I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

36 minutes ago, Walter said:

Mrs Walter took junior and some neighborhood kids to Meg last Thursday while I was watching the Cowboys game at home with some friends. They all seemed to enjoy it. 

Yeah I am going to see it for sure.  I want to see Escape Plan 2 even though no Arnold.  At least I do not see him i the previews.  Maybe it will be better than the first which was so so

I love watching prison breaks.  I watch series like "Almost Got Away with It" and "Breakout".  Love Prison Break and Wentworth Miller.  Season 6 coming.  Cant wait

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

On 8/11/2018 at 11:56 AM, Strider said:

Equalizer 2 is pretty decent, although I still prefer the TV show version.

You gotta see the new Mission Impossible movie...Fallout! It's a really good summer popcorn action movie!

And "Sicario - Day of the Soldado" is excellent. Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro kick ass.

I love Benicio, just a great actor. One of my favorite performances by him was in Fear & Loathing in LV. The interplay between him & Johnny Depp was fantastic. But IMO his Dr. Gonzo stole the movie.

On 8/15/2018 at 7:06 AM, Anjin-san said:

1979 Released today:

__a6a3e918c96ed26e26c2c2c34e2a029f_width-600.jpeg

Sweet poster, but a recent one. Lawrence or as he was known then and listed as such in the movie credits was Larry Fishburn. He was never listed in any original promotion or poster for the movie as he was completely unknown...that was his first movie and he was just 15 years old when the movie was filmed.

Awesome movie though, one of my favorites. I have both the original version & Redux on DVD. I can understand why they did not use the portion from the French plantation as it was just too meandering, as was the scene with the Playboy Bunnies. Of course I always get a chuckle when the Chief asks Willard if there are any "mommas" and when Williard says "what?" Chief says never mind and walks away. Pretty stupid of Chief if you ask me. Willard clearly did not understand the slang so if there were some soul sisters his dumb ass would have missed out, simply because he was too proud to clarify his inquiry. I know, minor silly point but it always cracked me up.

Best Spike Lee movie in years! Great cast. Adam Driver just keeps killing it! Who knew Steve Buscemi had a brother? For most of the movie, I'm thinking 'Is that Steve Buscemi? Damn, he looks old!" Then the credits roll and I see it is Michael Buscemi. The real surprise was that Eric Forman kid from "That '70s Show"...Topher Grace nails David Duke. Really inspired casting. I'll be seeing it again this weekend with some friends.

blackkklansman_ver2.thumb.jpg.6efed1cbb8f50321130c9610033e6381.jpg

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Best Spike Lee movie in years! Great cast. Adam Driver just keeps killing it! Who knew Steve Buscemi had a brother? For most of the movie, I'm thinking 'Is that Steve Buscemi? Damn, he looks old!" Then the credits roll and I see it is Michael Buscemi. The real surprise was that Eric Forman kid from "That '70s Show"...Topher Grace nails David Duke. Really inspired casting. I'll be seeing it again this weekend with some friends.

blackkklansman_ver2.thumb.jpg.6efed1cbb8f50321130c9610033e6381.jpg

So I gather this is not based on the Dave Chappelle skit?

50 minutes ago, IpMan said:

So I gather this is not based on the Dave Chappelle skit?

No. As it says in the credits it is based on Ron Stallworth's memoir "Black Klansman". Stallworth was the first black man on the Colorado Springs PD.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Klansman-Memoir-Ron-Stallworth/dp/1250299047

12 hours ago, Strider said:

No. As it says in the credits it is based on Ron Stallworth's memoir "Black Klansman". Stallworth was the first black man on the Colorado Springs PD.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Klansman-Memoir-Ron-Stallworth/dp/1250299047

Ha, I was just joking. 

As soon as you said Colorado Springs that was all I needed to know. That town makes Tokyo look culturally diverse by comparison. Not to mention all the shenanigans going on at the Air Force Academy. Such a beautiful place, been there once and through it a few times but you could not pay me to visit there ever again.

Can't wait to see this movie.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Ha, I was just joking. 

As soon as you said Colorado Springs that was all I needed to know. That town makes Tokyo look culturally diverse by comparison. Not to mention all the shenanigans going on at the Air Force Academy. Such a beautiful place, been there once and through it a few times but you could not pay me to visit there ever again.

Can't wait to see this movie.

Yeah, you are usually on the ball and informed so my bad on not catching your sarcasm.

Hahaha. Colorado Springs. Say no more. I've been there myself and while its natural beauty was nice I was glad to put the city in my rear-view mirror.

