I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

This looks really interesting and I have it coming from Netflix. Saw a short blurb of it on The Documentary Channel.

The guy was beaten so badly he lost all memory of who he was and made this WW2 'neutral' war zone in his yard using toy dolls.

81wfyIyeJjL._AA1284_.jpg

iron-sky-movie-poster-280x3992.jpg

Watched this on Netflix last night at the insistence of a friend (not necessarily one who's movie opinion I value, but he was with me so I acquiesced, LOL).

It was odd and quirky, and had a Starship Troopers quality about it.

It was based on the premise that the Nazis had fled to a secret moon base on the dark side of the moon after losing the war.

The US President is a Sarah Palin-type character who uses the campaign slogan "Yes, she can!" LOL

Anyway, it's not too bad for some offbeat lulz.

One of the oddest parts was where they parodied the Hitler bunker scene from Downfall (I had to Google for this information, as I had only seen the various memes based on the scene, and had no idea what the original movie was).

What was interesting about the scene is they seemed to actually parody the meme itself.

I had to think hard about it as I watched it - why the scene seemed so familiar.

You may have seen the meme in various forms, one of the funniest I saw was this one, which is the iPhone 4S parody.

Fun movie! Fun musical, too!!

One thing I refuse to do is go pay to see a remastered version of a movie that came out decades ago or came out ever before. They are not going to suck me in. Its enough I have to buy Led Zeppelin's enire collection multiple times due to the change in technology. And O those booties. Must have those booties. But movies, if I see the Wizard of Oz again its going to be on my television set and not at the box office because they did some remastering of it.

I am not saying that is what you did here. But the name rings a bell.

^^^

ZEPFAN17, are you actually watching these movies now, or just posting random films from the past that you like?

I had the same feeling about "The Hobbit", RH. I read the book as a kid and because I loved it, that led me into "The Lord of the Rings". After the Ralph Bakshi disaster in the 70s, I pretty much resigned myself into thinking that the Tolkien books were unfilmable.

Lo and behold, the Peter Jackson LOTR trilogy wowed and stunned me by how good it was. Needless to say, I was looking forward to "The Hobbit" when news first was reported...especially as Guillermo del Toro("Chronos", "Pan's Labyrinth") was to be the director.

MGM's financial woes contributed to many delays and del Toro was out and Peter Jackson in the director's chair again.

But when I saw it last month or whenever opening day was, at the end I didn't feel like I did at the end of "Fellowship of the Ring", the first part of LOTR. It was okay, but with the exception of the Riddle scene between Bilbo and Gollum, nothing wowed me. I'm so bored now with CGI orcs and elves.

One problem is that while LOTR is three separate books, "The Hobbit" is one, so splitting the book into THREE separate movies smacks of overkill, and deprives the first film of having an ending or story arch. It just ends because that's the part of the story they happen to be when the time is up.

I also think it would have been better to make "The Hobbit" first, then LOTR. As "The Hobbit" was written more for children and serves as a preamble to the deeper and darker LOTR, there's a sense of "we've been here before" redundancy to "The Hobbit".

One question for you RH: Did you watch the regular version or the 48fps 3d version? I hate 3d and I heard that the high frame rate made the movie look like video...one friend said it looked like all those old British shows PBS used to air on Masterpiece Theatre.

So I saw it in the regular 2d version.

Andy Serkis as Gollum was by far the best thing about "The Hobbit", followed by Ian McKellan's wry and amusing Gandalf the Grey.

My daughter and I went to see The Hobbit a couple days ago. I pretty much agree with your assessment of it. I could see doing it in two parts but three? OTOH, they were able to insert some of the backstory that, in the books, was actually in the LOTR (or one of the appendices). At least I think it was there, I loved the books, but haven't read them real recently... may be time to do so).

(I saw that cringe-worthy animated Hobbit thing awhile back. My daughter actually owns it and watches it from time to time ass kind of a joke. When my ex, a long-time Tolkien fan, saw it, he walked out of the theater. As far as I know, he never saw the rest of it).

Left to my own devices,I probably won't go see the Hobbit again in the theater, but if someone else wanted to go and wanted company, I'd probably go if it could be at the same theater... that was marvelous, and made for a much more enjoyable movie experience.

Saw 'Silver Lining Playbook' last night. I think Bradley Cooper should get the Oscar nod over DeNiro.

We practically had the whole theater to ourselves last night. :^)

Hi redrum,

I saw it over the weekend and liked it a lot! So happy Jennifer Lawrence won last night. I loved her character!

My theatre was packed! I think I got the last seat. I usually go to movies alone, so I can squeeze in anywhere, luckily!

51BBQQ48J2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Vozvrascheniye is now a 10-year old film set in the depths of the Siberian taiga whose director, Andrei Zvyaguintsev, despite his young age, has been hailed as a new Tarkovski.

The film is dark and complex. Only the beautiful landscapes of Siberia add a touch of brightness to this otherwise depressive story which at times can be hard to stomach -specially the final, tragic scene.

Vozvrascheniye is about a father (Konstantin Lavronenko) who after a prolonged absence returns home to his two sons and wife. The kids have mixed feelings of love and hate towards a man who hasn’t been but a stranger to them. When the three decide to embark on a road trip through deep Siberia, an experience that’s supposed to reconciliate them, the rifts between father and sons widen and prove to be of tragic and definitive consequences.

Hi redrum,

I saw it over the weekend and liked it a lot! So happy Jennifer Lawrence won last night. I loved her character!

My theatre was packed! I think I got the last seat. I usually go to movies alone, so I can squeeze in anywhere, luckily!

Howdy!

I think the reason we had so much 'leg room' is that there was a 2 o'clock matinee (we went to the 7 o'clock show) and the town had a hundred year anniversary party on the other side of town.

^^^

David O. Russell's previous film before "Silver Linings Playbook". Great movie and amazing how Christian Bale nailed the accent.

Saw 'Silver Lining Playbook' last night. I think Bradley Cooper should get the Oscar nod over DeNiro.

We practically had the whole theater to ourselves last night. :^)

Hi redrum,

I liked "Silver Linings Playbook" enough, but with reservations. It had what I thought at times were cutesy, trite representations of mental illness. That sort of "we're not crazy, it's the world that's crazy" pabulum Hollywood likes to push. Which is okay, but you expect more from a David O. Russell film than Chris Columbus-Richard Curtis-level hokum. This is the guy who made "The Fighter", "Flirting with Disaster" and "Three Kings".

I also thought the film ignored the elephant in the room: Namely, that the guy with biggest problem was Robert De Niro. He had a serious gambling addiction that was putting his family's security at risk. Whatever your vice, you never mix using and dealing, whether it is drugs, gambling or girls.

I thought the cast was good...and was happy to see Aussie actress Jacki Weaver from "Animal Kingdome" get some American exposure. As good as Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are, they are not my Oscar picks.

Daniel Day Lewis "Lincoln" and Emmanuelle Riva from "Amour" are my Best Actor and Best Actress choices. In fact, like Meryl Sreep last year for "The Iron Lady", I think Daniel Day Lewis is a lock.

As for "Amour", it is one of two or three films of 2012 that took my breath away, and Emmanuelle Riva is just riveting. Truly THE must-see movie out there currently.

^^^

David O. Russell's previous film before "Silver Linings Playbook". Great movie and amazing how Christian Bale nailed the accent.

I liked "Silver Linings Playbook" enough, but with reservations. It had what I thought at times were cutesy, trite representations of mental illness. That sort of "we're not crazy, it's the world that's crazy" pabulum Hollywood likes to push. Which is okay, but you expect more from a David O. Russell film than Chris Columbus-Richard Curtis-level hokum. This is the guy who made "The Fighter", "Flirting with Disaster" and "Three Kings".

I also thought the film ignored the elephant in the room: Namely, that the guy with biggest problem was Robert De Niro. He had a serious gambling addiction that was putting his family's security at risk. Whatever your vice, you never mix using and dealing, whether it is drugs, gambling or girls.

I thought the cast was good...and was happy to see Aussie actress Jacki Weaver from "Animal Kingdome" get some American exposure. As good as Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are, they are not my Oscar picks.

Daniel Day Lewis "Lincoln" and Emmanuelle Riva from "Amour" are my Best Actor and Best Actress choices. In fact, like Meryl Sreep last year for "The Iron Lady", I think Daniel Day Lewis is a lock.

As for "Amour", it is one of two or three films of 2012 that took my breath away, and Emmanuelle Riva is just riveting. Truly THE must-see movie out there currently.

Admittedly, I have NO Hollywood film knowledge/experience BUT, I have orbited the sun 45 times, haha

Guess what, human beings also ignore elephants in the room. (I am speaking of 'Silver Linings') I thought the film was all about that! Queer perspective, I guess.

I'll write more later, I gotta get to work via dogsled, hehe.

Ciao

Edited for spelling

Edited by planted

I wouldn't want either problem as I've seen it in my family on both accounts.

Admittedly, I have NO Hollywood film knowledge/experience BUT, I have orbited the sun 45 times, haha

Guess what, human beings also ignore elephants in the room. (I am speaking of 'Silver Linings') I thought the film was all about that! Queer perspective, I guess.

I'll write more later, I gotta get to work via dogsled, hehe.

Ciao

Edited for spelling

It was cool to hear some Led Zep in the movie. :^)

^^^yeah! LZ! That was a great scene also....

Let me try to be more explicit in my analysis 'Silver Linings'.

What I should have said is that 'real' human beings ignore elephants in the room. The writers brilliantly conveyed that to me. IMHO, ignoring (denial) is a coping mechanism utilized many many times during crises. The opening scene of that movie portrayed a mother who just wanted her son home. Remember when she said, 'I don't WANT him to get used to the routine here'? And then when Chris Turner's character jumped in the car and the mom totally bought it. The kicker was Mommy never told De Niro about the son being discharged. Totally dysfunctional. Totally real life.

And how about Bradley Coopers character? In total denial that his marriage is over. Completely convinced himself they were in love with each other. Coping the best way he knew how.

Like I said, I am no Hollywood insider or analyzer, but I liked this movie alot.

What I wonder about is why Coopers character wasn't enraged at Lawrence's character when he found out the truth...I won't say it so as not to be a spoiler.

Anyway, that's what went though my head during and after the movie. I would definitely see it again.

^^^yeah! LZ! That was a great scene also....

Let me try to be more explicit in my analysis 'Silver Linings'.

What I should have said is that 'real' human beings ignore elephants in the room. The writers brilliantly conveyed that to me. IMHO, ignoring (denial) is a coping mechanism utilized many many times during crises. The opening scene of that movie portrayed a mother who just wanted her son home. Remember when she said, 'I don't WANT him to get used to the routine here'? And then when Chris Turner's character jumped in the car and the mom totally bought it. The kicker was Mommy never told De Niro about the son being discharged. Totally dysfunctional. Totally real life.

And how about Bradley Coopers character? In total denial that his marriage is over. Completely convinced himself they were in love with each other. Coping the best way he knew how.

Like I said, I am no Hollywood insider or analyzer, but I liked this movie alot.

What I wonder about is why Coopers character wasn't enraged at Lawrence's character when he found out the truth...I won't say it so as not to be a spoiler.

Anyway, that's what went though my head during and after the movie. I would definitely see it again.

I'll have to address all your questions privately, as to answer here would give away too many plot points.

Just saw Hitchcock's "Marnie" at the Museum this afternoon. Sean Connery and Tippi Hedren are splendid...what a couple! Batman's butler, Alan Napier, plays Connery's father and a very young Bruce Dern pops up at the end!

Hitchcock tends to be hit-and-miss with me post-"Psycho", but "Marnie" is definitely one of the good ones.