Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

proposition1.jpg

One of the best westerns of recent times, great film.

^^ Also liked The Road. Very bleak stayed true to the book. Visuals were outstanding too.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

Hi Kiwi :wave:

I watched The Lovely Bones at the weekend, and I thought it was good too. That young girl who stars in it is such a good actress. I'm glad you liked it too. :)

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

Recently watched:

'MILK' (As a kid I lived 2 blocks from Castro St.)

'SOPHIE'S CHOICE' (The scene where she was in Auschwitz was hard to watch when commandant Hoess gave her the option to choose the boy or the girl)

'SHERLOCK HOLMES' (Sorry, but this was a sleeper-fest and all the fancy slo-mo and computer generated images couldn't save the deadpan dialogue or the movie. Please God, no sequel.)

'CAPOTE' (I didn't think I would ever watch this because I figured I wouldn't be able to bear his nasal whine. But Hoffman's voice was actually not as grating as Capote's. I liked the movie but will never understand Capote trying to figure these 2 guys out. A bad childhood still doesn't give you the right to commit mass murder.)

Hope to see 'TRUE GRIT' this weekend.

B)

519vCIdLgrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't want to give this away for anyone that hasn't seen it but I will say it was well worthing watching.

Just noticed that The Proposition was directed by John Hillcoat same director of The Road and both movies share the the same music done by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, cool.

Jahfin, I've seen Nowhere Boy, and it's a great film, but, yes, very sad. I can understand why Lennon became the person he was in his adult life.

I watched this last night. Great performances from Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett.

MV5BMTI2NTcyMjE3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDAyNzkzMQ_V1_SY317_CR00214317_1.jpg

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

Jahfin, I've seen Nowhere Boy, and it's a great film, but, yes, very sad. I can understand why Lennon became the person he was in his adult life.

It provided great insight to me as well in regards to the person he became.

true_grit_poster7.jpg

Loved this one very much. I haven't seen a lot of the Coen brothers movies over the years but the ones I have seen, I've enjoyed very much. This one is no exception. Going to follow it up tonight with a look back at the first version starring John Wayne and Glen Campbell just for comparison's sake. It's been eons since I've last seen it.

We watched the John Wayne version the night before we went to see the new one. I still prefer the Duke mainly because I think the film had better humor and color. I don't know what this thing is with Hollywood these days where they all seem to want to mute the color. They may as well have filmed it in black & white. But I did like it nonetheless even though they didn't show the cat or the 'rat writ' scene. I'm reading the book again and even the Coen's didn't follow it that exact.

B)

We watched the John Wayne version the night before we went to see the new one. I still prefer the Duke mainly because I think the film had better humor and color. I don't know what this thing is with Hollywood these days where they all seem to want to mute the color. They may as well have filmed it in black & white. But I did like it nonetheless even though they didn't show the cat or the 'rat writ' scene. I'm reading the book again and even the Coen's didn't follow it that exact.

B)

I'll always enjoy the first one with John Wayne but I feel like Jeff Bridges was definitely the better actor in the newer version. Agreed somewhat about the color thing. I've noticed in some older movies (and TV shows for that matter) that it's hard to tell when it's nighttime, perhaps because they didn't have the same sort of lighting abilities back then. Not sure if that's what you're talking about but it's something I've noticed.

Watched this one last night which I liked much more than I thought I was going to. I have a very low tolerance for Will Farrell's brand of over the top humor but he was much more bearable in this flick.

51sx782b-2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My wife wants to see this new Jennifer Anniston movie that comes out friday. So may go

Who knows, if you rub her feet when you get home you might just get a little action. :whistling:

I'll always enjoy the first one with John Wayne but I feel like Jeff Bridges was definitely the better actor in the newer version. Agreed somewhat about the color thing. I've noticed in some older movies (and TV shows for that matter) that it's hard to tell when it's nighttime, perhaps because they didn't have the same sort of lighting abilities back then. Not sure if that's what you're talking about but it's something I've noticed.

