Led Zeppelin will not tour in 2008

ludwigking

All this talk of touring could just be to get more publicity. It could be a possibility. I've been wondering about Jimmy breaking his finger too . Its such a weird coincedence. They really don't need any extra publicity. They are Led Zeppelin!

As far as I can tell there have been no Plant/Krauss tour dates announced or tickets sold. It could still be delayed if need be and probably increase the $helf life of Raising Sand. If Robert agreed to do a few more Zeppelin shows, it would only add to the hype of a tour with Allison later on. I don't see her as one to stand in the way especially if it may benefit the album/tour in the end.

Obviously everything we talk about here is pure speculation, but if they blow the roof off of the O2 the way we hope and expect them to.... It will be hard to put the genie back into the bottle. On the other hand... If they shit the bed on Monday I'll be looking forward to Robert and Allison on tour in 08. :D

Let's get ahold here. Plant/Krauss will be touring Europe and the states in early 2008. There's also a Strange Sensation album and tour in the works. That said, 12 months is a long time. There's no reason to think select dates couldn't be fit in. Provided of course that the band wants to do it. Regardless, there's no real reason to say "Alison can wait". Those wheels are already in motion and it's naive to think they'd cancel the whole thing. It's not about Zeppelin being a much bigger deal. If Zep decides to go for it, it will take time and logistical planning. 2008 is the 40th anniversary of the band. Surely they could sandwich a summer tour between the spring Raising Sand tour and the fall Strange Sensation project. Assuming they want to of course. We need to wait a few more days for the reaction to O2 to come in. Particularly Plant and Jones. We all know Jimmy's hard-on for Zep has never softened.

I was going to say the exact same thing, so...........DITTO!! :D

I'm compelled to weigh in deeper here. If I were a painter, and you loved something I painted and paid good money to hang it on your wall and enjoy it, must I paint you another? Must Jesus be nailed to a cross again because you put money in the offering plate? If I pull you from a burning building and you find yourself in another fire, am I obliged to be there for you? If I sell you something on eBay, and you like it, am I obligated to offer you another?

No, however if I was a carpenter, and you were a lady, and I rescued you from a burning house would I not owe it to you not to set you down on a land mine?

of all the lame ass Analogies I have ever seen..........

They gave us this music and we bought it. They gave us all this and we made them wealthy for it. And they "owe" us??? WTF? If anything, we owe them the right to do as they please, whether that be retirement, a tour, an album, or nothing at all. How self-serving to make such a demand. I find it offensive and totally disrespectful.

I find the fact that you limit being a Zep Fan to buying their music and making them wealthy offensive and disrespectful (I forgot Down Right Stupid too)

If you had bothered to muster up some THOUGHT on my post or even just read the whole thing before rushing off to flame yet another newbie you would have noticed I said they(ZEP) owe it to us Their FANS and (< look right there! see that word A N D, it means:

Function: conjunction

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German unti and

Date: before 12th century

1—used as a function word to indicate connection or addition especially of items within the same class or type ; used to join sentence elements of the same grammatical rank or function )

They owe it to us and themselves.......... Thats what I said

It was said about Zeppelin by one critic when they first started touring the US there connection with there fans bordered on a spiritual plane, they to qoute" Are like a good joint to be passed amon friends"

They Themselves feel they owe us their fans something, that has been made very clear over and over by all of them treading lightly on the legacy.

I did not mean something as shallow as we bought their music they owe us!!!

think of it along the lines of how you feel you owe it to yourself to pounce on new people in here to make your own shallow feelings of being a Zeppelin fan less insignificant.

Look I do not know why you took offense to my saying they owe it to us the True Fans and Themselves something...... But as Long as Pagey has my back It matters little....

Page has my back? Glad you asked, When page broke his finger he basicaly said what I have said, he feels that Zeppelin owes it to their fans to perform as expected.

"this postponement will enable my injury to properly heal and permit us to perform at the level both the band and our fans have always been accustomed to,” the veteran guitarist said.

sounds like someone that just wants to keep getting wealthy of my CD purchases huh?

