I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

^^^

Cheers back at ya'! :beer:

51TYWwmBKEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now you're talking! Great movie...although not for everybody. Definitely not for kids. Took my godson who just turned 17 and loves all the horror/gory movies, and even though he liked it, he was sort of creeped out, he said.

Hey Ady...can I interest you in a KFC drumstick? :lol:

Now you're talking! Great movie...although not for everybody. Definitely not for kids. Took my godson who just turned 17 and loves all the horror/gory movies, and even though he liked it, he was sort of creeped out, he said.

Definitely not for everyone! Great performances by the cast though. I'll definitely watch it again when it comes on Sky Movies.

Hey Ady...can I interest you in a KFC drumstick? :lol:

drumstick.jpg

Mmmmmm !! :)

"In Cold Blood" was one of the first true crime novels I read when I was young. I've probably read it a few times and have seen the movie a few as well. Maybe because I was very young when I read it, the crime was senseless, the family was so lovely, all of the above, but it has always "stayed with me".

The "Capote" film with Phillip Seymour Hoffman had a few scenes in it that I'd rather not see again, and probably won't.

"In Cold Blood" was one of the first true crime novels I read when I was young. I've probably read it a few times and have seen the movie a few as well. Maybe because I was very young when I read it, the crime was senseless, the family was so lovely, all of the above, but it has always "stayed with me".

The "Capote" film with Phillip Seymour Hoffman had a few scenes in it that I'd rather not see again, and probably won't.

I read the book too. The Hoffman film seemed to sympathize for the killers and I couldn't figure that out, unless Capote really did feel that way towards them.

^^^

"In Cold Blood" was the first true crime book I read, too, jb. The movie creeped me out when I saw it as a kid with my family at the Drive-In.

Later, I began to appreciate it as much for Conrad Hall's exquisite B & W cinematography as for the performances and script. There is a scene towards the end that any lover of photography will recognize as pure poetry. It is when Robert Blake is talking as he's looking out the window as it is raining outside. The reflection of the rain drops hitting the window against Blake's face gives him the appearance of weeping. It's a haunting moment.

Yes, that scene with Blake always stuck with me as the rain reflected from the window to his face. Great black & white photography can never be equaled.

'Paper Moon' is another one.

I rented "In Cold Blood" a few years ago. I was so impressed with it, I bought it a few days later, along with a copy of the book.

There's a newer version that I'm waiting for. I don't know who starred in it or if it's any good.

I'm also trying to find 'Soldier In The Rain' with Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason.

Yes, that scene with Blake always stuck with me as the rain reflected from the window to his face. Great black & white photography can never be equaled.

'Paper Moon' is another one.

I love "Paper Moon"! Lots of people see the names Ryan and Tatum O' Neal and think, "Meh", but they both are really good in this...and of course, any movie with the wonderful Madeline Kahn is worth watching. This was Ryan O'Neal's best period, when he was making the movies "What's Up, Doc?"(another Peter Bogdanovich winner), "Paper Moon" and Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" back-to-back-to back.

As redrum noted, the black & white cinematography of László Kovács is a major component of this film. Some of the shots and compositions rival the best of Walker Evans or Dorothea Lange. Stunning to behold at times...and as redrum said, there is a certain characteristic to b&w or monochrome photography that you cannot get with colour.

I strongly urge any of you that love photography or film to put "Paper Moon" on your list, if you haven't seen it yet. It is a hidden gem of the 70s...overshadowed by the larger "EVENT" 70s films like "Godfather", "The Sting", "French Connection", "Poseidon Adventure", "The Exorcist", "Chinatown", "Jaws" and "Star Wars", it holds up as well, if not better than some of the bigger hits of that decade and is another reason why the 1970s are often remembered as the last golden age of American movies.

Speaking of Golden Age movies, I went to the Museum matinee of "The Awful Truth", a glorious screwball comedy from 1937 starring the incomparably elegant Cary Grant and Irene Dunne, two actors of sparkling wit and chemistry. The screen literally sizzles when they are on. "The Awful Truth" is one of my favourite screwball comedies, and so I never miss a chance to see it on the big screen when I can. You can't beat LACMA's admission price of $2, either!

Again...if you haven't seen "The Awful Truth" and love romantic comedies or classic old movies, period, then put this on your movie queue pronto.

I might write more about this movie on the Classic Film thread. But now, I'm on my way to see Led Zeppelin's "Celebration Day"!

I think Lincoln opens this weekend? My wife and I both want to see it.

It's already out in Los Angeles. I thought about seeing it after coming out of the "Celebration Day" screening tonight, but I had already seen two movies today("The Awful Truth" and the Zeppelin flick) and I have a long, busy day ahead on Wednesday...and Thursday, for that matter...so I decided to pass on "Lincoln" and see it another night.

I went to see the new Bond film today. I'm not into Bond, but went along with my partner to see it. It was a trip out the house. :) I thought the film was fantastic; I really enjoyed it much more than I was expecting to. I liked the fact that a lot of the film was set in the U.K. It made it more realistic for me.

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

I love "Paper Moon"! Lots of people see the names Ryan and Tatum O' Neal and think, "Meh", but they both are really good in this...and of course, any movie with the wonderful Madeline Kahn is worth watching. This was Ryan O'Neal's best period, when he was making the movies "What's Up, Doc?"(another Peter Bogdanovich winner), "Paper Moon" and Stanley Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon" back-to-back-to back.

As redrum noted, the black & white cinematography of László Kovács is a major component of this film. Some of the shots and compositions rival the best of Walker Evans or Dorothea Lange. Stunning to behold at times...and as redrum said, there is a certain characteristic to b&w or monochrome photography that you cannot get with colour.

I strongly urge any of you that love photography or film to put "Paper Moon" on your list, if you haven't seen it yet. It is a hidden gem of the 70s...overshadowed by the larger "EVENT" 70s films like "Godfather", "The Sting", "French Connection", "Poseidon Adventure", "The Exorcist", "Chinatown", "Jaws" and "Star Wars", it holds up as well, if not better than some of the bigger hits of that decade and is another reason why the 1970s are often remembered as the last golden age of American movies.

One of the shots that stuck with me too from 'In Cold Blood' was from a high building as they panned with their car going by. The country and buildings looked similar to the ones in 'Paper Moon'.

I'm up to my eyeballs in Thanksgiving prepping and cooking(all while playing the "Celebration Day" dvd and cd on an endless loop), so I haven't had time to visit the Forum lately.

But now that the last Twi-shit movie is out and the theatres are overrun with adenoidal girls, now's your chance to catch up with some recent films that are worth your time and dime...and you won't be embarrassed taking relatives to over the Thanksgiving weekend.

"Argo", "Flight" and "Looper" are all good and worthy choices. But the number one movie to see now, in my opinion, is "Skyfall", the new James Bond flick. I was skeptical when I heard the advance buzz...but this truly is one of the best Bond movies. Definitely top 10, maybe even Top 5...not since "The Spy Who Loved Me" or "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" has there been a Bond film this memorable. Javier Bardem is mesmerizing as the villain and Daniel Craig is great, too.

Don't have time to go in detail...but put "Skyfall" on your holiday "must-see" list!

I'll be seeing "Lincoln" either Thursday or Friday.