I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

As soon as I saw the trailer and ads for "The Grey", I immediately thought "Liam Neeson is gonna kick some wolve's ass...there better be scenes of Liam strangling a wolf with his bare hands or biting his heart out!" Well, apparently I wasn't the only one to expect that and this review from the LA Weekly suggests I might be disappointed with the film.

The Grey Review

Liam Neeson fights wolves

By Brian Miller Los Angeles Weekly Thursday, Jan 26 2012

I was told there would be more wolf-punching in The Grey. If you crash Liam Neeson and six disposable buddies in the frozen Alaskan wilderness, there is the expectation — nay, the requirement — that Neeson punch as many wolves as possible. Tape pocketknives and broken glass to your fists, improvise other weapons from the plane wreckage, just do what's necessary in the situation, OK? But despite Neeson's recent string of aggrieved-daddy action flicks (Taken, Unknown, etc.), this is not to be.

Reuniting with his A-Team director, Joe Carnahan, Neeson is instead a melancholy Irish Catholic given to fits of poetry and religious doubt. He gently shepherds a dying passenger into the beyond. He provides sage advice to the motley survivors — worried by their knowledge of both Alive and Grizzly Man — as he attempts to lead them on a trek to safety. He writes to a mystery woman, glimpsed in gauzy flashbacks (who provides the film's only real jolt in making you think about Natasha Richardson).

Along the way, Neeson's pack is revealed to be frail and fearful, as The Grey's dwindling survivors somberly contemplate the odds against them and, as the film takes a mystical turn, the absence of divine providence. There's too much Jack London, and, as they systematically pick off the stragglers, too many CGI wolves go unpunched. —Brian Miller

Well I am happy that you did not give the movie away. But I happen to be an animal rights type and I do not think its necessary to blame animals in the wilderness for human mistakes. Did you see the Edge? Well, good movie. This sounds similiar. I do wish to see it but Ill wait til it hits the shelves.

Now what to do? Direct TV now has combined internet and DVR with their movies and Netflix has this Wii deal package. So many choices. So what is the best way to go? My wife saw at least four movie previews she is interested in. We certainly will not go to the theatre to see them all. Must make a decision. Netflix? Direct TV>?

PS. My money will be on the Alpha male to kick Liam Neeson's ass.

Edited by LedZeppfan77

We saw 'The Descendants' the other night. Excellent film and I'm usually not much of a George Clooney fan.

At home we watched 'The Black Pirate' (1926) with Douglas Fairbanks. Just an excellent silent movie and the pirates made Johnny Depp's character look like a clown. :^)

Has anybody seen this?

I've avoided watching it because of reviews where they say it's total boredom and it takes ages between one scene and the next... but now a friend has recommended it, saying he was impressed. Any thoughts?

41WbD0xx0UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes, I have seen this...several times, in fact. I didn't find it boring in the least. But then, I also like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Barry Lyndon, two other films with deliberate pacing that take their time.

If you find that sort of thing "boring", then I suppose you'll be inclined to find Solaris boring. It's a Tarkovsky film...he's interested in making art, not a video game, so a little patience, attention and thought is required when watching his movies.

As usual, the American remake with George Clooney is not as good as the original.

Yes, I have seen this...several times, in fact. I didn't find it boring in the least. But then, I also like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Barry Lyndon, two other films with deliberate pacing that take their time.

If you find that sort of thing "boring", then I suppose you'll be inclined to find Solaris boring. It's a Tarkovsky film...he's interested in making art, not a video game, so a little patience, attention and thought is required when watching his movies.

As usual, the American remake with George Clooney is not as good as the original.

I'm mostly into Zvynguitzev (he has been compared to Tarkovsky) in fact I have all of his movies, The Banishment builds a lot of tension. I have no patience with Tarkovsky, and no intention to watch Clooney :)

I read the book.

Incredible.

51BB54VVSNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://youtu.be/Pei6VrZvl3Q

I first heard about this movie years ago but never got around to watching it until recently when a friend tipped me off that it was playing on Hulu (which it still is). It was filmed in 1996 and came out in 1997 and is set in and around Raleigh, NC. As rock n' roll movies go, most seem to get more wrong than they do right. Bandwagon is a very notable exception to that. It's definitely low budget but it still gets it's point across. As a resident of Raleigh and a local music fan, I've always wanted to see this. Jac Cain (soundman at the Pour House) makes a cameo as a doorman at the Brewery (which was torn down last year). Back when this movie was filmed, Jac was the soundman there. Also of note is Doug MacMillian of the Connells in a starring role as a zen-like tour manager. You don't have to be a fan of Triangle area music scene to enjoy this movie but if you are, it's fun to try to spot the various locales. Otherwise, as rock n' roll movies go, the filmmakers did a pretty damn good job of capturing the trials and tribulations of a struggling, new band that's hoping to get signed to a label. There's also this review from The New York Times in case you're interested in learning more about the film.

We watched 'Country Strong' last night. Pretty decent but they should have ended it after her comeback when she walked off the stage.