I read it took just 10 days to record. The only promotion I've seen has been a five minute infommercial on MySpace. The magazine interviews he's done have been for the 02 show. So I think he may still be willing to put Alison on hold for Zeppelin.

On the contrary....I believe Robert has been promoting Raising Sand with Alison quite a bit as well as promoting the O2 show.

Function: conjunction

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German unti and

Date: before 12th century

1—used as a function word to indicate connection or addition especially of items within the same class or type ; used to join sentence elements of the same grammatical rank or function )

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that you went though all the trouble of defining the usage of the word AND, while completely ignoring the spell checker on the rest of that rant. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I don't think Ev's response to you had anything to do with you being a newbie. I think it has more to do with the fact that the "They Owe Us" argument has been beaten to death on these boards over the years.

Oh Oh! I have an idea! How bout....we all wait....until the OFFICIAL announcement to see if they all agree on touring with each other! :lol:

Here's a interview with Page from not to long ago

Just in case you didn't see it, or hear about it. Just thought I'd slip it in ;)

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that you went though all the trouble of defining the usage of the word AND, while completely ignoring the spell checker on the rest of that rant. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I don't think Ev's response to you had anything to do with you being a newbie. I think it has more to do with the fact that the "They Owe Us" argument has been beaten to death on these boards over the years.

LOL, keep your eyes rolling if you must :)

I can care less if my Grammer and spelling is correct, only that my views be understood.

but thanx for letting me now I got a little bit of a amusement from ya for it..... 'tis why I did it.

I have not weighed in on the whole they owe us thing until that point.

You are right about the newbie thing as well. I have read other posts of Evs and concur.

Thanx

Hahaha. No, they do not owe us. I can't believe you didn't fucking understand what Ev just said. I'm fucking 15, I've never (obviously) seen Zep in my life, and I want to see them more than anything else. But guess what... I don't feel they owe me shit. I like their music, so I buy their albums. If they go on tour, I'll see them, if they don't, that's their decision. And Page says he owes it to perform at the level expected, not to go on a fucking world tour.

why would Page say that or even care if he did not feel he owes Zeppelin fans something mre than a run through??

They have to do nothing but die, if you want to be technical. I never said they owed us a "fucking world tour" or anything else for that matter. I never claimed that they are in our debt. My comments stated that they owe it to us and themselves, cant have a theraputic Zeppelin Show without 'the ocean'

owe it to us and ourselves to make it happen at this stage (after an exclusive show in London, after tongue in cheek comments to the press, after all this reunion hype, after all the bygones let being bygones by them..... they owe it to Zeppelin period. Zeppelin is US and THEM. ]

15 huh, thats awesome, unfortunate as it is you never had a chance to see them, this is the closest you are gonna get, unless they play something you can with realistic means get to. That is what I feel they owe us and themselves a goodbye to older fans and a here is how its done for you. and that would be more benificial to Led Zeppelin as a whole (US and THEM) Without that they are left with what we have now, comments from JPJ at the Hall of Fame induction attititude from Plant towards them, False rumors,

so I guess I mean this quite simply:

The Zeppelin Legacy is not only the members of the band, it is yours and mine.

they owe it to the legacy the same way you should feel like you owe it to your friends to introduce them to Zeppelin if ever the chance arose, because failure to do so would be a mistake, hence Zeppelin owing it to their legacy to sock it to us real good.

I think it's one thing to say that IF Zep plays, they "owe" it to us to do their best at the time. Since none of us are paying THEM anything for the privilege of seeing them at O2, that argument isn't super strong, but since doing one's best is pretty easy to relate to, I at least can understand this sentiment. It sure seems to be a notion they themselves understand this time out, and are fully committed to.

But it's entirely another thing to say that they "owe" it to us to go on some mammoth world tour so we all can see them again. Uh-uh.

As to whether they owe anything to their "legacy", that's for them to decide, not us.

