I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

517h-gHG0WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't really know what to expect from this movie other than I know of a few friends that loved it when it was first released and that it has been very critically acclaimed. You can't always go by the latter but considering just how much I enjoyed Gran Torino, I went for it. I wasn't prepared at all for the ending which I why I try not to read too much about movies prior to seeing them. This is definitely one of Clint's finest works. The guy comes by his ability to direct movies very honestly and Million Dollar Baby is a very fine example.

I finally saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on New Year's Eve. It was good.

I LOVE Up. I own it, and I think it's a great movie.

I've watched I.Q. this week too--I think it was very interesting. Loved it.

Edited by manderlyh

Watched Inception last night. What a complex story. Don't want to be drinking or get up to to to the restroom while watching. Requires total concentration to keep track of what is going on. Good movie, and the end leaves a question in you mind. Probably the possibily of a sequel in the future.

I watched this very underrated animated film last night, starring George Clooney and Meryl Streep! Pretty good stuff! B)

Fantastic_mr_fox.jpg

Yeah, that one kinda tripped me out the first time I watched it.

But it is actually pretty good.

Has anyone seen "The King's Speech" yet? I have heard wonderful things about it, and that Colin Firth has serious Oscar buzz for his role. :)

It's fantastic, Virginia. I have been to see it twice in the past week. I think an Oscar is definitely coming Colin Firth's way.

Geoffrey Rush is also brilliant.

It's fantastic, Virginia. I have been to see it twice in the past week. I think an Oscar is definitely coming Colin Firth's way.

Geoffrey Rush is also brilliant.

I really want to see The King's Speech too. Colin Firth just gets better and better with every film he makes.

I will definitely put it on my must see list; thanks Fortuna :) And Magic, I agree, it's great to see him getting away from the Rom-Coms (not that there's anything wrong with them!) and receiving some serious dramatic acclaim :)

51Z7NKLVggL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lost In Translation will probably remain my favorite Wes Anderson film but I enjoyed this one more than I expected to. Even if the story itself doesn't initially draw you in, as usual, the beautiful cinematography will. It's so visually stunning I let the film roll until the very end.

51U2mS8cmwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had no idea going in that it was some kind of kid's movie. I was going by the recommendation of a friend. What I didn't take into account is that he's a grown man that still buys comic books (not that there's anything the matter with that). Just to be sure I'd read a few customer reviews at Amazon first but the age of the reviewers aren't listed. I have no way of knowing but I'm guessing most of the reviews were written by teens. I stuck with it until the end and it wasn't bad, I just feel like it's something I would have enjoyed much more when I was younger.

51U1qJ70-ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Though very gruesome and violent, I enjoyed this movie very much but I was very disappointed by how the ending leaves the viewer hanging. I immediately watched the bonus features searching for clues and finally came to understand why it needed to end that way. Unlike Donnie Darko (which also had a puzzling ending) I would like to see this one again to try to piece things together a little more thoroughly.

51XHwOA-UIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I rented this one mainly because it was directed by Michel Gondry, the same person behind one of my very favorite films, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but this wasn't nearly as good. I got the part about dreams and reality mixing but beyond that there didn't really seem to be any sort of discernable plot. Maybe that was a point he meant to get across as well but halfway through the movie I just wanted it to be over.

51ajBMqwq6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Out of all the movies I've rented recently this one is by far my favorite. It reminded me a bit of Little Miss Sunshine as far as it's indie film on a mainstream level feel. I also loved the soundtrack, which oddly enough, I heard long before I ever actually saw the movie.

517qAiV%2BnYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I fell asleep within the first five minutes. While perhaps it's a bit ironic that I nodded off so quickly, when I awoke I was still able to follow the film. Still, it's probably one of those films that'll be worth watching again someday, I'm just in no hurry to do so right away.

51w1HILA9OL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Despite all the favorable reviews I'd read beforehand, my opinion would be nearly the exact opposite. Pretty fucking terrible from start to finish.

It had it's funny parts, but the Tom Cruise character Les Grossman was absolutely awesome.

Pretty much every scene with him was hilarious.

At least to me.

It had it's funny parts, but the Tom Cruise character Les Grossman was absolutely awesome.

Pretty much every scene with him was hilarious.

At least to me.

Yeah, I had no idea it was him until the end. That was one of the few redeeming qualities of the movie which I otherwise found a waste of time.