I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

The American Cinematheque began a Samuel L. Jackson retrospective Monday night and "Hard Eight" was coincidentally the first movie in the series. So, it also became a Philip Baker Hall R.I.P. tribute screening. Philip Seymour Hoffman is also gone from this film. Still one of Paul Thomas Anderson's best films. A helluva lot better than than that "Licorice Pizza" crap.

MV5BMmExNDIzY2ItOTNjNS00NmE1LTk4MmQtNzI2MTUyYTE1ODE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.thumb.jpg.f39baa67ba989bb8af3dbd37f2634f80.jpg

Last night in the Samuel L. Jackson series was "Fresh", one of the better of those gangsta films that were common in the late-1980s and 1990s: "Colors", "Boyz 'N the Hood", "Juice", "Menace II Society", etc.

MV5BODVhZjZhOGYtMTg5OC00YjllLWEwNTMtNmUyMWExMmU0MTJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk0MjQ3Nzk@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.96b31178bbcc6bf5a2af8355bbab1dff.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun double-bill last night. Lee Purcell (Peggy) and William Katt (Jack) came by for a Q and A after "Big Wednesday", and since we had done an event with Lee before, she recognized us and we got to hang out with them a bit more. She is still very attractive. Billy still looks pretty much the same only his hair is white. He said he no longer surfs.

293688726_6225064500861222_7204024121182502865_n.jpg.7ea9b03ca31adafc7233ec5d398b8041.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 7/14/2022 at 11:03 PM, redrum said:

Been watching so many of late, can't list them all.

Love the old, hot as hell in the south Burt Reynolds flicks. 

WHITE LIGHTNING.jpg

Hahaha, Burt kind of looks more like Charles Bronson in that poster.

A wonderful and, given that temps were above 90 degrees, cool weekend at the movies, courtesy of the American Cinematheque.

Friday night: "Zappa!" documentary by Alex Winter. The Zappa Vaults have been unleashed. Alex Winter, Ahmet Zappa and others were in person for a Q & A.

P1005620-1536x1012.jpg.b23bd360c3c0df712c834360f5fff3d1.jpg

MV5BODAyMTlkMDMtYTAyOC00ODY1LTg4NzItNjk3MDU3MGMyZDI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.44ed47f52eb41b1f93e20e94bc60ca34.jpg

Saturday night: "Goodfellas". Sold out crowd came out for Ray Liotta's Henry Hill. Just how did "Goodfellas" lose Best Picture to "Dancing with Wolves"? One of the worst decisions in Oscar history.

61Ot42kXQsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.42266c00d2f528ffb1ab3f0e916c62ff.jpg

Sunday afternoon: "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". Greatest married couple ever. Hahaha.

MV5BYzczM2VlNmQtODc3OS00MWEyLWI2ODItN2Y3YTliNTI4ZDhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.thumb.jpg.c96d02b0a71d82eec70a0cbb763a2e39.jpg

"Little Dieter Needs to Fly". Vietnam POW escapee Dieter Dengler documentary. Werner Herzog's documentary was later the basis for his movie "Rescue Dawn".

MV5BZjQwMTM1YzYtYzZiYS00ODhkLWIwNWUtNzZjNmZiZDI4M2YxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.7b0c795c94e47c63c2f41d77deb56d19.jpg

Sunday night: "Sorcerer". William Friedkin's 1977 remake of Clouzot's 1953 "The Wages of Fear". "Wages of Fear" is still better overall as a film, but "Sorcerer" is worth watching for the crazy bridge scene and the Tangerine Dream score. Terrific on the big screen with the jungle noises surrounding you.

MV5BZTE4Zjc2MWQtZTYzNS00ZjJmLWFhYWUtMGI0M2ZkOWRhYWJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjYzNDExNzU@._V1_.thumb.jpg.7a35d5eccd6da1ca4627a386d3478e8a.jpg

Edited by Strider

Watched it the other night. Nothing like booze fueled arguments. 😄

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf main idea?
The central message of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is widely believed to be that human beings must learn to live without illusion. Throughout the play, the characters do battle to protect their own versions of reality, while tearing down each other's.

VIRGINIA WOOLF.jpg

My wife and I just finished the Documentary, Girl in the picture on Netflix. Very good doc. As far as actually going to the movie theater. I don’t know that I’ve been in the last few years. I need to change that. 

16 hours ago, redrum said:

1971 classic. 

THE FRENCH CONNECTION.jpg

Gene was and is a total badass. Great movie. One of my favorite actors ever. He could do it all. Drama, comedy. I miss that guy in films. He has been my favorite character in many movies. 

On 7/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, Strider said:

A wonderful and, given that temps were above 90 degrees, cool weekend at the movies, courtesy of the American Cinematheque.

Friday night: "Zappa!" documentary by Alex Winter. The Zappa Vaults have been unleashed. Alex Winter, Ahmet Zappa and others were in person for a Q & A.

