I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

I'll always enjoy the first one with John Wayne but I feel like Jeff Bridges was definitely the better actor in the newer version. Agreed somewhat about the color thing. I've noticed in some older movies (and TV shows for that matter) that it's hard to tell when it's nighttime, perhaps because they didn't have the same sort of lighting abilities back then. Not sure if that's what you're talking about but it's something I've noticed.

I think Bridges seemed more depressed in the film and didn't appear as 'game' as Wayne did. The new version really didn't have much humor and maybe the Coen's were depressed when they made it? :D As for the color, it just seems a lot of new movies have that dark green/black look to them and I don't know who first did it but I'd say it's time for the fad to die and to bring back real color. But I know what you mean about the older films and TV shows. They used a special filter to get a 'night effect' while filming in broad daylight. A good example is in 'SHANE' when they are riding home from town after the big barroom brawl. It looks like night but you can tell it's daytime.

I watched 'Punch Drunk Love' with Adam Sandler again last night. I think he's a great serious actor and he was scary when he went after the asshole brothers who attacked him.

B)

I think Bridges seemed more depressed in the film and didn't appear as 'game' as Wayne did. The new version really didn't have much humor and maybe the Coen's were depressed when they made it? :D

I actually think it had plenty of humor but it was so subtle it appeared to go over most of the audiences' heads, at least that was my movie going experience. I found myself laughing at stuff they didn't appear to get. I've talked to other moviegoers that noticed the exact same thing.

As for the color, it just seems a lot of new movies have that dark green/black look to them and I don't know who first did it but I'd say it's time for the fad to die and to bring back real color. But I know what you mean about the older films and TV shows. They used a special filter to get a 'night effect' while filming in broad daylight. A good example is in 'SHANE' when they are riding home from town after the big barroom brawl. It looks like night but you can tell it's daytime.

Thanks, that pretty much hits the nail on the head, at least as far as how the old TV shows and movies were shot.

I actually think it had plenty of humor but it was so subtle it appeared to go over most of the audiences' heads, at least that was my movie going experience. I found myself laughing at stuff they didn't appear to get. I've talked to other moviegoers that noticed the exact same thing.

I did laugh at some things for sure, but I don't know why they left out the 'Rat Writ' scene? It was in the book too and I thought it was hilarious. :)

In the book LaBouef was also in the dugout when they caught Quincy and Moon (Dennis Hopper, for those who don't know) and the Coen's changed that scene completely. :huh:

Thanks, that pretty much hits the nail on the head, at least as far as how the old TV shows and movies were shot.

I was watching 'Psycho' last night mainly to check out the editing and they also used the dark filter technique on the scene where he shoves the car into the bog.

I did laugh at some things for sure, but I don't know why they left out the 'Rat Writ' scene? It was in the book too and I thought it was hilarious. :)

In the book LaBouef was also in the dugout when they caught Quincy and Moon (Dennis Hopper, for those who don't know) and the Coen's changed that scene completely. :huh:

Not sure what's up with that. I noticed those changes from the one with John Wayne too but since I haven't read the book I wasn't aware of that aspect of it. Perhaps it'll be something that's addressed in the bonus features when True Grit comes out on DVD.

When you watched the first True Grit with John Wayne did you notice that it was rated G? I found that strange, especially given that he said "son of a bitch" in it. A friend theorized that it was rated G for today's audiences but that still doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't think things have changed that much that a G movie would allow profanity.

Watched this one last night and while I enjoyed it, I had to fight off sleep several times:

41x83giQWlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51D6TWWK2WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had never seen this before until last night. Seems I had not been missing out on much. While I enjoyed it to a certain extent it was more because it was so telling about the time it was shot in (1994) than the actual content of the movie itself. "Timeless", it most definitely is not. When it was over I had an overwhelming urge to rewind it even though it's on DVD.

511eHmnaBCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was in no hurry to see this, especially after watching Super Size Me a few years ago but is very necessary viewing. I had no idea how out of control the situation over the food we consume had become. This is an eye opening film in every sense of those words, I can't recommend it to everyone highly enough. It's not just an expose on the food industry but it also gives some very helpful tips on what we can do to bring things back under control. That last bit is the hard part because of the complacency of the vast amount of people in the U.S.

Not sure what's up with that. I noticed those changes from the one with John Wayne too but since I haven't read the book I wasn't aware of that aspect of it. Perhaps it'll be something that's addressed in the bonus features when True Grit comes out on DVD.

When you watched the first True Grit with John Wayne did you notice that it was rated G? I found that strange, especially given that he said "son of a bitch" in it. A friend theorized that it was rated G for today's audiences but that still doesn't make any sense. I wouldn't think things have changed that much that a G movie would allow profanity.

It looks like both filmmakers took liberties with the book. Poetic license I s'pose. B)

Yeah, I always like to watch the extras and commentary on dvd's. I'll be doing that tonight with 'Pieces Of April' with Katie Holmes.

I never really noticed the G rating thing. SOB is a common thing now even on TV. B)

I never really noticed the G rating thing. SOB is a common thing now even on TV. B)

Yes, it is. I'm no prude but there's things on TV now that would have earned a PG or even a R rating back in the day. When I see a G rating I think of things like Disney movies so surely one wouldn't expect to hear "son of a bitch" in anything so wholesome as a Disney flick.

51YSV8LmZoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

By now I think I've seen most, if not all of the Judd Apatow films. With that in mind, I figured this one would be pretty much in line with those I've already seen but I was way off. Sure it has lot of sophomoric but that's counter-balanced by the forced coming of age story of the Joe character. Definitely a movie with a lot of heart, which isn't at all what I expected going in.

61Ie6tt8rxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

When I first saw this at the Byrd Theatre in Richmond last year it was still a work in progress so I was intrigued to see what changes had been made. There were very few as far as I could tell after the first viewing. I also love the bonus features which include some full length live performances, in depth interviews with the band and an entire piece on the "Muscle Shoals Sound". Now, I also finally have something to show friends that will hopefully do a much better job than I ever have at explaining why I love the Truckers so much. By the way, this isn't a complete history of the Drive-By Truckers, it touches on their early years but the main focus is the time frame leading up to the recording and release of A Blessing And A Curse.

Yes, it is. I'm no prude but there's things on TV now that would have earned a PG or even a R rating back in the day. When I see a G rating I think of things like Disney movies so surely one wouldn't expect to hear "son of a bitch" in anything so wholesome as a Disney flick.

In 'Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation' Jimmy Stewart asks the family if they want to get some 'sun off the beach' and his Swedish maid thought he had cussed at her and she quit. :lol:

I was watching "Maid of Honor" (?) on tv last Sunday; with Patrick Dempsey and the guy who plays Owen from Grey's Anatomy. It was a really cute Rom-Com.

Then a friend dropped by and I missed the ending. :( Will have to rent it so I can see what happened (although I can guess....)

I watched this last night and was very impressed. I didn't think a film set entirely underground in a coffin would work, but it did.

I thought it was very well done. Made me feel rather claustrophobic though. :)

As is often the case, I completely miss seeing a movie that becomes so popular that most people take it for granted.

This was one of them.

first160.jpg

So I got to watch it on Encore (one of my favorite premium channels for that very reason) this afternoon.

Most excellent, and the accolades were well-deserved.

Will definitely watch it again, when it's on again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

the-losers-stylish-poster.jpg

I watched this last night, it was OK.

Zöe Saldana is ridiculously hot, which made up for a lot.

Edited by TypeO

As is often the case, I completely miss seeing a movie that becomes so popular that most people take it for granted.

This was one of them.

first160.jpg

So I got to watch it on Encore (one of my favorite premium channels for that very reason) this afternoon.

Most excellent, and the accolades were well-deserved.

Will definitely watch it again, when it's on again.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The_Losers_3.jpg

I watched this last night, it was OK.

Zöe Saldana is ridiculously hot, which made up for a lot.

I just rented this last night~forgot how great this movie is. "It's not your fault..." Robin Williams was brilliant!

Went to see "Unknown" yesterday. Save your money. Really insultingly stupid 'thriller'. It's sort of Sixth Sense (because of the twist) meets the Bourne series (because of the 'who am I?' bit), but with very obvious set ups and dumb plot sequences. Waste of a good cast. I love Liam Neeson, but not enough to make me like this film.

Edited by Patrycja

Something I put together about our library movie and I'm a rank amateur editor.

The lyrics are by my friend Judy (she's a librarian), music is by Jeremy Kerslake and Perry D'Armand and vocal harmonies by Colleen Bjurstrom who opens the video.

51mzQaRcSoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17Me8uL6mA

I read about this movie a few months ago but unfortunately it was already out of theatres by then. Thus began my not so patient wait for it to appear on DVD. Watching the bonus features revealed what a struggle it was for the filmmakers to bring it to the big screen because these type of movies (i.e., something original) simply don't fly with the major movie studios these days. That's such a shame and a major indictment of the movie going public in 2011 that all some people want to see are blockbusters with car crashes, explosions, mindless comedies, remakes of other movies, TV shows turned into movies, etc. I'm not saying I never watch those other kinds of movies as I most certainly do but it's not all I want to see.