Backmasking

harp0

First of all I know that some of or most of you will roll your eyes at this post. So before I go on, I wish to give my apologies to members of this group that are offended and let you know that you can skip the rest of this topic. Maybe I'll do better next time. That said let me get to my point:

I think we all know what backmasking is, and I'm sure most of us know about the connection to Stairway to Heaven. Personally I think that if anyone has the time in there life to play records backwards, listening for hidden messages then maybe they should find a hobby or something more meaningful. I've heard the Stairway bit that supposedly has the hidden message and I think it's a bunch of bull-(dung). If a person played Perry Como records backwards I'm sure they could find hidden messages, as people will hear what they want to hear.

With that said Led Zep set themselves up for this controversy with Pages connections to Aleister Crowley and a general mystic that was produced by Zeppelin to create an image.

Also backmasking is a very real thing and has been done many times. One of my favorite songs by ELO, Fire On High, includes some backmasking. The reason why people freaked out about backwards recording was that some people thought that it could subliminally influence people. In 1983 a California bill was introduced to prevent backmasking that"can manipulate our behavior without our knowledge or consent and turnus into disciples of the Antichrist.

I was curious about others thoughts on this subject.

I don't believe in backmasking nor think anyone used it.

Sorry but quite a few bands used backmasking, this is not an opinion, it's a fact. That's not to say backmasking had any subliminal effects, or any of that kind of garbage. I don't think Zep ever used it though, even though they were accused of it. In this case it was used for comical or satirical effect. Here is an excerpt about ELO's Fire On High.

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_On_High

"Fire On High" is the opening instrumental track from the 1975 Electric Light Orchestra album Face the Music.

The song was the UK B-side to the band's worldwide hit single Livin' Thing issued in blue vinyl and later included in an edited form minus the backwards vocals as the flip side of the US hit single Sweet Talkin' Woman in 1978

The album version contains an opening with a backward message.When the song is played backwards, the message, in a masked heavyvoice, can be heard stating, "The music is reversible but time is not.Turn back. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back." - ostensibly Jeff Lynne's shot at backmasking hysteria, after satanic allegations were made against their song "Eldorado" by Fundamentalist Christianity members.[1] Snippets of "Messiah" by Handel can be heard as well.

This controversy started back in 1982 by two California politicians looking to censor rock music. However, Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' has nothing to do with backmasking. If you play a live version of the song backwards you'll hear an approximation of "the words" some claim to hear when the studio version is played backwards. It's purely coincidental and some hear what they want to hear. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have both rebuked this.

First of all I know that some of or most of you will roll your eyes at this post. So before I go on, I wish to give my apologies to members of this group that are offended and let you know that you can skip the rest of this topic. Maybe I'll do better next time. That said let me get to my point:

I think we all know what backmasking is, and I'm sure most of us know about the connection to Stairway to Heaven. Personally I think that if anyone has the time in there life to play records backwards, listening for hidden messages then maybe they should find a hobby or something more meaningful. I've heard the Stairway bit that supposedly has the hidden message and I think it's a bunch of bull-(dung). If a person played Perry Como records backwards I'm sure they could find hidden messages, as people will hear what they want to hear.

With that said Led Zep set themselves up for this controversy with Pages connections to Aleister Crowley and a general mystic that was produced by Zeppelin to create an image.

Also backmasking is a very real thing and has been done many times. One of my favorite songs by ELO, Fire On High, includes some backmasking. The reason why people freaked out about backwards recording was that some people thought that it could subliminally influence people. In 1983 a California bill was introduced to prevent backmasking that"can manipulate our behavior without our knowledge or consent and turnus into disciples of the Antichrist.

I don't really care, but care enough to answer your question because you asked it. :)

I think it's possible Led Zeppelin popularized backmasking without even doing it!

I just don't see the value in it.

I think it started as an attempt to align rock with negativity, where Satanism is implied as negative.

Sex & drugs were seen as evil so why not assume Satan must be responsible and that there is some sort of conspiracy. It's probably not all bullshit but I bet most of it is.

Even if it was all true, I wouldn't care, but then again wouldn't that be the point of such a conspiracy?

Harpo, why would anyone take the most beautiful ballads, the most soulful songs and the most powerful rock and roll ever made and want to play it any other way than it was intended?? Big difference in people who respect , love and enjoy the music verses those who can't enjoy it enough to just sit back and listen!

