Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

7 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Anyone here into the Halloween movie franchise?

Saw the first one when it first came out.

14 hours ago, Strider said:

Classic grindhouse. Also released as "They Call Her One-Eye". Daryl Hannah's inspiration for her eye-patch in "Kill Bill".

162695024_MV5BNTEwZjY3MjQtMGQ2Yi00NThhLThlZTItYjM4MmIwODVjNzY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_CR006821000_AL_.jpg.0240e5e8eb1f2dfe6610e51dea99c783.jpg

Anywhere I can get this and The Switchblade Sisters?

Tried looking it up on YouTube and can’t get it.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

Saw the first one when it first came out.

Cool, it must’ve been something back then.

Haddonfield Illinois is named after Haddonfield  New Jersey where John Carpenter is from.

9 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Haddonfield Illinois is named after Haddonfield  New Jersey where John Carpenter is from.

It was great on the big screen. :)

10 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Most of the neighborhood scenes were filmed in South Pasadena and a few in Alhambra California.  I had a friend who lived on the street in South Pasadena where Jamie Lee Curtis' character (Laurie Strode) lived in the film.

spacer.png

Hollywood films many movies in this area of Southern California because of the abundance of "craftsman style California bungalow homes" in and around Pasadena, South Pasadena,  San Marino, and Alhambra, California. The High School scene was at South Pasadena High School on Freemont Ave. The elementary school where Tommy Doyle gets his pumpkin smashed by bullies is Garfield Elementary school in Alhambra on the corner of McLean and 2nd street.  The scary house where Michael Meyers once lived was on Meridian St in South Pasadena. The house was actually abandoned and vacant when they made the film, it looked haunted even before they made the movie. That house was later moved to another area of town near the train station in South Pasadena and saved. It had been slated to be torn down when a new owner bought the property to build condos.

The house where the film's climax occurs was also set to be in South Pasadena, but at the last minute the homeowners backed out so that location was moved to home of similar style to the South Pasadena neighborhood, but that house is in Hollywood on a residential street somewhere between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd. Ironically not more than  a few blocks from a place a I worked at a few years later.

Living here in Southern California I see many locations in films which are very familiar. I'll be watching a film, and suddenly I'll say "that place looks familiar, I think I know where that is?"   And sure enough, it someplace I have seen many times. But I always laugh when they are played off in the film as being in some other state. Especially when it is supposed to be in the midwest but you can see some tall California fan palms sticking up over on the horizon in the frame of the shot.

31 minutes ago, kipper said:

Most of the neighborhood scenes were filmed in South Pasadena and a few in Alhambra California.  I had a friend who lived on the street in South Pasadena where Jamie Lee Curtis' character (Laurie Strode) lived in the film.

spacer.png

Hollywood films many movies in this area of Southern California because of the abundance of "craftsman style California bungalow homes" in and around Pasadena, South Pasadena,  San Marino, and Alhambra, California. The High School scene was at South Pasadena High School on Freemont Ave. The elementary school where Tommy Doyle gets his pumpkin smashed by bullies is Garfield Elementary school in Alhambra on the corner of McLean and 2nd street.  The scary house where Michael Meyers once lived was on Meridian St in South Pasadena. The house was actually abandoned and vacant when they made the film, it looked haunted even before they made the movie. That house was later moved to another area of town near the train station in South Pasadena and saved. It had been slated to be torn down when a new owner bought the property to build condos.

The house where the film's climax occurs was also set to be in South Pasadena, but at the last minute the homeowners backed out so that location was moved to home of similar style to the South Pasadena neighborhood, but that house is in Hollywood on a residential street somewhere between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd. Ironically not more than  a few blocks from a place a I worked at a few years later.

Living here in Southern California I see many locations in films which are very familiar. I'll be watching a film, and suddenly I'll say "that place looks familiar, I think I know where that is?"   And sure enough, it someplace I have seen many times. But I always laugh when they are played off in the film as being in some other state. Especially when it is supposed to be in the midwest but you can see some tall California fan palms sticking up over on the horizon in the frame of the shot.

Great story. Similar to 'Bullitt.' The beginning of the chase scene where McQueen makes the u-turn (on Army St.) and then heads up the hill towards Bernal Heights. We lived about 6 blocks from there on Mission St. The crash scene was over by Bayshore. Precita Ave. was also close by and that's where the SLA had a 'safe house.' There was also a Beatles house about a block away. But when you talk about destruction.......