You'll enjoy the movie. While it deals with serious themes and horrific parts of history, Spike tells the story with verve and humour. There are some flat-out hysterical moments in the film. Don't be late...Alec Baldwin does a hilarious cold open much in the way like his "Put THAT coffee down" open in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

16 hours ago, Strider said:

Alec Baldwin does a hilarious cold open much in the way like his "Put THAT coffee down" open in "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Another great movie. You would think getting that many top flight actors together it would turn into a shit show as such ensemble casts typically do. Not this movie, everyone is spot on. In particular, Jack Lemmon gives one of, if not the greatest performance of his career. That and Day's of Wine & Roses are my two favorite Lemmon performances. Honorable mention to China Syndrome of course.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Strider said:

Oscar Isaac and Mélanie Laurent (so great in "Inglourious Basterds) on the hunt for Adolf Eichmann (played brilliantly by Ben Kingsley, who has a knack for these type of characters). Great stuff...can't wait to see it again.

operation_finale.thumb.jpg.fcdb7286faf7d44798c0e92f91552388.jpg

Looking forward to this as well.

However, to be nitpicky for the hell of it, Eichmann was not one of Hitler's lieutenants, he was one of Reinhard Heydrich's lieutenant's. Heydrich was one of Hitler's underlings and Eichmann reported to him. Eichmann was a logistical genius and were not for him the Final Solution would not have been so brutally efficient. May he rest in pieces. In my opinion he got off too easy.

However, to be nitpicky for the hell of it, Eichmann was not one of Hitler's lieutenants, he was one of Reinhard Heydrich's lieutenant's. Heydrich was one of Hitler's underlings and Eichmann reported to him. Eichmann was a logistical genius and were not for him the Final Solution would not have been so brutally efficient. May he rest in pieces. In my opinion he got off too easy.

How they planned it. Great movie.

61obU050L3L._SY445_.jpg

Haven't seen this one.

androp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What a depressing movie. If this is what being a kid is like today, you can have it. Makes the 1995 "Kids" seem like a feel-good hit of summer.

large_eighth-grt.jpg.bcb03022d75d2a5534924a14df823d46.jpg

Another remake...Shane Black's take on "Predator" is not as good as the original. Come on, with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Car Weathers, and Jesse "The Body" Ventura, no way will the original ever be topped. But it's not as bad as some of the recent "Incredible Hulk", "Planet of the Apes", and "Superman" remakes and reboots. But Shane Black needlessly over-complicated the plot.

476771f09af70afb97da8ef5df6bfc61.thumb.jpg.be1ddddf03b86a1fc9fc8fe8577d3a8f.jpg

Panos Cosmatos, the man who brought you "Beyond the Black Rainbow" is back. This is probably my favourite movie of the year so far...at least Top 3. Nic Cage in full gonzo mode and Linus Roache matching him. Amazing cinematography and lighting and a crushing score by the late, great Jóhann Jóhannsson. If Black Sabbath made a movie it would be "Mandy". THIS is the movie to see right now!

pp092018-mandy01.jpg.1a5c082c8b73d041732baae578b1cf0d.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 9/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, redrum said:

If you enjoy just cinematography then give this a look. I haven't finished watching it yet.

An absolute stunning film. I see it every chance I get at the theatre. One of the few Russian films I like from that period. The majority of the Leninist and Stalinist era cinema is crap. The Cinematic Orchestra recorded a modern score to this film a decade or so ago. Worth seeking out.

Just saw this tonight. The Cinematheque has been running an Antonioni retrospective and tonight was the penultimate night. "Zabriskie Point" has some good points and some low points but this is definitely the high point. A woman who was a friend of Antonioni introduced the film and related this tidbit that Antonioni went out and bought some marijuana for Pink Floyd when he realized the band composed better when they were high.

This is not CGI kids...those are real explosions and real objects floating in slow-motion.

Edited by Strider

10 hours ago, Strider said:

An absolute stunning film. I see it every chance I get at the theatre. One of the few Russian films I like from that period. The majority of the Leninist and Stalinist era cinema is crap. The Cinematic Orchestra recorded a modern score to this film a decade or so ago. Worth seeking out.

I saw a snippet of it on the arts channel. I love the animated tripod. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 2:56 AM, Strider said:

Just saw this tonight. The Cinematheque has been running an Antonioni retrospective and tonight was the penultimate night. "Zabriskie Point" has some good points and some low points but this is definitely the high point. A woman who was a friend of Antonioni introduced the film and related this tidbit that Antonioni went out and bought some marijuana for Pink Floyd when he realized the band composed better when they were high.

This is not CGI kids...those are real explosions and real objects floating in slow-motion.

He picked the right band for that scene. Amazing. I saw it when it first came out and then saw it about a year ago. A flying box of Special K.:flying: