Backmasking

harp0

Hi All,

Strange to be posting to myself, but still whos gonna notice anyway?

Well to keep you all abreast of things, i've managed to convert Three Led Zeppelin CDs to play backwards and i've been playing them all day, i couldnt tell which tracks were which because they were all playing backwards anyways. :(

But while i was listening i noticed a small anomaly opening in the corner of the room, not very big but just enough to let the dog disapear in to it, havent seen him since, anyone else seen him? :unsure:

I plan to do a lot more listening tomorrow and i hope to be able to disapear through the anomaly as well, i hope i am able to tell the tale when i return, and pull my dogs tail as well, untill then see y'all.

yannD ,sdrageR

That's very brave of you - good luck, may the force be with you and God speed.

sdrageR, sevileniN

:wave:

I can feel the love...

There's more than enough love to spread around. :friends:

Hi Becky,

You wont believe what happened to me today, believe me you wont.

I did some Googleing and found out how to reverse and save MP3 files, you are with me here arent you?

So i loaded my "Stairway to Heaven" MP3 file in to the Programme and i Reversed it and then saved it on to my computer. Then, with sweaty palms and a racy heart, i played it on my Windows Media Player, yea, i played it.

"What do you, what do you think I saw? "

At 3.30min, yes you can here the word "Satan" and a couple of times around the same passage you here it again, but what about at 7.11min Robert can clearly be heard saying "Where can i get my fishnets fixed" or something like that, well it was to my ears anyway, thats what i heard i'm sure of it, so it must be true yes? :yesnod:

Also, while i was listening to the recording for the Second Time, i felt the Room Grow Cold, and behind me a Voice Cried Out, "Danny your Ice Creams Melting" no no, it said that i was to Reverse all of Led Zeppelins Songs and then, and only then would the "Mysteries of the Universe" be revealed to me, and no one else but me. :yay::notworthy:

Well i'm gonna do that tonight, wish me luck People and tune in tomorrow for the results, if i'm still here. :unsure:

yannD ,sdrageR

WOW, I don't believe it! I'm getting sweaty palms and a racing heart too, just thinking about it! This is more than coincidence, it is FATE!!!! I'm talking about Robert saying 'where can he get his fishnets fixed'. Wouldn't you know that I have a pair of fishnet hose sitting in my boudoir right now that are in dire need of repair?? This is a problem that Robert and I can solve together....I do so hope he reads this and contacts me soon.

Thanks for the info BigDan,

~~ legnA htiW a nekorB gniW

There's more than enough love to spread around. :friends:

WOW, I don't believe it! I'm getting sweaty palms and a racing heart too, just thinking about it! This is more than coincidence, it is FATE!!!! I'm talking about Robert saying 'where can he get his fishnets fixed'. Wouldn't you know that I have a pair of fishnet hose sitting in my boudoir right now that are in dire need of repair?? This is a problem that Robert and I can solve together....I do so hope he reads this and contacts me soon.

Thanks for the info BigDan,

~~ legnA htiW a nekorB gniW

What the Hell have i started now?

Becky i've just PMd you, please keep it to yourself or else. :watchingyou:

I dont think Robert wears Fishnet now, more like "incontinence pants" last time i heard. :lol:

"~~ legnA htiW a nekorB gniW" i think you mean "gniW nekorB A htiW legnA" but dont quote me, please dont quote me. :huh:

yannD ,sdrageR

Sorry but quite a few bands used backmasking, this is not an opinion, it's a fact. That's not to say backmasking had any subliminal effects, or any of that kind of garbage. I don't think Zep ever used it though, even though they were accused of it. In this case it was used for comical or satirical effect. Here is an excerpt about ELO's Fire On High.

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_On_High

"Fire On High" is the opening instrumental track from the 1975 Electric Light Orchestra album Face the Music.

