I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

On 11/23/2007 at 9:42 PM, kaztor (slight return) said:

You know those horror movies that you can see 5 times and STILL discover new things?

You know those horror movies that grip you right from the start until the very end without a hint of a weak or inferior moment?

You know those horror movies that are tension-laced and kick your ass completely when it comes to highly innovative, gruesome murders?

You know those horror movies that are old, but were way ahead of their time when they first got released?

ALL OF THIS AND MORE IS....

suspiria.jpg

Holy Snikees.  A friend of mine just showed me a trailer of this movie on YouTube a week ago.  He loves the movie and the band Goblin that does the soundtrack, or some of it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sully.  

i wasn't expecting to get so emotional, although the reality of the miracle that occurred is pretty intense.  I did not remember (or realize) that the NTSB folks were such jerks.  That was upsetting.  Sully was the right man to handle that situation, not sure anyone else could have done it.  And he seems like such a nice guy, too.

Got this from Redbox, and it was way funnier than I imagined.
Of course, I didn't realize it was The Lonely Island guys, which explained a lot.

REALLY funny stuff.

3937_popstar_1043.jpg

Not surprisingly, this was epic.
Key and Peele are real-deal hilarious.

Keanu.png

Edited by TypeO

On 9/21/2016 at 3:38 PM, zepscoda said:

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 

Tonight!

Amazing film. Gets funnier every time I see it. "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

So glad you took the time to see it in a proper theatre with a crowd...the way films are meant to be seen.

Edited by Strider

47 minutes ago, Strider said:

Amazing film. Gets funnier every time I see it. "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

So glad you took the time to see it in a proper theatre with a crowd...the way films are meant to be seen.

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: [very nervous] Lord, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

2016-09-24-11-12-53-1.png

Finally watched 2015's The Fantastic Four, thought it was fantastic. Not like the negative I read about it last year. I thought it had a great Doc Doom and Fantastic Four. It was just like a Fantastic Four movie should be I think.

Edited by luvlz2

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a double-bill you don't see every day: Alice Cooper and Harry Nilsson! The Alice Cooper wasn't the tacky ABC TV special aired in 1975 but an actual concert film shot at the Wembley Empire Pool. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter in the band. "Son of Dracula" was worth it just for the scenes of Harry Nilsson playing with his music buddies John Bonham, Keith Moon, Bobby Keys, Peter Frampton...and Ringo as the wizard Merlin! John Bonham playing his green sparkle kit. :D

20161025_185543.jpg

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 2:17 AM, Strider said:

Here's a double-bill you don't see every day: Alice Cooper and Harry Nilsson! The Alice Cooper wasn't the tacky ABC TV special aired in 1975 but an actual concert film shot at the Wembley Empire Pool. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter in the band. "Son of Dracula" was worth it just for the scenes of Harry Nilsson playing with his music buddies John Bonham, Keith Moon, Bobby Keys, Peter Frampton...and Ringo as the wizard Merlin! John Bonham playing his green sparkle kit. :D

20161025_185543.jpg

23 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Yep...that's the one! I have waited all my life to see this movie and at last, it happened. Rodney Bingenheimer was in attendance and he said he had never seen it, either.

Here's the part with Keith Moon miming the drums..."Jump In the Fire".

Edited by Strider

I'm kinda bummed..I had planned on going to The Shining on Wednesday, but had too much going on. There's a couple of great classic films being shown coming up this Fall & Winter...one of them is Breakfast at Tiffany's. I must see that on the big screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Finally a decent horror film. Disturbingly creepy on so many levels, I saw this sinister goody tonight at the AFI Fest. Magnificently shot in black-and-white. It is being released December 2...I recommend it to all horror fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want my last post to be too long. So, I am posting an in depth article of the story behind Mum's List in a separate post:

'KATE LEFT US 79 DYING WISHES'

Touching true story of the life lessons a mum left behind for her husband and sons which inspired new movie starring Emilia Fox

Mum-of-two Kate Greene left the heartbreaking list before she lost her battle with breast cancer in 2010, aged 37

BY LYNSEY CLARKE 

CRAWLING around a field, Singe Greene scoured the flattened grass for hours before shouting out in joy.

“I’ve got one!” he called as sons Reef, 12, and Finn, ten, looked excitedly towards their dad and ran over to jump in his arms.

Family posing together

All smiles . . . Mum Kate Greene with husband Singe and sons Reef and Finn

Tears filled their eyes as Singe presented the perfectly formed four-leaf clover — and by the end of that afternoon, after six years of searching, they had found not one, but FIVE of the lucky charms.

“Find four-leaf clovers” had been one of the requests of Kate Greene — Singe’s wife and the boys’ blue-eyed mum — before she lost her battle with breast cancer in 2010, aged 37.

In her final days, she wrote down 79 carefully considered requests, suggestions and instructions, including snorkelling in the Red Sea and for Singe always to kiss the boys twice.

Sun/video screen capture

The story behind Kate’s cancer battle has been made into the film Mum’s List

Emilia Fox in film

A story of devotion . . . Emilia Fox as doting mum Kate in the new film

When she died, Singe, now 50, turned her labour of love into a book, Mum’s List, which became a best-seller, printed in 22 languages.

And this Friday, the touching tale hits cinema screens, with Emilia Fox and Rafe Spall giving touching performances as the couple.

Paramedic Singe — short for St John — from Clevedon, North Somerset, says: “Finding the four-leaf clovers was the hardest of Kate’s requests. I looked for six years.

“Kate was amazing at finding them — she was a clover snob. I used to stick two together to make a six-leaf one but it wasn’t good enough for her.

Sun/video screen capture

A woman of note . . . Rafe Spall as Singe reading Kate’s List

“I had people scouring the countryside and I sprinkled seeds by her grave, thinking they might grow by her. After I found that one in a field, we searched for more, and in the end we got five. It was incredible.”

Reef, who was just six when his mum died, says: “We laminated them to keep them green for ever. I keep mine under something in my room so then I forget about it.

“Then when I’m cleaning and I lift the object up, I find it and it reminds me of Mum.”

Singe and Kate met as teenagers. He recalls: “We didn’t start dating until Kate was 16, and from then on we were besotted with each other.

“Even then she used to make lists. She wrote a dating contract for me to sign.

“It said I had to phone twice a day, flatter her and supply a flower once a week.

“We were the cool couple. We travelled the world together. We didn’t have a lot of money but we made the most of it — we both said life is not a rehearsal.

“That’s where Kate’s list came from. She was adventurous and loved life.

“In the film, the most emotional scene is when Emilia looks down the lens and reads the list. She nails it. She sounds just like Kate.”

When insurance underwriter Kate was diagnosed with cancer in 2008, Reef was recovering from the disease, though he had been given just a six per cent chance of survival.

Singe says: “He was 18 months old when he was diagnosed with rhabdoid sarcoma, one of the rarest cancers.

Four leaf clover

It took Singe and the boys six years to find a perfectly formed four-leaf clover

Sun/video screen capture

He said the hardest request was to 'find a woman to settle down with' for the boys

Sun/video screen capture

“As parents we felt helpless. Kate was pregnant with Finn and the stress brought on early labour.
"He was born ten weeks early and was also on life support, but he pulled through, and by some miracle so did Reef.

“He had 40 lots of chemotherapy and 30 lots of radiotherapy.

“I remember one New Year’s Eve while Reef was in hospital, Kate said, ‘I wish I could swap places with him.’ I said, ‘I do too.’

“We didn’t realise anybody was listening to us, but looking back it seems I couldn’t keep them both.”

At first Singe and Kate thought she would beat the cancer, like Reef had done, but after a mastectomy it came back and spread around her body.

One night when she came home after a spell in hospital, she asked Singe to take the boys to Llantwit Major on the South Wales coast when she was gone.

This was the start of the list.

Singe says: “Llantwit Major is where Kate went caravanning as a girl and where she picked four-leaf clovers. She reeled off a couple of other things, like to get a pebble chess set.

"She said, ‘I’m not going to make it, but you can take bits of me.’

“I had to leave the room and I completely broke down. But later I came back with a cup of tea and said she should write them down.

Dad Singe gave the boys sealed letters from Kate to coincide with the film's release

Dad Singe gave the boys sealed letters from Kate to coincide with the film's release

Sun/video screen capture

Scene from the film capturing the four-leaf clover find

“We stayed up until the early hours. From them on, I’d get texts or find Post-it notes saying things like, ‘Don’t let the boys smoke,’ ‘Mummy liked orange Club biscuits,’ and ‘Say the phrase acres and acres instead of I love you.’

“In December 2009 Kate insisted we go to Lapland. We didn’t know then that the cancer was back but her lungs were weak and she had an annoying cough.

“She could barely breathe but not a doctor in the world could have stopped her going on that trip.

