Jump to content

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies


bigstickbonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Classics through and through. 50 years ago for I and 48 years ago for II.

👍

How is the neighborhood around the Beverly Cinema? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, paul carruthers said:

 

You would be correct, sir. After watching "Swing Parade," plus some of those Bela Lugosi pot boilers he made at Monogram, I've put that studio on my personal blacklist of shit to avoid, along with anything that has the name Ed Wood attached to it....  <_<

Monogram was one of those Poverty Row studios. Not that Poverty Row didn't put out a good picture now and then, but it usually was a high percentage of crap. 

By the way, where Monogram used to be is now the Scientology Media Center.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, redrum said:

Good movie. Fuckin' hypes. 

BORN TO WIN.jpg

Who doesn’t Love George Segal, and Rip Torn? All those wonderful actors from the 70’s with substance. Stacy Keach. What a different time. Gary Busey in the Buddy Holly story. Amazing movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently watched a couple of my childhood favorite movies that my Pops and older brother and I used to watch. Sadly they both left this earth way to young, but Police Academy 1 and 2. Great movies. And then Stripes. What a funny movie that is. And all of the nudity that those 80’s movies had. What the hell happened to that. Now it is all so safe. Im going to throw on the Big Lebowski. I remember seeing that in the movie theater. Shorline amphitheater. Great place to see movies 🎥 

 

Cheers to you all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to see this with the guys today. Cheesy summer movie, as expected. At least they didn't have a tranny pilot. But what was up with the anonymous enemy? Seriously...not one mention of who or what country the target was and you never even saw their faces or heard them speak.

Nice to see Val Kilmer get a scene. Kelly McGillis was MIA. Guess she's too old now. 

The Lady Gaga song at the end sucked. It'll be forgotten in five minutes while Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" will live on.

MV5BMmIwZDMyYWUtNTU0ZS00ODJhLTg2ZmEtMTk5ZmYzODcxODYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_-1.thumb.jpg.c50d3690d83196f6863776cbaf67d3de.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2022 at 8:48 PM, Plant77 said:

Who doesn’t Love George Segal, and Rip Torn? All those wonderful actors from the 70’s with substance. Stacy Keach. What a different time. Gary Busey in the Buddy Holly story. Amazing movie. 

Karen Black was also in Born To Win. She got set-up by Deniro (who played a cop). Hector Elizondo was the pusher. He gave Segal a hot shot that his friend took by accident and it killed him dead. Ruthless bastards. 

KAREN BLACK-BORN TO WIN.jpg

HECTOR ELIZONDO.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Strider said:

Went to see this with the guys today. Cheesy summer movie, as expected. At least they didn't have a tranny pilot. But what was up with the anonymous enemy? Seriously...not one mention of who or what country the target was and you never even saw their faces or heard them speak.

Nice to see Val Kilmer get a scene. Kelly McGillis was MIA. Guess she's too old now. 

The Lady Gaga song at the end sucked. It'll be forgotten in five minutes while Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" will live on.

MV5BMmIwZDMyYWUtNTU0ZS00ODJhLTg2ZmEtMTk5ZmYzODcxODYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_-1.thumb.jpg.c50d3690d83196f6863776cbaf67d3de.jpg

Milking the old cow. Wouldn't waste my money on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, redrum said:

Karen Black was also in Born To Win. She got set-up by Deniro (who played a cop). Hector Elizondo was the pusher. He gave Segal a hot shot that his friend took by accident and it killed him dead. Ruthless bastards. 

KAREN BLACK-BORN TO WIN.jpg

HECTOR ELIZONDO.jpg

Great movie. Both Segal and Elizondo were also great comediac actors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More movies I went to see in the merry month of May (part one), including the last two films of the Takashi Shimura retrospective.

E5I12ZlXMAcyWJL.jpg-large.thumb.jpeg.31af4d44bf2b73f851080c3ee58c8ad5.jpeg

MV5BMTNhY2MyNmYtNzczZi00YWEyLWJlYTgtYzZiMzM1NDE0ZjYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.14256393e986294d943603b693833bc1.jpg

51tm9zQxiWL.jpg.fe9be2e0bdc4282010c629f7eca0ceba.jpg

2EDDD6enA6xMSNddzQoid6DkIjU.jpg.ed478a0f1b80796a34c9a35bf95613a7.jpg

A surprising Blaxploitation picture directed by long-time Hollywood stalwart Henry Hathaway.

super-dude-baltzgar.jpg.f41921ebeca823e4f8f0cc29c149236d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Sometimes, I just like to revisit the old chestnuts I discovered as a kid & I've always been fond of this one--in spite of its inherit flaws....

 

 

 

spacer.png

The poster is slightly better than the movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The merry movies of May. Part Deux.

"The Day the Earth Caught Fire" was an incredible British film directed by Val Guest. Still timely and relevant to our day. Seek it out if you can. 

