I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

51U1qJ70-ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Though very gruesome and violent, I enjoyed this movie very much but I was very disappointed by how the ending leaves the viewer hanging. I immediately watched the bonus features searching for clues and finally came to understand why it needed to end that way. Unlike Donnie Darko (which also had a puzzling ending) I would like to see this one again to try to piece things together a little more thoroughly.

Awesome movie.

Incredibly intense.

It took me a time or 2 seeing it before I realized there is no soundtrack music.

I think this is what makes it so intense.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Last night I ordered Dinner For Schmucks on OnDemand.

It was pretty funny, but not as funny as I anticipated from the previews.

The first 80% of the movie was almost uncomfortable with all the disasters, but the last 20 or 30 minutes redeemed it somewhat when Steve Carell and Zach Galafianakis got going.

Probably watch it again since it's a 2-day rental.

dinner_for_schmucks_12908406408770.jpg

true_grit_poster7.jpg

Loved this one very much. I haven't seen a lot of the Coen brothers movies over the years but the ones I have seen, I've enjoyed very much. This one is no exception. Going to follow it up tonight with a look back at the first version starring John Wayne and Glen Campbell just for comparison's sake. It's been eons since I've last seen it.

61l2RSq3kbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What a fun filled laugh-fest this was. Though it's obviously a very dire movie with very few moments of uplift it was worth watching because it really makes you think about how you would survive (or if you'd even want to) in a post-apocalyptic world.

518-xnDfXuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Been a while since I've seen this so after just having seen the new version I thought it would make for a nice compare and contrast. There's a few differences plot-wise but nothing really huge. As much as it pains me to say it since I'm a huge John Wayne fan, I think Jeff Bridges really sank much more into the role than Wayne. That said, the first one will always remain a classic. Hard to believe it's rated "G". Now I need to read the book for a full on comparison.

61l2RSq3kbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What a fun filled laugh-fest this was. Though it's obviously a very dire movie with very few moments of uplift it was worth watching because it really makes you think about how you would survive (or if you'd even want to) in a post-apocalyptic world.

This was a really creepy movie, but overall, pretty good.

I like how it obeys the premise even if that means less "action".

A very sobering and probably fairly accurate view of the aftermath of a cataclysmic event.

Disturbing.

Recently watched:

'MILK' (As a kid I lived 2 blocks from Castro St.)

'SOPHIE'S CHOICE' (The scene where she was in Auschwitz was hard to watch when commandant Hoess gave her the option to choose the boy or the girl)

'SHERLOCK HOLMES' (Sorry, but this was a sleeper-fest and all the fancy slo-mo and computer generated images couldn't save the deadpan dialogue or the movie. Please God, no sequel.)

'CAPOTE' (I didn't think I would ever watch this because I figured I wouldn't be able to bear his nasal whine. But Hoffman's voice was actually not as grating as Capote's. I liked the movie but will never understand Capote trying to figure these 2 guys out. A bad childhood still doesn't give you the right to commit mass murder.)

Hope to see 'TRUE GRIT' this weekend.

B)

Jahfin, I've seen Nowhere Boy, and it's a great film, but, yes, very sad. I can understand why Lennon became the person he was in his adult life.

I watched this last night. Great performances from Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett.

MV5BMTI2NTcyMjE3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAyNzkzMQ_V1_SY317_CR00214317_1.jpg

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

true_grit_poster7.jpg

Loved this one very much. I haven't seen a lot of the Coen brothers movies over the years but the ones I have seen, I've enjoyed very much. This one is no exception. Going to follow it up tonight with a look back at the first version starring John Wayne and Glen Campbell just for comparison's sake. It's been eons since I've last seen it.

We watched the John Wayne version the night before we went to see the new one. I still prefer the Duke mainly because I think the film had better humor and color. I don't know what this thing is with Hollywood these days where they all seem to want to mute the color. They may as well have filmed it in black & white. But I did like it nonetheless even though they didn't show the cat or the 'rat writ' scene. I'm reading the book again and even the Coen's didn't follow it that exact.

B)

We watched the John Wayne version the night before we went to see the new one. I still prefer the Duke mainly because I think the film had better humor and color. I don't know what this thing is with Hollywood these days where they all seem to want to mute the color. They may as well have filmed it in black & white. But I did like it nonetheless even though they didn't show the cat or the 'rat writ' scene. I'm reading the book again and even the Coen's didn't follow it that exact.

B)

I'll always enjoy the first one with John Wayne but I feel like Jeff Bridges was definitely the better actor in the newer version. Agreed somewhat about the color thing. I've noticed in some older movies (and TV shows for that matter) that it's hard to tell when it's nighttime, perhaps because they didn't have the same sort of lighting abilities back then. Not sure if that's what you're talking about but it's something I've noticed.

Watched this one last night which I liked much more than I thought I was going to. I have a very low tolerance for Will Farrell's brand of over the top humor but he was much more bearable in this flick.

51sx782b-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg