I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

10 minutes ago, redrum said:

My friend Brian's Grandmother was on the set of the filming of 'Spencer's Mountain' back in 1962. Not sure, but he believes she was an extra on the set. That's her on the right with James Macarthur. I have others I will post later with Henry Fonda, Maureen O'Hara, Wally Cox and Donald Crisp.

SPENCER-2.jpg

Sweet. Book 'em Danno!

Edited by Strider

Thank you so much for sharing, Red.

No problem. A couple more.

Donald Crisp (How Green Was My Valley) He played Henry Fonda's father and is killed by a falling tree.

Dub Taylor (Bonnie & Clyde, The Getaway)

Michael Greene-A great character actor in films and TV.

Virginia Gregg (on the right) Another great character actress in films and TV.

SPENCER-13.jpg

SPENCER-5.jpg

SPENCER-9.jpg

SPENCER-12.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 12:57 AM, Strider said:

After being closed for over a year for renovations, Quentin Tarantino finally reopened the New Beverly this month. Just in time for Christmas. Three of the double-bills I have seen.

20181201_200054.thumb.jpg.f7cdb7f9efe57984fd93ef2c191b6d78.jpg

47681212_10155450917070904_1165715413317713920_o.thumb.jpg.423d4e644f6be325464635699f96fb75.jpg

20181219_191216.thumb.jpg.7f7f40f08c4d387a2d8d5e0053785901.jpg

You're so lucky to have that.

Just watched 'To Sir With Love.' Hadn't seen it in years. The only cuss word in the movie (bitch) was drowned out by noise. 😲

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". What a load of bollocks. This is why I don't want there to be a Led Zeppelin biopic. It would be utter cheesy crap just like "Bohemian Rhapsody", with made-up characters and scenes and Karac dying just before the band plays "Live Aid". 

Rami has moments where he is good (or as good as the fraudulent script allows him to be), but there are times where he seems to channeling Mick Jagger more than Freddie Mercury. The Live Aid recreation is probably the best part of the movie, even with the bad crowd cgi and the bullshit scenes of Bob Geldof worrying about money and the people weeping in the pub.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:35 PM, Strider said:

Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". What a load of bollocks. This is why I don't want there to be a Led Zeppelin biopic. It would be utter cheesy crap just like "Bohemian Rhapsody", with made-up characters and scenes and Karac dying just before the band plays "Live Aid". 

Rami has moments where he is good (or as good as the fraudulent script allows him to be), but there are times where he seems to channeling Mick Jagger more than Freddie Mercury. The Live Aid recreation is probably the best part of the movie, even with the bad crowd cgi and the bullshit scenes of Bob Geldof worrying about money and the people weeping in the pub.

On 1/29/2019 at 2:41 PM, Stryder1978 said:

THANK YOU!  I thought I was the only one on here disappointed in the movie.  You'd think with Brian May and Roger Taylor on board for musical consultation, they'd at least get the song chronology right!  

The nomination of that movie for Best Picture is going to go down as one of the big "WTF?" picks in Oscar history.

7 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

The nomination of that movie for Best Picture is going to go down as one of the big "WTF?" picks in Oscar history.

6 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

It would also be a shame if the re-make of the re-make got the nod.

The fact that "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born" got nominated for Best Picture and "First Man" didn't is pretty lame. My friends and I are already planning on booing loudly every mention of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born" at the Oscar party.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The fact that "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born" got nominated for Best Picture and "First Man" didn't is pretty lame. My friends and I are already planning on booing loudly every mention of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Star is Born" at the Oscar party.

I share the disappointment of many that "Bohemian Rhapsody" got a nomination - it doesn't deserve one, period. Outside of the Live Aid scene, it was pretty meh. (I'll admit that the scene with Mike Myers was pretty funny as well.) "First Man" didn't get enough acclaim this year for whatever reason. A straight-up trade of "First Man" for "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the nominees list would be perfect.

I have to disagree on "A Star Is Born", though. That film was excellent. You may not think it deserves to win Best Film, but it was always going to be nominated. I don't know what film will end up winning - a wide-open year, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

In a weak year of Oscar nominees, "Roma" stands out far and above the pack. "Children of Men", "Gravity", "Roma"...Alfonso Cuaron is on quite a roll. Unexpected use of Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky". I know it is free on Netflix but if you get a chance to see the 70mm print in a theatre in your town, do so, as the cinematography is worth it. Breathtaking images and sweeping vistas.

6b004b8b326ea512d81b433d8b0dcd82bb3fc44c.jpg.a1c5e5fed444aa0db497f646be972f12.jpg

For the Fallen by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943) September 21, 1914

"With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain. "

they-shall-not-grow-old-movie-poster.thumb.jpg.1c151fcf3f7ab83e20280e8fbbf8813d.jpg

Saw this in the theatre tonight. Totally unprepared for its impact. Colorizing film often leads to cheesy results but not in this case. Peter Jackson has done us all a service resurrecting this footage from World War I...aka The Great War. Shocked it lost Best Documentary at the BAFTAs last night.