When did Led Zep Jump the Shark?

dassvenster

If I shall be bold enough to venture into these waters...one could argue 1973 had the first signs of trouble with Plant's voice needing repair and Jonesy having second thoughts about continuing. I'd probably go with August 1975 as being the first major turning point in a negative way, throw in the doom and gloom of the 1977 tour and well, we all know the rest.

PG is good from start to finish, both I and II.

Mm - I definitely agree that there is no big drop-off. PG does have great tracks on and, as I say, I love the opener and closer of Presence as much as anything they've done. But it's about the proportion of great tracks to filler. The first 4 LPs are flawless, pretty much and Houses of the Holy is pretty close, but can the same be said for PG and Presence?

Mm - I definitely agree that there is no big drop-off. PG does have great tracks on and, as I say, I love the opener and closer of Presence as much as anything they've done. But it's about the proportion of great tracks to filler. The first 4 LPs are flawless, pretty much and Houses of the Holy is pretty close, but can the same be said for PG and Presence?

It depends on who you ask. I prefer PG than the second LP. I think Presence is a great album, maybe a little short of the "light and shade". And I trully love ITTOD.

It depends on who you ask really. I absolutely love Presence. It's a radical departure from their prior albums IMO and I love the sense of urgency it conveys to my ears. PG also ranks up there in my top Zep albums for a ton of reasons.

I honestly love all the Zeppelin albums. I don't think they were losing it, more like changing. Picking a favorite "time period" of Zepplin's is like choosing a child. Though they are different, both are loved just as much as the other.

I go through phases when I prefer one to another.

If anything, PG is probably their best album imo.

I agree. And the reason why is because it was a reflection (albeit with leftovers/outakes)of different time periods for Zep. Lots of songs were from pre 1974.

I get the 'jist' of what the guy who wrote the article is trying to say. Being unbiased, I don't see Presence or ITTOT as chock full to the brim of great songs (unlike their first 6 albums which were) but he went over the top somewhat.

The first 4 LPs are flawless, pretty much and Houses of the Holy is pretty close, but can the same be said for PG and Presence?

At most you could only say there are 2 or 3 'filler' tracks on PG. Possibly Boogie with Stu and The Wanton Song ('maybe' Sick Again) but even these are still pretty good. The rest are damn good to great.

I could nitpick with Houses Of The Holy. It sounds so compressed when compared to the live versions of the songs in The Song Remains The Same.

Definitely one of the reasons why I'd keep Houses of the Holy on the right side of the line is that they were still trying new stuff out. It was a massive departure from IV, I think - particularly a track like The Crunge. It's not my favourite track by a long way, but at least they were experimenting. My biggest criticisms are always reserved for those bands that just started churning out a formula (see Oasis at.. http://www.cutyourhair.org/?p=41)..

I know what and where the phrase, "Jump the Shark", means and comes from ("Happy Days", when Fonzie jumps a shark somewhere in Los Angeles, California). It seems to mean "when did your favorite show suddenly slide downhill" and become irrelevant (or something like that). In this case, someone seems to be asking "when did Led Zeppelin and/or their music slide downhill" and become irrelevant. MY PERSONAL ANSWER: NEVER. How could a group as profound and influential as the "Mighty Led Zeppelin" ever (to use your topic and terminology) "Jump the Shark"? I mean no disrespect to the author of this topic, but I completely disagree with even the whole notion that Led Zeppelin ever jumped anything except the thousands of willing females that sought them out. And we all know that that is a topic that is worthy of itself.

I honestly love all the Zeppelin albums. I don't think they were losing it, more like changing. Picking a favorite "time period" of Zepplin's is like choosing a child. Though they are different, both are loved just as much as the other.

I go through phases when I prefer one to another.

Hi Madders,

The way you have discribed it seems perfect to me, only i dont prefer one to another, i love em all just the same, each to his/her own then i suppose?

Kind Regards, Danny

Jimmy attempting The Star Spangled Banner in '77 comes to mind, if not that then the offering of ringtones.

Honestly, I'd tend to agree with both of those answers. A case could be made for both the Live Aid and Atlantic Records 40th reunions as well. But even ITTOD has moments of sheer musical brilliance that stand out now more than when the album came out and was critically dismissed.

I'd say Live Aid or Atlantic 40th.

None of their albums, IMO, are bad. And my fist is reserved for any ass who insists on holding Presence in front of my face as their worst moment, especially as Presence is my favorite Zeppelin album. :P;)

I think, even in '77 and '80, the Zep had some good shows pushed among the bad. Really, we have more examples of good shows from '77 then bad (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago [especially the last show]). I think every band has their best and worst, but Zeppelin's worst is so much better then many's best that it's forgivable, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Zeppelin really jumped the shark musically any more than The Beatles did. If Zeppelin made a poor choice it's the "TSRTS" movie, much like The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" movie. Most of us were grateful that we had any footage of them for years & thankfully the DVD came in 2003 to give us something closer to a live Led Zeppelin experience rather than those silly fantasy scenes interspersed with the band "playing" on a sound stage with bad edits from the MSG shows. The band members are even embaressed by them & Page wasn't happy with the film even when it came out in '76. I'm aware of why the movie came out so there's no need to defend it & rehash the reasons why. As far as one album not being not as strong as an earlier one or whatever band member wasn't as good on a later tour is all very nitpicky. Some mistakes just happen, that's life. "TSRTS" was planned as a good idea... obviously it wasn't & it's preserved forever with those ridiculous moments. It contains all the moments that make me as a die hard Zeppelin fan wince. I know some people here look at it with nostalgia, I'm not one of them. Thank goodness for the DVD to redeem that nonsense.

Yup, so that would be the moment.

My opinion? Never.

They never got the chance.There were a few times where they approached the ramp,most of which have been noted above,but never did they completely jump.One could argue that,had Bonzo lived,they would have-especially considering all of the shit that came out in the 80s....but then again,it could also be argued that if Led Zeppelin had made it to the 80s intact,they would've kept the shit in check.

Think about it:By 1980,so many were "influenced" (read:ripping off) Led Zeppelin that when they disbanded,a lot of musicians-and I use that term loosely-lost their prime motivators (suppliers of ideas),so they went in their own direction,like sheep without a shepherd.

Did they ever.....:rolleyes:

Well it couldn't go on forever - when do people think Led Zep jumped the shark?

http://www.cutyourhair.org/?p=25

Hi "dassvenster!" How are you? In my opinion, the only shark that the mighty LED ZEPPELIN jumped was the one that was in the bathtub in a hotel room with a groupie with the attendance of VANILLA FUDGE! Ha Ha! ROCK ON FOREVER!

Archived