Harpo, why would anyone take the most beautiful ballads, the most soulful songs and the most powerful rock and roll ever made and want to play it any other way than it was intended?? Big difference in people who respect , love and enjoy the music verses those who can't enjoy it enough to just sit back and listen!

It's an interesting question and I obviously can't answer it. It would be amusing to have been a fly on the wall when the first guy, (I'm sure it wasn't a gal), started fooling around and played some music backwards. If I had to bet, I would say that some LSD was involved, but who knows? What was that guy thinking he was going to hear?

The other side of this is why did some bands actually do some backmasking if they didn't intend on some people playing the music backwards. Some bands got lots of free publicity out of this controversy, and it sold them lots of records. The people that were protesting and causing a big stink about backmasking were unlikly to be purchasers of this type of music anyway, no big loss. My hunch and this is just pure speculation without any evidence, is that, the whole backmasking rock and roll controversy was created by the industry to sell some albums. It's almost always about money, even though it's nice to dream it's about the music. I'm in no way saying Led Zeppelin had anything to do with this, though Peter Grant was one sly guy.

Hi Debs,

Couldnt agree with you more, but if Backmasking increases Record Sales, Gets Bums on Seats and Generaly Generates more interest in a Band i'm all for it. "That Cosmic Energy"

I think that if Satan does truley Exists, then he exists in all of us, at a Subconscious Level, so my advice is please dont play your records or tapes backwards, just in case, i would'nt want any one of you turned in to a little Devil just because of curiosity.

Regards, Danny

To each there own

Hi Debs,

Couldnt agree with you more, but if Backmasking increases Record Sales, Gets Bums on Seats and Generaly Generates more interest in a Band i'm all for it. "That Cosmic Energy"

I think that if Satan does truley Exists, then he exists in all of us, at a Subconscious Level, so my advice is please dont play your records or tapes backwards, just in case, i would'nt want any one of you turned in to a little Devil just because of curiosity.

Regards, Danny

Hello Danny,

Just not my thing. I'll just keep listening to it like I have most of my life and loving it every time:-)

harpo, you sly guy, I bet you're trying to tell us that you are actually OPRAH!!! ;) Could you try to work some of your magic and get these Zeppelin lads for your show, pretty please?

lol Oprah

And all you need next is questions being asked about Mr.Crowley.

How did he really die? did he really kill his doctor? lol

Hello Danny,

Just not my thing. I'll just keep listening to it like I have most of my life and loving it every time:-)

Me too Debs, its just my sense of humour, i would like to see all CDs be made available in a reverse play mode, maybe they do already and nobody told me, if they do let me know please, what as awesome party you could have with them hey?

Regards, Danny

they roast'n pecans yet down in Georgia?

Oh yes, and the apple festival is in October. Beautiful time here. The leaves are just beginning to turn. Nothing like a crisp morning drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway, top down on the car and Zeppelin blasting. Oct & Nov here are amazing!!! :-)

harpo, you sly guy, I bet you're trying to tell us that you are actually OPRAH!!! ;) Could you try to work some of your magic and get these Zeppelin lads for your show, pretty please?

When my wife watches Oprah on TV I walk out of the room quick! I can't stand that stuff!

It's all about Harpo Marx, my hero. I assure you that I'm not now, nor have ever been in the past connected to Oprah, in any way shape or form. If I had a show I'm sure I would have screwed it up by offending people and getting fired. Plus I have more of a face for radio, if you know what I mean, not that I look like the elephant-man or something like that, but I'm no Brad Pitt either. Also I would be very surprised to learn that Oprah would be much of a Zeppelin fan, I see her as a soft Jazz or R&B kinda gal. Who knows though, I have been wrong before,

Me too Debs, its just my sense of humour, i would like to see all CDs be made available in a reverse play mode, maybe they do already and nobody told me, if they do let me know please, what as awesome party you could have with them hey?

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny ~~ My daughter recently showed me a fun feature of her hand-held game (forget what it is.....a DS-something or nuther). You can record on it and then playback in a multitude of ways, such as "tunnel", "echo", etc. and it can also play the recording backwards, which was kinda cool. Probably all the newest technological toys can do this but it was first time I'd seen it. Let's Party! ~~ Becky

Hi Danny ~~ My daughter recently showed me a fun feature of her hand-held game (forget what it is.....a DS-something or nuther). You can record on it and then playback in a multitude of ways, such as "tunnel", "echo", etc. and it can also play the recording backwards, which was kinda cool. Probably all the newest technological toys can do this but it was first time I'd seen it. Let's Party! ~~ Becky

Hi Becky, nice to meet you, :kiss:

I'll put my Kids on to it straight away, sound right up my street, just what i'm looking for, i'm up for a Party also :drunk::yay::beer::toast: but no dancing please, as i have a Green Card. :lol:

Regards, Danny

For the surviving band members take on the whole "backwards masking" issue, here's the quotes from issue number 587 September 20th 1990 issue of Rolling Stone page 109.