The song was the UK B-side to the band's worldwide hit single Livin' Thing issued in blue vinyl and later included in an edited form minus the backwards vocals as the flip side of the US hit single Sweet Talkin' Woman in 1978

The album version contains an opening with a backward message.When the song is played backwards, the message, in a masked heavyvoice, can be heard stating, "The music is reversible but time is not.Turn back. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back." - ostensibly Jeff Lynne's shot at backmasking hysteria, after satanic allegations were made against their song "Eldorado" by Fundamentalist Christianity members.[1] Snippets of "Messiah" by Handel can be heard as well.

Hi Danny ~~ My daughter recently showed me a fun feature of her hand-held game (forget what it is.....a DS-something or nuther). You can record on it and then playback in a multitude of ways, such as "tunnel", "echo", etc. and it can also play the recording backwards, which was kinda cool. Probably all the newest technological toys can do this but it was first time I'd seen it. Let's Party! ~~ Becky

Yeah Harpo, ELO has done this more than once! Ever heard there album, "Secret Messages"?

I've had software to reverse sound samples for 10 years, I can even remember using my old Fostex 4-track recorder to play stuff backwards back in the mid/late 1980's.

It's fun to be a recording guru! B)

I've listened to lot's of song's backwards and came up with the conclusion that some band's did it with out even knowing it. While others most likely took some time to figure out what will sound cool if it's recorded forwards and then pasted/edited back in backwards or vice versa. :)

Here's the problem with real backmasking and the "backmasking" on Stairway to Heaven:

With real backmasking, when you play a song normally, you can actually hear the backmasking... yeah,. you'll hear a bunch of gibberish. Then, when you play the track backwards, you hear the actual words, which are usually a joke biting the heads off those who say Satan can be found in rock music when played backwards...

With Stairway to Heaven, there is no gibberish when played normally.

Therefore...

IT WAS SATAN WHO DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?EM OT GNINEPPAH SI TAHW

!oot ,sdrawkcab gnipyt m'I woN !kool dna ...sdrawkcab gniklat detrats I esuaceb flesym pots ot dah I rehtorb ym ot gniklat detrats I nehw ...sdrawkcab gniklaw saw I dezilaer I erofeb setunim ytnewt rof deklaw I .desrever m'I neve kniht I .gnineppah era sgniht ddO .nam ,tihs ypeerC .gniod neeb ev'uoy tahw gniod detrats tsuj I ,ynnaD

Yeah Harpo, ELO has done this more than once! Ever heard there album, "Secret Messages"?

I've had software to reverse sound samples for 10 years, I can even remember using my old Fostex 4-track recorder to play stuff backwards back in the mid/late 1980's.

It's fun to be a recording guru! B)

I've listened to lot's of song's backwards and came up with the conclusion that some band's did it with out even knowing it. While others most likely took some time to figure out what will sound cool if it's recorded forwards and then pasted/edited back in backwards or vice versa. :)

I've been listening to quite a bit of ELO lately. My newest posted article, (I write articles on classic rockers, and some other types of music), is on ELO and Jeff Lynne. If your interested check it out at:

http://sharemyguitar.com/blog/jeff-lynne-and-electric-light-orchestra/

Anyone who listens to ELO backmasking stuff will know what backwards recording is when they hear it. They will also understand that Led Zeppelin never added this to any of there songs.

That's very brave of you - good luck, may the force be with you and God speed.

sdrageR, sevileniN

:wave:

Hi Ninelives, i've returned from the Dead, i know, i cant believe it either.:o

Right, where to start?

1. Firstly, I Reversed/Backmasked the Entire Led Zeppelin Catalogue, all of it from sonisseS CBB to I nileppeZ deL, the lot.

2. I made sure i was alone, I got my self comfy, made sure I had been to the Toilet, turned off all the lights, I then played the tracks in Reverse Order, starting with "uoY knahT" and ending with "semiT daB semiT dooG" just as I had too do.

