignoring me. So I started lightly playing a song I had written called "Middle Man" (FACT: this is actually a song I have written). I got through one verse and chorus of it, when I heard a couple pops to the side of me. I was too in to what I was playing to notice, but I did have to take notice when I heard Page start soloing over my riff! A few others came around to listen, and I strummed as Page soloed. He then started watching me intently, and started playing my riff... then told me to solo. Um... yeah... right... I tried... and Page is a god... and I'm an amateur.

Page took another solo, but then, at 8:30, we were told it was showtime, so we had to quit. Page winked at me as I walked off... embarrassed (my date said it was awesome... I said "I will never solo in front of Page again..." :slapface:).

The 12 of us fans each went to our separate seats. Fans who only had tickets to the show itself had started to pour in at 8:00 (as well as the celebrities who had already gotten off the red carpet and inside), so the stadium was practically full when we came out via the stage and into the crowd.

It was another half hour before Zep came on at 9:00.

FICTION

Left work today and am on my vacation journey which will climax in Boston. When I got home my tickets were waiting for me. Just in time. I was hoping LZ would be playing at Fenway Park but since the Angels clenched the AL West :cheer: they sent the Red Sox into the playoffs as a wildcard, so baseball season isn't over there. Maybe after the concert we can fulfill my husbands fantasy of seeing the Sox at Fenway. They are playing the House of Blues right after Them Crooked Vultures. Nice billing and sure makes it easy for JPJ. Had heard there might be a guest player sometime during the show. Will just have to wait and see.

FICTION

Hope you have a safe trip, ledzepfvr. My husband & I will be flying up to Boston for the Zep/TCV show, so maybe we'll see you guys there.

FICTION

After getting over that excitement, I noticed a couple small practice guitar-amps backstage, and I asked the roadie in charge of Page's guitars if I could play one. He said no, but Page had heard and he came over and said that I could. I asked him which one and he said "pick one". So I picked up his number 2 signature, and the roadie gave me a chord to plug it in. I kind of milled around for a sec, thinking (more like hoping) everyone had started ignoring me. So I started lightly playing a song I had written called "Middle Man" (FACT: this is actually a song I have written). I got through one verse and chorus of it, when I heard a couple pops to the side of me. I was too in to what I was playing to notice, but I did have to take notice when I heard Page start soloing over my riff! A few others came around to listen, and I strummed as Page soloed. He then started watching me intently, and started playing my riff... then told me to solo. Um... yeah... right... I tried... and Page is a god... and I'm an amateur.

Page took another solo, but then, at 8:30, we were told it was showtime, so we had to quit. Page winked at me as I walked off... embarrassed (my date said it was awesome... I said "I will never solo in front of Page again..." :slapface:).

FICTION

Wow Nathan!! That is surely a dream come true and a night to remember!

Great work Nathan, truly great writing.

One question though, did the post concert festivities head toward the Varsity, or possibly the Cheetah?

Any after concert winddown I'd love to read about if you care to expound.

FICTION

Great work Nathan, truly great writing.

One question though, did the post concert festivities head toward the Varsity, or possibly the Cheetah?

Any after concert winddown I'd love to read about if you care to expound.

Uh... my after-concert wind-down with my date is private... ;)

LOL

Actually... we spent a little bit more time with Led Zeppelin (I actually helped to put away the guitars), then my date and I met up with a taper by the name of Travis Miller (a fellow Days of the New fan) and a group of other friends, and we all went to, of all places, Waffle House. We were pretty much trying to come to terms with the reality of what happened... and my date, Travis, and I were already mentally preparing for the next night at Smith's.

Speaking of...

Here's what was played at Smith's Olde Bar (I'm including the soundcheck since we got to see it):

Soundcheck:

-Blues Medley (reminiscent of Hats Off to Roy Harper, though with bass and drums) [for Led Zeppelin]

-Down to the River to Pray (Alison Krauss) [for Alison Krauss with Led Zeppelin and Them Crooked Vultures]

-A Mess of the Blues [for everyone {Zep, Krauss, & Vultures}]

-Are You Gonna be my Girl? (Jet) [for Them Crooked Vultures with Led Zeppelin]

Main Show:

-Hey Hey What can I Do?

-Tangerine

-Your Time is Gonna Come

-Thank You

-Hots on for Nowhere

-Space is Empty

-Dazed and Confused (with Josh Homme)

-All of My Love

-Paved Death (with Them Crooked Vultures)

-Dead End Friends (with Them Crooked Vultures)

-Battle of Evermore (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Black Country Woman

-Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

-Bron-Yr-Aur

-Wonder World

-Hats (Off) to Roy Harper (more of a parody of the song, actually... and incomplete)

-Scumbag Blues (with Them Crooked Vultures)

-Modern-Times Blues (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Gallows Pole (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Whole Lotta Love (medley) (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Boogie with Stu excerpt/Rock and Roll (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Poor Tom (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Nobody's Fault but Mine (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss) [Page/Plant version, though with Jones on keyboard... and he delivered an incredible keyboard solo]

-Black Dog (with Josh Homme)

-Stairway to Heaven short version (Page/Plant)

First off, again... this was all acoustic (only Jones's keyboard was electric... and his setting was acoustic grand piano the whole night). Also, that split in the middle is because the show was supposed to end with Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, but the management said, if they wanted to, Led Zeppelin could stay on for another hour, and they did. Black Dog and the abbreviated Stairway were the encores.

