I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

51GVsCrKFeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I liked this one way much more than I was expecting to. Well, I really didn't know what to expect other than the brief summary I'd read on the back of the box and that it was a Rob Reiner film. I've seen my fair share of coming of age films over the years but this one has a nice twist which makes it markedly different.

I broke my knee-cap 3 weeks ago. Had surgery two weeks ago, and I've been living in a lazy-boy and watching movies for what seems like forever ! :(

Anybody see this ?

A-Very-Long-Engagement-soundtrack.png

Strange but good European flick about World War 1, and Jodi Foster surprisingly shows up in the middle. Recommended if you're looking for something a little different.

Maybe the vicodin made it better than it really was ? :unsure:

51Pe5lnA-ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At one point I was about to eject the movie because I thought it was completely fucking stupid and thought there would be nothing that could possibly redeem it. Then, the dinner scene happened and it turned around significantly.

I broke my knee-cap 3 weeks ago. Had surgery two weeks ago, and I've been living in a lazy-boy and watching movies for what seems like forever ! :(

Anybody see this ?

A-Very-Long-Engagement-soundtrack.png

Strange but good European flick about World War 1, and Jodi Foster surprisingly shows up in the middle. Recommended if you're looking for something a little different.

Maybe the vicodin made it better than it really was ? :unsure:

Yes, I saw it last year in May, and thought it was amazing. The perfect combination of war and romance, saturated with Jeunet's imagination

I watched the commentary on 'Patton' by Francis Ford Coppola and he was actually fired from the film after writing the screenplay and was working on the 'Godfather' when 'Patton' won the Oscar for best screenplay. He was just about to be fired from The Godfather too until he got the 'Patton' Oscar and I guess the moguls finally realized he may actually have some talent. :lol:

51yRzs0yEVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jim Carrey proves he still has his comedic chops and can do so without some of the manic humor that made him so annoying in the pass. As per usual Zooey Deschanel is a real treat.

51qm1T2q-UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A bit dreary at times but overall still a good movie.

I took my kids to see Rango Saturday.

It is fantastic.

Been awhile since I enjoyed a movie this much.

It really is as good (or even better) than the trailers make it look.

On a side note, as animated movies get more and more sophisticated, they become less and less suitable for young kids.

There were a number of people who had very young kids (under 8) who obviously figured "animated movie = kids movie".

The storyline was too complex for kids coming to see something along the lines of Spongebob Squarepants.

And it was apparent - the kids had no interest in the movie at all and were disruptive.

And it's not that the movie is adult-oriented or inappropriate, it just has a much more detailed plot than Veggie Tales.

rango-movie-poster-338x500.jpg

I took my kids to see Rango Saturday.

It is fantastic.

Been awhile since I enjoyed a movie this much.

It really is as good (or even better) than the trailers make it look.

On a side note, as animated movies get more and more sophisticated, they become less and less suitable for young kids.

There were a number of people who had very young kids (under 8) who obviously figured "animated movie = kids movie".

The storyline was too complex for kids coming to see something along the lines of Spongebob Squarepants.

And it was apparent - the kids had no interest in the movie at all and were disruptive.

And it's not that the movie is adult-oriented or inappropriate, it just has a much more detailed plot than Veggie Tales.

rango-movie-poster-338x500.jpg

Thanks for the lowdown. I loved the previews for this that I saw prior to True Grit.

51pb93%2Bn2IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At a very brief 80 minutes it seems like this one is over before it even gets underway good but it's still very worthy viewing. Before even watching it I was afraid it might be your usual maudlin dog story but that didn't really turn out to be the case at all. Instead, it focuses on how our pets can have or tend to set in motion, a profound change in our lives. Plus, Jeff Bridges is always a treat, which is a big reason why I even rented this one to start with.

Edited by Jahfin

61s-lw7WrrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Somewhere in here is a possibly great movie dying to get out. Never before have I see so many well known actors (Richard Dreyfuss and Susan Sarandon among them) do such a lousy job of acting. The exception is Edward Norton who plays twins. From reading more about the film I found that fault may be found with the screenwriter (who's also in the movie), Tim Blake Nelson for not fully fleshing out the script. Not a bad movie over all but I agree, it could have been much better. It has a very likable soundtrack that includes tunes from John Prine, Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle (who also has a small role in the movie). Perhaps if the script had been better realized Nelson could have achieved what he was shooting for. Instead, it just came out sort of sloppy.

Also, what's up with movie posters depicting scenes that never happen in the movie? For instance, not once during the movie is Norton's character ever seen bearing a crossbow. His enemies do but not Norton.

PlaceCalledChiapas.DVD.jpg

Documents the Zapatista uprising and movement in response to NAFTA and rising neo-liberalism of Mexico and its disastrous effects on the indigenous Mayans in Chiapas. It was alright just to get a general idea but you're much better off reading the writings of Subcomandante Insurgente Marcos.

51nikwGoozL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

What I thought was a surf movie documentary turned out to be more of a proclamation of Christianity that had little to nothing to do with surfing. That aside, it has some great surf footage and some wonderful vistas from around the world. The "message" aspect of it isn't even noticeable at first but at the movie goes along it becomes more and more dominant to the point where the movie isn't even about surfing any more.

^^^ That makes me think of a movie I saw back in the 80s called "The Big Blue". It was cinematographically (?) spectacular, but the plot was sort of vague and ridiculous. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095250/plotsummary

I keep seeing trailers on tv for this Red Riding Hood movie; I can't take this seriously. B) I'd be curious to hear if that's any good!

My wife had been wanting me to see this, so I DVR'd it a couple days ago, and we watched it together this afternoon.

As a father with a daughter it was very difficult to watch.

But it was an extraordinary movie and very intense; not with violence or gore, just intense with feeling.

I would recommend it highly.

the-lovely-bones-movie-8.jpg

Oh, come on!

Yer not gonna give us your impression?

You KNOW it was awesome, amirite?

I certainly enjoyed it. Not that anyone mentioned it but I don't think it's for kids. There isn't really any foul language but there are some violent scenes that would make it inappropriate for young kids. Plus, it references several movies that would go over toddlers' and even most young adults' heads. Aside from that, I thought it was well done and isn't just a special effects extravaganza (though there's obviously plenty of that). It actually has a plot and despite a couple of slow moments, it keeps your attention throughout. 2 hours is a bit much though, an hour and a half running time probably would have been much better.

Saw this one last night:

5127L0s5VqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apparently it's another one that passed most everyone by when it was first came out at theatres so more folks are discovering it thanks to it's release on DVD. Though the underlying theme of the movie is sad, overall it's very uplifting and funny as Walken and his son scheme their way across the U.S..

51R3ux-F7RL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is one of those movies I wasn't sure I was going to like at first but the deeper I got into it, the better it was. Hard to say too much about it without giving it away so I'll just say it's filled with some very pleasant surprises.

61TO0P9%2BdJL._AA300_.jpg

I'd read some mixed reviews on this one which caused me to be wary of renting it. Goes to show you should always see for yourself because your opinion may vary wildly from those of others which was most definitely the case here. This is not really an anti-war film (as so many are) but more of a character study of a soldier who loves his job, perhaps a little too much.