I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

OK, I must preface this with the following...

Whenever I see a preview/trailer for what looks to be a good movie, I'm all "Oh, I have GOT to see that when it comes out!"

Well, the truth is, unless it's a truly epic release (Avatar. etc.), what that usually ends up meaning is "I have GOT to see that when it comes out on PPV / OnDemand!"

Bottom line, I rarely get to the theater, it's just so expensive for a family of 5.

Anyway, The Hangover was one such "I've GOT to see that" movie.

So I finally got to see it about a month ago, and now it's on regular HBO and HBO OnDemand so I can watch it whenever I want.

Seriously, that's one of the funniest movies I have EVER seen.

And I keep watching it over and over, because there are so many nuances (the characters' reactions to each other, etc.) that you really can't completely pick up on just a single viewing.

Am I alone on this, or do some of you enjoy watching movies multiple times?

It's similar to a good book that I can re-read.

But back to The Hangover.

It is such an epic movie I think because that's how a lot of guys envision partying.

Not specifically step-for-step like the movie, but just the idea of there being all kind of insanely random and unusual results of partying so hard and wild.

And despite being so outrageous, it still has an odd sense of believability.

Seriously, how can you look at this picture and not laugh imagining what could possibly lead up to it?

the-hangover-724705376.jpg

Easily one of the very funniest movies I've ever seen.

Anyone else?

Yes, there are a few. Those are the ones I end up buying on DVD. One movie that is worth multiple viewings is The Accountant. It won an Oscar for best live action short film back in the early 00s (and also served as the inspiration for the Drive-By Truckers song "Sinkhole"). At roughly 40 minutes, you'd be amazed at how much plot (and subplot) can be packed into so short a time. It stars Ray McKinnon (who played the "bonafide" one in O Brother, Where Art Thou? and was also in the HBO series Deadwood) and is described as a movie about "saving the family farm by any means necessary".

Easily one of the very funniest movies I've ever seen.

Anyone else?

I haven't rented The Hangover yet but it is currently on my shortlilst of films I'd like to see.

I'm the same way. Hell, you listen to songs over and over so why not films? I checked out 'Gloria' from my library and watched it 3 times in the week I had it.

Others I've watched a lot of times...

On The Waterfront

Family Enforcer (Joe Pesci)

Christ Stopped At Eboli

The Bicycle Thief

Shane

I Remember Mama

Just to name a few.

B)

51u0B2QnngL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A mindless comedy of the highest order which is exactly why I rented it (the $1 rental fee at Redbox didn't hurt either). Despite it's mindlessness, it also had at least one good message about the time period I grew up in when we didn't stay inside glued to video games, the internet, cable TV, etc.

51bRbcLczCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So whadidja think?

Frankly, I think Zach Galifianakis has overtaken Ben Stiller as Master of the Awkward Moment.

Although to be fair, Ben is more of the Awkward Moment Endurer while Zach is the Awkward Moment Initiator.

So whadidja think?

Frankly, I think Zach Galifianakis has overtaken Ben Stiller as Master of the Awkward Moment.

Although to be fair, Ben is more of the Awkward Moment Endurer while Zach is the Awkward Moment Initiator.

It definitely lived up to the promise of your review, I very thoroughly enjoyed it. Just read where they have Bill Clinton signed up for a cameo for the sequel. Guess there's not a lot else he can do to further tarnish his image.

Watched this one last night, another flick that lived up to all of the praise. Then again, it's usually very hard to go wrong with anything Clint-related.

9821810ae7a03defbbeb2210.L._AA300_.jpg

51y7A9lY8BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't realize there was a British and U.S. version of this until I went to rent it yesterday. I opted for the original, British version per the rental clerk's recommendation. Just for comparison's sake I'll have to check out the U.S. version eventually.

41N8Y22RN5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've heard about this movie for years but didn't get around to viewing it until last night. When I checked out I asked if the original version was also on the disc and didn't get a straight answer (it's not) so I was stuck watching the director's cut. After watching it I did a little research online and found that most reviewers like both versions but all of them said the original was more concise. Once I was done watching it I looked up the plot online so I could understand what I'd just seen. On the one hand, I don't like movies that lay everything out for you. On the other, this movie left me scratching my head. From what I've read, that was the director's intent but one shouldn't have to go to such great lengths just to figure out a movie.

On the other, this movie left me scratching my head. From what I've read, that was the director's intent but one shouldn't have to go to such great lengths just to figure out a movie.

Sounds like 'The Trial' I just watched with Anthony Perkins, Orson Welles and foxy Romy Schneider (she died at age 43).

When you figure it out, let me know. :lol:

To me it was like a bad dream with no escape.

Sounds like 'The Trial' I just watched with Anthony Perkins, Orson Welles and foxy Romy Schneider (she died at age 43).

When you figure it out, let me know. :lol:

To me it was like a bad dream with no escape.

Never have seen that one and the name doesn't ring a bell, at least not right off the top of my head anyway. After all of the accolades I've heard about Donnie Darko over the years I wonder how many times my friends had to watch it to finally figure it out. Again, I have nothing against movies you may have to watch more than once to absorb it all but Donnie Darko left me completely clueless. Now that I know the plot I really have no desire to sit through it again.

Never have seen that one and the name doesn't ring a bell, at least not right off the top of my head anyway. After all of the accolades I've heard about Donnie Darko over the years I wonder how many times my friends had to watch it to finally figure it out. Again, I have nothing against movies you may have to watch more than once to absorb it all but Donnie Darko left me completely clueless. Now that I know the plot I really have no desire to sit through it again.

I think the best part of 'The Trial' was the black & white photography (and Romy Schneider)

:)

Currently watching 'Lonesome Dove' again.

B)

I always get choked up watching Lonesome Dove.

Awesome movie.

The part where Gus wrote a letter for Lorena, but she couldn't read - she didn't want Clara to read it to her, she just wanted to have the letter, even not knowing what it actually said.