I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I love Bryan Cranston (just because I eventually soured on "Breaking Bad" does not mean I didn't acknowledge Bryan Cranston's great performance as Walter White), so it is good to see him have a chance to sink his teeth in a juicy role on the big screen as Dalton Trumbo.

Sartre said, "Hell is other people," though it's a special kind of hell when other people talk in movie theatres as if they're in their living rooms or use their cell phones throughout the movie. Brutal. This was all part of the special movie experience during "Spectre" which I liked in terms of its solid structure and pace and weaving previous stories together, but I wasn't as viscerally engaged as I was with previous Craig Bonds. Mind, I liked "Skyfall" the least when I first saw it, but it has become my favourite on subsequent viewings. Maybe I'll change my opinion after watching "Spectre" again. It's just that it didn't seem to have the witty dialogue of previous Bond films, and I didn't really get what it was about the final Bond girl that made him fall for her. Beauty, brains, sure, but we were told rather than shown her supposed espionage talents, and while their story lines weave nicely together, that heat that was apparent with Vesper or even with Monica Bellucci's character. Waltz was very good as the villain, but I feel like he's acting the same way in his villain roles, that calm, collected, exasperating power and delivery. I thought the motivation for Bardem's villain in "Skyfall" was better developed and more psychologically convincing. You could see his point of view, demented though he was, and understood his extreme reaction to rejection. Waltz's villain, by contrast, is well written, more subtle perhaps, but doesn't seem as emotionally moving. I was distracted throughout the film, though, so maybe that affected the whole experience more than I realize.

One of the reasons I don't like going to the movies with other people is that they always seem to want to 'chat' or comment on something. You didn't hear what a character said? Don't ask me. You want to tell me what this reminds you of? I don't care. Seriously, I'm militant about distractions and almost always see movies alone. Of course, the group reaction is part of the pleasure, but bad manners really take away from it. Seats should have electrical zaps...

• 3 weeks later...

Wait, it gets better -- #1 in the box office. Not sure if it's a frightening sign given the content or an encouraging sign given the genre.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/27/hitler-comedy-look-whos-back-germany-movie-box-office

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting out of "The Hateful 8" screening. Reswati, it was bloody great! Accent on the BLOODY! A cackling Jennifer Jason Leigh, face full of blood, is a sight I won't forget. 

And shot gorgeously on 70mm film, not digital. We saw the complete Road Show version, with an overture and intermission, it was slightly over 3 hours. Some theatres will get the 70mm Road Show version, the mall theatres will get a shorter version.

If you like Tarantino you'll like "The Hateful 8". If you don't like Tarantino then this probably won't change your mind.

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

Saw The Big Short last night.  Loved it, GREAT cast, and I learned quite a bit about the 2008 economic crash.  Because I'm often running late (stuck at office) to catch a movie, I miss a lot trailers. I had no idea that this movie includes a Zeppelin song in the soundtrack.  I won't spoil when/what song in case I'm not the only one in the dark. ;)

Saw The Big Short last night.  Loved it, GREAT cast, and I learned quite a bit about the 2008 economic crash.  Because I'm often running late (stuck at office) to catch a movie, I miss a lot trailers. I had no idea that this movie includes a Zeppelin song in the soundtrack.  I won't spoil when/what song in case I'm not the only one in the dark. ;)

Going to try and see this today. Lot of good films out now...recently saw and liked "Carol", "The Danish Girl", "Room", "Hitchcock/Truffaut". "Macbeth" and "Revenant" were sadly meh.

"Son of Saul" is on my go-see list along with "The Big Short" and "Spotlight".

Don't forget action fans..."The Hateful 8" opens on Christmas Day for those who have had their fill of candy canes and Santa Claus and holiday good cheer. ;)

Just getting out of "The Hateful 8" screening. Reswati, it was bloody great! Accent on the BLOODY! A cackling Jennifer Jason Leigh, face full of blood, is a sight I won't forget. 

And shot gorgeously on 70mm film, not digital. We saw the complete Road Show version, with an overture and intermission, it was slightly over 3 hours. Some theatres will get the 70mm Road Show version, the mall theatres will get a shorter version.

If you like Tarantino you'll like "The Hateful 8". If you don't like Tarantino then this probably won't change your mind.

Thanks for the review. Gonna see it next January in a special matinee with afterparty.

Just saw "The Big Short". Wow! Who would have guessed the director of "Talladega Night" and "Anchorman" would be the one to turn Michael Lewis' brilliant book into a scathingly funny but also emotionally rueful film about the 2008 economic meltdown spurred by the collapse of the housing market that was propped for years on bad sub-prime mortgages and loans.

Though the film is frequently hilarious, you could also call this movie an American Horror Story...although it is scarier than any Jason or Freddie movie because this actually happened (and could happen again) and the victims were real. What is exceptional about "The Big Short" is the way it takes Wall Street banking mumbo-jumbo and illustrates the financial concepts in a clear and entertaining fashion. Two of my favourite bits were Margot Robbie in a bubble-bath and Anthony Bourdain in the kitchen.

Some of the visual razzle-dazzle is unnecessary...particularly in the opening scenes of the film. It's as if director Adam McKay was trying too hard to impress millennials with his ADD editing style. Fortunately after the first 10 minites, when Adam establishes most of the characters and their milieu, the film settles down into a more natural rhythm. Stick with it in the beginning and you'll be rewarded later.