Beatles House," 1978 | "Beatles House," 191 Precita Ave, Sa… | FlickrSymbionese Liberation Army | American militant group | BritannicaAll you need is love.

Steve hangs a u.

The hill in the background is Bernal Heights.

https://bernalwood.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/bullitthen1.jpg

At Marina Green, north side of SF. The chase bounced all over the city because of the locations.

Best Bullitt GIFs | Gfycat

6 minutes ago, redrum said:

Great story. Similar to 'Bullitt.' The beginning of the chase scene where McQueen makes the u-turn (on Army St.) and then heads up the hill towards Bernal Heights. We lived about 6 blocks from there on Mission St. The crash scene was over by Bayshore. Precita Ave. was also close by and that's where the SLA had a 'safe house.' There was also a Beatles house about a block away. But when you talk about destruction.......

Beatles House," 1978 | "Beatles House," 191 Precita Ave, Sa… | FlickrSymbionese Liberation Army | American militant group | BritannicaAll you need is love.

It's always cool when you recognize familiar neighborhood places in films.

I have only been to SF less than the fingers on my hands during my life, but so many icons stick out there when you go from all of the films shot in SF. Same I'm sure is true for NY, and Chicago. In SF most people would spot Lombard Street right away-- and of course the bridge, but Coit Tower, the Wharf, the Panhandle, Palace of fine arts, areas in and around the Presdio, Ft. Point, Mt Davidson Cross, Alamo square, lots of spots on Haight Street,  just so many recognizable locations.

Here in SoCal / Los Angles / Hollywood  there are a couple which I always enjoy seeing in films.... many films going waaaaay back too.

1) The Bradbury Building interior in downtown Los Angeles on South Broadway

spacer.png

spacer.png

The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)

spacer.png

DOA (1950)

spacer.png

Blade Runner (1982)

spacer.png

2) Crossroads of the World in Hollywood on Sunset Blvd. Probably one of the first open air strip malls.

Notice the Hollywood sign up at the top of the frame. It actually says the original "Hollywoodland". The sign was part of a real estate promotion to help sell lots and homes in that upper hill area above Hollywood Blvd. The sign was never meant to be permanent.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

shot from the film L.A.Confidential (1997)

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, redrum said:

Steve hangs a u.

The hill in the background is Bernal Heights.

https://bernalwood.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/bullitthen1.jpg

And the signs:

Phillips 66 gasoline and I.W. Harper whisky. Blast from the past.

Celebrated Greta Garbo's birthday with two of her early silents.

the-joyless-street-movie-poster-1925-1010540284.jpg.99b514123ec27f860e54e74ddfb5fba1.jpgthe-temptress-movie-poster-md.jpg.26e29476a8ed8a6799ab9ea99ca029f4.jpg

Edited by Strider

7 hours ago, redrum said:

It was great on the big screen. :)

I was only 8 years old when it came out, It's my favorite Slasher film, I see the new movie has been pushed back to Oct 2021, it was suppose to be this Oct.

5 hours ago, kipper said:

spacer.png

Very cool Kipper, my girls grandma live in San Diego.

19 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Anywhere I can get this and The Switchblade Sisters?

Tried looking it up on YouTube and can’t get it.

I've had the dvds for both since they came out. Synapse released their limited edition uncensored dvd of "Thriller: A Cruel Picture" (1973) in 2004. It is now out of print but you can probably find used copies on Amazon or ebay, although they may be $50 and up.

As for "Switchblade Sisters" (1975), Miramax released the dvd under Tarantino's imprint back in 2000.  It still seems to be in print as Amazon has them at retail price...$29.99.

Good luck!

6 hours ago, redrum said:

Well, yeah, but the difference is that "Bullitt" wasn't trying to sell San Francisco as another location. "Bullitt" was very clear about it taking place in San Francisco and using real San Francisco locations. 

What kipper was explaining was the common feeling all Los Angeles natives have when we see Hollywood passing Los Angeles and its locations off as other cities and countries. 

For many years I kept a list of every time I noticed a Los Angeles location being used for somewhere else in a movie. I'll have to try and dig it up. As kipper has posted above, The Bradbury Building was a favourite for many filmmakers. Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead and the Malibu and Santa Monica Canyons were also popular stand-ins for other places.

