I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Aw man, that is such a bummer about Righteous Kill. I mean, we all knew it would suck (except Messrs. De Niro and Pacino, apparently), but ugh, it's still a bummer. I love the heck out of those two, and I didn't think there was anything in the world that could keep me away from seeing a movie with both of them in it, but here I am, saying that I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. Thanks a lot, Avnet.

Despite that, I am somewhere in the clouds right now as I have been continuing on the path to complete Gene Kelly obsession by watching Anchors Aweigh. You know, there are lots of inanimate objects that, for whatever reason, have sex appeal in their own right, like Ferraris, saxophones, high heels, etc. I never thought of a telephone as one of those things, but holy mother of mercy, do I think so now! Watching Gene do his thang with that phone... Hot. Damn. Yeah, I think I've pretty much made it to the level of "totally obsessed." :goes to take cold shower:

Yeah, Avnet can't direct himself out of a paper bag. But it's not even that it was bad, it was sloppy, where you don't get the sense they made the most of even a bad situation. In "88 Minutes" for example, Al's character get a phone call indoors, and by the time they cut to the outdoor shot as he runs out onto the street his hair is a different style and colour. You'd think somebody would notice, right? De Niro first signed on to "Righteous Kill" and it was supposed to be one of those older experienced cop/young apprentice type of movie. Then Pacino signed on and guess what? They didn't even bother changing the script however slightly so that it didn't sound so awkward when Al's character tells De Niro's how he has looked up to him in his career, has been like a mentor to him etc, etc. It was so weird to hear that, it really stood out in a bad way. And I didn't even know at that point that it was to be the veteran cop/rookie cop vehicle. Those are just a couple of smaller examples, the larger problems speak for themselves. It's that kind of sloppiness throughout both that make you feel like somebody really had to actively not give a shit to get those results. I asked for my money back after "88 Minutes" :P and got a free voucher. That was the best part.

It's a well known scene, that Gene Kelly one, and so even though I've not seen the whole movie I know which one you mean. Can't say a phone quite does it for me, but I know what you mean about inanimate object having sex appeal. Helllooo Pagey's Gibson??? Raaaarrr! If I believed in reincarnation I'd come back as that or Horowitz's Steinway. *sigh*

I've been really into older silent movies though some are hard to find. Most are well worth the effort, though...

Cheers,

P

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, Avnet can't direct himself out of a paper bag. But it's not even that it was bad, it was sloppy, where you don't get the sense they made the most of even a bad situation. In "88 Minutes" for example, Al's character get a phone call indoors, and by the time they cut to the outdoor shot as he runs out onto the street his hair is a different style and colour. You'd think somebody would notice, right? De Niro first signed on to "Righteous Kill" and it was supposed to be one of those older experienced cop/young apprentice type of movie. Then Pacino signed on and guess what? They didn't even bother changing the script however slightly so that it didn't sound so awkward when Al's character tells De Niro's how he has looked up to him in his career, has been like a mentor to him etc, etc. It was so weird to hear that, it really stood out in a bad way. And I didn't even know at that point that it was to be the veteran cop/rookie cop vehicle. Those are just a couple of smaller examples, the larger problems speak for themselves. It's that kind of sloppiness throughout both that make you feel like somebody really had to actively not give a shit to get those results. I asked for my money back after "88 Minutes" :P and got a free voucher. That was the best part.

It's a well known scene, that Gene Kelly one, and so even though I've not seen the whole movie I know which one you mean. Can't say a phone quite does it for me, but I know what you mean about inanimate object having sex appeal. Helllooo Pagey's Gibson??? Raaaarrr! If I believed in reincarnation I'd come back as that or Horowitz's Steinway. *sigh*

I've been really into older silent movies though some are hard to find. Most are well worth the effort, though...

Cheers,

P

Oops, sorry I didn't see this sooner! Was out of town (again!) last week. Aw jeez, that's SO lame about Pacino's awkward lines. If I were De Niro, I think I would have ad-libbed a little at that point..."Hey, hold on a sec, how old do you think I am, exactly? You're no spring chicken yourself, pal!" :D Good grief.

Oh, oh - Pagey's Gibson, YES! That is exactly what I'm talking about, hehehe! :wub:

I've been watching Flesh and the Devil with Greta Garbo and John Gilbert on YouTube (I'm about halfway through). This is the first silent film I've ever seen (besides bits and pieces of Charlie Chaplin movies). It's definitely a different experience, but worth it, like you said. What are your favorites?

Oh - and the original reason I came here was to gush about L.A. Confidential. I FINALLY saw it after all these years, and it was awesome! Definitely one of my new favorite movies. The characters were great, and I just love noir (classic or retro...this obviously being retro). Cool story...nothing really complicated, but the way it unfolded kept you on your toes anyway. Having now seen this and A Beautiful Mind, I finally get the hype about Russell Crowe. I think I'll watch it again tomorrow. Right now I'm either going to finish watching Captain Blood with Errol Flynn or Key Largo. Hmm.

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

Went to see Appaloosa a few days ago. It wasn't bad. Wasn't that good either.

Renee Zelleweger annoys me and Ed Harris' character isn't such the badass I hoped he would be.

Some of the music score didn't fit in my opinion.

It's slightly unconventional for a western, but it's decent. I'd suggest the matinée if you want to see it in theaters.

The Djarleeing Limited actually contained the typical cast from every Wes Anderson movie. To like his movies you just need a real peculiar taste I suppose. It's the quirkiness that everyone seems to fawn over, but I find it's mostly just humdrum trying too hard to be smart and funny than anything. I really don't like that guy or his movies, sorry..

