Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

Two movies that stand the test of time. Thematically, they sort of tie-in with "The Stranger" and "The Pawnbroker". This is the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II so movies about Nazis, the Holocaust, Cold War spies are of high interest to me.

Richard Burton was often hit-or-miss, depending on how drunk he was and what state his marriage to Elizabeth Taylor was in, but "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold" is one of Richard Burton's finest. It is the sober, serious antidote to the cartoonish world of James Bond.

As for "Is Paris Burning?", like "The Longest Day", it might be too long for some people...almost three hours. But what an all-star international cast! Music score by Maurice Jarre.

44f49f983e4c1cbda342f609188853bb.thumb.jpg.8a7a957825e6ccf7084a6d8aadac597a.jpg

8VMgWFaJjNd90f5r8fBTW9yZAFH.thumb.jpg.dc24b6efb798ee459afb1e7b32c3265d.jpg

I love when Burton lays down the law to Claire Bloom about communism. I watched 'Is Paris Burning' not too long ago.

Happy birthday Marsha Hunt! Still kicking' at 103.

Born_to_the_West_FilmPoster_1.jpeg.d2ff8d462a3972b9b0ce47a8de779818.jpeg

9dc2c1d9-2341-4af9-9802-b9f66e635877_1.fa0c08aa25fba80e34b2dd00bf614faf.jpeg.d34b9a4671b697ab15523201d6590626.jpeg

none-shall-escape-1944.jpg.33e3112558a33e0372c991f18539fdbc.jpg

Happy birthday Marsha Hunt! Still kicking' at 103.

Dang!!!

Remembering Anita O'Day and Chuck Berry on their birthday.

jazz-on-a-summers-day-movie-poster-1960-1020482958.jpg.e3bb546e4d53f29261991d599bcebdf5.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 10/16/2020 at 10:17 AM, redrum said:

Had to watch George again.

Amazon.com: Patton: George C. Scott, Karl Malden, Stephen Young, Michael  Strong, Carey Loftin, Albert Dumortier, Frank Latimore, Morgan Paull, Karl  Michael Vogler, Bill Hickman, Pat Zurica, James Edwards, Fred J. Koenekamp,  Franklin

They really need to do a movie about Patton encircling the whole Nazi army group in the Falaise Gap, asking Ike to stay in the British zone to close the gap and essentially end German resistance in the SW, and being told to pound sand as Monty demanded Patton's forces retreat back to the American zone which caused the gap and allowed significant German forces to escape.

If Ike and his politics did not win the day and Patton had been allowed to keep the gap closed, the western allied forces would have been in Berlin no later than December 1944.

Thanks Ike.

Edited by Mr.Bones

3 hours ago, Mr.Bones said:

They really need to do a movie about Patton encircling the whole Nazi army group in the Falaise Gap, asking Ike to stay in the British zone to close the gap and essentially end German resistance in the SW, and being told to pound sand as Monty demanded Patton's forces retreat back to the American zone which caused the gap and allowed significant German forces to escape.

If Ike and his politics did not win the day and Patton had been allowed to keep the gap closed, the western allied forces would have been in Berlin no later than December 1944.

Thanks Ike.

Don't know if it's true or not, but Patton wanted to cut off the Germans at the Battle Of The Bulge but Ike made the Americans counterattack them head on and that cost 75,000 American casualties.

4 hours ago, redrum said:

Don't know if it's true or not, but Patton wanted to cut off the Germans at the Battle Of The Bulge but Ike made the Americans counterattack them head on and that cost 75,000 American casualties.

It was all politics for Ike, he did not want to rock the boat so he gave in to Monty at every opportunity. Both Monty & Bradley were way to cautious as generals. Patton was more along the lines of Zukov by comparison but with better military intelligence. One of the problems with Patton's persona is that he was the perfect tactical genius, he was not. Patton's greatest gift was finding the best tactical commanders like Truscott and Abrams to work under him, in conjunction with his use of combined airpower and intelligence to ensure he had the most accurate picture of the German troop positions possible. Patton is known as a tank guy but in reality his use of combined airpower and artillery was unmatched by any general on any side in the war. He literally was the first general to do this. Patton was not aggressive just to be aggressive, he was aggressive because he knew beforehand what the enemy was up to and how they were deployed. If somehow a German general ever surprised Patton (which never happened thank god), I doubt Patton would have come out on top due to his extreme reliance on battlefield intel and air support.

The book I received. Never know what the cover will look like.

