MacKenzie Phillips' Tell-All Book About Papa John

2bitnogoodjive

I am no expert on Mackenzie. I have not heard of anyone questioning mental illness as a diagnos. She says that her dad did drugs with her at age 11 (even injecting her). That does not surprise me if it's true. She became an alcoholic and drug abuser. Seems to be clean and sober now. If she made these allegations while under the influence of substance abuse i might question it more (but i doubt it, since i don't really find this so shocking). But now, what motivation does she have to make up such a terrible story about a father she loved enough to say she forgave. That part makes no sense to me. Not to mention, as implanted said, she admitted to consenting to the affair with her father. Why would anyone lie about that on National television? Crazy or not, i don't see that as something a grown woman would say if it wasn't true. At least if nothing else, it's time for this topic, incest, to receive more attention.

It's too easy sweetierolleyes.gif

71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

I just watched Oprah again today. I beleive MacKenzie. Apparently the daughter of the other fellow in the Mama/Papa corraborated the fact. Papa John had confessed to him about what was going on. MacKenzie was a woman trapped between two realities and felt the need to finally come clean to help heal herself knowing it would cause a firestorm. It will eventually blow over. Hopefully this will help others trapped in similar situations.

It's too easy sweetierolleyes.gif

71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

I would say watch Oprah and see what you think. Mackenzie is not jumping around on the sofas (like Tom Cruise did, lol) and since others have come out and defended her accusations, just makes her story more real.

Is the issue people who don't believe her are having is that she is so crazy nothing she says could be credible, or is it that her father was such a great upstanding person that he would never do such a thing?

Well to be honest, i liked Valerie Bertinelli better on One Day At A Time anyway :) and was never a Mackenzie "fan". I just don't understand why so many are so shocked about such a story and can't grasp that this not only could have happened, but that it happens to thousands of children every day.

edit: i believe she could have made money in a different way other than making up such a story.

I would say watch Oprah and see what you think. Mackenzie is not jumping around on the sofas (like Tom Cruise did, lol) and since others have come out and defended her accusations, just makes her story more real.

Is the issue people who don't believe her are having is that she is so crazy nothing she says could be credible, or is it that her father was such a great upstanding person that he would never do such a thing?

Well to be honest, i liked Valerie Bertinelli better on One Day At A Time anyway smile.gif and was never a Mackenzie "fan". I just don't understand why so many are so shocked about such a story and can't grasp that this not only could have happened, but that it happens to thousands of children every day.

I believe it could be true but the motivation for bringing it out now is $$$ wink.gif

I believe it could be true but the motivation for bringing it out now is $$$ wink.gif

Okay i misinterpreted what you were saying :) I thought you were saying she made up the story for money. I agree that money may very well be a motivating factor in her story being told at this time. I just don't think as a stoned mess she would have been able to write this story let alone understand it. I think as she sobered up, she was able to really look at what happened and start to figure things out.

Anyone who believes this is nuts. There's no way to verify this since John is dead and she's had a history of drug problems......I give her a big "yeah right" and wonder about the people so quick to believe her. She's a sick, sick person and making up such vile lies about her own father all for the sake of making a few bucks and selling some books....she should be beaten with sticks.

thought the same thing myself

remember Wynona Rider's shoplifting?

I agree with you tange, I seriously doubt she would make up something that explosive were it not true.

It takes guts to spill your ugly dirty family secrets. Secrets that more likely than not were at the root of her drug addictions.

So she'll make a few bucks. Who hasn't, that has the opportunity?

I agree that it will spark conversations and maybe help others.

It DOES happen. And if it helps her, so be it.

"Big Deal".... in a way.....

Because..... Incest amongst the Royal Bloodlines of various cultures is already documented.

It just so happened that MacKenzie was involved in the white trash rock'n'roll version of this.

Father-Daughter is the most common type of incest.

But, MacKenzie still doing it with her father, her being married with children.... well that's not your everyday encounter with insanity !

By airing all of the dirt, I hope that she can get on with her life.

I'll be surprised if she comes up later saying "It was Lie".

I'm in the middle of this book now. I knew she had a crazy life, but she's been involved in some absurd situations. Mind you, most of them were due to her addiction. I do find her to be very honest. She was in such a drug haze for years and years that she either didn't realize how she was portraying herself to others, or else she just blocked things from her memory, or just accepted things as they happened without thinking twice. Bijou Phillips wrote a song about John about 10 years ago that referred to incest. But it's not certain whether the song was about Mackenzie, or Bijou's own experience.

