I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

It really was one of my favourite films of that year...I might have raved about it here but only TypeO is brave enough to scroll thru the past posts. I don't know if you read Le Carré but I find most movie adaptations of his books lacking something, but "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" was completely satisfying as a film, if not as complete and detailed as the 1979 BBC TV miniseries version.

And, like I said..."Tinker Tailor..." has a cast to die for! Many of the leading lights of the UK acting community: John Hurt, Gary Oldman, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Toby Jones, Ciarán Hinds...are you kidding me?!? Well done, casting director! :thumbsup:

Saw two entertaining Ozploitation films from Australia tonight. 1974's "Stone" about Aussie bikers being picked off by an assassin and an undercover cop named "Stone" who tries to help find the killer by joining the biker gang...The Grave Diggers from Sydney. This is the film that begat the Ozploitation wave.

The other film in tonight's double-feature was "Dark Age" from 1987. A giant crocodile is loose and eating people. It's basically like "JAWS" but with a crocodile instead of a shark.

Watched it last night and thought it was really great! Thanks for the suggestion!

Thank you Patrycja. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this at my local bijou.

You're welcome, Strider, I hope you find it and enjoy it. Thanks for the MERU info. It's not showing anywhere around here. Too bad. These are the kinds of films that are best seen on the big screen. Guess I'll just have to wait for the small screen option.

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON....

I went to here the music...interesting biopic about NWA...other hip hop and rap artists in the early days of their careers featured as well ..

Some scenes could have been deleted or shortened....I won't say which ones since I do not want to give the details away...I sat for two hours then I left.. I had enough..The actor portraying Dr. Dre was very good and intense...

Juliet a.k.a Miss J

BTW I was the only one in the theatre... I'm in a small town but I was surprised there were not more there..

We watched 'The Tin Drum' (1979)

A quirky movie and pretty racy for the time.

Danzig in the 1920s/1930s. Oskar Matzerath, son of a local dealer, is a most unusual boy. Equipped with full intellect right from his birth he decides at his third birthday not to grow up as he sees the crazy world around him at the eve of World War II. So he refuses the society and his tin drum symbolizes his protest against the middle-class mentality of his family and neighborhood, which stand for all passive people in Nazi Germany at that time. However, (almost) nobody listens to him, so the catastrophe goes on.

We watched 'The Tin Drum' (1979)

A quirky movie and pretty racy for the time.

Danzig in the 1920s/1930s. Oskar Matzerath, son of a local dealer, is a most unusual boy. Equipped with full intellect right from his birth he decides at his third birthday not to grow up as he sees the crazy world around him at the eve of World War II. So he refuses the society and his tin drum symbolizes his protest against the middle-class mentality of his family and neighborhood, which stand for all passive people in Nazi Germany at that time. However, (almost) nobody listens to him, so the catastrophe goes on.

Incredible book. Incredible film. Incredible performance from David Bennent, who also was memorable in the 1980s fantasy-movie "Legend".

5bf5b536fcbe37b818188332e6baee20.thumb.j

e2fc69c829078e3487bef6a188fcebcf.thumb.j

Saw Straight Outta Compton Saturday night, and it was everything I expected.

It has perhaps the most incredible, amazing job of casting ever.
Every person represented that I was familiar with looked pretty much exactly like the actual person.
For a minute, I thought they had resurrected the Tupac hologram to play him, it was uncanny how much he looked and sounded like him.
I don't know if there's an Oscar for casting, but this is the best job of casting I've ever seen.
Ever.

Really enjoyed it.

$_35.JPG

Good god, this looks amazing! Cannot wait to see this Friday! Finally, a decent-looking Johnny Depp movie instead of the usual Tim Burton-esque rehash.

What's also intriguing is Whitey Bulger was recently captured. Talk about timing heh. I read he is getting a private viewing of film. Trailer looks to be of Donnie Brasco quality gangster genre which is pretty cool. He'll be proud.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to this tonight.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/roxy-the-movie-0

My friends at the Cinematheque had worked hard to get tonight's premiere of "Roxy: The Movie" set up, with Gail, Ahmet, and Moon Zappa appearing for a discussion along with Jeff Stein, John Albarian, and Alex Winter. When Gail Zappa passed away last week, it cast a pall over everyone.

Needless to say, the premiere is still happening but alas, Gail will only be there in spirit. Rest in peace, gracious Gail.

Good god, this looks amazing! Cannot wait to see this Friday! Finally, a decent-looking Johnny Depp movie instead of the usual Tim Burton-esque rehash.

I see the old bastard did time on Alcatraz. #AZ1428.

I used to write to Whitey Thompson who also did time there, #AZ1465. He was a real hard ass and a 'collector' but he turned his life around and had true remorse for his crimes. He passed away in 2005 in Fiddletown, CA where he raised hybrid wolves. 

WHITEY & WOLF.jpg

I see the old bastard did time on Alcatraz. #AZ1428.

I used to write to Whitey Thompson who also did time there, #AZ1465. He was a real hard ass and a 'collector' but he turned his life around and had true remorse for his crimes. He passed away in 2005 in Fiddletown, CA where he raised hybrid wolves. 

WHITEY & WOLF.jpg

Wow, man. Did you get replies back? I like to see people turn their lives around.

Saw Straight Outta Compton Saturday night, and it was everything I expected.

It has perhaps the most incredible, amazing job of casting ever.
Every person represented that I was familiar with looked pretty much exactly like the actual person.
For a minute, I thought they had resurrected the Tupac hologram to play him, it was uncanny how much he looked and sounded like him.
I don't know if there's an Oscar for casting, but this is the best job of casting I've ever seen.
Ever.

Really enjoyed it.

$_35.JPG

I haven't seen Straight Outta Compton. Tupac was great in 'Gang Related' with Jim Belushi. Tupac died because of that life style.

I loved this scene from 'CRASH' with Ludacris as Anthony.

Anthony: You wanna listen to music of the oppressor, you go right ahead.
Peter: How in the lunacy of your mind is hip-hop music of the oppressor.
Anthony: Listen to it, man. Nigger this, nigger that! You think people go around calling each other honkies all day? "Hey, honkie! How's business?" "Going great, cracker! We're diversifying!"
Peter: [changes the station] How about this, huh? How about that? You like that? Man's singing about lynching niggers!
Anthony: And you think there's a diffference, don't you?
Peter: [singing] "Gonna buy me a rope, and lynch me a nigger!"
Anthony: You've got absolutely no idea where hip-hop comes from, do you?
Peter: [singing] "I shoot 'em dead first, but I done broke my trigger!"
Anthony: You see, back in the '60s, we had smart black articulate black men. Like Huey Newton, Bobby Seale, Eldridge Cleaver, Fred Hampton. These brothers were speaking out, and people were listening. And then, the FBI said, "Oh, no! We can't have that! I know! Let's give the niggers some music by a bunch of mumbling idiots, and sooner or later they'll all copy it, and nobody'll be able to understand a fucking word they say! End of problem."

To be brief..."SPECTRE" is great...everything I anticipated it to be and a nice, satisfying wrap to the Daniel Craig-era Bond story arc. Not that you have to have seen the other Craig Bond movies in order to follow "SPECTRE", but it will deepen your pleasures if you have. Christoph Waltz is, of course, perfect...not going to say anymore.

Easily one of the best Bond movies. Alas, the title song is also easily one of the worst Bond songs. Horrible. 

The packed Cinerama Dome audience cheered the "Star Wars" trailer and booed the "Hunger Games" trailer and was meh about "The Night Before" trailer.