I think Bridges seemed more depressed in the film and didn't appear as 'game' as Wayne did. The new version really didn't have much humor and maybe the Coen's were depressed when they made it? :D As for the color, it just seems a lot of new movies have that dark green/black look to them and I don't know who first did it but I'd say it's time for the fad to die and to bring back real color. But I know what you mean about the older films and TV shows. They used a special filter to get a 'night effect' while filming in broad daylight. A good example is in 'SHANE' when they are riding home from town after the big barroom brawl. It looks like night but you can tell it's daytime.

I watched 'Punch Drunk Love' with Adam Sandler again last night. I think he's a great serious actor and he was scary when he went after the asshole brothers who attacked him.

B)

I think Bridges seemed more depressed in the film and didn't appear as 'game' as Wayne did. The new version really didn't have much humor and maybe the Coen's were depressed when they made it? :D

I actually think it had plenty of humor but it was so subtle it appeared to go over most of the audiences' heads, at least that was my movie going experience. I found myself laughing at stuff they didn't appear to get. I've talked to other moviegoers that noticed the exact same thing.

As for the color, it just seems a lot of new movies have that dark green/black look to them and I don't know who first did it but I'd say it's time for the fad to die and to bring back real color. But I know what you mean about the older films and TV shows. They used a special filter to get a 'night effect' while filming in broad daylight. A good example is in 'SHANE' when they are riding home from town after the big barroom brawl. It looks like night but you can tell it's daytime.

Thanks, that pretty much hits the nail on the head, at least as far as how the old TV shows and movies were shot.

I actually think it had plenty of humor but it was so subtle it appeared to go over most of the audiences' heads, at least that was my movie going experience. I found myself laughing at stuff they didn't appear to get. I've talked to other moviegoers that noticed the exact same thing.

I did laugh at some things for sure, but I don't know why they left out the 'Rat Writ' scene? It was in the book too and I thought it was hilarious. :)

In the book LaBouef was also in the dugout when they caught Quincy and Moon (Dennis Hopper, for those who don't know) and the Coen's changed that scene completely. :huh:

Thanks, that pretty much hits the nail on the head, at least as far as how the old TV shows and movies were shot.

I was watching 'Psycho' last night mainly to check out the editing and they also used the dark filter technique on the scene where he shoves the car into the bog.

I did laugh at some things for sure, but I don't know why they left out the 'Rat Writ' scene? It was in the book too and I thought it was hilarious. :)

In the book LaBouef was also in the dugout when they caught Quincy and Moon (Dennis Hopper, for those who don't know) and the Coen's changed that scene completely. :huh:

Not sure what's up with that. I noticed those changes from the one with John Wayne too but since I haven't read the book I wasn't aware of that aspect of it. Perhaps it'll be something that's addressed in the bonus features when True Grit comes out on DVD.

When you watched the first True Grit with John Wayne did you notice that it was rated G? I found that strange, especially given that he said "son of a bitch" in it. A friend theorized that it was rated G for today's audiences but that still doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't think things have changed that much that a G movie would allow profanity.

Watched this one last night and while I enjoyed it, I had to fight off sleep several times:

41x83giQWlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51D6TWWK2WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had never seen this before until last night. Seems I had not been missing out on much. While I enjoyed it to a certain extent it was more because it was so telling about the time it was shot in (1994) than the actual content of the movie itself. "Timeless", it most definitely is not. When it was over I had an overwhelming urge to rewind it even though it's on DVD.

511eHmnaBCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was in no hurry to see this, especially after watching Super Size Me a few years ago but is very necessary viewing. I had no idea how out of control the situation over the food we consume had become. This is an eye opening film in every sense of those words, I can't recommend it to everyone highly enough. It's not just an expose on the food industry but it also gives some very helpful tips on what we can do to bring things back under control. That last bit is the hard part because of the complacency of the vast amount of people in the U.S.