Figuring out keys by ear

nki

How do you guys figure out keys? I'm talking mainly in situations where you're just essentially with a guitar in your hands and you just have to jam along to something you hear for the first time. I try to play random stuff until something sounds right, then it's easy. But the problem is I spend WAY too much time figuring it out like this and of course what you play sounds rubbish. So is there any other way to go about it, or is it just practice until you get faster at this? Is it possible to hear keys reasonably fast without actually playing anything?

A lot of times, the key is the first chord. Then I'd go from there. Lots of rock and roll songs have a nice 1, 4, 5 progression. Or sometimes it goes from 1 to 5. In addition, it can often go from 1, 6(minor), 4, 5(7th). Jazz is a whole other ball of wax. :D (but worth it) :beer:

How do you guys figure out keys? I'm talking mainly in situations where you're just essentially with a guitar in your hands and you just have to jam along to something you hear for the first time. I try to play random stuff until something sounds right, then it's easy. But the problem is I spend WAY too much time figuring it out like this and of course what you play sounds rubbish. So is there any other way to go about it, or is it just practice until you get faster at this? Is it possible to hear keys reasonably fast without actually playing anything?

Try a web search saying "Guitar chords for ...."

I can pick out pitch (mostly) buy just hearing it but I've been playing for decades so that help's. B)

Archived