I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

2 for tonight, courtesy of Netflix.

MoreAmericanGraffitiDvdripH264Booke.jpg

This was practically useless.

Yeah, I know I'm about 30+ years late but hey, I'd never seen it.

Not even a ghost of the original, quality-wise.

1337542336_rampart.jpg?itok=LfgpkR9t

I watched this solely on the presence of Woody.

That's about it.

He plays a pretty good role, but the movie isn't really about much, and ends weakly.

No problem Virginia...I certainly understand your dilemma and therefore don't begrudge the fact you fell asleep. It's not that great a movie, with only Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Fields performances to recommend it. It'll drift off into the murky depths of time like other heavily-praised bio-pics with a short shelf-life: Gandhi, The Aviator, Nixon, etc.

I had much better luck with "The Departed" last night; finally watched it on dvd. That was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

I had much better luck with "The Departed" last night; finally watched it on dvd. That was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

It was one of the best movies Martin Scorsese had done in a long time, too.

If you're looking for the opposite of 'quiet and dimly lit' Virginia, I can heartily recommend "The Heat" and "This Is the End", two loud, rambunctious, and raunchy comedies. Unlike some recent supposed comedies such as "Identity Thief", "The Internship" and the Kevin Hart movie, I actually laughed out loud several times during "The Heat" and "This Is the End".

Edited by Strider

Thanks for the suggestions; I will check them out.

One other film I watched recently at a friend's suggestion was "Death at a Funeral". I am still not quite sure about that one. I think it went a little too far over the line for me...

I also caught part of "Pretty in Pink" on Netflix recently; I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that back in the day. I used to have the soundtrack on cassette and carried it everywhere. Love the scene of Ducky dancing to Otis in the record store!

Watched 2 movies last night - one I'd seen before and one I hadn't.

I delayed seeing The Dictator because I expected something possibly worse than Bruno.

Surprisingly, it wasn't as intentionally uncomfortable and pointless, and was actually quite funny throughout.

I'm not sure if this has been panned as much as I've heard, but I actually found it to be very funny, and even clever at the end with it's indictment of the state of our country's present government.

51SDgWuiTWL._SS500_.jpg

I have seen Tropic Thunder a number of times before, and I enjoy it more with each viewing.

After catching a sweet buzz and re-watching it again last night with a couple friends - one who had never seen it - I am obliged to proclaim this movie as criminally underrated.

I can't remember the last time I've laughed so hard at a movie.

The comedy is, at times, exquisitely subtle, and at others, necessarily yet appropriately in your face.

And Tom Cruise's Les Grossman is absolutely the best character I've ever seen him play.

Every Les Grossman scene is epic.

But then, Hollywood is usually pretty good at self-mockery and outright evisceration.

I can't think of a single character that wasn't played well, from executives and their assistants to actors and their agents to film crew.

Danny McBride stands out in a peripheral role that really fuels the movie.

Each of the main characters have numerous key scenes that perfectly showcase their particular style of humor.

And the whole movie-within-a-movie template is done really well.

Honestly, if you have somehow manged to not see this movie yet, or, even worse, assumed it was just another tired, cookie-cutter comedy, do yourself a favor and watch it.

It's guaranteed to bring the serious LOLs from start to finish.

51d8uGDcd6L.jpg

Finally got around to seeing Savages.

Wow.

Super intense.

Had a feel similar to Traffic and Crash.

savages-movie-poster-2012-1010750715.jpg

Also seen recently:

The Great Gatsby

A great big, gaudy Meh.

Using songs by Jay-Z and even some Dubstep music was a huge mistake.

It took away from the period setting.

I'd have to say it basically sucked.

After Earth

Not horrible.

But not real good, either.

The film reflected the reality of it's making, i.e., Will Smith guiding Jaden across the terrain to save their lives, and guiding him through the course of becoming an action star of his own.

The Wolverine

I'm not a comic book fan, but this was a pretty good movie.

The fight scene atop the bullet train was extreme and harrowing.

The Numbers Station

I like John Cusack, and this was a decent story.

Not bad if you enjoy secret agent stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Frank Zappa's 200 Motels which is well its I'm not sure what it is. :wacko:

It's Frank Zappa...which is all you need to say, haha.

Well, Cate Blanchett has thrown down the first gauntlet...her performance in "Blue Jasmine" is riveting. A cinch for an Oscar nomination and every other actor accolade.

Cate Blanchett. "Blue Jasmine". GO SEE IT NOW!!!

Not that the rest of the surprising cast (Sally Hawkins :wub: ...Peter Saarsgard...Alec Baldwin...Louis CK!!!...Andrew Dice Clay!?!) is to be forgotten...they are all good. But Cate's performance will make your hair stand on end.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, been off the radar for a few weeks following a minor surgical procedure, and (surprisingly) spent way less time (read: practically none) online than I would have imagined.

I did manage to watch a few movies, some horrible Netflix suggestions included.

What I can say loud and proud, however, is that I am now a confirmed Guy Ritchie fanboy.

A few posts back you will find where I discovered Snatch.

Since then I've watched Revolver - not as good, but still quite entertaining.

Then last night I finally watched Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

First off, I remember when I first heard the title to this movie.

My first thought was, "they're trying a little too hard to impress with the name of the movie."

Silly assumption, I know, but it's just the impression I got, and it prevented me from going out of my way to see it.

After seeing Snatch, my opinion changed dramatically.

The thing that stands out to me about these Guy Ritchie movies is what great characters he writes.

He certainly understands how to create a truly terrifying figure - hard, aggressive and pitiless alphas all.

The other thing is the great soundtracks.

He makes some great choices for the music featured throughout these movies.

Not to marginalize him in any way, but he is kind of like the British Tarantino.

Anyway, not quite as good as Snatch, but still an epic caper blast of a story.

Lock-Stock-and-Two-Smoking.jpg

We saw 'The Butler' last week. I think Oprah did a great job and it really showed the generation gap between Whittaker and his son the Black Panther.

My only complaint is these new theaters that blow your frikkin' ear drums out with the previews and damned TV commercials. Next time I want to find out EXACTLY when the movie starts to avoid that mayhem.

In my never-ending effort to catch up on various classics / must-sees that I have missed over the years, last night I got to watch one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I copped a sweet buzz before settling in for the ride, which is good advice for most movies anyway, but almost mandatory for this one.

Seriously, Johnny Depp's narrative literally had me in tears as he and Benicio Del Toro stumble through the mother of all drug binges.

A drug person can learn to cope with things like seeing their dead grandmother crawling up their leg with a knife in her teeth.

But no one should be asked to handle this trip.

Not surprisingly, I even noticed a number of apparent seed-ideas for The Hangover.

I know most folks have seen this long ago and many times.

But if, like me, this one somehow slipped by you, you owe yourself a good buzz and a couple hours to sit back and take in the long, strange trip.

fear-loathing-in-las-vegas-poster.jpg

In my never-ending effort to catch up on various classics / must-sees that I have missed over the years, last night I got to watch one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I copped a sweet buzz before settling in for the ride, which is good advice for most movies anyway, but almost mandatory for this one.

Seriously, Johnny Depp's narrative literally had me in tears as he and Benicio Del Toro stumble through the mother of all drug binges.

Not surprisingly, I even noticed a number of apparent seed-ideas for The Hangover.

I know most folks have seen this long ago and many times.

But if, like me, this one somehow slipped by you, you owe yourself a good buzz and a couple hours to sit back and take in the long, strange trip.

fear-loathing-in-las-vegas-poster.jpg

I hope you have also had the pleasure of reading Hunter S. Thompson's book that the film and Johnny Depp's character was based on?

I hope you have also had the pleasure of reading Hunter S. Thompson's book that the film and Johnny Depp's character was based on?

No, unfortunately.

I enjoy reading, but it's a luxury (of time) that I rarely have these days.

I will definitely keep an eye out for it to have in the event I find myself able to do some reading.