B):P pretty much!, Next week we shall know!!!!!

WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE O2 SHOW MONDAY FOLKS!!!! This news is not the truth until you hear the official news from the band themselves after the O2. Just wait next week, and maybe they'll decide themselves! I will not believe this until I hear any official news of a tour after the O2. Use common sense.

They have to do nothing but die, if you want to be technical. I never said they owed us a "fucking world tour" or anything else for that matter.

Yeah, you did:

They Owe it us the ones not among the elite lucky few that are going to be there in london, and to themselves to make it happen or at least I like to think they care that much about Zeppelin.

Here, you say it again. Actually, several times:

I never claimed that they are in our debt. My comments stated that they owe it to us and themselves, cant have a theraputic Zeppelin Show without 'the ocean'

owe it to us and ourselves to make it happen at this stage (after an exclusive show in London, after tongue in cheek comments to the press, after all this reunion hype, after all the bygones let being bygones by them..... they owe it to Zeppelin period. Zeppelin is US and THEM. ]

15 huh, thats awesome, unfortunate as it is you never had a chance to see them, this is the closest you are gonna get, unless they play something you can with realistic means get to. That is what I feel they owe us and themselves a goodbye to older fans and a here is how its done for you. and that would be more benificial to Led Zeppelin as a whole (US and THEM) Without that they are left with what we have now, comments from JPJ at the Hall of Fame induction attititude from Plant towards them, False rumors,

so I guess I mean this quite simply:

The Zeppelin Legacy is not only the members of the band, it is yours and mine.

they owe it to the legacy the same way you should feel like you owe it to your friends to introduce them to Zeppelin if ever the chance arose, because failure to do so would be a mistake, hence Zeppelin owing it to their legacy to sock it to us real good.

Why is everybody acting like if Robert tours with Allison, he can't do a Zeppelin tour as well? I've seen many artists do it. Hell, I saw Warren Haynes 4 times in one year with 4 different bands.

If Zep does a hand full of shows in the states (and Bonnaroo), Robert can still tour with Allison. Nobody will truly know until The Robert/Allison dates are posted AND Zep gives any post-O2 announcements.

People! Stop trying to think of reasons for Zeppelin not to tour and just hope that they do! Doesn't everybody on this forum want to see them play? ...or are you bored and want to pick a fight online?

Why is everybody acting like if Robert tours with Allison, he can't do a Zeppelin tour as well?

Robert has a clear conflict of interest, as you can see right now with him avoiding rehearsals to promote Raising Sand. I think Robert is counting on the "halo effect' of Zep interest resulting in more ticket sales for him with Kraus. He really wants people to tune into his new stuff, not pine for Zeppelin. If he plays a handful of Zep shows while he's touring with Kraus, people are likely to NOT see him with Kraus when they would rather see him with Zep.

If the O2 show gets panned, then it would be a safe bet that it's all over regardless of the secrecy. By not committing to anything in advance, they will be able to bow out in dignity with some plausible deniability. If the O2 show gets raves, then we may still get teased until Plant's tour is over and have no way of knowing which way it will go.

Once Robert is on the road, though, I can expect Page and JPJ to get fidgety about their own halo effect if they were to finish their solo albums and go on the road. If Robert doesn't privately commit to them in advance, then I can see everyone starting to get busy again with no common convergence point.

Everyone is on board except for Plant, if everything goes well which it will even he cannot say no to a world tour. But if he feels that he this isn't working out or doesn't like the way they performed then he will mostly likely not do a world tour.

Why is everybody acting like if Robert tours with Allison, he can't do a Zeppelin tour as well? I've seen many artists do it. Hell, I saw Warren Haynes 4 times in one year with 4 different bands.

If Zep does a hand full of shows in the states (and Bonnaroo), Robert can still tour with Allison. Nobody will truly know until The Robert/Allison dates are posted AND Zep gives any post-O2 announcements.

