I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Tarantino's movies are all about characters, dialogue, stylized violence... comedy.

Not brutal, altra real, rise-fall, drug fueled, guns blazing : Which to me are "Gangster or Crime" movies. But I guess technicaly Res and Pulp are "Crime" but...

I just don't see Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs as "Gangster Movies" and it always bugs me when I see them listed on those kind of lists.

Well...the characters are gangsters.

So to me they're gangster movies.

Sorry, but what did you expect me to say to this?

"Sorry, you obviously know so much more about movies than I do so I'm going to change my mind"?

:huh:

Robo and I got to go to an early screening of the Kite Runner. (Her english class read the book, so they all went and brought people and stuff.) It was absolutely amazing. I don't know when it actually comes out, but when it does, you should all go and see it.

I saw The Song Remains The Same. I know I've said that alot but I was so excited, it was an expirence I won't soon forget.

Ditch the 'fantasy sequences' and keep the concert stuff with extra material and you've got a kick-ass concert movie.

Now, I don't know what to say here, so I'm gonna say this:

Any horror fan worth her/his salt should go see Suspiria!!

Mkay?

Robo and I got to go to an early screening of the Kite Runner. (Her english class read the book, so they all went and brought people and stuff.) It was absolutely amazing. I don't know when it actually comes out, but when it does, you should all go and see it.

I'm so glad to hear that. The book was absolutely incredible - sad and uplifting at the same time. His follow up book A Thousand Splendid Suns was just as moving. I think the movie doesn't open by me for a couple more weeks but I do intend to see it.

No Country For Old Men Spoiler Warning!!!!

Okay, I've just seen No Country For Old Men, and I wanted to post my thoughts about it. In the beginning, you really feel that the whole thing is kind of a straight up western- but in the last section of the movie, it becomes clear how metaphorical the movie is, how everything in it may just be a dream in Tommy Lee Jones' head, his struggle with aging and mortality.

At first, I really wanted to see the villain, Anton Chigurh, get taken out. I thought "No man is impossible to kill or escape! And more importantly- I know it's the 70's and all, but that hair! So awful! This dude has to go DOWN!" :rant:

arts_old-men_392.jpg

But then, after the movie took it's big left turn with the death of who we *think* is the main character, I started to think about the movie more symbolically, what the weaponry of Chigurh- the pressurized cow killer- might represent in the mind of Tommy Lee Jones, what all the cryptic cross references might mean. And then it dawned on me:

arts_old-men_392.jpg

=

DeathSeventhSeal.png

For those who don't know, the dude in the second picture is Death in Ingmar Bergman's classic the Seventh Seal. It all makes sense: Chigurh's awful hair is in fact his cowl, together with his all black clothing evoiking the shrowd of death. He is death incarnate. Take it a step further- his esoteric weapon, the pressurized cow killer is not a martial weapon, but a practical tool like the scythe of the classical grim reaper. When I was looking for an image of Chigurh, I ran across this poster for the movie. Look at the tag line:

no_country_for_old_men_poster.jpg

There are no clean getaways from death itself, indeed. Think of the characters in the movie that "always say the same thing"- bargaining uselessly with death as we all inevitably will in our darkest moments.

Now, my take on the movie isn't fully formed. I really have to see it again- it's the rare movie that I see, good or bad, that I don't feel like I fully understand on a single viewing. But this is one, and I want to go back fully armed with my theory and see if I find elements to support it. Also- I have to admit to not actually having seen the Seventh Seal- I just recognized the imagery. Anyone who has seen it have anything to add here? And what do you all think in general? Discuss.

P.S. I wonder if Chigurh or elements of Anton Chigurh means anything in another language . . .