I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I haven't seen the original version of Scarface (1932), but I really like the re-make which Al Pacino starred in. He's one of my favorite actors. :D Try Netflix, they may have the original on CD Rom before purchasing the DVD.

Oh believe me, I need no convincing to see a Pacino film. I even sat through "Bobby Deerfield" yikes (sorry Al). I love the De Palma remake, too :D I don't even know whether Netflix is available in Canada, never looked into it since I just get movies from the library and watch them for free so that if they're terrible, I wasted only time, not time and money ;). They just happen not to have the original "Scarface" so I thought I'd look into alternatives. Thanks for the suggestion, PennyLane.

Edited by Patrycja

I'm having a 'Dirty Harry Fest' at home. :lol:

The movies were at the supermarket for 10 bucks each, so I got:

Dirty Harry

Magnum Force

The Enforcer

Sudden Impact

Great humor in the films and I love them running all over my hometown SF. :D

Oh believe me, I need no convincing to see a Pacino film. I even sat through "Bobby Deerfield" yikes (sorry Al). I love the De Palma remake, too :D

Oh, hi Patrycja! I agree: Pacino is great! I remember your other post about The Merchant Of Venice--great version! I also like the actress Lynn Collins. I had the great fortune to see her as Rosalind in As You Like It in the free Shakespeare In The Park production (Delacorte Theatre, Central Park, NYC), about three summers ago. Richard Thomas (John-Boy) played the silly jester. He had me doubled over! Also, the actress who played Celia was so wonderful. Loved it! ;)

Oh, hi Patrycja! I agree: Pacino is great! I remember your other post about The Merchant Of Venice--great version! I also like the actress Lynn Collins. I had the great fortune to see her as Rosalind in As You Like It in the free Shakespeare In The Park production (Delacorte Theatre, Central Park, NYC), about three summers ago. Richard Thomas (John-Boy) played the silly jester. He had me doubled over! Also, the actress who played Celia was so wonderful. Loved it! ;)

:wave: Fan S! You are sooo lucky to be near SITP. Nice that you like theatre, too. I love that Pacino has continued to do theatre throughout his career. I've yet to see him live in a production (the closest was in the "Pacino: An Actor's Vision" box set which has theatre/film hybrids, for lack of better description, and is excellent, by the way). It's surprising how many actors do small productions in between big movies. Then again, other excellent actors -- Brando, DeNiro -- wouldn't touch a stage with a ten foot pole. Go figure.

It sounds as if you can relate some experiences in the 'theatre' thread :) (the more the merrier)

So back to film (via Pacino, we've come full circle lol)-- he's said to be joining casts in "King Lear" (also to be directed by Radford), playing Herod in "Mary the Mother of Christ", the central character in a Dali flick, and the latest is an adaptation of the book Blink which is said to be co-starring DiCaprio. Phew! Even at 69, there's just no slowing the guy down.

I am seeing "Angels & Demons" tomorrow.

:wave: Fan S! You are sooo lucky to be near SITP. Nice that you like theatre, too. I love that Pacino has continued to do theatre throughout his career. I've yet to see him live in a production (the closest was in the "Pacino: An Actor's Vision" box set which has theatre/film hybrids, for lack of better description, and is excellent, by the way). It's surprising how many actors do small productions in between big movies. Then again, other excellent actors -- Brando, DeNiro -- wouldn't touch a stage with a ten foot pole. Go figure.

It sounds as if you can relate some experiences in the 'theatre' thread :) (the more the merrier)

So back to film (via Pacino, we've come full circle lol)-- he's said to be joining casts in "King Lear" (also to be directed by Radford), playing Herod in "Mary the Mother of Christ", the central character in a Dali flick, and the latest is an adaptation of the book Blink which is said to be co-starring DiCaprio. Phew! Even at 69, there's just no slowing the guy down.

I am seeing "Angels & Demons" tomorrow.

Hello again, Patrycja! :) Speaking of Pacino live, back in the early 80s, I saw him in the old Roundabout theatre in the play American Buffalo - hey, he's even better live! What presence! For my birthday, my co-worker (and friend) gave me the Scent Of A Woman DVD. I have yet to see it. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. ha ha.

