I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Well, that's just great. I've been after the folks at either Cinefamily or the American Cinematheque to get Jeff Krulik's "Led Zeppelin Played Here" to screen in Los Angeles and now it's finally here tonight...but I have another gig scheduled that I cannot break. Goddammit. :mad:

http://www.ledzeppelinplayedhere.com/

Has anybody seen this yet? ebk? Jeff Krulik is the guy behind the underground cult favourite "Heavy Metal Parking Lot".

Well, that's just great. I've been after the folks at either Cinefamily or the American Cinematheque to get Jeff Krulik's "Led Zeppelin Played Here" to screen in Los Angeles and now it's finally here tonight...but I have another gig scheduled that I cannot break. Goddammit. :mad:

http://www.ledzeppelinplayedhere.com/

Has anybody seen this yet? ebk? Jeff Krulik is the guy behind the underground cult favourite "Heavy Metal Parking Lot".

I did see it. It's a lovely little film. I'm not sure how much anyone not from around here would get from it because at heart, it's really a story about the local music scene and some of the characters who live here. But I enjoyed it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

"Wake in Fright" (1971)

One of the best films I've seen for years and years. I watched it on youtube first. It impressed me so much, I bought the blu-ray to see it in all of its glory - it was definitely worth it.

Review by Mark Kermode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDKBrAXysQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0siDIGjsU

Saw this real great creepy double-bill the other night...both directed by Robert Wise. YES, the same Robert Wise who directed "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music"!!!

Of course, "The Haunting" is well-known by most of you...based on Shirley Jackson's story "The Haunting of Hill House". The sexual tension between Claire Bloom and Julie Harris is sublime.

But "The Body Snatcher" from 1945 was one I had never seen before, and what a treat to see it for the first time on the big screen in a gorgeous print. The last film that Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi did together, it also stars that Master of Snide, Henry Daniell.

Paul, we share a love of Karloff and Lugosi, so if you haven't seen "The Body Snatcher" yet, put it immediately on your list! Karloff is malevolently superb in this...a brilliant performance!

post-1470-0-98202000-1410021295_thumb.jp

Pusher (1996)

A Danish classic. I first saw it back in the 90s and watched it again last night. Even better than I remembered it being.

Hell yes, Ady. This is one I noted in my Mads Mikkelsen post. Are you continuing with the entire trilogy?

Namea, thanks for the tip about "The Grump". I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it at the upcoming film festivals and foreign releases.

Hell yes, Ady. This is one I noted in my Mads Mikkelsen post. Are you continuing with the entire trilogy?

Yes, I've ordered the DVD box set. I'm looking forward to it as I've never seen the sequels.

Great Pic !!! Robert Wise did an incredible job on the Haunting...in my top 5 of all time for sure...Claire Bloom was soooo hot ! The sexual anxiety and apprehension between her and Julie Harris was great in that movie and may have been a first of its time, it was in the horror genre for sure....a true classic.

Haunting_2.jpg?1379095263

Saw this real great creepy double-bill the other night...both directed by Robert Wise. YES, the same Robert Wise who directed "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music"!!!

Of course, "The Haunting" is well-known by most of you...based on Shirley Jackson's story "The Haunting of Hill House". The sexual tension between Claire Bloom and Julie Harris is sublime.

But "The Body Snatcher" from 1945 was one I had never seen before, and what a treat to see it for the first time on the big screen in a gorgeous print. The last film that Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi did together, it also stars that Master of Snide, Henry Daniell.

Paul, we share a love of Karloff and Lugosi, so if you haven't seen "The Body Snatcher" yet, put it immediately on your list! Karloff is malevolently superb in this...a brilliant performance!
attachicon.gifIMG_20140903_191925.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One of the last movies I saw before going on holiday was this fascinating and informative documentary on one of the gloomier periods of U.S. history: "Last Days in Vietnam". Definitely a must-see for anyone interested in history and, given the beginning of our bombing campaign in Syria, still all-too-relevant to today's world.

Here is a list of release dates and cities for the film:

Sept 5–18, 2014 New York Sunshine Cinema tickets

Sept 5–18, 2014 New York Lincoln Plaza tickets

Sept 12–Oct 2, 2014 Washington DC E Street Cinema tickets

Sept 19– Oct 2, 2014 Boston Kendall Square tickets

Sept 19–25, 2014 Philadelphia Ritz Bourse tickets

Sept 19–25, 2014 Los Angeles Nuart tickets

Sept 26– Oct 2, 2014 Los Angeles The Landmark tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 San Francisco Opera Plaza tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 Berkeley Shattuck Cinemas tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 San Rafael Rafael Film Center tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 San Jose Camera 3 tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 San Diego Ken Cinema tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 Irvine University 6

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 Providence Cable Car Cinema tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 Asbury Park The Showroom tickets

Sept 26–Oct 2, 2014 Sag Harbor Sag Harbor Cinema

Sept 27-28 Pasadena Laemmle Playhouse 7 tickets

Sept 27-28 Claremont Laemmle Claremont 5 tickets

Oct 3–9, 2014 Chicago Music Box Theatre

Oct 3–9, 2014 Denver Esquire Theatre

Oct 3–9, 2014 Seattle Varsity

Oct 3–9, 2014 Austin Violet Crown

Oct 3–9, 2014 Ann Arbor Michigan Theater

Oct 3–9, 2014 Minneapolis Uptown Cinema

Oct 3–9, 2014 Sonoma Sebastopol Cinemas

Oct 3–9, 2014 Sarasota Burns Court Cinema

Oct 10–16, 2014 Phoenix Camelview

Oct 10–16, 2014 Amherst Amherst Cinema

Oct 10–16, 2014 Rhinebeck Upstate Films

Oct 10–16, 2014 Pelham Pelham Picture House

Oct 15, 2014 Norfolk Naro Cinema

Oct 17–19, 2014 Missoula Roxy Cinema

Oct 17–23, 2014 Atlanta Midtown Art

Oct 17–23, 2014 Houston Sundance Cinemas

Oct 17–23, 2014 Dallas Magnolia

Oct 17–23, 2014 Fort Wayne Cinema Center

Oct 19–22, 2014 Nashville Belcourt Cinema

Oct 20, 2014 Bellingham Pickford Film Center

Oct 24–30, 2014 Pittsburgh Harris Theater

Oct 24–30, 2014 Tulsa Circle Cinema

Oct 29, 2014 Torrance South Bay Film Society

Nov 7-Nov 13, 2014 Tucson Loft Cinema

Dec 5, 7 & 9, 2014 Columbus Gateway Film Center

Edited by Strider

Going to the Angelica to see this tonight !!!

The entire train scene from the time they meet in the dining car to the sleeper car pas de deux between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint is one of the classily seductive and dare I say it, EROTIC, scenes in cinema history. Throw in James Mason and Martin Landau as a devilish pair of smooth criminals and you have one of the classic movie thrillers ever. First-rate entertainment from beginning to end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...