I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I saw The Golden Compass. Wasn't as shite as I thought it would be, what with all the bad reviews. They left all the religious parts in, which made me happy. I was afraid they'd dumbed it down for "general audiences," but they didn't. Still makes a more lasting impression in book form, but that's not surprising. All the actors were good - that kid with the funny name who played the main character really surprised me - she seemed really natural. Loved Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel, and Nicole Kidman was a pretty good Mrs. Coulter. I wish Daniel Craig could have been in the movie more, but unfortunately that's just how the story is. Sam Elliott was awesome; couldn't have found a more perfect fit. In a nutshell, I thought it made a nice little visual companion to the books, but it didn't eclipse them or anything.

No Country For Old Men- I loved this movie until Josh Brolin meets the girl at the pool. It goes straight downhill after that. They build you up and build you up and then they don't deliver. They left a packed theatre really disappointed. Good performances by everyone though except for Tommy Lee Jones. His routine is old now. Enough.

Lars and The Real Girl- i wanted to really like it but in the end it just didn't work. The whole situation was so ridiculous that you couldn't take it seriously when you were supposed to. It had everyone laughing where they weren't supposed to be laughing. And it becomes way too farfetched in the end.

Fred Claus- It was so-so. It was an alright xmas movie. Vince Vaughn does his usual routine and there are some laughs. Don't go with high expectations though.

I am going to see Gone Baby Gone and Across The Universe this weekend.

I've read nothing but outstanding reviews. How was it?

Very good but I found it a bit hard to follow at times since I'm not so up on Dylan's personal life. Then again, there's a lot of moments of pure fiction. It's definitely worth viewing for it's unique approach to Dylan's many different personas over the years.

Saw "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" last night. It was impeccably acted, great performances by PSH, Ethan Hawke, and Albert Finney. But a depressing movie, not the sort of thing I usually think of as a good time.

Well, except that you got to see an awful lot of Marissa Tomei naked. :shifty:

High%20Tension-791906.jpg

A sick, sick movie. The twist near the end requires some suspension of disbelieve (some psycho-sexual headfucking going on, in fact), but all in all the meat store was open.

Not THE best horror movie I've seen this year (that accolade goes to Suspiria with Audition taking second place) but close call.

:)

Edited by kaztor (slight return)

I saw The Golden Compass. Wasn't as shite as I thought it would be, what with all the bad reviews. They left all the religious parts in, which made me happy. I was afraid they'd dumbed it down for "general audiences," but they didn't. Still makes a more lasting impression in book form, but that's not surprising. All the actors were good - that kid with the funny name who played the main character really surprised me - she seemed really natural. Loved Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel, and Nicole Kidman was a pretty good Mrs. Coulter. I wish Daniel Craig could have been in the movie more, but unfortunately that's just how the story is. Sam Elliott was awesome; couldn't have found a more perfect fit. In a nutshell, I thought it made a nice little visual companion to the books, but it didn't eclipse them or anything.

I saw this in London last week--it was great, but I couldn't believe they ended it before the actual end of the first novel! My sister and I thought the projector guy wanted to knock off early or something and just cut the last scene, but apparently not! It'll really be a bummer if they don't make the next two films now.

I also saw Elizabeth: The Golden Age the next day (cool litle cinema just a few blocks from our hotel), which I enjoyed quite a bit as well. It wasn't as good as the first Blanchett Elizabeth film--a bit static for the first hour--but Clive Owen was great and the last several scenes with the Armada sinking and all were really well done.

On the plane home, I saw Stardust, which was really cute, and also The Invasion (which I watched mostly for the Daniel Craig bits and was reasonably well-rewarded for the effort *smirk*).

Lars and the Real Girl.

The sweetest thing I've ever seen.

And it was actually very good, with an incredible performance by Ryan Gosling.

Oh good! I'm really looking forward to that one, not sure I'll make it to the theater though.

I just saw Paris Je T'aime and hated it quite thoroughly. There was one or two clever ones but all in all it sucked.

ETA: The Golden Compass, I'm scared to go see it, I've read the series several times and it's one of my favorites. I had high hopes but am not hearing great things and am disgusted at the way they're promoting it. I just want to scream, "THIS IS NOT A CHILDREN'S SERIES!!". Oh well *sigh*

Edited by DaughterOfZeppelin

I saw American Gangster last weekend. Really good exciting movie. Although Denzel is the same in every movie now. He doesn't stretch himself anymore. It's the same routine every movie now.

Saw Gone Baby Gone. Good film. I don't understand all of the raves about Casey Affleck though.

I am gonna try and see Sweeny Todd this weekend.

And i am still going to try and see most of the movies nominated for golden globes.