Lack of Confidence, Fear, Laziness, Injury, Illness or Contentment

FullyLedded

Which of the above mentioned or combination of, would anyone feel is the reason that Jimmy has sort of faded in the last decade. Would love to see him play with Beck and or Clapton....but he isn't the type. My gut is that it is lack of confidence and fear. I think Jimmy is the type that can't be spontaneous anymore or has he ever been spontaneous? Maybe the new year will shed some hope regarding Jimmy as a solo artist....but I don't anticipate it.

Which of the above mentioned or combination of, would anyone feel is the reason that Jimmy has sort of faded in the last decade. Would love to see him play with Beck and or Clapton....but he isn't the type. My gut is that it is lack of confidence and fear. I think Jimmy is the type that can't be spontaneous anymore or has he ever been spontaneous? Maybe the new year will shed some hope regarding Jimmy as a solo artist....but I don't anticipate it.

Hello FullyLedded

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but I personally DO NOT think Jimmy has faded in any way. Did you see "It Might Get Loud". As he stated " Every night we were on stage it was living, totally living." When he talked about caressing the guitar like a woman, and then Jack White and The Edge, their reaction when Jimmy started Whole Lotta Love. He always has and will always be a musical genius. I think if it is the right project he will do it.

I do hope that this new year something will be announced......and I'll keep hoping:-)

Jimmy may not be as present in the public eye as he was at Led Zeppelins "peak" (this is subjective because I know, as many other members do here, that Led Zeppelin is as ever present in our lives as they were 30+ years ago) but I don't think it's for lack of confidence, fearfulness, laziness, injuries... maybe contentment. Dealing with personal problems and the loss of a good friend and settling down and raising a family might have become greater priorities later on... but IMO he's still as significant and revered now as he was back then.

Certainly, the back injury and subsequent therapy sidelined him for about a year but since that time raising his children became a top priority. By his own admission, he simply has no interest in maintaining a proper solo career.

Certainly, the back injury and subsequent therapy sidelined him for about a year but since that time raising his children became a top priority. By his own admission, he simply has no interest in maintaining a proper solo career.

I think his deal with satan ran out. :blink::D

• 3 weeks later...

I think you said it right when you said Jimmy has kinda faded...I think that happens to all of us if we live long enough. Jimmy is in his 60's...his golden years. That's not to say his vitality has diminished but it's certainly not unheard of for people to mellow and spend more time with family when they get older. Jimmy has also alluded in times past to really enjoying solitude...only to emerge from it with some master work! My feeling is that we haven't quite come to the end of Jimmy's career yet...there will be some new material.

Hello FullyLedded

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but I personally DO NOT think Jimmy has faded in any way. Did you see "It Might Get Loud". As he stated " Every night we were on stage it was living, totally living." When he talked about caressing the guitar like a woman, and then Jack White and The Edge, their reaction when Jimmy started Whole Lotta Love. He always has and will always be a musical genius. I think if it is the right project he will do it.

I do hope that this new year something will be announced......and I'll keep hoping:-)

I agree. I have to see that movie. Page will never fade. 40 years strong!!!!

To make an analogy he's like a person who lost the true love of his life & he's tried to move on by "dating" others but it's not the same for him & since his ex won't/can't get back with him he'd rather not "date" anyone else at all.

Bingo! If Robert ever changed his mind (which he may yet still do) and agreed to some sort of reunion-- be it recording or tour-- you'd see Jimmy "come back to life" in the blink of an eye... and play rings around all of those young whippersnappers out there today.

Unless we ask The Man directly, we'll never know ... even then he might not have an answer; might not know himself.

But it is my wild assed guess that maybe he has created SO MANY AMAZING RIFFS that he just doesn't have that many left to give to fill an entire CD these days.

99.9% of guitarists wished they could have come up with 1% of the riffs Jimmy has given the world.

There's exceptions to every rule, but I truly believe this: The best rock and roll is created by the young.

Bingo! If Robert ever changed his mind (which he may yet still do) and agreed to some sort of reunion-- be it recording or tour-- you'd see Jimmy "come back to life" in the blink of an eye... and play rings around all of those young whippersnappers out there today.

It happened once, in the 90s. And from this thread, I see a lot of people are not excited.

But it is my wild assed guess that maybe he has created SO MANY AMAZING RIFFS that he just doesn't have that many left to give to fill an entire CD these days.

Jimmy himself clearly disagreed with you, as in December 2007/Jan 2008(sorry I forget the date of this quote) he said "I've got things I've been working on for the past four years that I'm proud of. Some of the songs I've got ready are as good as anything I've done in the past."

Why he doesn't want to show them to the fans, that remains a question.

This is my opinion to part of your question. Your quote, "I think Jimmy is the type that can't be spontaneous anymore or has he ever been spontaneous?"

My answer and this is my opinion only:

How can you say this about Jimmy Page "has he ever been spontaneous?"

If you are a big fan of Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin like I am, all you have to do is listen to or watch a Led Zeppelin bootleg album, cd or dvd and that should answer any question about Jimmy's "spontaneity".

How can you or someone else say that about Jimmy Page? One simple example: about 30 or minutes of "Dazed and Confused" from the "Song Remains the Same". If you are familiar with Led Zeppelin bootleg cd's than I think that you would agree that Jimmy Page was (and still is) is very spontaneous at the Music he creates.

Jimmy himself clearly disagreed with you, as in December 2007/Jan 2008(sorry I forget the date of this quote) he said "I've got things I've been working on for the past four years that I'm proud of. Some of the songs I've got ready are as good as anything I've done in the past."

Why he doesn't want to show them to the fans, that remains a question.

Playing the devil's advocate, I could say the same thing: I've created music that is just as good as Led Zeppelin. I just don't want to release it. ... NOW WE KNOW THAT IS NOT TRUE, but I'm just saying this: Until Jimmy releases something, I am going to hold my opinion. I would LOVE to see him prove me wrong!

Playing the devil's advocate, I could say the same thing: I've created music that is just as good as Led Zeppelin. I just don't want to release it. ... NOW WE KNOW THAT IS NOT TRUE, but I'm just saying this: Until Jimmy releases something, I am going to hold my opinion. I would LOVE to see him prove me wrong!

Yeah, everyone can talk, but only the result counts. I'm the same with you.

Archived