Plant: "I mean, who on earth would have ever thought of doing that in the first place? You've got to have a lot of time on your hands to even consider that people would do that. Especially with 'Stairway To Heaven.' I mean, we were so proud of that thing, and its intentions are so positive... I found it foul, the whole idea...but it's very American. Nowhere else in the world has anybody ever considered it, or been concerned or bothered at all about that. I figure if backward masking really worked, every album in the store would have 'Buy this album!' hidden on it."

Page: "You've got it, you've hit the nail on the head. And that's all there is to say about it."

Jones: "Of course it's fatal, you know, because you tend to wind these people up after a while. If you go around saying, 'Oh yes, if you play track eight at thirty-six rpm, you'll definitely hear a message,' they'll go right home and try it. English bands tend to be more ironic and sarcastic, and once they discovered the average lack of American irony and humor, it's just sitting ducks, really. You just sort of have to go for it."

Robert

www.behindthetoys.com

Hi Becky,

You wont believe what happened to me today, believe me you wont.

I did some Googleing and found out how to reverse and save MP3 files, you are with me here arent you?

So i loaded my "Stairway to Heaven" MP3 file in to the Programme and i Reversed it and then saved it on to my computer. Then, with sweaty palms and a racy heart, i played it on my Windows Media Player, yea, i played it.

"What do you, what do you think I saw? "

At 3.30min, yes you can here the word "Satan" and a couple of times around the same passage you here it again, but what about at 7.11min Robert can clearly be heard saying "Where can i get my fishnets fixed" or something like that, well it was to my ears anyway, thats what i heard i'm sure of it, so it must be true yes? :yesnod:

Also, while i was listening to the recording for the Second Time, i felt the Room Grow Cold, and behind me a Voice Cried Out, "Danny your Ice Creams Melting" no no, it said that i was to Reverse all of Led Zeppelins Songs and then, and only then would the "Mysteries of the Universe" be revealed to me, and no one else but me. :yay::notworthy:

Well i'm gonna do that tonight, wish me luck People and tune in tomorrow for the results, if i'm still here. :unsure:

yannD ,sdrageR

Hi Becky,

You wont believe what happened to me today, believe me you wont.

I did some Googleing and found out how to reverse and save MP3 files, you are with me here arent you?

So i loaded my "Stairway to Heaven" MP3 file in to the Programme and i Reversed it and then saved it on to my computer. Then, with sweaty palms and a racy heart, i played it on my Windows Media Player, yea, i played it.

"What do you, what do you think I saw? "

At 3.30min, yes you can here the word "Satan" and a couple of times around the same passage you here it again, but what about at 7.11min Robert can clearly be heard saying "Where can i get my fishnets fixed" or something like that, well it was to my ears anyway, thats what i heard i'm sure of it, so it must be true yes? :yesnod:

Also, while i was listening to the recording for the Second Time, i felt the Room Grow Cold, and behind me a Voice Cried Out, "Danny your Ice Creams Melting" no no, it said that i was to Reverse all of Led Zeppelins Songs and then, and only then would the "Mysteries of the Universe" be revealed to me, and no one else but me. :yay::notworthy:

Well i'm gonna do that tonight, wish me luck People and tune in tomorrow for the results, if i'm still here. :unsure:

yannD ,sdrageR

Hi All,

Strange to be posting to myself, but still whos gonna notice anyway?

Well to keep you all abreast of things, i've managed to convert Three Led Zeppelin CDs to play backwards and i've been playing them all day, i couldnt tell which tracks were which because they were all playing backwards anyways. :(

But while i was listening i noticed a small anomaly opening in the corner of the room, not very big but just enough to let the dog disapear in to it, havent seen him since, anyone else seen him? :unsure:

I plan to do a lot more listening tomorrow and i hope to be able to disapear through the anomaly as well, i hope i am able to tell the tale when i return, and pull my dogs tail as well, untill then see y'all.

yannD ,sdrageR

Archived