Hey, that's good news re: Pacino in King Lear. Can't wait! Wonder who will play the three sisters?

Toodles! And hope you enjoy Angels & Demons. ;)

Hello again, Patrycja! :)Speaking of Pacino live, back in the early 80s, I saw him in the old Roundabout theatre in the play American Buffalo - hey, he's even better live! What presence! For my birthday, my co-worker (and friend) gave me the Scent Of A Woman DVD. I have yet to see it. Maybe I'll watch it tonight. ha ha.

Hey, that's good news re: Pacino in King Lear. Can't wait! Wonder who will play the three sisters?

Toodles! And hope you enjoy Angels & Demons. ;)

:o:faint1: Ooooooh I am so jealous I can almost taste it!!! *groans*

Saw "Angels and Demons" today. Don't know what the book is like, but oh Lord it had such bad character development it was insulting. Now I'm pissed off I spent money on it. I mean the intrigue with the Illuminati is interesting, seeing the Vatican inside (even if they had to recreate it), details of Renaissance artists, etc. was interesting. But when you hint towards one guy being bad throughout the whole movie, and make another one seem innocent throughout, then with a flashback place the whole blame on him -- bad, bad, BAAAAAAD. Fuck!

Saw "Angels and Demons" today. Don't know what the book is like, but oh Lord it had such bad character development it was insulting. Now I'm pissed off I spent money on it. I mean the intrigue with the Illuminati is interesting, seeing the Vatican inside (even if they had to recreate it), details of Renaissance artists, etc. was interesting. But when you hint towards one guy being bad throughout the whole movie, and make another one seem innocent throughout, then with a flashback place the whole blame on him -- bad, bad, BAAAAAAD. Fuck!

Oh, hi Patrycja!

Sorry you didn't enjoy Angels and Demons. Maybe, if you want, purge yourself by watching the DVD of good ol' Godfather I. Hope you have a beautiful evening!

BTW, I'm still soooo looking forward to Al Pacino in King Lear! Yet, I dread the usual part re: gouging (Regan, the b...., inflicting harm on poor Gloucester, if you catch my drift...) Poor guy. ;)

Also, I heard that Twelfth Night's coming to "free" Shakespeare in the Park this summer. It's always been one of my faves!

Oh, hi Patrycja!

Sorry you didn't enjoy Angels and Demons. Maybe, if you want, purge yourself by watching the DVD of good ol' Godfather I. Hope you have a beautiful evening!

BTW, I'm still soooo looking forward to Al Pacino in King Lear! Yet, I dread the usual part re: gouging (Regan, the b...., inflicting harm on poor Gloucester, if you catch my drift...) Poor guy. ;)

Also, I heard that Twelfth Night's coming to "free" Shakespeare in the Park this summer. It's always been one of my faves!

Hey, Fan S, thanks, I guess I'm over it now. I just wanted to like it a lot more and felt cheated at the end. It wasn't the fact that the 'good' guy was really the bad guy, it's how they got there.

Anyway, on to better subjects: Pacino mmmmm.....you know, he's been accused of mailing it in in some of his recent work. But it seems when the project is really important he's phenomenal. That final scene where he consents to conversion to Christianity in "Merchant" is so moving and authentic it leaves a lump in your throat. So current in many ways too, that feeling of being forced into accepting something impossibly dreadful as a last resort...

Here's an article from Variety with a bit more Lear info:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799954...query=king+lear

Do me a favour: if you get wind of his appearing on stage in NY please let me know. I have to see it. Thanks :beer:

I hope you enjoy "Twelfth Night", always a summer favourite :)

Hey, Fan S, thanks, I guess I'm over it now. I just wanted to like it a lot more and felt cheated at the end. It wasn't the fact that the 'good' guy was really the bad guy, it's how they got there.