3. As I was getting in to the New Sounds and Lyrics the "Anomaly" appeared again, i let it Grow and Grow untill the Very Last Track was Playing, as it was winding down to its Thundering Beginning i stepped it to the "Anomaly"

4. There I found myself in a very different world where everything is Reversed. My Little Dog was this Huge God and he talked to me in Quenya, the Language of the Old Elves, and he showed me many things that i cannot ever speak of.

5. But one thing he did let me keep in my Memory, was this, if you Listen to the "Entire Led Zeppelin Catalogue" in Reverse Order then you are hearing the "Lord of the Rings Story" put to Music, Elvish Music by the way. Not the Tolkein Trilogy, for he only had an inkling for the Truth, but the "Real Lord of the Rings Story", which will always be unknown to us.

6. There are Creatures there called "SLEGNA" and they are marvelious for they "ENIW-SSIP" and "SNUB-TIHS" very yummy indeed I must say.

7. As there is no Death I was able to spend 1000 lifetimes in that World and i got to know everything there is to know about the Universe, and I mean everything. But in the end I had to return to this World, I had to bring His Message to you, and his message is this.

"GOD" has sent his "YPPUP" to live amongst us again, and his name shall be "TELLUB" and he will be a "YOB-DOOG", he shal be recognised by his "LIAT-GNIGGAW" his "EYE-ELDNIRB" and his "STOPS", you must obey his every Word, Walk with him Wherever and Whenever he Commands you too, and clear up his "TIHS" everyday. If you can do all this for 1000 years he will "DLROW EHT EVAS"

8. All things must come to an End, so as I was leaving that Enchanted World and I stepped back through the "Anomaly" I passed myself walking in, now I know nothing of anything I was told except what "DOG" has told me to tell you, and thats my tail. Sorry I mean Tale, how stupid of me.

The Moral of this story is quite Simple.

Don't do Acid, Magic Mushrooms and Peyote at the same time, while listening to Reversed Led Zeppelin Songs.

ynnaD ,sdrageR dniK

GOD-DOG "TELLUB"

03Pluckley18092009.jpg

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?EM OT GNINEPPAH SI TAHW

!oot ,sdrawkcab gnipyt m'I woN !kool dna ...sdrawkcab gniklat detrats I esuaceb flesym pots ot dah I rehtorb ym ot gniklat detrats I nehw ...sdrawkcab gniklaw saw I dezilaer I erofeb setunim ytnewt rof deklaw I .desrever m'I neve kniht I .gnineppah era sgniht ddO .nam ,tihs ypeerC .gniod neeb ev'uoy tahw gniod detrats tsuj I ,ynnaD

,nahtaN iH

.reverof tsal tnseod noitdnoc siht epoh stel dna uoy sevig rotcod eht revetahw gnikat peek ,etam ypareht deen uoY

ynnaD , sdrageR dniK ,tseB eht llA

.repporp dna doog dnim ruoy pu kcuf lliw yeht ,sdiK sgurD eht fo peeK ,SP

This controversy started back in 1982 by two California politicians looking to censor rock music. However, Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' has nothing to do with backmasking. If you play a live version of the song backwards you'll hear an approximation of "the words" some claim to hear when the studio version is played backwards. It's purely coincidental and some hear what they want to hear. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have both rebuked this.

Steve, I know someone who recorded themself singing and playing the guitar part and then played it backwards and it said the same thing as the record does. Just the way those words sound, when played backwards - as you said.

Look at the time frame and when the PMRC reared up, they were just trying to sensor music.

:peace:

I've been listening to quite a bit of ELO lately. My newest posted article, (I write articles on classic rockers, and some other types of music), is on ELO and Jeff Lynne. If your interested check it out at:

http://sharemyguitar.com/blog/jeff-lynne-and-electric-light-orchestra/

Anyone who listens to ELO backmasking stuff will know what backwards recording is when they hear it. They will also understand that Led Zeppelin never added this to any of there songs.