PAWNBROKER BOOK.jpg

Found this at the recycle store today. 2 discs. 99 cents.

Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Rotten Tomatoes

13 hours ago, redrum said:

Found this at the recycle store today. 2 discs. 99 cents.

Inglourious Basterds (2009) - Rotten Tomatoes

Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Nein! Nein! Nein! Nein!

Ja! Ja! Ja!Ja!

Great movie. The final swastika carving was classic.

Pretty good Dolly doc on Netflix, although it raises as many questions as it answers.

MV5BN2ViZjVhYzUtODI5ZS00NmNiLWExMWItOTgxNTQ4NmExMzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg.6c2f08f322909bdafafa402fdae7479f.jpg

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Pretty good Dolly doc on Netflix, although it raises as many questions as it answers

The "I don't need no man" propaganda was a little strong on this one. 

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The "I don't need no man" propaganda was a little strong on this one. 

I didn't get that at all. In fact, her husband appears to be a saint.

Edited by Strider

21 hours ago, Strider said:

Pretty good Dolly doc on Netflix, although it raises as many questions as it answers.

MV5BN2ViZjVhYzUtODI5ZS00NmNiLWExMWItOTgxNTQ4NmExMzYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg.6c2f08f322909bdafafa402fdae7479f.jpg

Dolly is not only a great musician and performer, but possibly the smartest, best business-person in music hands down.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:17 PM, redrum said:

Had to watch George again.

Amazon.com: Patton: George C. Scott, Karl Malden, Stephen Young, Michael  Strong, Carey Loftin, Albert Dumortier, Frank Latimore, Morgan Paull, Karl  Michael Vogler, Bill Hickman, Pat Zurica, James Edwards, Fred J. Koenekamp,  Franklin

The intro alone is worth the price of admission.

Edited by cryingbluerain

1 hour ago, Mr.Bones said:

Dolly is not only a great musician and performer, but possibly the smartest, best business-person in music hands down.

One of her smartest decisions was telling "Colonel" Parker to fuck off. Elvis Presley wanted to record her song "I Will Always Love You" but as a condition Parker wanted her to give up half her publishing rights. Smartly, she said no. It was similar to Jerry Reed refusing to hand half his publishing rights to "Guitar Man" to Parker when Elvis wanted to use it for his 1968 Comeback Special, even though he was broke and starving at the time. To his credit, Elvis ignored Parker and did the song anyway. Tom Parker was a piece of shit.

49 minutes ago, Strider said:

One of her smartest decisions was telling "Colonel" Parker to fuck off. Elvis Presley wanted to record her song "I Will Always Love You" but as a condition Parker wanted her to give up half her publishing rights. Smartly, she said no. It was similar to Jerry Reed refusing to hand half his publishing rights to "Guitar Man" to Parker when Elvis wanted to use it for his 1968 Comeback Special, even though he was broke and starving at the time. To his credit, Elvis ignored Parker and did the song anyway. Tom Parker was a piece of shit.

What I always loved about Dolly is she is just so damn nice in public, does not go for the "I'm a big star" nonsense, and always places business over ego. When that lovely lady Whitney Houston used her tune for The Bodyguard and then talked trash about how amazing her (WH) version was compared to Dolly's version, and that Dolly's version could not touch hers, what did Dolly do? Not what just about any other performer would do, nope, she publicly said Whitney was right and that Whitney's version was better...then laughed all the way to the bank as Whitney's version sold millions. Most musicians would have involved themselves in some petty pissing contest but not Dolly. Not just classy but smart.

and yes, Tom Parker, aka Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk, was indeed a massive piece of shit. Too bad Elvis did not have him whacked, Elvis might still be with us today.

Yesterday I watched Sate of Grace, with Sean Penn, Gary Oldman and Ed Harris about the Irish gang the Westies, and Black Mass about Whitey Bulger.

I had seen these two movies already, but enjoyed watching them again.

Edited by RainbowElf

19 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Yesterday I watched Sate of Grace, with Sean Penn, Gary Oldman and Ed Harris about the Irish gang the Westies, and Black Mass about Whitey Bulger.

I had seen these two movies already, but enjoyed watching them again.

Black Mass was great. Depp really looked like the total maniac.

I'm watching the original.

Watch Ocean's 11 (1960) | Prime Video

5 hours ago, redrum said:

Black Mass was great. Depp really looked like the total maniac.

State of Grace was great too and based on the Westies, total maniacs.

Edited by RainbowElf