ReR Caption Fan Club Thread

zoso13zeppelin

Great one, Rich, great one :kiss:

You can easily come to New York :wave: whereas, I would get smashed in Yorkshire.

Here's some

Stat Nigh Lynn

Pawta Crappa

Mob'll Roy

Doily Boyd

Now, just a quick question: Are these actual everyday phrases like mine, the true statement of a dialect, or are they place names or nouns? Because I can sense that a couple of those are proper nouns.

For example, that Pawta Crappa is a portable toilet, it is a slang term for something in New York. We arn't doing slang are we, I though we were doing a dialect test. So its more like writing down an everyday phrase, if you can think of one, or write one down.

But while we are at this stage, let's have a look:

As far as I recall a lynn is an island...I reckon the Stat Nigh is Staten...so Staten Island? I could be wrong. :lol:

I've already said what the Porta Crappa is...we would call it a 'porta loo'

I don't know about Mob'll Roy....must be a place name or a noun or something! :lol:

And I aint a clue about Doily Boyd...I could hit you with little phrases that you woudn't have a clue. The ones I have posted are sentences that we could use at any point during the day!

What do you get if you cross a sperm with an egg nine months before October 1987?

random, but that's hilarious.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

im going to take a lame, non-educated guess: someone's up here?

Hey, that's not a bad guess, you were only just out with that one. I will post the answers in a minute and then some really really really hard ones...just to show you how easy the ones I did post were in comparison!! :lol:

Richard it has got to be plaster or it does not count.

Ok then...fine plaster it is...but you better let me wear goggles!! :lol:

ANSWERS WILL BE COMING IN A MINUTE...I JUST NEED TO QUOTE MY POST FIRST! :lol:

:yay: :yay: I got them right!!! WOO!!! :cheer:

Right, here we are:

1. Intitot?

2. Giuzit

3. Summatsupeer

4. Smarrerweeim?

5. Geeazit Mister

1. 'Isn't it hot?'.......Break it down: 'int it ot?' Yorkshire people often miss off the 'h'.

2. 'Give us it'.....Again, break it down: 'Gi uz it', we sometimes pronounce give as 'gi'. :lol:

3. 'Something's up here'.......nearly Vannis, we often say summat rather than somthing, and again the 'h' has been dropped from 'here' to give you 'eer'

4. 'What's the matter with him?'.......'what's' and the word 'matter' merge to form the spoken word 'smatter', completely missing out the word 'the'. Then the word 'with' turns into 'wee' and the 'h' is dropped from 'him' to make 'im'. :lol:

5. 'Give us it Mister'.....again, same thing with 'give' turning into 'gee' and then the word 'us' and 'it' merge to form the word 'azit'.

Hard eh? DO YOU WANT TO NOW SEE SOME REALLY HARD ONES!! YOUR FACES WILL GO :blink::lol:

Ok here are a few for you to sink your teeth into: :lol:

Some of these are easy. :lol:

1. Eez gooinooam

2. Asta gorrit withy?

3. Ayamt eared nowt

4. Thalafta gerra newan

5. Lerrus gerrus andswesht

6. Summonems gorragerroff

7. Shut thigob

8. Abberitinterz

9. Asta seenim ont telly?

10. Eenose nowt abartit

11. Lerrer gerrontbus

12. Eedurnt purrizhead undert watter

And the bonus word:

Tintintin!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :hysterical: Some of these phrases are still used, a lot are used by the older generation. My grandad, who unfortunately passed away about three months ago, used to speak with these phrases. We still use them, esspecially if we talk fast. :lol:

1. Eez gooinooam

2. Asta gorrit withy?

3. Ayamt eared nowt

4. Thalafta gerra newan

7. Shut thigob

8. Abberitinterz

10. Eenose nowt abartit

11. Lerrer gerrontbus

And the bonus word:

Tintintin!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :hysterical: Some of these phrases are still used, a lot are used by the older generation. My grandad, who unfortunately passed away about three months ago, used to speak with these phrases. We still use them, esspecially if we talk fast. :lol:

:blink: i ramble in here...and find all these crazy accents :lol:

down here its either country-ish or....boring.

i would try some of these out...but i've looked like an idiot enough for today :rolleyes::lol:

i have one guess for this one: He's going home.

