I Just Met JPJ

MightyZep

I don't know where this post belongs but I had a crazy experience today. Just got home from the Austin City Limits Festival where Them Crooked Vultures played tonight. Great show! Anyways, around 1:30 today I was in the back of a crowd watching a show going on and my buddy taps me on the shoulder. He says, "Is that a band next to us?" I look over and don't recognize anybody... and then I do a double take. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. John Paul Jones is standing like 10 feet next to me!! Slowly I walked over trying to keep everything cool (I wasn't going to mess up an opportunity like this). I ask him if he is JPJ, he says yes and I shake his hand. I ask him if I could maybe take a picture and he says in his awesome British accent, "Maybe later. Maybe later..." He turned me down. It's ok though! He didn't want everyone to freak out and that's totally cool. Plus, he gave me one of the greatest memories I've ever had. I mean... Led Zeppelin started me into music! Anyone else have a cool story?

I don't know where this post belongs but I had a crazy experience today. Just got home from the Austin City Limits Festival where Them Crooked Vultures played tonight. Great show! Anyways, around 1:30 today I was in the back of a crowd watching a show going on and my buddy taps me on the shoulder. He says, "Is that a band next to us?" I look over and don't recognize anybody... and then I do a double take. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. John Paul Jones is standing like 10 feet next to me!! Slowly I walked over trying to keep everything cool (I wasn't going to mess up an opportunity like this). I ask him if he is JPJ, he says yes and I shake his hand. I ask him if I could maybe take a picture and he says in his awesome British accent, "Maybe later. Maybe later..." He turned me down. It's ok though! He didn't want everyone to freak out and that's totally cool. Plus, he gave me one of the greatest memories I've ever had. I mean... Led Zeppelin started me into music! Anyone else have a cool story?

So glad to hear you were able to meet John! Photos fade but I'll bet that memory never does.

That's awesome! Very cool!

What a great memory MightZep!! I had to smile when you said you had to do a double take, then suprise!! Thanks for sharing:-)

The closest I ever got was in 1975 I was in front of the stage and I got to look JPJ and Robert several times in the eyes.

What a great memory MightZep!! I had to smile when you said you had to do a double take, then suprise!! Thanks for sharing:-)

The closest I ever got was in 1975 I was in front of the stage and I got to look JPJ and Robert several times in the eyes.

Woah. I cannot imagine seeing them in their prime. Or just SEEING them together for that matter.

I hate to bring the house down with the following negative comment.

But, "maybe later, maybe later" just sounds so stuck up to me. What was he doing at that point in time that he couldn't take two seconds to smile for a picture?

I really can't see Plant or Page doing this. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying they are obligated to pose for every picture, but let's face it, YOU'RE A FREAKIN' LEGEND. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO PEOPLE TO MEET YOU AND HAVE A PICTURE TAKEN WITH YOU?

Sorry for the yelling. :blink:

I hate to bring the house down with the following negative comment.

But, "maybe later, maybe later" just sounds so stuck up to me. What was he doing at that point in time that he couldn't take two seconds to smile for a picture?

I really can't see Plant or Page doing this. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not saying they are obligated to pose for every picture, but let's face it, YOU'RE A FREAKIN' LEGEND. DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS MEANS TO PEOPLE TO MEET YOU AND HAVE A PICTURE TAKEN WITH YOU?

Sorry for the yelling. :blink:

You won't have a chance to get close to Page, as long as Mr. Halfin is there.

Woah. I cannot imagine seeing them in their prime. Or just SEEING them together for that matter.

here was the set list when I saw them:

May 14, 1973 at the Municiple Auditrium in New Orleans.The set list was: Rock & Roll, Celebration Day,(Bring It On home Intro), Black Dog, Over The Hills & Far Away, Misty Mountain Hop, SIBLY,No Quarter, TSRST, Rain Song, Dazed and Confused, Stairway To Heaven, Moby Dick, Heartbreaker, WLL,-Let That Boy Boogie & Communication Breakdown.

To see Bonham doing Moby Dick and D&C with JPJ and Jimmy and Roberts voice in SIBLY still brings chills to me. I was forever changed when it came to music.