P1005620-1536x1012.jpg.b23bd360c3c0df712c834360f5fff3d1.jpg

MV5BODAyMTlkMDMtYTAyOC00ODY1LTg4NzItNjk3MDU3MGMyZDI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.44ed47f52eb41b1f93e20e94bc60ca34.jpg

Saturday night: "Goodfellas". Sold out crowd came out for Ray Liotta's Henry Hill. Just how did "Goodfellas" lose Best Picture to "Dancing with Wolves"? One of the worst decisions in Oscar history.

61Ot42kXQsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.42266c00d2f528ffb1ab3f0e916c62ff.jpg

Sunday afternoon: "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?". Greatest married couple ever. Hahaha.

MV5BYzczM2VlNmQtODc3OS00MWEyLWI2ODItN2Y3YTliNTI4ZDhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_.thumb.jpg.c96d02b0a71d82eec70a0cbb763a2e39.jpg

"Little Dieter Needs to Fly". Vietnam POW escapee Dieter Dengler documentary. Werner Herzog's documentary was later the basis for his movie "Rescue Dawn".

MV5BZjQwMTM1YzYtYzZiYS00ODhkLWIwNWUtNzZjNmZiZDI4M2YxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMwMjk0MTQ@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.7b0c795c94e47c63c2f41d77deb56d19.jpg

Sunday night: "Sorcerer". William Friedkin's 1977 remake of Clouzot's 1953 "The Wages of Fear". "Wages of Fear" is still better overall as a film, but "Sorcerer" is worth watching for the crazy bridge scene and the Tangerine Dream score. Terrific on the big screen with the jungle noises surrounding you.

MV5BZTE4Zjc2MWQtZTYzNS00ZjJmLWFhYWUtMGI0M2ZkOWRhYWJjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjYzNDExNzU@._V1_.thumb.jpg.7a35d5eccd6da1ca4627a386d3478e8a.jpg

All great choices Sir. Also, for those who haven’t seen “ Grizzly Man “ that is a great documentary. Herzog has a great style to his movies. No exaggeration, I’ve probably watched Good Fellas a couple hundred times. My wife and I will still put it on when we are going to sleep. What a cast, story, the acting, everything about it is brilliant. 

6 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Gene was and is a total badass. Great movie. One of my favorite actors ever. He could do it all. Drama, comedy. I miss that guy in films. He has been my favorite character in many movies. 

I'm glad I pulled it out to watch it again. Filmed mostly in freezing New York weather. 

Another one in the same genre with another great car chase with Bill Hickman driving. He was fearless. Lobianco a sleezeball, as usual. 😄

THE SEVEN UPS-2.jpg

19 hours ago, redrum said:

I'm glad I pulled it out to watch it again. Filmed mostly in freezing New York weather. 

Another one in the same genre with another great car chase with Bill Hickman driving. He was fearless. Lobianco a sleezeball, as usual. 😄

THE SEVEN UPS-2.jpg

Roy S was an amazing actor. Such a class act, one of my childhood favorites. It’s funny, with all these new streaming services, we do not have the same caliber of actors anymore. I don’t know that it is better or worse. But when I grew we had real movie stars. I feel like now with Netflix, HBO-Max, Showtime, Amazon, Hulu, all the other crap, we don’t have the same level of movies stars. Maybe the world will right itself soon. 

5 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Roy S was an amazing actor. Such a class act, one of my childhood favorites. It’s funny, with all these new streaming services, we do not have the same caliber of actors anymore. I don’t know that it is better or worse. But when I grew we had real movie stars. I feel like now with Netflix, HBO-Max, Showtime, Amazon, Hulu, all the other crap, we don’t have the same level of movies stars. Maybe the world will right itself soon. 

Depending on your definition of "caliber of actors", I can think of some actors in the past twenty years who have (I believe) greatly contributed to the profession of acting:

James Gandolfini (The Sopranos) 

Edie Falco (The Sopranos/Nurse Jackie)                                               

Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)       

Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)             

Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) 

Lena Heady (Game of Thrones)     

Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)   

Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan)         

Paula Malcomson (Ray Donovan)

Claire Danes (Homeland)              

Damian Lewis (Homeland)         

Michael Kenneth Williams (The Wire)                                     

Dominic West (The Wire)         

Jon Hamm (Mad Men)                   

Christina Hendricks (Mad Men)     

Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men)             

Anna Paquin (True Blood)             

Melissa Roxburgh (Manifest)     

Kyle Chandler (Friday Night Lights)                                       

Connie Britton (Friday Night Lights)                                       

Steve Buscemi (Boardwalk Empire)                                       

Bob Odenkirk (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)     

Rhea Seehorn (Better Call Saul)     

Jonathon Banks (Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul)                       

Mary Louise Parker (Weeds)     

David Duchovny (Californication)       

Jason Bateman (Ozark)                   

Laura Linney (Ozark)                         

Julia Garner (Ozark) ... to name more than a few.

All these actors may not be "movie stars" but I think that each one has brought acting to a whole new level unprecedented in the history of television.  Almost all of them have received numerous awards and accolades for their work(s).

All these actors and their respective shows/series were made by HBO, AMC, Showtime and Netflix (with the exception of Friday Night Lights which aired on NBC). 

Just my opinion...

Edited by kingzoso