I'd say its a bit more towards comedy than alot of his stuff, mainly because Owen Wilson has a pretty big role. I have to admit my jaw hit the floor when Natalie Portman turned up in the short film on the DVD extra's aswell. :o

Just finished watching The Godfather

and I LOVE it.

Did you watch all of them? Godfather 3 has Andy Garcia in it!

So Conan O'Brien just announced the number one movie in the country right now is:

Beverly Hills Chihuahua (lol) ... more Andy Garcia and also Drew Barrymore.

Any one see it? lol.

Oops, sorry I didn't see this sooner! Was out of town (again!) last week. Aw jeez, that's SO lame about Pacino's awkward lines. If I were De Niro, I think I would have ad-libbed a little at that point..."Hey, hold on a sec, how old do you think I am, exactly? You're no spring chicken yourself, pal!" :D Good grief.

Oh, oh - Pagey's Gibson, YES! That is exactly what I'm talking about, hehehe! :wub:

I've been watching Flesh and the Devil with Greta Garbo and John Gilbert on YouTube (I'm about halfway through). This is the first silent film I've ever seen (besides bits and pieces of Charlie Chaplin movies). It's definitely a different experience, but worth it, like you said. What are your favorites?

Oh - and the original reason I came here was to gush about L.A. Confidential. I FINALLY saw it after all these years, and it was awesome! Definitely one of my new favorite movies. The characters were great, and I just love noir (classic or retro...this obviously being retro). Cool story...nothing really complicated, but the way it unfolded kept you on your toes anyway. Having now seen this and A Beautiful Mind, I finally get the hype about Russell Crowe. I think I'll watch it again tomorrow. Right now I'm either going to finish watching Captain Blood with Errol Flynn or Key Largo. Hmm.

My turn for apologies for delayed response :oops: . Loved LA Confidential, too. Crowe, though a tad touchy in interviews, really doesn't ever mail it in, which is great. It gives you a sense that you can at least count a good performance in his movies if all else fails. Looking forward to his new one with DiCaprio "Body of Lies".

I've been trying to get my hands on Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" (where CC speaks, pretty rare for a silent movie actor lol) but haven't found it yet. I loved, laughed and got a bit misty eyed with "The Kid" and "City Lights", and really liked "The Most Dangerous Game". I have noted down the Flynn (Robin Hood!) flick you mentioned, thanks, since I'm woefully behind on oldies, both silent and talkies. I also haven't found the reedited version of "Citizen Kane" (apparently the version Welles wanted but couldn't get, and the notes and cut scenes were subsequently found) which is supposed to be awesome.

How come you're watching these on YouTube? Is that a last resort or just the most expedient one lol? I try to find dvd's at the libraries around here, it's free and there's a decent selection. By the way, slightly off topic, but there are some cool YouTube snippets from performances by Chaplin's grandson, James Thierree, who grew up in a French circus tradition. I love stuff like this (especially the first two):

James Thierree

Oh, and I'd also add Jonesy's bass/keyboard/ bass lap steel (God what's that instrument called :bagoverhead:) to the gush list while we're at it :wub::blush:

I saw it on Saturday too and those were my exact thoughts. I was expecting something a bit more deep and meaningful after the reviews. It had it's good moment's though.

How could anyone not just adore "Juno"??? It has Michael Cera!!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just saw the first one. I'll see the second one on Saturday.

I'm spacing them out

I would pass on part 3 if i were you. It's pretty bad. The acting is bad and the story is bad. Just pretend the story ends after part 2.

I would pass on part 3 if i were you. It's pretty bad. The acting is bad and the story is bad. Just pretend the story ends after part 2.

Not really to the first one, only Sophia Coppola was mediocre, and what did people expect given that she's not actually an actress? Francis Ford Coppola chose her because Winona Ryder got panic attacks just before shooting and they couldn't delay production looking for a replacement. Maybe people don't care about that, the end result is the end result, but really, she was the only less polished actor there.

Definitely not to the second part. It mirrors the opera they're going to see at the end in terms of structure, content and style. That ending part with Pacino's silent scream is one of my all time favourite editing choices of all time.

The good far outweighs the bad about it, imo.

Edited by Patrycja

Ghost Town: quite enjoyable, despite the familiar plot. Surprised it hasn't done well at the box office.

Nights in Rodanthe: Ouch. The cinematic equivalent of a romance novel unfortunately, despite strong performances from the leads Richard Gere, Diane Lane, and a beautiful Jaguar XK.

• 2 weeks later...
Ghost Town: quite enjoyable, despite the familiar plot. Surprised it hasn't done well at the box office.

Nights in Rodanthe: Ouch. The cinematic equivalent of a romance novel unfortunately, despite strong performances from the leads Richard Gere, Diane Lane, and a beautiful Jaguar XK.

A buddy of mine's girlfriend tried to drag his ass to that Richard Gere nonsense. Luckily he did not agree to go.

Thankfully it bombed.

Not really to the first one, only Sophia Coppola was mediocre, and what did people expect given that she's not actually an actress? Francis Ford Coppola chose her because Winona Ryder got panic attacks just before shooting and they couldn't delay production looking for a replacement. Maybe people don't care about that, the end result is the end result, but really, she was the only less polished actor there.

Definitely not to the second part. It mirrors the opera they're going to see at the end in terms of structure, content and style. That ending part with Pacino's silent scream is one of my all time favourite editing choices of all time.

The good far outweighs the bad about it, imo.

I thought the whole thing was overacted or badly acted. Andy garcia was trying to hard. They replaced Robert Duvall with George Hamilton. :o:o Michael's sister Connie starts ordering hits and participating in them. :o:o Andy Garcia's pretty boy bodyguard twins. The list goes on.