Anyway, on to better subjects: Pacino mmmmm.....you know, he's been accused of mailing it in in some of his recent work. But it seems when the project is really important he's phenomenal. That final scene where he consents to conversion to Christianity in "Merchant" is so moving and authentic it leaves a lump in your throat. So current in many ways too, that feeling of being forced into accepting something impossibly dreadful as a last resort...

Here's an article from Variety with a bit more Lear info:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799954...query=king+lear

Do me a favour: if you get wind of his appearing on stage in NY please let me know. I have to see it. Thanks :beer:

I hope you enjoy "Twelfth Night", always a summer favourite :)

Good evening to you, Patrycja! Hey, thanks for the Variety article. I enjoyed it! If I hear anything of Pacino coming to a NY stage, I'll let ya know--no problem.

Re: bad plot of "Angels", yeah, I know what you mean. I hate it when the writing is lame.

BTW, did you like Star Trek? I wouldn't mind it if they came out with a movie soon with the Captain Picard crew.

Speaking of Shakespeare, (lol! like that segue? what segue?) I regret that I missed Patrick Stewart's version of Macbeth @ the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Stupid me! The husband says it was superb! Especially @ the end of Act I and into Act II. It was brilliantly interpreted:

End of Act I: one of Macbeth's victim's ghost appears during Macbeth's soliloquy.

Intermission.

Beginning of Act II: same scene, Macbeth still there alone, no ghost. Unforgettable! :mellow:

BTW, did you like Star Trek? I wouldn't mind it if they came out with a movie soon with the Captain Picard crew.

You never can tell but I get the impression they're done with those for a while. If anything, we'll see a continuation of the current Star Trek crew next.

I saw Angels and Demons today and it was true to the book, fast paced, strong cast, plenty of action, good locations, cinematography and special effects.

Bad character development?

To each their own, you can't please everyone.

Skaarsgard and McGregor were good casting.

As with any "who dunnit", there are always red herrings and probable suspects to confuse the audience.

I thought it was good but not great and maybe there will be an extended DVD version released down the track.

I'm looking forward to Browns next book, The Lost Symbol in September which no doubt will make it to the big screen.

My advice is read the book before you see the movie adaptation of it, period.

BTW, there is already a movie featuring Picard and crew, Star Trek: Generations.

Good evening to you, Patrycja! Hey, thanks for the Variety article. I enjoyed it! If I hear anything of Pacino coming to a NY stage, I'll let ya know--no problem.

Re: bad plot of "Angels", yeah, I know what you mean. I hate it when the writing is lame.

Speaking of Shakespeare, (lol! like that segue? what segue?) I regret that I missed Patrick Stewart's version of Macbeth @ the Brooklyn Academy of Music. Stupid me! The husband says it was superb! Especially @ the end of Act I and into Act II. It was brilliantly interpreted:

End of Act I: one of Macbeth's victim's ghost appears during Macbeth's soliloquy.

Intermission.

Beginning of Act II: same scene, Macbeth still there alone, no ghost. Unforgettable! :mellow:

Hey Fan S :) You see, as much as we have the second largest theatre district in North America, every time I hear a story like yours, I think the city with the largest theatre district is a great place to visit.

I saw a production of Macbeth in Stratford, England and although it polarized audiences (they either loved it or hated it), the staging was incredible. The stage was raised slightly, so that when Macbeth and his wife were lit, her shadow was taller than his when she was convincing him to do the deed. After he does it, their shadows were even, and later when killing became easy for him, his shadow was larger. For all its flaws, that was awesome and unforgettable.

Patrick Stewart is great. Star Trek The Next Generation was my favourite of the series, and though I'd love to see a movie of that thread of the enterprise, regrettably I doubt it'll happen. Another project we must keep our fingers crossed about.

Thanks for sharing your story :D

I saw Angels and Demons today and it was true to the book, fast paced, strong cast, plenty of action, good locations, cinematography and special effects.

Bad character development?

To each their own, you can't please everyone.

Skaarsgard and McGregor were good casting.

As with any "who dunnit", there are always red herrings and probable suspects to confuse the audience.

I thought it was good but not great and maybe there will be an extended DVD version released down the track.