I finally got to watch 'The Big Lebowski' and after all the hype that I'd heard about it I ejected it after 20 minutes. As much as I love Jeff Bridges this one started to smell like a turd to me.

I finally got to watch 'The Big Lebowski' and after all the hype that I'd heard about it I ejected it after 20 minutes. As much as I love Jeff Bridges this one started to smell like a turd to me.

I think too much hype can ruin a movie (or a record or book). A friend lent me a copy of The Big Lebowski but I wasn't in any hurry to watch it. When I finally did, I failed to see what all of the fuss was about as well. Perhaps I just didn't give it a fair chance because there was no way it was going to live up to all of the praise nearly everyone I knew had heaped upon it.

I think too much hype can ruin a movie (or a record or book). A friend lent me a copy of The Big Lebowski but I wasn't in any hurry to watch it. When I finally did, I failed to see what all of the fuss was about as well. Perhaps I just didn't give it a fair chance because there was no way it was going to live up to all of the praise nearly everyone I knew had heaped upon it.

I doubt I'll give it a second chance but I do want to see 'The Tree Of Life' and 'Hesher' again.

Sometimes I wonder if an actor/actress accepts a role because they love the part/script or because the paycheck trumps any kind of artistic quality?

Sometimes I wonder if an actor/actress accepts a role because they love the part/script or because the paycheck trumps any kind of artistic quality?

A definite "yes" to the latter. Just look at Robert DeNiro in those Fockers movies. Then there's instances like Kevin Costner and Dances With Wolves where it was obvious that it was a project he was very passionate about having made.

A definite "yes" to the latter. Just look at Robert DeNiro in those Fockers movies. Then there's instances like Kevin Costner and Dances With Wolves where it was obvious that it was a project he was very passionate about having made.

I agree on both counts.

You know, you can make all the plans you want...think your Friday night is all set. Then, you drive by the theatre marquee and it all goes out the window. For when the marquee looks like THIS!!!...you have no choice but to go. Any chance you have to see the Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood "pizza westerns" on the big screen is an opportunity you cannot pass up.

post-1470-0-14973000-1329565537.jpg

post-1470-0-97890500-1329565687.jpg

You know, you can make all the plans you want...think your Friday night is all set. Then, you drive by the theatre marquee and it all goes out the window. For when the marquee looks like THIS!!!...you have no choice but to go. Any chance you have to see the Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood "pizza westerns" on the big screen is an opportunity you cannot pass up.

I'm there, dude!

:^)

Just watched:

Rashomon

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (original)

Hangmen Also Die

Biloxi Blues (forgot how funny this one was)

The 'Ho' scene. :lol:

41N-C2n%2BLgL._SX500_.jpg

I'm not much of a sports fan (when it comes to traditional sports anyway) but I've never been opposed to watching a sports oriented movie. Thing is, they tend to fall into the same cliched plot developments. I thought this one was headed in that direction at first, albeit with a much needed twist but before I knew it, I became emotionally invested in the movie and couldn't stop watching. The statistical angle, plus the lack of a "rah-rah" ending made Moneyball stand apart from most every other sports movie I've seen so I feel like all the hype behind it is definitely warranted.

Edited by Jahfin

I'm not much of a sports fan (when it comes to traditional sports) anyway but I've never been opposed to watching a sports oriented movie. Thing is, they tend to fall into the same cliched plot developments. I thought this one was headed in that direct at first, albeit with a much needed twist but before I knew it, I became emotionally invested in the movie and couldn't stop watching. The statistical angle plus the lack of a "rah-rah" ending made Moneyball stand apart from most every other sports movie I've seen so I feel like all the hype behind it is definitely warranted.

We're gonna watch it this weekend.

I'm not much of a sports fan (when it comes to traditional sports anyway) but I've never been opposed to watching a sports oriented movie. Thing is, they tend to fall into the same cliched plot developments. I thought this one was headed in that direction at first, albeit with a much needed twist but before I knew it, I became emotionally invested in the movie and couldn't stop watching. The statistical angle, plus the lack of a "rah-rah" ending made Moneyball stand apart from most every other sports movie I've seen so I feel like all the hype behind it is definitely warranted.

I've been telling people(especially my non-sports-loving women friends) since "Moneyball" was released that it was a good movie and not to be put off by the baseball subject matter.

I have since seen it a second and third time, and my appreciation for the movie only grew...this is a very underrated film. Everyone is going on about "The Artist" and "The Descendents", but I think "Moneyball" is better than both of those movies. In fact, of all its fellow Best Picture nominees in this year's Academy Awards, I would rank only "Hugo" above "Moneyball". Hell is for the people who nominated "War Horse".

Brad Pitt's performance has also been overlooked in favour of George Clooney's sleepwalking thru "The Descendents" and Jean Dujairdain from "The Artist". But again, watching it again you gain new appreciation for Brad's performance...the nuance and subtlety. I am still rooting for Gary Oldman but if Gary doesn't win, then I hope Brad does.

Enjoy "Moneyball" redrum.