Don't know if you know this or not but this band was the start of ELO...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Move

Hi Ninelives, i've returned from the Dead, i know, i cant believe it either.:o

Right, where to start?

1. Firstly, I Reversed/Backmasked the Entire Led Zeppelin Catalogue, all of it from sonisseS CBB to I nileppeZ deL, the lot.

2. I made sure i was alone, I got my self comfy, made sure I had been to the Toilet, turned off all the lights, I then played the tracks in Reverse Order, starting with "uoY knahT" and ending with "semiT daB semiT dooG" just as I had too do.

3. As I was getting in to the New Sounds and Lyrics the "Anomaly" appeared again, i let it Grow and Grow untill the Very Last Track was Playing, as it was winding down to its Thundering Beginning i stepped it to the "Anomaly"

4. There I found myself in a very different world where everything is Reversed. My Little Dog was this Huge God and he talked to me in Quenya, the Language of the Old Elves, and he showed me many things that i cannot ever speak of.

5. But one thing he did let me keep in my Memory, was this, if you Listen to the "Entire Led Zeppelin Catalogue" in Reverse Order then you are hearing the "Lord of the Rings Story" put to Music, Elvish Music by the way. Not the Tolkein Trilogy, for he only had an inkling for the Truth, but the "Real Lord of the Rings Story", which will always be unknown to us.

6. There are Creatures there called "SLEGNA" and they are marvelious for they "ENIW-SSIP" and "SNUB-TIHS" very yummy indeed I must say.

7. As there is no Death I was able to spend 1000 lifetimes in that World and i got to know everything there is to know about the Universe, and I mean everything. But in the end I had to return to this World, I had to bring His Message to you, and his message is this.

"GOD" has sent his "YPPUP" to live amongst us again, and his name shall be "TELLUB" and he will be a "YOB-DOOG", he shal be recognised by his "LIAT-GNIGGAW" his "EYE-ELDNIRB" and his "STOPS", you must obey his every Word, Walk with him Wherever and Whenever he Commands you too, and clear up his "TIHS" everyday. If you can do all this for 1000 years he will "DLROW EHT EVAS"

8. All things must come to an End, so as I was leaving that Enchanted World and I stepped back through the "Anomaly" I passed myself walking in, now I know nothing of anything I was told except what "DOG" has told me to tell you, and thats my tail. Sorry I mean Tale, how stupid of me.

The Moral of this story is quite Simple.

Don't do Acid, Magic Mushrooms and Peyote at the same time, while listening to Reversed Led Zeppelin Songs.

ynnaD ,sdrageR dniK

GOD-DOG "TELLUB"

03Pluckley18092009.jpg

the best post i've read in years....

the best post i've read in years....

Hi beatbo, you old Dog, or do i mean GOD? i'm confused but not dazed, i think.:blink:

You back for good or just a (s)troll? :D

Good to see you anyway, how's you? how's Dixie? how's the missus? <_<

ynnaD ,sdrageR dniK yreV

Here's the problem with real backmasking and the "backmasking" Whoever picks the next episode after "The Measure of a Man" might pickan episode for TOS. I know that when it comes time for me to pick one,it will most likely be a TOS episode.

on Stairway to Heaven:

With real backmasking, when you play a song normally, you can actually hear the backmasking... yeah,. you'll hear a bunch of gibberish. Then, when you play the track backwards, you hear the actual words, which are usually a joke biting the heads off those who say Satan can be found in rock music when played backwards...

With Stairway to Heaven, there is no gibberish when played normally.

Therefore...

