I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

9 minutes ago, redrum said:

He picked the right band for that scene. Amazing. I saw it when it first came out and then saw it about a year ago. A flying box of Special K.:flying: 

The floating loaf of Wonder Bread is a particular moment of wonder for me.

7 minutes ago, redrum said:

Something like this?

Ha. That is actually entertaining compared to the usual "workers struggle" movies they put out in Russia and Easy Germany. A lot of tractors and wheat.

Another great Craig Zahler ("Brawl in Cell Block 99", "Bone Tomahawk") movie...although it could have used a trim here and there. At 2 hours and 38 minutes it's a trifle long. Went to the premiere last Tuesday with a Zahler, Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn, and other cast and crew Q & A.

58fb56b977ae23a9b73449093b61d2db.jpg.a3bd723f33ee65797ad6a0933e981e3e.jpg

43509434_10156895996901907_8161972269531267072_o.thumb.jpg.256a0863bdd9917498743a4d5d72b63a.jpg

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Another great Craig Zahler ("Brawl in Cell Block 99", "Bone Tomahawk") movie...although it could have used a trim here and there. At 2 hours and 38 minutes it's a trifle long. Went to the premiere last Tuesday with a Zahler, Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn, and other cast and crew Q & A.

58fb56b977ae23a9b73449093b61d2db.jpg.a3bd723f33ee65797ad6a0933e981e3e.jpg

43509434_10156895996901907_8161972269531267072_o.thumb.jpg.256a0863bdd9917498743a4d5d72b63a.jpg

and...

what about it? anything else, beside the fact that you went the premiere?

What about the movie?

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:36 AM, redrum said:

If you enjoy just cinematography then give this a look. I haven't finished watching it yet.

We watched it a couple weeks ago. It was phenomenal cinematography especially for it's time.

Your honesty in your reviews is always appreciated. You're my fav on this thread.

The Conspiracy movie on how they planned it wasn't bad either. I wish it had been longer. Thank you very many.

6 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

and...

what about it? anything else, beside the fact that you went the premiere?

What about the movie?

I don't like divulging too much about a movie to people who haven't seen it. On top of that, I didn't have enough time to write more than a sentence or two. It's the weekend and people generally are looking for something to see and I felt like adding a suggestion. People who follow this thread are conversant enough with my tastes to know whether to trust my recommendations or not.

Additionally, S. Craig Zahler has made enough films by now to establish himself to those avid about movies and reading about them. Just as you can say Tarantino, Tarkovsky, or Antonioni, and most film buffs will know what they are in for with one of their movies, the same can be said for Zahler.

Which is why the theatre was packed with people chomping at the bit. We had all seen "Bone Tomahawk", "Brawl in Cell Block 99" , and "Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich" and were ready for more.

So, in shorthand, what Zahler films harken to are those gritty "guy" movies of old..."French Connection", "True Grit", "Across 110th St.", " Rolling Thunder", "Dirty Harry". But with one added touch...gore. His movies usually feature at least one gory, gruesome death...often with graphic disemboweling.

Basic plot of "Dragged Across Concrete": Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn play cops who are tired of the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with the job. They are overworked and underpaid. Mel wants to move his family out of the crappy neighborhood they live in but on his salary, that's not likely. He then thinks he has found a way out and convinces Vince Vaughn to help him with his plan. To put it mildly, things don't go as planned.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:36 AM, redrum said:

If you enjoy just cinematography then give this a look. I haven't finished watching it yet.

I am curious, redrum, did you finish watching the film? You might enjoy this 1964 film by Mikhail Kalatozov (best known for "The Cranes Are Flying")..."I  Am Cuba". 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I am curious, redrum, did you finish watching the film? You might enjoy this 1964 film by Mikhail Kalatozov (best known for "The Cranes Are Flying")..."I  Am Cuba". 

I still have some to watch. The beautiful little kids watching the magic show and that was a hell of a bottle opener they used. The coal mining and rushing water is amazing. They work hard and play hard. So much to see. I'll check this one out too. Thanks.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, apantherfrommd said:

We watched it a couple weeks ago. It was phenomenal cinematography especially for it's time.

Your honesty in your reviews is always appreciated. You're my fav on this thread.

The Conspiracy movie on how they planned it wasn't bad either. I wish it had been longer. Thank you very many.

You are welcome. We just watched 'GOTTI' with John Travolta. "Lemme aks you a qwistion!" 😄

On 9/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, Strider said:

Nic Cage in full gonzo mode and Linus Roache matching him. Amazing cinematography and lighting and a crushing score by the late, great Jóhann Jóhannsson. If Black Sabbath made a movie it would be "Mandy". THIS is the movie to see right now!

