Blues/Jazz greats

BonzoLikeDrumer

I'd thought I'd seen them all until I stumbled on this guy :slapface: . All I can say is WOW! What a player! B)

:yesnod: Wow very nice! I've always loved piano rags. You a Scott Joplin fan? I am, ever since the movie The Sting. :D I play "Easy Piano" versions of two of his popular rags: "Maple Leaf Rag" and "The Easy Winner", and a little of "The Entertainer". :beer:

:yesnod: Wow very nice! I've always loved piano rags. You a Scott Joplin fan? I am, ever since the movie The Sting. :D I play "Easy Piano" versions of two of his popular rags: "Maple Leaf Rag" and "The Easy Winner", and a little of "The Entertainer". :beer:

I'm a Scott Joplin fan too :D The Entertainer is great fun to play on the piano B)

Hi ninelives! Scott Joplin was a genius, needless to say. Ahead of his time. My very favorite rags is Maple Leaf Rag and The Pineapple Rag. He wanted so much to present his opera to the public, of which he was so proud. I read somewhere that he died brokenhearted over the poor reception of what he considered to be his magnum opus. :( And, wow, you play The Entertainer? That song is difficult to me because of the very weird progressions! You must be good if you can play that! :D:beer:

Hi EL Love that performance of "Maple Leaf"! Yes, that's the real version that I wish I could play! haha. It's in a different key from my "EZ" arrangement, lots of accidentals. LOL I'm in love with that bridge part. :):beer:

Hi BonzoLikeDrumer! I noticed on your embedded video a sign that said "Memphis Blues". Was that the piece that the guy was playing? Nice! :beer:

Hi ninelives! Scott Joplin was a genius, needless to say. Ahead of his time. My very favorite rags is Maple Leaf Rag and The Pineapple Rag. He wanted so much to present his opera to the public, of which he was so proud. I read somewhere that he died brokenhearted over the poor reception of what he considered to be his magnum opus. :( And, wow, you play The Entertainer? That song is difficult to me because of the very weird progressions! You must be good if you can play that! :D:beer:

Hi EL Love that performance of "Maple Leaf"! Yes, that's the real version that I wish I could play! haha. It's in a different key from my "EZ" arrangement, lots of accidentals. LOL I'm in love with that bridge part. :):beer:

Hi BonzoLikeDrumer! I noticed on your embedded video a sign that said "Memphis Blues". Was that the piece that the guy was playing? Nice! :beer:

Hi Fan_S :wave: I can play it but I wouldn't say very well :lol: I didn't know that about him - what a shame :(

Hi Fan_S :wave: I can play it but I wouldn't say very well :lol: I didn't know that about him - what a shame :(

Hello, ninelives! Speaking of Joplin, my first boyfriend (many many æons ago, haha) lent me an album with Scott Joplin rags transcribed for the guitar. The guitarist's name is Dave Laibman (his day job was economics professor @ Brooklyn College). Anyway, he played all Joplin rags on his album. What an ace of all trades Prof. Laibman was! The boyfriend doesn't know I still have his album (haha). Hope he doesn't know I "purloined" it after he wrote to me a "dear Jane" letter. :lol::beer:

Hello, ninelives! Speaking of Joplin, my first boyfriend (many many æons ago, haha) lent me an album with Scott Joplin rags transcribed for the guitar. The guitarist's name is Dave Laibman (his day job was economics professor @ Brooklyn College). Anyway, he played all Joplin rags on his album. What an ace of all trades Prof. Laibman was! The boyfriend doesn't know I still have his album (haha). Hope he doesn't know I "purloined" it after he wrote to me a "dear Jane" letter. :lol::beer:

:lol::D How interesting the guitarist was an econ professor! Is the album good? Sounds interesting.

Well, I'm sorry to confess, but I told you a tiny lie. I had the album, yes, but I've since misplaced it several apartments ago. :P Too bad, but it was a good album, tho'. It was just Laibman playing solo, but á la the great Jimmy Page, it sounded like an "army of guitars". :beer:

Well, I'm sorry to confess, but I told you a tiny lie. I had the album, yes, but I've since misplaced it several apartments ago. :P Too bad, but it was a good album, tho'. It was just Laibman playing solo, but á la the great Jimmy Page, it sounded like an "army of guitars". :beer:

No worries :) It'd be interesting to hear the music on guitar. I hate when music goes missing in a move though :(

:yesnod: Definitely. Along with that album I've lost many. :( ... Including one of Gershwin jazzy piano pieces performed by Joshua Rifkin (also a Joplin fanatic) entitled "My Favorite Gershwin". This was the greatest piano album if you wanted people in your party to get up and do the Charleston or jitterbug or any of the great hip ballroom dances. Reminds me of the old days. :) Much like the BonzoLikeDrumer guy in the video. haha. :beer:

Hey Fan_S how are ya?... No, "The Memphis Blues", is a song composed by WC Handy who is know as "The Father of the Blues". About the same time as Jazz was being born (around 1917), WC Handy was recording three song's having the word "Blues" in there title's. "Memphis Blues", "St. Louis Blue's" and "Beale Street Blues", these are the first "Blue's" songs ever recorded. :D

The guy (Jim Hession) in the video I posted is a "stride" piano player sort of a style of playing any type of music on a piano. B)

http://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/results/results.aspx?q=stride%20piano%20player&c=web&tid={FB5C14D3-44C1-89C8-AD4C-BB43F122FB32}&l=fl13&v=4&s=TBS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WC_Handy

Handy was a bit younger than Joplin but there are some thing's that would make one think that the music is the same but it's not really if you you ask me. :)

:beer: Hi BonzoLikeDrumer! :wave: I'm fine, how are you? :D Hey thanks for the brushing up of my knowledge of the likes of W.C. Handy and pianist Jim Hession--"stride" style pianist. I heard that composer/performer, Thomas "Fats" Waller also loved that "stride piano sound"! :toast:

:yesnod: Yes, I agree. Waller wrote a song called "The Jitterbug Waltz" which was beautifully haunting in the way it progressed--half steps up, augmented chords, diminished chords, etc. Later on, when I heard Zeppelin's "I'm Gonna Crawl", it reminded me of "The Jitterbug Waltz". Sooooo beautiful and different from each other--but similar ideas composition-wise. :beer:

Archived