I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Just when you think you've seen it all NASA uncorks some incredible unseen 70mm footage.

It was 50 years ago this July. Absolutely worth spending the money to see in IMAX. My eyes were wide and jaw dropped during the screening at the Chinese IMAX Theatre. You have until March 7 to see it in IMAX before it opens in regular format on March 8.

news-021419a.jpg.51fb8c66e9432111300b0e1a0554702c.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 2/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, Stryder1978 said:

I finally watched "Roma" this weekend. Actually, I watched it twice since I fell asleep to it the first time.  My first thought when it was over  - "What the hell did I just watch?"  What a boring, pointless waste of celluloid!  I knew I was in trouble when the first 5 minutes of the movie consisted of close-up shots of water splashing on floor tiles and distance shots of little birds fluttering around in three cages.  No beginning, no story line and no ending.....was this co-wriitten by Jussie Smollett?  The acting was stiff and wooden, the cinematography consisted on endless panning and the highlight for me was seeing a horned toad (unless you're into gratuitous shots of some dude's junk. I kept looking for in depth meaning behind it all - the marching band continuously coming up the street, the martial arts segment. the land dispute plot...NOTHING!!  The only analogy I got from the mess of a film was the constant dog crap in the courtyard...which accurately summed up this over-hyped cinematic piece of dog doo!     

You've never watched an Ingmar Bergman or Kurosawa film before, have you?

Whether one considers it good or bad is one thing, but I really don't get the Oscar nod. Films like this were a dime a dozen in the 90s indie phase. Also in the 50s and 70s art movement eras, many of which were much more entertaining. They had no chance of winning anything then, now all of a sudden low budget and abstract is the thing. But I'm personally glad to see the shift to cinema that is more poignant and meaningful.

The plot isn't what's important in this film. It's the objective view of the moment in time in this character's life. It's a social commentary on being servant class in a society that is in political upheaval. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, Strider said:

Just when you think you've seen it all NASA uncorks some incredible unseen 70mm footage.

It was 50 years ago this July. Absolutely worth spending the money to see in IMAX. My eyes were wide and jaw dropped during the screening at the Chinese IMAX Theatre. You have until March 7 to see it in IMAX before it opens in regular format on March 8.

Can't imagine the cost of making a 70mm film these days.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, Strider said:

FAKE NEWS!!! Everyone knows the moon landings were faked. It was old Kubrick in a basement and camera tricks, everyone knows that :hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw The Dirt.

Impressive. I'm not really a Motley Crue fan at all, but thoroughly enjoyed the biop. That's the way to do it I reckon when most of the story is not about the music as their music was fairly shallow (except 3 or 4 decent tracks). It was a frank account of a specific scene and time which was well depicted. Characters were interesting and the significant problems the guys went through were all tackled. Good on them all for helping produce it. I reckon it worked really well. Entertaining.

A Zep movie would be much more difficult to do, but could be done. The focus would need to be the incredible music they were able to produce with the back story being the craziness/antics - and it would need to end before 1980 to leave the audience positive and reflecting on the music imho.

big_combo.thumb.jpg.53ff46d76e2354a0574aa2a4055abf45.jpg

Humphrey Bogart's final film before he died. Bogart and Rod Steiger are explosive together.

harder_they_fall_ver2.jpg.58d421e198da95701d3ced16fb9888a2.jpg

Great score by Henry Mancini.

touch_of_evil.thumb.jpg.e846271f56344432a4e039b57463c963.jpg

Iconic improvised jazz score by Miles Davis. The movie that put Louis Malle and Jeanne Moreau on the map.

fa2d42d1c9ff97a245227267c9989877.jpg.bafafbffe3a27b53cac62e40c416fc0c.jpg

Another great jazz score by Johnny Mandel, Gerry Mulligan, Art Farmer, Bud Shank, and company. Susan Hayward is her usual "WOW!"

224009932_MV5BMTY2MzMwNzgzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk2MTI0NA@@._V1_SY1000_CR006661000_AL_.thumb.jpg.68e5e10a7502cc237c360b9fed1e6fe7.jpg

• 1 month later...