KISS Nominated For ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME Induction

The Pagemeister

KISS Nominated For ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME Induction

kissfame.jpg

According to The New York Times, KISS is among a dozen finalists for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. After being snubbed for years — the band has been eligible for the honor since 1999 — KISS has finally been nominated, along with ABBA, DONNA SUMMER, GENESIS, THE STOOGES, THE HOLLIES and, in the first year in which they qualify, LL COOL J and the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, the organization has announced. JIMMY CLIFF, DARLENE LOVE, LAURA NYRO and THE CHANTELS are also on the ballot, and votes will be cast by a group of more than 500 musicians and industry professionals; of the 12 nominees, the five that get the most votes will be announced in January and inducted into the Hall of Fame at its 25th annual ceremony on March 15 at the Waldorf-Astoria in Manhattan.

Acts become eligible 25 years after the release of their first record.

During a keynote address at the Billboard Touring Conference in November 2008, KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons expressed his discontent with the fact that the band, which he co-founded in 1972, had not yet been inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. "A lot of those guys on the board can go and get my sandwich when I want, and I mean that in the nicest way," he said. "There are disco bands, rap bands, Yiddish folk song bands in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but not KISS. I believe we have more gold records in America than any other group, but it's OK."

Speaking to The Baltimore Sun in 2006, KISS guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley echoed Simmons' sentiments, stating, "Honestly, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is a joke, and it always has been. I think they should be ashamed and embarrassed by some of the people that they've inducted. It's a popularity contest for a small group of judges or whatever they want to call themselves. They induct bands that they like that have sold less albums in their careers than I've sold in a week, and that have influenced a handful compared to what KISS has done. KISS is a virus that has infected music from rock to country and back. So if they choose not to induct us, I'm not sure it's a club I want to be a member of."

Speaking to The Baltimore Sun in 2006, KISS guitarist/vocalist Paul Stanley echoed Simmons' sentiments, stating, "Honestly, the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is a joke, and it always has been. I think they should be ashamed and embarrassed by some of the people that they've inducted."

That's as maybe, but at least the RnRHoF hasn't sunk so low as to induct KISS yet!

:lol:

Kiss definitely belongs in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame but Alice Cooper should be inducted first. At this point I don't think he's even been nominated though.

I agree with you kiss should be inducted but paul is right there are groups and people in there that should not be. Also if abba gets in are they required to perform?? That should be intresting.

Well I'm glad that KISS was nominated, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that they will get in. Obviously the RRHoF didn't listen much to Metallica's comments (regarding artists who deserve to be in there )during their speech at this year's induction ceremony as once again, Deep Purple failed to make the nominations. :angry:

Kiss definitely belongs in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame but Alice Cooper should be inducted first. At this point I don't think he's even been nominated though.

how true.

you watch, fuckin' Marilyn Manson will get enshrined before Alice.

just like those wankers at the R&RHOF

well at least the Stooges may finally get in

too bad Ron Asheton won't be able to be there :(

good to see the Hollies getting recognition.

always thought they were a good group with some decent pop songs; ie: Carrie Anne

what baffles me is the Moody Blues aren't there and should be. If not for "Days of Future Past" alone. Yes i know that grandma listens to them nowadays, but during the late 60's, they were considered quite progressive. i've given up trying to figure it out.

good to see the Hollies getting recognition.

always thought they were a good group with some decent pop songs; ie: Carrie Anne

what baffles me is the Moody Blues aren't there and should be. If not for "Days of Future Past" alone. Yes i know that grandma listens to them nowadays, but during the late 60's, they were considered quite progressive. i've given up trying to figure it out.

You are right the moody blues should be there. Also deep purple as mentioned by another poster.

While I definitely agree some of the artists mentioned should be in such as Rush, the Moody Blues and Deep Purple. I don't see how some of the others (Guess Who, BTO, Grand Funk Railroad) meet the criteria. I say that as a fan of Grand Funk, btw. I just don't think they were that influential. In the power trio category ZZ Top, Cream & Rush were much more influential and had far more impact. How many artists cite Grand Funk Railroad as a primary influence?

As for the broad spectrum of artists that have been inducted so far, I see the point but I don't necessarily agree with it. Jimmy Cliff is reggae, not rock n' roll but he had far more influence on rock than Donna Summer, McDonna or LL Cool J.