She will be a guest on Larry King Live, Wednesday night.

Thanks Hotplant - I'll probably check this out. There's been a couple of interviews on YouTube in the aftermath where she's defending her words. I think she handled herself well. Larry King should be interesting.

Bijou Phillips wrote a song about John about 10 years ago that referred to incest. But it's not certain whether the song was about Mackenzie, or Bijou's own experience.

What song are you referring to? Bijou said recently that her father would never have been capable of such actions, and she lived alone with him since the age of 3.

What song are you referring to? Bijou said recently that her father would never have been capable of such actions, and she lived alone with him since the age of 3.

Bijou didn't say that, Bijous' mother said that as well as Michelle Phillips. Bijou has come out in support of MacKenzie's allegations.

I for one believe MacKenzie no matter how drug crazed she is/was or even if her motivation for unleashing this account was not entirely for the "healing" of people who were sexually abused/assualted in some way. John Phillips may have written pretty songs but he was known to be absolutely deranged for a loooonnnnggg time before this story surfaced.

I just don't understand why so many are so shocked about such a story and can't grasp that this not only could have happened, but that it happens to thousands of children every day.

Because they were both married adults and the length of time it took place.

Bijou didn't say that, Bijous' mother said that as well as Michelle Phillips. Bijou has come out in support of MacKenzie's allegations.

No, she hasn't:

In a series of messages posted on her Twitter page, Bijou writes, "Exploiting the history of our family and the death of our father John Phillips for the release of a book is disgusting. Allegations of sexual abuse are not only hurtful, but malicious when he is not here to defend himself.

"When I was young my sister told me about this - it ruined my life and my relationship with my father. Up till that point, I was a normal kid. I got good grades, loved my horse, was pretty innocent. I moved out to NYC at 13. Started doing drugs, did not talk to my Dad anymore... I was deeply f**ked up. I'm 29 now, I've talked to everyone who was around during that time, I've asked the hard questions. I do not believe my sister. Our father is many things, this is not one of them. My dad and I made up when I was 20, a year before he died. I'm sad I lost those years with him, and I lost those years at home."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=48565#ixzz0ScOVM5Qv

No, she hasn't:

In a series of messages posted on her Twitter page, Bijou writes, "Exploiting the history of our family and the death of our father John Phillips for the release of a book is disgusting. Allegations of sexual abuse are not only hurtful, but malicious when he is not here to defend himself.

"When I was young my sister told me about this - it ruined my life and my relationship with my father. Up till that point, I was a normal kid. I got good grades, loved my horse, was pretty innocent. I moved out to NYC at 13. Started doing drugs, did not talk to my Dad anymore... I was deeply f**ked up. I'm 29 now, I've talked to everyone who was around during that time, I've asked the hard questions. I do not believe my sister. Our father is many things, this is not one of them. My dad and I made up when I was 20, a year before he died. I'm sad I lost those years with him, and I lost those years at home."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=48565#ixzz0ScOVM5Qv

I just searched that quote you posted from Bijou Phillips & apparently she posted that 2 days after she came out supporting MacKenzie through a statement on Oprah. Is she flip flopping? Is she worried that money won't be coming in from the sale of Mama's & Papa's records now that these allegations have come out? I could be cynical & say yes because monetarily all of John Phillips close family could be affected negatively or positively through these allegations depending on their seperate situations through their inheritances of his estate, but no I think she is just extremely pissed, hurt, & confused like anyone would be if the image of their family life was turned upside down with little personal control over it. It's a normal reaction. I don't think her original support or her now non-support of MacKenzies' allegations were said with a clear rational head. She's pissed, she has a right to be, but over time I dont think she's not going to paint one a villian over the other, but both John & MacKenzie as villans which is probably closer to the truth anyway. Neither were saints, but in the pecking order of a father/daughter relationship one of them definately crossed the line more than the other & thats John. He already admitted years ago he started his daughter down the path of addiction as a pre-teen by pushing drugs on her because he was deranged on drugs himself. Along the way he beat his ex-wives, alienated his friends & bandmates with his need for total control over them even though he had none himself, etc. all of this coming out when he was alive to defend himself from those particular allegations. All this has been known for years, the only new thing is the incest allegations. Beautiful sonwriter, a creep as a person regardless if this allegation is "true" or not.

Not sure what my take on this is but I'm cue-ing up some Mama's and Papa's as I type.

The music still sounds great. And by the way, I think I'll watch Chinatown later on and then visit there tomorrow for some sweet buns.

