I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

On 10/29/2021 at 1:53 PM, 1975NQ said:

In keeping with Halloween festivities, watched Salem's Lot last weekend - introduced it to my girlfriend. Yes, it's bad, but I'm a huge James Mason fan and he's great in this. Like all the best actors, he just kept getting better with age.

image.jpeg.8b9d39d286d2be0f3e3b31c1d884972e.jpeg

Totally agree with you.  Probably my favorite supporting actor of all-time.  No matter the era, he always brought credibility to his performances.  The "Back Shaman Back!" scene in this movie just rocks.

I'm glad I broke into the stash for something special to watch this one.  I was pulling gut muscles from laughter for an hour and a half, and none worse than when 'you know who' showed up to get shot gunned to pieces.  Satirical on too many levels to even count.  

bigfoot.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

Totally agree with you.  Probably my favorite supporting actor of all-time.  No matter the era, he always brought credibility to his performances.  The "Back Shaman Back!" scene in this movie just rocks.

Indeed it does! Apparently, he had psychological/emotional issues as many actors do) which prevented him from breaking through as a top tier film lead. I'm glad he kept going though. Have you seen "A Deadly Affair" from 1967? He plays George Smiley from the Tinker Tailor books. He was born to play that role, just like he was born to play Hubert Humphrey.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

Saw this at Grauman's Chinese Theatre tonight. If only "The Song Remains the Same" had been as well-filmed as this.

TheDoors_OS_Vintage-1040x1536.thumb.jpg.6a6c361a9e05eebb482a1313f9fc0c8d.jpg

I was reading about this last night - Yahoo had an article about it on the home page (yes, I get "infotainment" from Yahoo lol). I immediately thought, "Strider's gonna be all over this" 😛 Great that you got to see it on the big screen!

Edited by 1975NQ

On 11/5/2021 at 9:39 AM, 1975NQ said:

I was reading about this last night - Yahoo had an article about it on the home page (yes, I get "infotainment" from Yahoo lol). I immediately thought, "Strider's gonna be all over this" 😛 Great that you got to see it on the big screen!

I guess that is a compliment, hehe. You're not stalking me, are you? 😝

I frequently find documentaries more interesting than feature films these days. Just not into comic book/video game movies and contemporary people/society seems lame. Give me Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Cagney, Robert Mitchum, Steve McQueen, Lawrence Tierney, Lee Marvin, Charlie Bronson, Clint Eastwood anyday. I caught up with these two new documentaries at the American Cinematheque this week.
"Val" moved me more than I expected…I had no idea about Val Kilmer's throat cancer and his current health situation. His son does the voice-over and he sounds just like his dad. Great video footage of Val's early years at Julliard and New York theatre, with Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon. Val even made audition tapes for Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket" and Scorsese's "Goodfellas". He flew to England to hand-deliver the tape to Stanley Kubrick. The amount of video reels and writings that Val has amassed over the years is substantial…his storage fees must be astronomical. 
"Cusp" is a documentary that follows three teenage girls during a summer in rural Texas hanging out with friends and going to parties. Watching movies about teenagers used to be fun. Watching the free-spirited youth of whatever era had a nostalgic tinge of wistfulness. Even when there was trouble or tragedy, one could generally find some ray of hope about the future. That these kids and their lives would get better.
But that has changed since the 2000s. Like most films dealing with contemporary youth (from about 2003's "Thirteen" on), especially teen girls, "Cusp" is sad and depressing. The constant threat of sexual assault/harassment is pervasive in all of these movies and there is an overall sense of dead-end ennui in their lives, with all of the constant vaping and getting high and staring into their electronic gadgets. One never watches a movie about kids today and wishes they were a kid again.
251921055_3463293160563767_2313483767240843125_n.thumb.jpg.0e5483cfc8032f336e9a7f2d96708691.jpg
251838647_3463293290563754_4624723540475253736_n.jpg.f08ba0c2eefd9be77341c85ffe9b4a47.jpg
Edited by Strider

12 minutes ago, Strider said:

I guess that is a compliment, hehe. You're not stalking me, are you? 😝

Yes I am - look out your window muuahhaaaahaaa. Naw, just seems like you're into movies from the posts I've seen, especially ones in and about LA music scene. 

6 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

GREAT flick!  

Yeah it's one of my all-time favs. Saw it on the big screen at age 10, and it blew my mind. I love the dreaminess of it, and the actors really have fun with it but still deliver performances that stick. John Boorman the director def reached deep and made something here that was normally a bit outside his own abilities. I love it when creative types do that.

Thanks to the American Cinematheque, I got to see Stanley Nelson's new "Attica" documentary on the big screen last night. All the better to see the horror and shame in detail.
I remember when the Attica uprising/massacre/cover-up happened in September 1971 and it was even taught about in my high school social studies/history classes. It was a big, big deal. A shameful stain in American history. A case where the American reality failed to live up to the American ideal.
But when I asked ten or so kids at random about Attica on my way to work this morning, not a one had any clue about what Attica was or meant.

22001thumb_0.jpg.3319d113460b8dfe219c2cce597f8118.jpg

Rewatched my fav movie last night for something like the 200th time - Eyes Wide Shut. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it. Every time I watch it, I see something new. It's like being immersed in a Jungian dream, got more layers than Aunt Judy's Christmas Lasagna

image.jpeg.8a538b37d8d8f53a0e35ea2661973b9b.jpeg