“She wanted the boys to see Father Christmas in Santa Claus land. Afterwards, in her list, she said she loved their sparkly eyes on that trip.

“We got back on Christmas Eve and by Christmas Day she was in hospital. The cancer had spread everywhere.

"A couple of weeks later, we were told she only had 18 months — but she actually had about 18 days. She was gone by January 20.”

After Kate died Singe started to find the notes in his jeans, or get reminders on his phone. He says: “The list’s helped us.

A FEW OF KATE'S WISHES

- Teach the boys to respect women and not to double date!
- Go and see the Northern Lights
- Go around the Natural History Museum on rollerskates
- Never leave it more than a week before making up with someone
- Find a fairy mushroom, the red one with white bits on
- Grow a sunflower every now and again

We’ve had so much to focus on, from the smallest thing like saying ‘acres and acres’ to big things like scuba diving in the Red Sea and getting a speedboat.

“Acres and acres’ came from when we were kids. I wasn’t ideal boyfriend material. I wore a leather jacket and rode a motorbike.

“Kate came up with the code words which meant even more than ‘I love you’ so we didn’t get in trouble when talking on the phone.”

Reef and Finn, who are named after their parents’ love of diving, have had dozens of adventures based on Kate’s list.
Finn says: “The best thing was when we got to go around the Natural History Museum on roller skates.

“We were on This Morning and I mentioned that it was on the list. Someone from the museum was watching and let us go around before it opened one morning.

“We also screamed when we saw our speedboat — it’s yellow and black, like a wasp.”

For Singe, one of the hardest requests to consider was to “find a woman to settle down with so the boys can have a female influence and stability” — but he has now found that special person.

He says: “You couldn’t ask for a better role model for the boys — other than their mum. She and Kate are cut from the same cloth.

“We all live together with her son, and the boys are like the three musketeers, always laughing and singing.”

Singe and his sons today

Living by the list . . . Singe and his sons today

To coincide with the film Singe also gave the boys sealed letters which Kate wrote for them on the night she died.

He says: “Kate dictated the letters and our friend typed them so I’d never read them.

“I cried within the first line. She did such a good job.”

Reef says: “The letters are really special. She told us to be strong and when things get you down, try to get back up again.

“She said we should look after each other and go on adventures.”

Singe says: “That’s what we’ve been doing and it is what Kate would have wanted. The film was another opportunity, and if you don’t grab those moments, they’re gone.

“I think Kate would be impressed with how the film turned out."

— Mum’s List opens in cinemas nationwide on Friday. Distributed by Studio Soho Films.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/2242091/touching-story-behind-cancer-victims-heartbreaking-bucket-list-which-inspired-new-movie-mums-list/
Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I heard about this movie as a quirky, offbeat comedy.
The description referred to it as a dark comedy.
Let's just say it's very heavy on the dark, with bits of comedy throughout.

Seriously, this was an incredibly depressing movie laced with cringe-inducing, uncomfortable situations.
When you think of the most uncomfortable scenes you can imagine with guys like Zach Galifianakis or Ben Stiller, and multiply it exponentially, you'll have a glimpse of what this movie is like.
At a number of points I wanted to abandon it, but the farther I went, the more I figured I needed to see where this was going.
And it was a little difficult to follow the progression of the movie, how the dog ended up in the various situations.

The ending was so shocking that it forced laughter out of me while simultaneously making me feel guilty for laughing.

So if you like bizarre stories with more than a little black - and I mean very black - humor, this is it.

EDITED FOR HUMOROUS ANECDOTE:

The movie opens with a close-up of the wiener dog filling the entire screen.
Watching on my brother's 60" 4K curved screen, the detail was amazing.
So amazing, in fact, that his Siberian Husky began trying to sniff the wiener dog's butt on the TV, following it as it moved.

It was LOL-worthy.

WeinerDog.jpg

Edited by TypeO

Saw "Why Him?" at a special screening last night with Bryan Cranston, James Franco, Megan Mullaly, Zoey Deutch, Keegan-Michael Key, and the director John Hamburg in attendance for a Q & A.

The movie is goofy, raunchy fun. I actually laughed...which is more than I can say for many of the recent supposed "comedies" I have seen. I'm looking at you Kevin Hart and Kevin James. "Why Him?" is definitely better than the trailer makes it seem. 

The leitmotif of the Q & A was that Bryan Cranston had his head in everyone's crotch at some point during the filming. And that Megan Mullaly has strong legs.

20161220_212049.jpg