Spot one. Well done Vannis!!! That was probably the easiest out of the lot. :lol:

:blink: i ramble in here...and find all these crazy accents :lol:

down here its either country-ish or....boring.

i would try some of these out...but i've looked like an idiot enough for today :rolleyes::lol:

Nice to see you on here Kim. :lol: Awwww, you won't look like an idiot. :lol: Much. :lol:

1. Eez gooinooam

2. Asta gorrit withy?

3. Ayamt eared nowt

4. Thalafta gerra newan

7. Shut thigob

8. Abberitinterz

10. Eenose nowt abartit

11. Lerrer gerrontbus

And the bonus word:

Tintintin!

4. You shall have to get a new one

6. Some of us gotta get off

9. I have seen it on the telly

10. He knows now about it

11. Let us get on the bus

12. Hey, don't put your head under water

That's all I could get, and they could be so wrong

Kimmi, HI

Don't worry about being silly, it's what started this.

Spot one. Well done Vannis!!! That was probably the easiest out of the lot. :lol:

Nice to see you on here Kim. :lol: Awwww, you won't look like an idiot. :lol: Much. :lol:

hello, helloooo. and helloo dbz

haha and thanks. it's nice to know i'll still be accepted :D:lol:

but gimme a minute to think..... :lol:

EDIT: nevermind. my brain's done for tonight :lol:

Ok, here we are...take out your score cards, and mark the wrong answers. :lol:

1. Eez gooinooam

2. Asta gorrit withy?

3. Ayamt eared nowt

4. Thalafta gerra newan

7. Shut thigob

8. Abberitinterz

10. Eenose nowt abartit

11. Lerrer gerrontbus

And the bonus word:

Tintintin!

1. 'He's going home'

2. 'Have you got it with you?'.....the 'thy' (pronounced 'thi') part means 'you'

3. 'I haven't heard anything'.....'we tend to use 'nowt' as 'nothing'. In proper english though this sentence would be written with the word 'anything'. But actual literal translation would be 'I ain't heard nothing'.

4. 'You'll have to get a new one'.....again, 'tha' is you. 'Have to' becomes 'thafta', 'get a' becomes 'gerra', 'new one' becomes 'newan'!! :lol:

5. 'Let us get our hands washed'

6. 'Some of them have got to get off'.....'em' is generally 'them'

7. 'Shut your mouth'.....'gob' means mouth here, Yorkshire slang...oops. :lol:

8. 'I bet it isn't hers'..... :lol: Try and work that one out. :lol:

9. 'Have you seen him on television?'.....Shame about that one Rabia, it was a question. :lol:

10. 'He knows nothing about it'

11. 'Let her get on the bus'

12. 'He doesn't put his head under the water'

And the bonus one was:

'It isn't in the tin'. :lol: Literally, 'TINT (it isn't) INT (in the) TIN (tin)!' :lol:

Maybe I should post some hard ones to put you cocky people in place!! :lol: You have done quite well. :lol:

Ok, here we are...take out your score cards, and mark the wrong answers. :lol:

1. 'He's going home'

2. 'Have you got it with you?'.....the 'thy' (pronounced 'thi') part means 'you'

3. 'I haven't heard anything'.....'we tend to use 'nowt' as 'nothing'. In proper english though this sentence would be written with the word 'anything'. But actual literal translation would be 'I ain't heard nothing'.

4. 'You'll have to get a new one'.....again, 'tha' is you. 'Have to' becomes 'thafta', 'get a' becomes 'gerra', 'new one' becomes 'newan'!!

5. 'Let us get our hands washed'

6. 'Some of them have got to get off'.....'em' is generally 'them'

7. 'Shut your mouth'.....'gob' means mouth here, Yorkshire slang...oops.

8. 'I bet it isn't hers'..... :lol: Try and work that one out. :lol:

9. 'Have you seen him on television?'.....Shame about that one Rabia, it was a question.

10. 'He knows nothing about it'

11. 'Let her get on the bus'

12. 'He doesn't put his head under the water'

And the bonus one was:

'It isn't in the tin'. :lol: Literally, 'TINT (it isn't) INT (in the) TIN (tin)!' :lol:

Maybe I should post some hard ones to put you cocky people in place!! :lol: You have done quite well. :lol:

:blink: wow. i like the bonus one. i was gonna say 10:10:10. as in....10 o'clock and 10 minutes and 10 seconds..... :bagoverhead::lol:

i thought 12 had something to do with water....but didnt know what....go figure haha

Archived