My ride in a hot air balloon

TypeO

One of the coolest parts about my job is getting to do stuff I've never done before.

This morning it was riding in a hot air balloon to take aerial photos.

Pretty awesome, not as scary as I imagined it might be, even though we hit a pine tree (seriously!).

Check out right at 1:30 or so - one second I'm talkin' shit, then I'm all "uh-oh!" when I see the tree coming...

th_0925090732.jpg

8494abcde1aea53a.jpg8494abcde4600ef8.jpg

Liftoff

8494abcde788257b.jpg

Getting higher

8494abcded0dc572.jpg

The other balloon (United Van Lines balloon)

8494abcde93c7abc.jpg

We used to have a balloon race every year about this time of the late summer. Been at least ten years ago when they stopped having it.

There used to be some cool stuff to do around here but it's been getting drab for the past 15 or so years.

I need to move away from this city! (but come back to visit from time to time)

One of the coolest parts about my job is getting to do stuff I've never done before.

This morning it was riding in a hot air balloon to take aerial photos.

Pretty awesome, not as scary as I imagined it might be, even though we hit a pine tree (seriously!).

Check out right at 1:30 or so - one second I'm talkin' shit, then I'm all "uh-oh!" when I see the tree coming...

th_0925090732.jpg

8494abcde1aea53a.jpg8494abcde4600ef8.jpg

Liftoff

8494abcde788257b.jpg

Getting higher

8494abcded0dc572.jpg

The other balloon (United Van Lines balloon)

8494abcde93c7abc.jpg

How's it going "TypeO?" I hope all is well with you. I've ridden in a hot air balloon before, I had the time of my life! I also rode in a helicopter as well as went bungee jumping! Bungee Jumping is like suicide if you're on a death wish mission! Ha Ha! Anyway, you ought to get one of those inflatible pigs as a hot air balloon like the one used in the PINK FLOYD Animals Tour in 1977. Take care and ROCK ON!

There's no place like home...there's no place like home ;)

You're braver than I am. That's one of those things that looks like fun but I'm semi-afraid to try :lol:

How's it going "ninelives?" I hope all is well with you. Its really not as bad as it seems. Don't be afraid! What I wouldn't give just to take you on your first hot air balloon ride! That would be fun in itself. Ha Ha! You'll probably love your first time experience so much that I couldn't even pry you away from the hot air balloon. Ha Ha! Have a great day "ninelives!"

I don't think I'd be very comfortable going up in a ballon, but we went to a fest where they lit up all the ballons at night, with fireworks and the some version of the Doobie Brothers providing the music. Some of the ballons were shaped like animals, and were huge!

I don't think I'd be very comfortable going up in a ballon, but we went to a fest where they lit up all the ballons at night, with fireworks and the some version of the Doobie Brothers providing the music. Some of the ballons were shaped like animals, and were huge!

Yeah, they did that last night - they called it the Balloon Glow.

Got some awesome pics, will post soon as I offload and convert them.

Yeah, they did that last night - they called it the Balloon Glow.

Got some awesome pics, will post soon as I offload and convert them.

I remember going to a NC Symphony show back during the early 1990's in Raleigh at Meredith College, at the end of the show they did a Balloon Glow like your talking about.

About 25 balloon's in a area the size of a football field, all at least 50 feet tall! What a sight! The sound of all there flame throwers going off at the same time was just as loud as the PA that was set up for the music!

I don't know if that was ever done again but, it was cool and free to the public. To bad that was an hour and a half drive from here. :(

Archived