I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Yes! Go! You'll have fun...I was expecting the usual product-placement drivel but it is really a clever, fun, movie.

ah, thanks! we are thinking of taking 14 yo son - he secretly wants to go, but i think that he thinks it's " for little kids ".....

has anyone taken kids/grandkids to see the lego movie?

i'm told it has a few jokes for older kids/adults too .... ?

Its a GREAT kids movie. Or should I say its a very good kids movie with a great message for their parents.

• 2 weeks later...

post-1470-0-62056600-1397779714_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-70445700-1397779753_thumb.jp

The other night was Alfred Hitchcock "blondie" night at the Aero...the incredible Carole Lombard in "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"(1941) and English cutie Joan Barry in "Rich and Strange"(1931)...which indeed was kind of strange. But, as it was one of Hitch's early British films from 1931 and I had never seen it, it was well worth it. I have only seen a few of Joan Barry's films, but now I want to investigate her filmography further.

There are few pleasures, however, in this world that can equal the sight of the luminous Carole Lombard on the big screen. The phrase "screen goddess" was coined for women like her. And Mr. Hitchcock proves so adept at "screwball comedy" that you wish he had directed more films in the genre. Robert Montgomery is also good and has great chemistry with Ms. Lombard. A far cry from what people usually think of him from his "Marcus Welby, M.D." or "Father Knows Best" days. If you have never seen "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", you owe it to yourself to check it out.

FYI: I just realized that maybe I should clarify that I am NOT referring to the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith".

Edited by Strider

attachicon.gifIMG_20140413_193425.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140413_193548.jpg

The other night was Alfred Hitchcock "blondie" night at the Aero...the incredible Carole Lombard in "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"(1941) and English cutie Joan Barry in "Rich and Strange"(1931)...which indeed was kind of strange. But, as it was one of Hitch's early British films from 1931 and I had never seen it, it was well worth it. I have only seen a few of Joan Barry's films, but now I want to investigate her filmography further.

There are few pleasures, however, in this world that can equal the sight of the luminous Carole Lombard on the big screen. The phrase "screen goddess" was coined for women like her. And Mr. Hitchcock proves so adept at "screwball comedy" that you wish he had directed more films in the genre. Robert Montgomery is also good and has great chemistry with Ms. Lombard. A far cry from what people usually think of him from his "Marcus Welby, M.D." or "Father Knows Best" days. If you have never seen "Mr. & Mrs. Smith", you owe it to yourself to check it out.

FYI: I just realized that maybe I should clarify that I am NOT referring to the Brad Pitt-Angelina Jolie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith".

Your film knowledge always blows me away, Strider! I love movies, and I've seen a lot of them, but not nearly as many as you have. But, while I may not know a whole lot about movies, I do know me some TV... It was Robert Young who was in "Father Knows Best" and "Marcus Welby, MD", not Robert Montgomery. Not sure If Robert Young had the pleasure of working with Carole Lombard. I love Carole Lombard. I should try to catch "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."

Billy Crystal, '700 Sundays'

Don't miss it

Billy Crystal is sitting courtside at tonight's LA Clippers game.

ebk, good call...that's what I get for not checking Halliwell's Film Encyclopedia. I seemingly always mix up Robert Montgomery/Robert Young.

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

Billy Crystal is sitting courtside at tonight's LA Clippers game.

ebk, good call...that's what I get for not checking Halliwell's Film Encyclopedia. I seemingly always mix up Robert Montgomery/Robert Young.

What does Billy Crystal being court side at the Clippers game have to do with my enjoyment of '700 Sundays'?

What does Billy Crystal being court side at the Clippers game have to do with my enjoyment of '700 Sundays'?

I happened to be watching the Clipper game last week while checking out the forum and right when I read your post about Billy Crystal's "700 Sundays", Billy Crystal popped up on the TV. I thought it was an amusing coincidence.

Today was May Day and in recognition of its pagan roots, the Cinematheque screened two suitable films for the occasion...1973's "The Wicker Man" and 1966's "Eye of the Devil". "The Wicker Man" I'm familiar with, of course, as most of you horror fans are...the great Christopher Lee, Britt Ekland dancing in the nude, the eclectic score by Magnet. It even has the actor who played Alex's smarmy probation officer in "A Clockwork Orange". Good stuff.

But I had never heard or seen "Eye of the Devil" before. A stylish British horror/occult film, smartly shot in black-and-white, it stars a complete gallery of wonderful British actors: David Niven and Deborah Kerr, Donald Pleasance, David Hemmings, Flora Robson. On a more macabre note, it is also the film debut of the beautiful Sharon Tate. You don't normally think of Niven and Kerr as the type of actors that you would see in a genre movie like this, but they're good sports and they give the film a sort of dignity. A definite precursor to later films like "Rosemary's Baby" and such.

I'm sure it's on this thread somewhere, but I watched "Doubt" with Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I'm not an acting expert, but you won't find 3 better performances than this movie offers. Had it on the dvr for two months and decided to give it a chance instead of hitting delete....wise choice.