I'm looking forward to Browns next book, The Lost Symbol in September which no doubt will make it to the big screen.

My advice is read the book before you see the movie adaptation of it, period.

BTW, there is already a movie featuring Picard and crew, Star Trek: Generations.

Agreed with your overall assessment, Reggie29, even the part about red herrings. The problem for me was that there actually were no clues pointing to McGregor's character, and it was heavily weighted towards Skaarsgard and Mueller-Stahl (creepy Cardinal Strauss). Ewan's character was more the hub, the constant. No clues whatsoever that he had such deep-rooted feelings about science and the church. You have to give people morsels to follow, otherwise, sorry, it's just cheating an audience because it was such an obvious flip -- ooooh, the guys we were pointing to all along are really good, and the really good guy throughout is actually the bad guy.

But that's an impression from someone who hasn't read the book. Perhaps they expect that most of the audience has and filled in the details? I don't know...but it left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't the twist, it was how they set it up and arrived at it.

Hi, Reggie 29, Patrycja & Jahfin! Thanks for the words re: Patrick Stewart! :)

Hey, you ever see on YouTube the little clip of a Star Trek The Next Generation episode where Data takes a shot @ acting? It was really good! (A scene from Macbeth) They're all sitting around a campfire (Data & Picard included). They say a few verses. Then the next scene is back on the starship where Data asks Picard for his feedback on his acting. The captain gives him a few pointers heh heh.

I saw it on YouTube about four months ago.

PS: Thanks, Patrycja about the NYC comment. Yeah, I love living here. ;)

I saw a 90's film that was pleasantly more entertaining than I thought it would be. Dark Man with Liam Neeson and Frances McDormand. Even though some of the SFX were dated, I enjoyed how over the top violent it was (which I normally don't dig now that I'm a little bit older). Sam Raimi did a nice job directing (and you see some of his early visions for Spider-Man here). Plus, Larry Drake was a fantastic villain. There's also a Bruce Campbell cameo at the end. :D

Hey Fan S :) You see, as much as we have the second largest theatre district in North America, every time I hear a story like yours, I think the city with the largest theatre district is a great place to visit.

Patrick Stewart is great. Star Trek The Next Generation was my favourite of the series, and though I'd love to see a movie of that thread of the enterprise, regrettably I doubt it'll happen. Another project we must keep our fingers crossed about.

Thanks for sharing your story :D

Hi, Patrycja!

Say, speaking of Patrick Stewart, about a decade ago, on New Year's Eve, I had the pleasure of seeing him in a one-man show on Broadway--A Christmas Carol! He played each character effortlessly! Great pathos, of course, especially the part when The Ghost of Christmas Past helps him remember the kindness of his beloved younger sister, Fan, when she tells him (very young Ebenezer) to come back home ("home, home, home!") because "Father is so much kinder, now!"

Hi, Patrycja!

Say, speaking of Patrick Stewart, about a decade ago, on New Year's Eve, I had the pleasure of seeing him in a one-man show on Broadway--A Christmas Carol! He played each character effortlessly! Great pathos, of course, especially the part when The Ghost of Christmas Past helps him remember the kindness of his beloved younger sister, Fan, when she tells him (very young Ebenezer) to come back home ("home, home, home!") because "Father is so much kinder, now!"

Evenin', Fan S :wave:! About that ST episode, I've not seen it :o. Must scope it out on YouTube, thanks.

That sounds like a great production, and a one-man show no less! They really should tape these more often (Christopher Plummer starred in a filmed production of "Caesar and Cleopatra" in Stratford, Ontario this year, and it was subsequently released on the big screen and tv. Very cool.)

Part of the beauty of theatre is that it's transitory, but there ought to be some leeway for the best productions, to capture them on film so that subsequent generations can appreciate them. Who's to say, though, what the 'best productions' are? And in a time when everything seems to be recorded, maybe that 'if only you could've been there' quality makes it stand out all the more. Anyway, glad you enjoyed "A Christmas Carol". It's not easy to make an annual classic fresh and interesting.

Sooo, some movie content: I'm watching "Katyn" tomorrow.