People! Stop trying to think of reasons for Zeppelin not to tour and just hope that they do! Doesn't everybody on this forum want to see them play? ...or are you bored and want to pick a fight online?

Nobody is trying to pick a fight....and nobody does'nt NOT want to see this reunion....which is still a one off gig to all involved except for one person (Jimmy) that is now buzzed at the thought of possibly doing more. Then people read into that as YES, it's going to happen......like Jimmy controls Robert's and JPJ's lives.....one of which has his feet wet in other projects. TSRTS/Mothership reissue has been in the plans of a release for over a year now....before Ahmet's passing...and people still think it's Jimmy putting stuff out just in time for the 02 and a 2008 tour.

The only problem I see here is kids w/ Veruca Salt attitudes screaming "I want, I want". Get over it. If it happens, great, but don't go spreading rumors that it's a certainty when it's not. And simply saying "we'll see what they say after the 02" only lends to more hype and more than likely...false hope. I'd rather not expect it, and be surprised by the news than to depend on it and be let down. It's bad enough how many people cried about a ticket to the 02.

besides...evester put it the best......they owe you/me nothing!!!! Especially a band that died 27 yrs ago and has'nt played more than a handfull of songs on a stage as a surviving trio since that time. It is Ahmet Ertegun that was worthy of recieving a one off show....no one else on this board is! Period!

Ludwig, are you hinting at something good? :)

I havent had much of a search around this forum yet, i only just realised that the site changed. So i dont no if the whole Ian Astbury incident has been spread around yet, and i dont no what you views are on it yet, but share is you want. I've been doing a bit of searching around and read that Jimmy told Guitar World that he said it would be pretty unfair to just do one show. So yeah i'll see what happens, dont want to get my hopes up yet, but fingers crossed

I'm compelled to weigh in deeper here. If I were a painter, and you loved something I painted and paid good money to hang it on your wall and enjoy it, must I paint you another? Must Jesus be nailed to a cross again because you put money in the offering plate? If I pull you from a burning building and you find yourself in another fire, am I obliged to be there for you? If I sell you something on eBay, and you like it, am I obligated to offer you another?

They gave us this music and we bought it. They gave us all this and we made them wealthy for it. And they "owe" us??? WTF? If anything, we owe them the right to do as they please, whether that be retirement, a tour, an album, or nothing at all. How self-serving to make such a demand. I find it offensive and totally disrespectful.

I agree. If Led Zeppelin decides to tour and make a new album, then great. That'd be awesome, especially the new album part. But if they decide that the O2 show is enough then we, as their lifelong fans, should be mature enough to accept that decision and still support them in whatever other endevours they may venture forth on.

When you get older you sort of look back on your life and wonder "what the hell was I thinking about" when it comes to certain things you may have done at an earlier age. Personally speaking I have no great desire to re-create certain things I did in my 20's......they no longer interest me. That was then, this is now. You move foreward and try not to look back.

So why in hell would Plant want to sing Whole Lotta Love or Stairway on a regular touring basis now? Is this (and a lot of other Zeppelin songs) reflective of his current life as it is right now? Nostalga is a very nice thing, but it only goes so far. Some things you miss, other things you're glad they're over with and you survived your own stupidity and you've moved on in life. If all you do is live in the past then you miss out on life as it is........which is a tragedy unto itself.

The surviving members of Led Zeppelin don't owe anybody anything. They shouldn't tour either. Their legacy remains intact as does their integrity as a band. Let Page Plant and Jones age gracefully, let them enjoy their lives without having to "please" fans who weren't even in the DNA pool when they were blazing away back in the day. Let them release more of their archived live stuff...that would be more than enough for me. "This is how we were, enjoy it because there's no more of it to be had".

Move on please............don't tour, there's no need to.

Regards;

How about because he sings "Whole Lotta Love" nowadays as a solo artist? Why are people so closed minded about touring at times with Led Zeppelin and at other times they can do their own solo projects? That's just dumb not to do all of the above you know?

Archived