Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
bigstickbonzo

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

51RSxu8HsoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wok2QU3r098

Loved this. One of my favorite scenes is when Danny Kortchmar talks about a piece Lester Bangs wrote called James Taylor Marked for Death in which Bangs fantasizes about disemboweling Taylor with a broken Ripple bottle. Kortchmar says that James could "kick his ass" and that "Lester Bangs isn't remembered". Even though the second part (and maybe even the first) is wrong, I still found it to be funny as hell. Though Taylor has never read the piece, this is what he had to say about it:

"If you think [my music] is sentimental and self-absorbed, I agree with you. If you like that kind of thing, then listen to it. If you don't, you don't have to remove it from the face of the earth. It's not for everybody. But to me, there's still something compelling about doing it. Regardless of what the guy with the bottle of Ripple feels."

If you missed this when it first aired on PBS' American Masters series earlier this month you can still watch the entire episode online here.

Edited by Jahfin

51qv7IhJ2NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

One of the most unusual and unconventional movies I've ever seen. I started to lose interest about half way through but when Jason Bateman couldn't actually tell Aniston about "the switch", that's when things picked up. You can see the ending from a mile away but it didn't stop me from enjoying the movie any.

Will prob see "The Lincoln Lawyer" this weekend.

Then, I hope to see "I Am" next week in Cambridge.

5170uWhRf6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Who would have ever thought the best part of a movie that also stars Jack Nicholson would be Paul Rudd and Reese Witherspoon? I really wasn't that familiar with her up until her role as Loretta Lynn in Walk the Line so that's all I really have to base her acting abilities on. It's not like there's any Oscar winning performances here but you do think Nicholson could do better. It's not that his acting is bad but he really doesn't seem to bring much to his role and appears to be phoning it in for the most part. That probably shouldn't come as any surprise as he's been doing that for the most part for a while now. It's also worth noting that his role here is little more than a glorified cameo but you'd think he could have done more with his screen time. That aside, it's not a bad movie but it never really took off in a while that got me emotionally involved in any of the characters.

Just watched 'The Social Network'. There's nothing more boring than watching a bunch of backstabbing Harvard dorks become millionaires. <_<

Just watched 'The Social Network'. There's nothing more boring than watching a bunch of backstabbing Harvard dorks become millionaires. <_<

RIGHT?

Winter's Bone.

Not that I needed a reminder, but, say just say NO to drugs.

Holy shit.

5186NUgzeSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rango renewed my interest in Pixar flicks so I thought I'd give this one a shot. Loved it.

RIGHT?

Some of my personal faves of new & recent films:

Gran Torino

The King's Speech

The Apostle

Guitarra (History Of The Guitar In Spain w/Julian Bream)

Song Of The Guitar (Segovia)

John Williams (guitarist) In Spain

The Pianist

B)

Russell Brand........One of the reasons Hollywood sucks these days.

We watched 'A Woman Under The Influence' last night with Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands.

I think it was an excellent portrayal of what many people go through in real life and how mental illness (and blood ties) affects family and friends.

The film was directed by John Cassavetes and I was astonished at the beautiful color since it was made in 1974 way before digital took over and how Hollywood now seems to avoid using true color anymore. Hollywood needs to get over itself and get back to basics.

Another great film by Cassavetes is 'Gloria', also with Gena Rowlands in the title role.

Playing catch up over the last several days:

51x9GMUjxEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Horrendous, avoid at all costs. They must have paid Harrison Ford extremely well to be in this one.

51PWYMW6PYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

While not as great as I'd been led to believe, it was still a good movie, just not as good as I was expecting.

61euyU4feZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I guess it says a lot about the state of Hollyweird when some of the movies I've enjoyed most recently have come out of Pixar Studios.

519Obbin3qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd seen the first Without A Paddle and while it was nothing particularly special, I didn't think it was too bad for a good old mindless comedy. Turns out this new movie isn't exactly a sequel but is more like a remake and tremendously poorly done one at that. Another one to put in the "avoid at all costs" column. I think I've finally hit rock bottom with Redbox rentals.

519YANDKJ4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lots of stars in this one but that's about all it had going for it. Once I figured out what was going on, I realized it wasn't really worth the effort to figure out. It's not bad, I just never found it all that engaging.

I watched 'The Road' on the weekend.

Being a father of a boy under two, I was on the brink of tears almost entirely. Hooonk!

But a great and sad and disturbing movie

51r4EqQjOdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not exactly the most uplifting movie I've ever seen but it's definitely much better than several of the stinkers I've watched lately.

51ehCEHI3AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Subculture of skinheads in the 80's set in England a bit after the Falklands War with Argentina. Good interesting film.

entrenos_bigposter.jpg

Good follows this Colombian immigrant in New York City who has to find a way to make money fast in a place she's unfamiliar with after her husband leaves her.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

I guess it says a lot about the state of Hollyweird when some of the movies I've enjoyed most recently have come out of Pixar Studios.

Jahfin I recommend these movies if you're tired of the Hollywood same old. Fairly recent films that I think are very good.

Moon

The Proposition

Into the Wild

Children of Men

Valhalla Rising

Amores Perros

Gomorrah

The Road ( I think you mentioned you saw this)

Fish Tank

Che

Let The Right One In

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

Jahfin I recommend these movies if you're tired of the Hollywood same old. Fairly recent films that I think are very good.

Moon

The Proposition

Into the Wild

Children of Men

Valhalla Rising

Amores Perros

Gomorrah

The Road ( I think you mentioned you saw this)

Fish Tank

Che

Let The Right One In

Thanks. I've seen The Proposition and yeah, I also recently rented The Road. Unfortunately, most of my choices are limited to Redbox's selections. That is, until I sign up for something like Netflix. Usually I go out in search of a specific movie I want to see but as I mentioned, since Redbox rentals are only $1 I know find myself choosing from what they have to offer.

Latest rentals:

51E77zo1pKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I had NO idea what I was getting into here. Goes to show you should always read the product description before renting.

51GmMEUiSBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was very pleasantly surprised by this one and enjoyed it a great deal.

51tc0K%2BAq7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Absolute shit. I have no one to blame but myself on this because I did read the product description beforehand. That should have been a dead giveaway. Not to mention the Rob Schneider factor itself.

I dropped everything to watch Kubrick's 'Killer's Kiss' again. Love them old noir pics. B)