As for someone that should be in but isn't, I have two words: "Warren Zevon".

While I definitely agree some of the artists mentioned should be in such as Rush, the Moody Blues and Deep Purple. I don't see how some of the others (Guess Who, BTO, Grand Funk Railroad) meet the criteria. I say that as a fan of Grand Funk, btw. I just don't think they were that influential. In the power trio category ZZ Top, Cream & Rush were much more influential and had far more impact. How many artists cite Grand Funk Railroad as a primary influence?

As for the broad spectrum of artists that have been inducted so far, I see the point but I don't necessarily agree with it. Jimmy Cliff is reggae, not rock n' roll but he had far more influence on rock than Donna Summer, McDonna or LL Cool J.

As for someone that should be in but isn't, I have two words: "Warren Zevon".

WARREN ZEVON??? PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING. As for grand funk look at there album sales,look at the hits they had,look at the sellouts they had for concerts. Look at the time peter grant forced them off the stage and cut there power because they were blowing zep off the stage. Need any more convincing???

WARREN ZEVON??? PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING. As for grand funk look at there album sales,look at the hits they had,look at the sellouts they had for concerts. Look at the time peter grant forced them off the stage and cut there power because they were blowing zep off the stage. Need any more convincing???

Please tell me you're joking. As much as I love me some old Grand Funk no one in that band was even 1/32 of the writer Zevon was. Let me guess, you know Werewolves of London and that's it. As for Grand Funk's album sales, hits, concert grosses and the much fabled Zeppelin story, absolutely none of those things go into the criteria required for induction. It's not based on popularity or sales figures, it's based on influence. As I previously mentioned, what artists have cited Grand Funk Railroad as their primary influence?

Please tell me you're joking. As much as I love me some old Grand Funk no one in that band was even 1/32 of the writer Zevon was. Let me guess, you know Werewolves of London and that's it. As for Grand Funk's album sales, hits, concert grosses and the much fabled Zeppelin story, absolutely none of those things go into the criteria required for induction. It's not based on popularity or sales figures, it's based on influence. As I previously mentioned, what artists have cited Grand Funk Railroad as their primary influence?

Being elected to the hall has nothing to do with influence they don't look at that. Like I said look at record sales and popularity and grand funk was one of the most popular bands around. Warren zevon will never be voted in trust me.

Being elected to the hall has nothing to do with influence they don't look at that. Like I said look at record sales and popularity and grand funk was one of the most popular bands around. Warren zevon will never be voted in trust me.

disagree with that statement.

if sales and popularity were the main focus, then Kiss would've been there 10 years ago.

no other group, Zep included, were more commercially successful than Kiss in the late 70's.

i agree with Jahfin, after all Leonard Cohen and Patti Smith didn't have a bunch of platinum records, but influenced many artists, as did Warren Zevon.

KISS, the Stooges, and Laura Nyro should be inducted. Possibly ABBA. Give the Red Hot Chili Peppers 10+ years. No Donna Summer or LL Cool J. Rap doesn't belong in the Rock Hall.

And could someone tellme why the Runaways, the Moody Blues, and Heart aren't in the Hall, but Run-D.M.C and Metallica are? I find that confusing. <_<

:peace:,

Jo

Being elected to the hall has nothing to do with influence they don't look at that.

This is straight from the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame website:

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

I get the impression Deep Purple are a little under appreciated in America. Surely they are far more original,ground breaking and influential than a naff rock band like Kiss!?

Deep Purple were definitely very appreciated here in the U.S. I think it has more to do with the stigma the "Classic Rock" radio format has placed on bands such as Deep Purple. It took forever and a day for Skynyrd and Black Sabbath to ever get inducted but they both should have been in the very moment they were eligible. Of course it probably didn't help that Ozzy told 'em to get fucked and that Skynyrd's image is looked upon as being less than politically correct due to their Southern pride. Meanwhile, the Sex Pistols refuse to even show up for their induction, send the Hall a nasty note and are then cheered on for it by Jann Wenner and the induction committee. I have nothing against the Sex Pistols, they definitely belong in there as well but their behavior (which actually smacked more of a publicity stunt) is applauded, meanwhile groups like Purple are shunned because someone's probably heard Smoke On the Water one too many times on Classic Rock radio.

Archived