MV5BZjZmYTUxZDktZDA5YS00OTE0LWFjZWItNjc1ZDU1Mjg5YmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.thumb.jpg.0ee9ffcdf66c5caa1cd39a07b7d4c1e1.jpg

One of my favourite Mickey Rooney performances ever. And great location driving footage from Malibu to Palm Springs. And the street I used to live on in Hollywood.

MV5BOTAwOWVjYzYtY2IxZC00NzE0LTk1MWItZTQwNzA2MWRkNGM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTk5MzY@._V1_.jpg.5de05e7c0735be5f6223688b4ad751aa.jpg

MV5BNGZmMmMxY2MtY2Y4NS00Y2JmLTg1YmQtNzBjNDczYjUyZjgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.a7a81a64655143bda4aca6d037b1e03f.jpg

MV5BYjIxNjczNmEtNDAzYi00MDcyLWExZTYtYTc2NDZlMDA2MzAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.6cea320ca234339421e82da105c470fd.jpg

MOV406265__10825.1541650913.thumb.jpg.25b018aa97dfc6f43bcdadbf0edd866e.jpg

death_wish_4_1987_original_film_art_8cf2a9eb-4962-4a7a-b241-33fa63fa2bd1_1200x.thumb.jpg.bf2f2a099461b12e2a2a4b9f99f24630.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Strider said:

The merry movies of May. Part Deux.

"The Day the Earth Caught Fire" was an incredible British film directed by Val Guest. Still timely and relevant to our day. Seek it out if you can. 

MV5BZjZmYTUxZDktZDA5YS00OTE0LWFjZWItNjc1ZDU1Mjg5YmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.thumb.jpg.0ee9ffcdf66c5caa1cd39a07b7d4c1e1.jpg

One of my favourite Mickey Rooney performances ever. And great location driving footage from Malibu to Palm Springs. And the street I used to live on in Hollywood.

MV5BOTAwOWVjYzYtY2IxZC00NzE0LTk1MWItZTQwNzA2MWRkNGM3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTk5MzY@._V1_.jpg.5de05e7c0735be5f6223688b4ad751aa.jpg

MV5BNGZmMmMxY2MtY2Y4NS00Y2JmLTg1YmQtNzBjNDczYjUyZjgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.thumb.jpg.a7a81a64655143bda4aca6d037b1e03f.jpg

MV5BYjIxNjczNmEtNDAzYi00MDcyLWExZTYtYTc2NDZlMDA2MzAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkwMjQ5NzM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.thumb.jpg.6cea320ca234339421e82da105c470fd.jpg

MOV406265__10825.1541650913.thumb.jpg.25b018aa97dfc6f43bcdadbf0edd866e.jpg

death_wish_4_1987_original_film_art_8cf2a9eb-4962-4a7a-b241-33fa63fa2bd1_1200x.thumb.jpg.bf2f2a099461b12e2a2a4b9f99f24630.jpg

 

All great movies. Jagged Edge was awesome. Ninja III with Ms Dickey. Every kid who grew up in the late 70’s through the early 1980’s loved Sho Kusiji. I always wanted a Ninja outfit. Eastern Promises is a great slightly weird movie. And Charles B. That guy was rad. A great early 1990’s movie with Viggo directed by Sean Penn is the Indian Runner. That as well is a great and strange movie with Charles Bronson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Completing my round-up of movies seen in the month of May. Part 3. 

I am not well-versed in Korean cinema. Bong Joon-ho and Park Chan-wook being the primary Korean directors I am familiar with. So it was nice to take advantage of the American Cinematheque's mini-festival of Hong Sang-soo films last month. Hong's films are less violent than Bong's and Park's...quieter and more prone to dialogue and drinking than action and fighting. In fact, there is a lot of drinking in Hong's films...and people seem to be able to walk into bars and just help themselves. Weird. These are the five I saw from oldest (2000's "Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors") to latest (2021's "In Front of Your Face"). They all had their good points but I liked "The Day He Arrived" and "In Front of Your Face" best. Sadly, the star of "Virgin Stripped Bare...", Lee Eun-ju, killed herself in 2005, only 24 years old.

photo840519.jpg.c6ec3583c12f8fa750e4023af25bfb6a.jpg

Hahaha-2010.jpg.f80f754a61c00911c9ca218356cd65e7.jpg

The-Day-He-Arrives-2011.thumb.jpg.e88f9638f9c1bfa9c8eb3d87a522c9fc.jpg

MV5BMjAzMjYyMjUxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTIwNDM5NDM@._V1_.thumb.jpg.7d2e208741e50792a6240457e2be7e77.jpg

MV5BY2IwOTEzN2YtZWY3Ni00MjU5LWFkNGYtN2JhNDBmZWVhY2QxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE5NDI3ODE@._V1_.thumb.jpg.edc3b9295a5cfad1a9a368657edd73aa.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...