The Godfather movies this weekend, except maybe not the third part as it sucks and I can’t stand to see Francis daughter as Michael Corleon’s daughter as she can’t act for shit.

2 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

The Godfather movies this weekend, except maybe not the third part as it sucks and I can’t stand to see Francis daughter as Michael Corleon’s daughter as she can’t act for shit.

There are only TWO Godfather films.  That 3rd thing Coppola signed off on was travesty.  One thing both Michael Corleone or his father would have NEVER done would be to seek the advice and council of women. In GFIII Michael shares way too much information with his wife Kate and his sister Connie, a total departure from his character.

At the end of Godfather II as an aged Michael was sitting alone at his compound in Tahoe reflecting on where his life had ended up and remembering all the people he had both loved and "dealt with" in his family, and why he was so reviled in the end while his father loved?  That was the END of the story, it didn't need a part 3.

I have always thought an interesting film would be a prequel story covering the early lives of the three brothers (Santino, Fredo, and Michael).  Some very interesting back stories there.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Well, yeah, but the difference is that "Bullitt" wasn't trying to sell San Francisco as another location. "Bullitt" was very clear about it taking place in San Francisco and using real San Francisco locations. 

What kipper was explaining was the common feeling all Los Angeles natives have when we see Hollywood passing Los Angeles and its locations off as other cities and countries. 

For many years I kept a list of every time I noticed a Los Angeles location being used for somewhere else in a movie. I'll have to try and dig it up. As kipper has posted above, The Bradbury Building was a favourite for many filmmakers. Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead and the Malibu and Santa Monica Canyons were also popular stand-ins for other places.

My biggest complaint about Bullitt is actually elements of the car chase---which was the  best part of the film.  During the chase they used too many of the same cars in the traffic shots over, and over, and over again. Even before I was keen at watching films for continuity errors in production, the shots of the same green VW and the white Pontiac seemingly showing up at every street, cross street, and heading in every direction near the Mustang and the Charger-- was obvious even then. I'm sure that in the edit bay they were going, "shit, wish we had some more footage so we don't have to keep using those shots of the same cars!"

The Bradbury Building: Usually a field trip destination for elementary school students back in the day. Along with Grand Central Terminal near Olivera Street. The art deco train terminal is featured in many Hollywood films.

Yes, Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead often depicted as some European mountain area. And of course the epic background of  Vasquez Rocks in the canyon pass between the San Fernando Valley and Antelope Valley.  Too many films to mention for that location, including Star Trek too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_productions_using_the_Vasquez_Rocks_as_a_filming_location

Star Trek

spacer.png

Blazing Saddles

spacer.png

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Strider said:

In the 'Sand Pebbles' commentary, the final scene was actually a set built in Malibu. Many tricks like Hitchcock used to do. (Movie Magic) The Bradbury bldg. also used in an episode of 'The Outer Limits' with Robert Culp. I'd love to visit it.

INNER TOOB: LOCATION SHOTS - THE BRADBURY BUILDING & PALS

All this talk about SF, car chases, and location shots.... I remembered I had this in my cloud DVR recorded off of TCM:

"What's Up Doc?" (1972)

spacer.png

What a treat this was! Hadn't seen this since I was a teenager when it came out.

Very, very, funny--- well written and directed.  There is a line near the end where the phrase, "Love is never having to say you're sorry" that they made fun of and I laughed out  loud. The joke being it was a line from "Love Story" (1970) which Ryan O'Neal starred in along side Ally MacGraw.  I'm sure I didn't get the joke 48 years ago when I first saw this.

My biggest complaint about Bullitt is actually elements of the car chase---which was the  best part of the film.  During the chase they used too many of the same cars in the traffic shots over, and over, and over again. Even before I was keen at watching films for continuity errors in production, the shots of the same green VW and the white Pontiac seemingly showing up at every street, cross street, and heading in every direction near the Mustang and the Charger-- was obvious even then. I'm sure that in the edit bay they were going, "shit, wish we had some more footage so we don't have to keep using those shots of the same cars!"

I know what you're talking about. What got me more was how they could go from Bernal Heights/Portrero Hill to the Marina district in an instant. The two areas are probably about 5 miles from each other. But like I said, it was for the locations.

Currently watching this. I love the sound track.

Amazon.com: The Last Of The Mohicans [DVD]: Movies & TV