"Nic Cage" and "the movie to see right now" sounds very strange in the same sentence, but I'll have to check this out.

13 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

"Nic Cage" and "the movie to see right now" sounds very strange in the same sentence, but I'll have to check this out.

Agreed. Nic Cage has done a lot of straight to video crap over the years. I had pretty much given up on him. I guess some core of talent remained...it just required the right director and script to bring it out.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, Strider said:

I don't like divulging too much about a movie to people who haven't seen it. On top of that, I didn't have enough time to write more than a sentence or two. It's the weekend and people generally are looking for something to see and I felt like adding a suggestion. People who follow this thread are conversant enough with my tastes to know whether to trust my recommendations or not.

Basic plot of "Dragged Across Concrete": Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn play cops who are tired of the bureaucratic bullshit that comes with the job. They are overworked and underpaid. Mel wants to move his family out of the crappy neighborhood they live in but on his salary, that's not likely. He then thinks he has found a way out and convinces Vince Vaughn to help him with his plan. To put it mildly, things don't go as planned.

Fair enough. I do appreciate this review, and the fact that you don't give much away. :goodpost: Thank you, Strider.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Travolta has turned into a pumpkin.

I'm sorry to see someone is oranger than the Don.

As much as I love Sci-Fi, I think Travolta went downhill starting with Battlefield Earth. He was outside of his role and unrecognizable.
I'm not knocking the story, which was subpar. It was a walk-out movie. I'm hoping that pumpkins are more popular in October, then when this came out in the theaters. I haven't seen it yet.

First movie was 1978, I think. The had 3 or 4 in the 80's, a few in the 90's a couple in the 2000's.

This series, I believe would the first horror series to have the original protagonist spanning within 5 different decades! :lol: Rock On Halloween! I hope it's good.

(3:17- Stolen from Jimmy Page)

Edited by apantherfrommd

7 minutes ago, apantherfrommd said:

I'm sorry to see someone is oranger than the Don.

As much as I love Sci-Fi, I think Travolta went downhill starting with Battlefield Earth. He was outside of his role and unrecognizable.
I'm not knocking the story, which was subpar. It was a walk-out movie. I'm hoping that pumpkins are more popular in October, then when this came out in the theaters. I haven't seen it yet.

First movie was 1978, I think. The had 3 or 4 in the 80's, a few in the 90's a couple in the 2000's.

This series, I believe would the first horror series to have the original protagonist spanning within 5 different decades! :lol: Rock On Halloween! I hope it's good.

I have heard some good word-of-mouth on the new "Halloween". I had a pass to see it at the premiere but it conflicted with another concert I had to attend, so I haven't seen it yet.

This apparently is meant to be a straight sequel to the original "Halloween" from 1978...40 years later. I guess you are supposed to forget all the other Halloween movies made in between and pretend they never existed.

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

I caught a screening of John Carpenter's,  The Fog last night. Restored in 4k, (whatever that means) . Prior to the movie they showed several shorts along with John Carpenter's Puppet Man short film. That was an unexpected added treat. 

While I'm not the biggest Carpenter fan, I love his film scores. Hearing his music on a theater sound system was very cool.

Screenshot_20181027-202833_Alamo.jpg

MV5BNzA3NzI2Mjk5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTU3NDY3NzE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I suppose it's a film, but we watched the new Adam Sandler stand-up show and it was frikkin' hilarious. He did a great tribute to Chris Farley too and Sandler is not a bad guitar player either. Some parts to look for:

Smelly Uber Driver

Big Nut Sacks

Station 69

😄

Just finished watching "Bohemian Rhapsody".  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was NOT impressed.  They even had Queen performing "Fat Bottom Girls" in 1973!!!  With the angst Freddie was going through in the 80's, I expected some emotion from the actor...but alas, none materialized.  Queen is my second favorite band, just behind Hanson....JUST KIDDING....and I found this an unemotional rockumentary.

Yes, folks! This is the BIG one! Been waiting for this for a couple of years, at least! It's releasing on the 16th (where I live). Barely two weeks to go. 

Been a Queen fan, practically all my life, for 28 years now to be precise (since I was barely 3 years old!)

In life, there are moments that stick with you forever. One of those moments, was watching a VHS copy of Queen Greatest Flix! Still have it after all these years. 

Don't care what the critics say. Don't care about the historical inaccuracies! Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm as it's Queen (my second favourite band of all time, only after the mighty Rush)!!!