I'm sure it's on this thread somewhere, but I watched "Doubt" with Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I'm not an acting expert, but you won't find 3 better performances than this movie offers. Had it on the dvr for two months and decided to give it a chance instead of hitting delete....wise choice.

Yes, we had a discussion about this movie quite a ways back, I'm sure, but so glad you didn't hit 'delete'. A very fine film and one that leaves you thinking and "doubting" who to believe right up to the very end. What conclusion did you reach about Father Flynn, Bong-Man? Did you believe the accusations or think Sister Aloysius was wrong? Viola Davis is in only one scene but she plays the scene so perfectly it breaks your heart. One of a handful of movies adapted from plays that do the play justice.

Yes, we had a discussion about this movie quite a ways back, I'm sure, but so glad you didn't hit 'delete'. A very fine film and one that leaves you thinking and "doubting" who to believe right up to the very end. What conclusion did you reach about Father Flynn, Bong-Man? Did you believe the accusations or think Sister Aloysius was wrong? Viola Davis is in only one scene but she plays the scene so perfectly it breaks your heart. One of a handful of movies adapted from plays that do the play justice.

I was raised in a strict Roman Catholic household....even got an annulment....and I too have "doubt". I really didn't think much about his guilt or innocence. What stuck with me was the reminder that most issues are never as black & white as the media portrays them to be....and that even includes molestation by a priest. Viola Davis should have won Best Supporting Actress for this one.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Guardians of the Galaxy was fantastic nice movie to escpae into for 90 minutes

Charles, if ypu don't take your son to see Richard Linklater's new film "Boyhood' pronto, you'll regret it the rest of your life, haha. That goes for anyone out there with kids, sons especially. It is 2 hours and 44 minutes long, so make sure they take a potty break beforehand. But it is worth every minute.

In case you don't know, Linklater is the director of "Dazed and Confused", "Slackers", "Before Sunrise", among others, and for "Boyhood" he filmed the same cast over a period of 12 years, so you literally see the boy growing up before your eyes.

I won't say any more so as not to spoil the magic. All I will say is "Boyhood" should be on the top of any movie-lovers list of movies to see this summer!!!

220px-Thepenalty.jpg

You ever see Chaney's "London After Midnight"?

Damn, Paul, it's too bad you aren't out here in L.A. this week...the American Cinematheque is having a helluva Universal Horrorthon tonight thru Saturday at the Egyptian Theatre.

http://americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/universal-monster-mash

Check out this lineup:

Tonight: "The Black Cat" (1934) and "The Raven" (1935) with Bela Legosi Jr. in person.

Friday: "Dracula" (1931), "Phantom of the Opera" (1943), and "The Wolf Man" (1941).

Saturday: "Frankenstein" (1931), "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935), and "Son of Frankenstein" (1939).

You ever see Chaney's "London After Midnight"?

Damn, Paul, it's too bad you aren't out here in L.A. this week...the American Cinematheque is having a helluva Universal Horrorthon tonight thru Saturday at the Egyptian Theatre.

http://americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/universal-monster-mash

Check out this lineup:

Tonight: "The Black Cat" (1934) and "The Raven" (1935) with Bela Legosi Jr. in person.

Friday: "Dracula" (1931), "Phantom of the Opera" (1943), and "The Wolf Man" (1941).

Saturday: "Frankenstein" (1931), "Bride of Frankenstein" (1935), and "Son of Frankenstein" (1939).

That's a very good lineup of Universal chillers--the only one from that list that I have not seen is the Claude Rains "Phantom."

As for your other question--I'm not sure there's anyone alive who has seen London After Midnight; the actual film was lost years ago but according to people who did see it, they say it was one of the lesser Chaney/Tod Browning outings. Of course, I would love an opportunity to judge it for myself, but I doubt it will ever happen...

Charles, if ypu don't take your son to see Richard Linklater's new film "Boyhood' pronto, you'll regret it the rest of your life, haha. That goes for anyone out there with kids, sons especially. It is 2 hours and 44 minutes long, so make sure they take a potty break beforehand. But it is worth every minute.

In case you don't know, Linklater is the director of "Dazed and Confused", "Slackers", "Before Sunrise", among others, and for "Boyhood" he filmed the same cast over a period of 12 years, so you literally see the boy growing up before your eyes.

I won't say any more so as not to spoil the magic. All I will say is "Boyhood" should be on the top of any movie-lovers list of movies to see this summer!!!

I will make a point of watching it with him

An incredible series of rock films starts tonight at the American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre. Partly inspired by Harvey Kubernik's new book on the history of Los Angeles rock-and-roll radio, "Turn Up the Radio!: Rock, Pop and Roll In Los Angeles 1956-1972", which Harvey Kubernik will be signing at two of the four nights of the series: Thursday August 14 for the T.A.M.I. Show presentation; and Saturday August 16 for the World Premiere of the new Seeds documentary with original Seeds members Daryl Hooper and Jan Savage in person and in discussion with Kirk Silsbee.

Tonight though, the series begins with The Doors Live at the Hollywood Bowl from 1968.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/turn-up-the-radio-la-rock-on-film

Edited by Strider