FICTION

Hope you have a safe trip, ledzepfvr. My husband & I will be flying up to Boston for the Zep/TCV show, so maybe we'll see you guys there.

FICTION

Thanks Stargroves. Our first day went well. We woke up before the crack of dawn to start the adventure. My intention was to travel old Route 66 but most of the road is either missing or in such disrepair that we had to take Interstate 40 in the interest of time to make it to our first stop. We arrived 315 miles later in Williams AZ in time for a hearty breakfast at the train depot and hop the steam train to the Grand Canyon at 10:00. The ride started in desert terrain and slowly changed to mountainous as we gradually ascended. We were entertained by western singers who roamed throughout the train cars. We arrived about 2 hours later and it was a short walk over to the south rim. What a sight to behold. A colorful multi-layerd chasm six million years in the making and still going on. Ten miles wide to the north rim, a mile deep and 277 river miles long. As I stand on the rim's edge looking down I wonder if Led Zeppelin ever had chances to see this or other amazing sites the U.S. has to offer. I hope so. I feel sure they must have seen it from 30,000 feet in the air, as have I, and that is a site to see from that vantage point because you can actually grasp just how long and big this hole in the Earth is.

We check out all the scenic points, the charming old hotels, have a light lunch at the Bright Angel Lodge and catch the late afternoon train back to Williams. The train came to an abrupt stop close to Williams as we are being held up by robbers whose intent is to releive me of the gold caps on my teeth. :D Bed time comes early as we have another early start. Next stop, Santa Fe NM.

post-13145-12544544895_thumb.jpg

I just realized that we will be in Texas on Oct 3. :o My intention was to stop in Amarillo and check out the Zoo. Forget that plan. We'll just have to detour to Arlington to the Cowboy Stadium for the show there. Hopefully I can snag some tickets and meet up with THE ROVER amoungst the other 112,000 people.

FACTUAL SIDENOTE

Yes, that is a photo of me and my husband at the GC 3 years ago New Years Eve. It was a much colder time of year as I look to be dressed for Siberia. I did write an article on a California trip on Route 66 in case any one is interested in extra reading.

http://goldenstate.ply33.com/newsArticle?article_id=84

Fact: Paved Death is a hoax and has nothing to do with Them Crooked Vultures.

FACT

Yes, I know. I wanted to include it, anyways. I did like the tune, even if it was a fake, and... after all... this is a fantasy thing, right? So, at this fantasy concert, why can't Paved Death be a TCV song?

FICTION

Uh... my after-concert wind-down with my date is private... ;)

LOL

Actually... we spent a little bit more time with Led Zeppelin (I actually helped to put away the guitars), then my date and I met up with a taper by the name of Travis Miller (a fellow Days of the New fan) and a group of other friends, and we all went to, of all places, Waffle House. We were pretty much trying to come to terms with the reality of what happened... and my date, Travis, and I were already mentally preparing for the next night at Smith's.

Speaking of...

Here's what was played at Smith's Olde Bar (I'm including the soundcheck since we got to see it):

Soundcheck:

-Blues Medley (reminiscent of Hats Off to Roy Harper, though with bass and drums) [for Led Zeppelin]

-Down to the River to Pray (Alison Krauss) [for Alison Krauss with Led Zeppelin and Them Crooked Vultures]

-A Mess of the Blues [for everyone {Zep, Krauss, & Vultures}]

-Are You Gonna be my Girl? (Jet) [for Them Crooked Vultures with Led Zeppelin]

Main Show:

-Hey Hey What can I Do?

-Tangerine

-Your Time is Gonna Come

-Thank You

-Hots on for Nowhere

-Space is Empty

-Dazed and Confused (with Josh Homme)

-All of My Love

-Paved Death (with Them Crooked Vultures)

-Dead End Friends (with Them Crooked Vultures)

-Battle of Evermore (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Black Country Woman

-Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

-Bron-Yr-Aur

-Wonder World

-Hats (Off) to Roy Harper (more of a parody of the song, actually... and incomplete)

-Scumbag Blues (with Them Crooked Vultures)

-Modern-Times Blues (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Gallows Pole (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Whole Lotta Love (medley) (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Boogie with Stu excerpt/Rock and Roll (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Poor Tom (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss)

-Nobody's Fault but Mine (with Them Crooked Vultures and Alison Krauss) [Page/Plant version, though with Jones on keyboard... and he delivered an incredible keyboard solo]

-Black Dog (with Josh Homme)

-Stairway to Heaven short version (Page/Plant)

First off, again... this was all acoustic (only Jones's keyboard was electric... and his setting was acoustic grand piano the whole night). Also, that split in the middle is because the show was supposed to end with Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, but the management said, if they wanted to, Led Zeppelin could stay on for another hour, and they did. Black Dog and the abbreviated Stairway were the encores.

FICTION

Nathan, ms_zeppelin94 and myself had an ubelievable time! The Smith's Old Bar was the best. I never dreamed it was going to be so intimate. The Philips Arena Event, the set list was amazing. The crowd was so diverse, from young to older, great to be there and see this. Being allowed to go backstage was another event I will always rememeber.

Nathan watching you spend time with Jimmy, and the expression on your face was priceless!!

Archived