IT WAS SATAN WHO DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit this is how I first heard of Zeppelin. As I got older and studied this on my own, I don't believe there's any effect whatsoever. I've heard Stairway To Heaven now for almost 21 years and I'm no closer to being a Satanist than when I started. In fact, I'm less so. I don't believe the Devil did it either, because as a Satanism recruitment advertisement, the things the reversals say don't make any sense in that regard. It sounds more like some kind of sad story of someone being deceived by the Devil and something happening which causes insane amounts of suffering. Also, there's a big difference in what really is backward masking, in what people such as ELO and Pink Floyd and Weird Al and other people have done, likely as jokes and then stuff that just appears as speech reversals which is what happens in all instances of supposed "backward masking" in Zeppelin music and there's a lot more examples than just Stairway. I imagine if you could record everything you say all day, there's probably a lot of stuff that could be interpreted by people with good enough imagination to find some kind of backwards statements.

There's also been several experiments conducted using Stairway and when the researcher plays the backward segments for people that have never heard of this, they can't decipher anything and it just sounds like reversed gibberish. Then when he says what it's supposed to say, they can pick it up. I think this leads us to perhaps we hear what it "says" because in a way, we've been told what it "says" and therefore perhaps, "programmed" to pick it up? I don't know, that might be too strong a word but it's all I can think of at the moment.

In closing, I think it's just a combination of the English language having a lot of syllables that may have multiple meanings when one takes forward and backward direction into account and also a lot of vivid imagination from corrupt politicians and also from Christian preachers, albeit likely with the best of intentions and I didn't criticize them then, nor will I criticize them now for talking about "backward messages in rock music." In my opinion, there is a lot of stupid crap in rock music, I will agree with them on that note. I also believe that these men were simply doing what they felt was the right thing to do. Too bad most of us (and by that I mean people in general, no one specific) don't have those kinds of convictions. But nevertheless, they still jumped on the bandwagon about this way too early and didn't have all the facts available to them when they made their cases to the public.

In other words, the stuff means nothing, except for an interesting urban legend and I think it should be left as just that and forgotten about. Zeppelin sounds MUCH better forwards, in any case.

I always thought this was daft. I'm a churchgoing person, but I've always thought that If Stairway backwards is a satanic chant, well the Lord's Prayer backwards is reputed to have the same function. Surely nobody would compare the Lord's Prayer and Stairway? Especially not a fundamentalist Christian.

Does anyone remember Rob Halford's court appearance when he successfully ridiculed the whole backmasking thing?

I always thought this was daft. I'm a churchgoing person, but I've always thought that If Stairway backwards is a satanic chant, well the Lord's Prayer backwards is reputed to have the same function. Surely nobody would compare the Lord's Prayer and Stairway? Especially not a fundamentalist Christian.

Does anyone remember Rob Halford's court appearance when he successfully ridiculed the whole backmasking thing?

Now THAT, has got to be the best and most intelligent 1st post anyone has ever written!!!! B)

• 4 months later...

This controversy started back in 1982 by two California politicians looking to censor rock music. However, Led Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' has nothing to do with backmasking. If you play a live version of the song backwards you'll hear an approximation of "the words" some claim to hear when the studio version is played backwards. It's purely coincidental and some hear what they want to hear. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page have both rebuked this.

exactly

My favorite backwards mask is Men at Work's "Who can it be now?" chorus which ,when reversed, gives off a nice witchy "All I Neeedzzz Satan". That's old news though.

What the kids are listening to now is clips of Barak Obama saying "Yes we can" backwards, which some claim say "Thank you Satan". I dunno.

I don't believe Zeppelin ever backmasked, now ELO I know as a fact put backwards messages in songs, like Fire On High, there's a voice that was clearly recorded and then reversed, it says "The music is reversable, but time isn't, turn back ,turn back, turn back..." I think all that's trying to say is don't use time looking for backmasked messages in songs, it's a waste of time.

From what I heard on a radio show a looong time ago, some christian popstar's management team started the rumour of Led Zep's involvement in backmasking evil messages in order to explain why Led Zep's album got to Number One (probably at xmas time) and theirs didn't. I think the guy who started the rumour actually owned up about 20 years ago. Not very christianly now was it lol.

Archived