I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Took your cue redrum and dialed up two old James Coburn treats last night. When you type in 'James Coburn' on the Prime Video search engine, a wealth of James Coburn freebies come up.

"What Did You Do in the War, Daddy?" was a favourite of mine growing up and seemed to pop up regularly on tv on the weekends. But "Harry in Your Pocket" was one I somehow missed out on all these years. Cool vintage Seattle and Salt Lake City locations. Michael Sarazin was like a less-annoying version of Alan Alda.

"Our Man Flint" and "In Like Flint" are available, so that double-bill will be scheduled soon.

2736.thumb.jpg.6b991d6cdec472b7ad66328a21809ca0.jpg651514455_MV5BMWM4YWFkMTQtZmQ4YS00YTgzLWJjNTAtNmMxYWUyN2E5NmJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_SY1000_CR006491000_AL_.jpg.7ee781c2d2fad083481db188484e40f9.jpg

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Happy 60th anniversary! On Thursday June 16, 1960 New Yorkers were the first people to get a peek at "Psycho". Showers were never the same.

311654655_GoodOldDays.thumb.jpeg.f470ba800d3f4be1cf3c4699ad31b0d8.jpeg

psycho-450x372.jpg.f718aa2c183370374596676e303172af.jpg

My Mother would say: Oh, God! It's only a movie. 😄

Watched this again. I love the song at the beginning and end.

The Gallant Hours 1960 (DVD) James Cagney, Dennis Weaver, Richard Jaeckel - New!

8 hours ago, redrum said:

My Mother would say: Oh, God! It's only a movie. 😄

Watched this again. I love the song at the beginning and end.

The Gallant Hours 1960 (DVD) James Cagney, Dennis Weaver, Richard Jaeckel - New!

It's interesting how much Cagney actually looked like Halsey, the casting could not have been more perfect.

Watching this right now:

Amazon.com: Flags of Our Fathers (Widescreen Edition): Ryan ...

What to do now? Why didn't Bradley speak up?

On June 23, 2016, the Marine Corps announced publicly (after an investigation) that Private First Class Harold Schultz, not Bradley, was in Rosenthal's photo. Bradley is one of three men who were originally identified incorrectly as flag-raisers in the photograph.

Continuing the WWII vein...

A riot broke out when this was shown at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival. Includes home movies shot by Eva Braun.

1045783705_81LvfCnJkL._SX450_.jpg.06c34bdd8eb6bd5b5f8ba2ff7945fed6.jpg

"Battle of Britain" has some dead spots but it does have some fantastic flying footage. 

MV5BYjY1NmY1MzUtOTgwYy00Mzk0LThkNzgtZGRhNWU4NmFmYzMyL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_SY1000_SX660_AL_.jpg.3c83640c8328267a28e3b675fa092ec3.jpg

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Gonna have to watch that again. So many of those bastards got away or were given light sentences.

Even I had forgotten how good it is. The cast is uniformly excellent and Maximilian Schell is the very definition of 'riveting '. The scene between Judy Garland and Schell is scary powerful.

34 minutes ago, Strider said:

The kind of good all-around adventure-action movies Hollywood has forgotten how to make. "We met on the level...and left on the square."

the-man-who-would-be-king-movie-poster-1975-1020195886.jpg.9bdb14184e72de10874ae6726950e076.jpg

Great movie, when I first saw it at around 9 years old I thought it was a bad idea for Connery to want to bang one of the natives. The primitives tend to think screwing a god is a big no no. I knew it would end bad for Sean-baby.

BTW, Judy Garland was robbed! She should have got the academy award for A Star is Born, best version hands down and she was way better than Grace Kelly. Talk about a snub. She should have won in 62' as well but Rita Moreno did do a hell of a job in WWS so that one was not as bad as 55'. That one was outright thievery!

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Even I had forgotten how good it is. The cast is uniformly excellent and Maximilian Schell is the very definition of 'riveting '. The scene between Judy Garland and Schell is scary powerful.

Yes! Another one I really like:

The women were sent to Ravensbruck and were victims of the 'medical' experiments.

The Hiding Place DVD: BillyGrahamBookstore.org

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Great movie, when I first saw it at around 9 years old I thought it was a bad idea for Connery to want to bang one of the natives. The primitives tend to think screwing a god is a big no no. I knew it would end bad for Sean-baby.

BTW, Judy Garland was robbed! She should have got the academy award for A Star is Born, best version hands down and she was way better than Grace Kelly. Talk about a snub. She should have won in 62' as well but Rita Moreno did do a hell of a job in WWS so that one was not as bad as 55'. That one was outright thievery!

Have to see if it's showing on You Tube.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

The kind of good all-around adventure-action movies Hollywood has forgotten how to make. "We met on the level...and left on the square."

the-man-who-would-be-king-movie-poster-1975-1020195886.jpg.9bdb14184e72de10874ae6726950e076.jpg68645029_Poster-GungaDin_12.thumb.jpg.36f15caf6505fe863e7ec17527d45f07.jpg

"The Man Who Would Be King" one of my favorites.

Gunga Din filmed here in California in the area on the Eastern Sierra where the rock formations are known as 'the Alabama Hills'

Parts of Tarantino's film 'Django Unchained shot there. The local film museum has lots of great stuff to see.

Another really great Adventure film was "The Wind and the Lion" (1975)

1 hour ago, kipper said:

"The Man Who Would Be King" one of my favorites.

Gunga Din filmed here in California in the area on the Eastern Sierra where the rock formations are known as 'the Alabama Hills'

Parts of Tarantino's film 'Django Unchained shot there. The local film museum has lots of great stuff to see.

The Alabama Hills and Mount Whitney are recognizable in tons of movies, primarily Westerns. I hit the film museum at least once a year. I know a couple guys from Australia that go every year to the film festival up there. 

2 hours ago, kipper said:

Watched this yesterday. Streamed from TCM

The Getaway (1972) 

with Steve McQueen the king of cool

Peckinpah and his slo-mo. :)

In 1995 I missed seeing Robert Mitchum and Ernest Borgnine in Lone Pine, CA where they took people out to the area where a lot of westerns were filmed. I'll always regret that. :(

On 6/22/2020 at 11:22 PM, Strider said:

The Alabama Hills and Mount Whitney are recognizable in tons of movies, primarily Westerns. I hit the film museum at least once a year. I know a couple guys from Australia that go every year to the film festival up there. 

I finally checked  out the Western Film History museum in Lone Pine California last summer after driving past the museum many times over many years. Actually spent the night at the Dow Villa motel, had lunch at the Frosty Chalet, and then hung out at the only saloon in town 'Jake's Saloon' where I met a German family on holiday and we had a great time and conversations on many topics.  His favorite American western I thought a good pick, he liked Shane and also Red River. I was expecting him to say a Clint Eastwood film.  When he asked my favorite German film I could only think of two:  Das Boot and Stalingrad and he smiled. He said at least I knew of two as most Americans he met hadn't even seen those.  We both also liked the WW2 submarine film 'The Enemy Below".  We drank beer (Newcastle) until midnight and parted ways having learned much about each other's perspectives.

Photo from yelp

o.jpg

Edited by kipper

On 6/23/2020 at 12:34 AM, redrum said:

Peckinpah and his slo-mo. :)

In 1995 I missed seeing Robert Mitchum and Ernest Borgnine in Lone Pine, CA where they took people out to the area where a lot of westerns were filmed. I'll always regret that. :(

Two great actors. 

Did you ever see "Nevada Smith"?  That was filmed in that area near Mt. Whitney.  Great Steve McQueen film.

I've been on a McQueen kick since seeing "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" last summer and they had an actor playing a bit part covering McQueen.  I remember during the summer of Manson reading where McQueen didn't go anywhere with his Colt Python revolver under the seat.

2 hours ago, kipper said:

Two great actors. 

Did you ever see "Nevada Smith"?  That was filmed in that area near Mt. Whitney.  Great Steve McQueen film.

I've been on a McQueen kick since seeing "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" last summer and they had an actor playing a bit part covering McQueen.  I remember during the summer of Manson reading where McQueen didn't go anywhere with his Colt Python revolver under the seat.

Yes. Saw that fairly recently. Malden was a real prick, just like he was in 'One Eyed Jacks.' I don't blame Steve for packing heat after that bloodbath.

COLT PYTHON 4″ BARREL (.357 MAGNUM) 80-85% 1962 MFG DATE

Maximilian Schell or Paul Newman for Best Actor for 1961 was a tough call. Spencer Tracy was also nominated for Best Actor for his role in "Judgment at Nuremberg". I'm sure many thought Schell and Tracy would split the vote and Newman would win. But it's hard to complain about Schell's win.

Edited by Strider

13 hours ago, kipper said:

Two great actors. 

Actually, when news of the Tate murders happened most of Hollywood actors left town FAST, including McQueen. He came back only several weeks later, packing his Colt.

Believe me, there is much, much more to the Tate-LaBianca murders than was ever released to the public. Drug deals, bikers, & the Mob.