Then February 28, 1975 in Baton Rouge at the LSU Assembly Center with the set list:Rock & Roll, Sick Again, Over The Hills And Far Away,In My Time Of Dying,TSRTS, Rain Song, Kashmir, No Quarter, Trampled Under Foot, Moby Dick, Dazed & Confused, Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog.

Here I was stage front on the left and to see JPJ starting No Quarter on keyboards, and his bass on D&C along with Jimmy and what he does with this was truly an out of body experience. The Rain Song...all of it, Moby Dick again. Then STH, we all went nuts to say the least. Kashmir, forget it, amazing doesn't even begin to do it justice. In My Time of Dying is literally in my will to be played at my funeral!! I remember my emotions being so ready to explode that my eyes filled with tears of joy and my entire body had chills most of the time. I wished I could put you next to me for those two nights as it is truly hard to explain in words the experience. Their music was from the soul and they made it an experience not just a concert. So many times I close my eyes and I am there again in my mind and I always smile.I went to all of the concerts in the mid 70's and 80's and saw most of the best bands around and I can tell you in my opinion NO ONE was as great as Zeppelin LIVE!!! Period.

I love the studio albums (yes vinyl:-) and now the CD's, and I have bought every DVD that I can find that has their blessing....but to see these four men all together in their prime...maybe that's why I am an unwavering fan now almost 4 decades later and God willing a few more decades, I will still be listening to them. :-)

Edit: Join our fictional thread as this is as close as it get's for now, because just imagining them getting together again literally made me emotionally excited and to see all of the younger fans getting involved makes my heart fill with joy!! :-)

here was the set list when I saw them:

May 14, 1973 at the Municiple Auditrium in New Orleans.The set list was: Rock & Roll, Celebration Day,(Bring It On home Intro), Black Dog, Over The Hills & Far Away, Misty Mountain Hop, SIBLY,No Quarter, TSRST, Rain Song, Dazed and Confused, Stairway To Heaven, Moby Dick, Heartbreaker, WLL,-Let That Boy Boogie & Communication Breakdown.

To see Bonham doing Moby Dick and D&C with JPJ and Jimmy and Roberts voice in SIBLY still brings chills to me. I was forever changed when it came to music.

Then February 28, 1975 in Baton Rouge at the LSU Assembly Center with the set list:Rock & Roll, Sick Again, Over The Hills And Far Away,In My Time Of Dying,TSRTS, Rain Song, Kashmir, No Quarter, Trampled Under Foot, Moby Dick, Dazed & Confused, Stairway To Heaven, Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog.

Here I was stage front on the left and to see JPJ starting No Quarter on keyboards, and his bass on D&C along with Jimmy and what he does with this was truly an out of body experience. The Rain Song...all of it, Moby Dick again. Then STH, we all went nuts to say the least. Kashmir, forget it, amazing doesn't even begin to do it justice. In My Time of Dying is literally in my will to be played at my funeral!! I remember my emotions being so ready to explode that my eyes filled with tears of joy and my entire body had chills most of the time. I wished I could put you next to me for those two nights as it is truly hard to explain in words the experience. Their music was from the soul and they made it an experience not just a concert. So many times I close my eyes and I am there again in my mind and I always smile.I went to all of the concerts in the mid 70's and 80's and saw most of the best bands around and I can tell you in my opinion NO ONE was as great as Zeppelin LIVE!!! Period.

I love the studio albums (yes vinyl:-) and now the CD's, and I have bought every DVD that I can find that has their blessing....but to see these four men all together in their prime...maybe that's why I am an unwavering fan now almost 4 decades later and God willing a few more decades, I will still be listening to them. :-)

Edit: Join our fictional thread as this is as close as it get's for now, because just imagining them getting together again literally made me emotionally excited and to see all of the younger fans getting involved makes my heart fill with joy!! :-)

You are so lucky to get to have seen them in their prime. The few times that I have seen Robert solo has been outstanding but I can't imagine seeing THEM. There's nothing like Led Zeppelin and there is no way to describe how amazing the music is! Truly.

Thats a cool happening. i canvassed for greenpeace in the early 90s and got to table at some shows. after one of the -page/plant shows in 95 at msg, there was a down pour of rain and we were all hanging out under this canopy and jimmy page and robert plant walked by us all into a car...as we clapped and howled. actually i was able to get my brother in under the greenpeace thing and he shook hands with robert plant, which was cool. it was all about ten seconds but it was cool.

Archived