As jb126 noted above, the cast is great. Steve Carrell has never been better, in my opinion, and Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, and Ryan Gosling (who I didn't even recognize at first) are all terrific. My favourite of the cast might have been Jeremy Strong.

In some ways, this film reminded me of the British satire "In the Loop". One thing is for sure, it blows away that incoherent mess "The Wolf of Wall St." and the useless "Wall St." sequel.

And you get a great Led Zeppelin song at the end!

"The Big Short" belongs on the short list of must-see movies right now. I can't wait to see it again.

Edited by Strider

Me and the missus had a sneaky little smoke last night and watched The Ridiculous 6.

Holy crap did we laugh. Quite a few jokes are just brilliant. Written and execued (or improvised). I was not much af a Adam Sandler fan, but this, wow. Some of the characters and themes.... Really good comedic writing.

The Steve Buscemi scene. Funniest thing I think I have ever seen on screen.

Do yourselves a favour. It is over the top stupid funny. Also, the Western theme was surprisingly authentic. The shooting was actually spectacular, like a legit top shelf western for the scenery and general authenticity.

Having now already seen the new "Star Wars", "The Big Short", "The Hateful 8", and most of the other big December movies, this is the next film I cannot wait to see...the new Charlie Kaufman film! Major bonus for starring David Thewlis!

Edited by Strider

Took the girls to see Daddy's Home this afternoon.... Big mistake..left the theater early. Totally inappropriate for a 9 & 6 year old. I should have read up on the movie before agreeing to take them.

As soon as I saw the "Daddy's Home" poster I thought "coke movie" and knew I wasn't going to waste my time and money on it. Such a tired theme and story.

Recently went for second helpings of "The Big Short", "The H8teful Eight", and "Carol". Hot diggity dog...all three are a good time at the movies.

Edited by Strider

As soon as I saw the "Daddy's Home" poster I thought "coke movie" and knew I wasn't going to waste my time and money on it. Such a tired theme and story.

Recently went for second helpings of "The Big Short", "The H8teful Eight", and "Carol". Hot diggity dog...all three are a good time at the movies.

I'll be checking out The Hatefull Eight in 70mm on Friday...I can't wait!

I'll be checking out The Hatefull Eight in 70mm on Friday...I can't wait!

Samuel Jackson has a scene in The Hateful Eight that will knock your socks off. In a career where he has had many notable monologues and soliloquys, this one might take the cake for sheer audacity. The reactions of some people are fun to watch.

Hollywood Arclight has a nice Hateful Eight costume display in the courtyard.

20151230_201138.thumb.jpg.bd94b560efa42e20151230_201239.thumb.jpg.8f8687a4949f3a20151230_201214.thumb.jpg.115c77b921ee68

Knocked off two more films from my holiday list..."Anomalisa" and "Creed".

"Anomalisa" is another quirky gem from the mind of Charlie Kaufman....this one being in stop-motion animation. It's rated R...yep, there's stop-motion animation nudity and sex, haha! The ratings board people crack me up.

David Thewlis and Jennifer Jason Leigh voice the two main characters and they are terrific. Also terrific is Tom Noonen, who voices ALL the other characters. Yes, you read right...every other character in the film is handled by Tom Noonen, even the women. When you see the film you will understand why. Tom is marvelous and part of the fun of the film is picking out certain lines that Tom says in the background of the bar scene or in the airplane.

"Creed" waa okay. Better than just about every Rocky except the first two. It makes a good "guys night out" type of flick.

Edited by Strider

I watched The Hateful Eight last weekend. It's the best film I've seen for ages and in my opinion, Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction.

I always think a good score is one of the most important things for a film and Ennio Morricone's is superb here. Tarantino also uses music from The Thing which works very well.

Samuel Jackson has a scene in The Hateful Eight that will knock your socks off. In a career where he has had many notable monologues and soliloquys, this one might take the cake for sheer audacity. The reactions of some people are fun to watch.

Hollywood Arclight has a nice Hateful Eight costume display in the courtyard.

20151230_201138.thumb.jpg.bd94b560efa42e20151230_201239.thumb.jpg.8f8687a4949f3a20151230_201214.thumb.jpg.115c77b921ee68

Knocked off two more films from my holiday list..."Anomalisa" and "Creed".

"Anomalisa" is another quirky gem from the mind of Charlie Kaufman....this one being in stop-motion animation. It's rated R...yep, there's stop-motion animation nudity and sex, haha! The ratings board people crack me up.

David Thewlis and Jennifer Jason Leigh voice the two main characters and they are terrific. Also terrific is Tom Noonen, who voices ALL the other characters. Yes, you read right...every other character in the film is handled by Tom Noonen, even the women. When you see the film you will understand why. Tom is marvelous and part of the fun of the film is picking out certain lines that Tom says in the background of the bar scene or in the airplane.

"Creed" waa okay. Better than just about every Rocky except the first two. It makes a good "guys night out" type of flick.

Awsome !!!! That was Tarantino at his best...Tim Roth and Samual Jackson's best roles yet under the direction of Tarantino.... Jennifer Jason Leigh's best role of her career...wow...what a film! That may be Kurt Russell's best performance to date as well.

Awsome !!!! That was Tarantino at his best...Tim Roth and Samual Jackson's best roles yet under the direction of Tarantino.... Jennifer Jason Leigh's best role of her career...wow...what a film! That may be Kurt Russell's best performance to date as well.

Check Kurt out in "Bone Tomahawk"...that performance is just as good.