All I know of John is his music. All I know of MacKenzie is her whackoness and I never liked her show are cared for Valerie Bertinelli Halen either.

I just searched that quote you posted from Bijou Phillips & apparently she posted that 2 days after she came out supporting MacKenzie through a statement on Oprah. Is she flip flopping?

Chynna Phillips is the sister who appeared on the Oprah show in support of Mackenzie. Chynna was in Wilson Phillips. Bijou Phillips is much younger. They all have different mothers; John was married about 4 times.

Chynna with husband Billy Baldwin: 31.jpg

Bijou: bijou_phillips.0.0.0x0.304x350.jpeg

Oprah did read a statement from Bijou as I recall, but it was definitely not supportive of Mackenzie. It was more like, "If you really thought he was a sexual deviant, why did you leave me alone with him?"

Chynna Phillips is the sister who appeared on the Oprah show in support of Mackenzie. Chynna was in Wilson Phillips. Bijou Phillips is much younger. They all have different mothers; John was married about 4 times.

Chynna with husband Billy Baldwin: 31.jpg

Bijou: bijou_phillips.0.0.0x0.304x350.jpeg

Oprah did read a statement from Bijou as I recall, but it was definitely not supportive of Mackenzie. It was more like, "If you really thought he was a sexual deviant, why did you leave me alone with him?"

I know the difference between Chyna & Bijou because I actually met Bijou in a bar in the Bowery years ago lol. She was nuts by the way.

But the statement on Oprah was fairly supportive, she didn't come out & vilify MacKenzie and she was also protective of her father which I completely understand. Now she's anti-MacKenzie which I also understand. Chyna didn't paint her father as a villian either but acknowledged that the allegation was probably true even though she "couldn't" be absolutely certain that anything took place. These allegations I'm sure are a hard thing to process for all involved & a lot of anger is going to come out flying in all directions. There's always going to be the process of confusion, anger, denial, & maybe somewhere down the line acceptance in a situation like this.

People who doubt MacKenzie's allegations say its convenient that she came out with these allegations because she has a book to promote & to make some money off it while her father can't defend himself. Well, it seems to me she made these allegations over 10 years ago privately to her family like a normal person would, when there was no book or money to be made off of it, & her father was alive to defend himself. What happend then? Did her family treat the allegations like it was the elephant in the room that no one dared confront each other with? Speculation on my part but that seems to be what happend, that if they ignored it that it would just go away. One former junkie family member accusing another former junkie family member of such a thing & you're caught in the middle, who are you going to believe?

I remember about 20 years ago John & Michelle Phillips both came out with books just weeks apart, each accusing the other of nasty deeds & both of them went into attack mode in the media against the other. Both of them were on the Howard Stern Show where they had a particular nasty battle with eachother & Michelle calling out John as a liar & John denying every allegation thrown at him unless it was something that was already in HIS book & saying she was "crazy". Are they both liars or are both telling the truth? Probably a bit of both. So I think it's funny/sad that Michelle who went through the same media circus 20 years ago head on with John & him calling her crazy & a liar would outright dismiss MacKenzies' allegations & calling MacKenzie "crazy". They're all crazy in my book. Family dysfunction has a new name & it's now called Phillips.

I thought she handled herself well on Larry King last night - except for when she kept calling him "Sir" over & over again. :slapface: Seems to be a big change from the end of the book. I got the impression that she wasn't close with Chynna, and that Bijou was her biggest supporter. Bijou was the first person to visit her when she was busted at LAX last year. And now it seems it's reversed.

I thought she handled herself well on Larry King last night - except for when she kept calling him "Sir" over & over again. :slapface: Seems to be a big change from the end of the book. I got the impression that she wasn't close with Chynna, and that Bijou was her biggest supporter. Bijou was the first person to visit her when she was busted at LAX last year. And now it seems it's reversed.

And Bijou was the one who took Mackenzie to NarcAnon, a Scientology program, to get sober. So it is strange. Also the coincidental (!) timing of Mackenzie's book coming out the same week as Chynna's new album (which is really good, by the way).

Kakdaddy, I've wondered the same thing as you: if Mackenzie told the family in 1997, when John was still alive, did anyone confront or even ask him about the allegations? Bijou says she left home as a result, and it ruined her relationship with her father. I guess one could read into it that John denied the allegations, but it's weird that no one talks about that. Also, both Bijou and Michelle Phillips say that Mackenzie told them about the abuse, but then retracted her story. I don't think Mackenzie has explained that.

Archived