I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies

bigstickbonzo

Having never seen it, I wasn't sure whether to go with the original cut or the Redux. I should probably watch the original someday just for comparison's sake but it won't be any time soon as that was one long ass movie.

The original is far better than the Redux version...and I could write a THESIS explaining why, but the Wimbledon semi's are on and Tsonga just won the third set to get back in the match, so I don't have the time nor the focus to elucidate. Maybe later...I'll pm you.

Both Coppola and George Lucas need to be quarantined somewhere to prevent them from going back and RUINING their old movies! It's like a disease with those two.

The original is far better than the Redux version...and I could write a THESIS explaining why, but the Wimbledon semi's are on and Tsonga just won the third set to get back in the match, so I don't have the time nor the focus to elucidate. Maybe later...I'll pm you.

Both Coppola and George Lucas need to be quarantined somewhere to prevent them from going back and RUINING their old movies! It's like a disease with those two.

Thanks, I'll have to watch it at some point. I also wasn't sure which way to go with the re-edited version of Donnie Darko so I watched the newer one.

51Z-jEaK6rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not a fan of Jack Black's over the top antics but he pretty much keeps those in check here which probably helped me to enjoy this movie way more than I was expecting to.

Thanks, I'll have to watch it at some point. I also wasn't sure which way to go with the re-edited version of Donnie Darko so I watched the newer one.

Now, on Donnie Darko, the newer version works, as this was what the director INTENDED to show originally but because of budget and studio interference wasn't...actually I like both versions, but the director's cut makes some of the weirder story elements clearer...and the music cues are what he originally wanted.

51Z-jEaK6rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not a fan of Jack Black's over the top antics but he pretty much keeps those in check here which probably helped me to enjoy this movie way more than I was expecting to.

A HIGHLY UNDERRATED AND OVERLOOKED film...and thoroughly enjoyable. Loved all the "Sweded" clips...someone should do a "sweded" version of "The Song Remains the Same". It'd be hilarious.

Michel Gondry has done some of my favourite films of the past decade, with "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" being near the top of the list. And his music video work is practically second-to-none. Too bad "Be Kind and Rewind" didn't do better at the B.O., but hopefully it will have a second-life on dvd and cable; much like Donnie Darko did.

Don't know if I want to see his "Green Hornet", though...it looked TERRIBLE.

Going to see the new John C. Reilly movie, "Terri" tonight...they shot a scene in the bookshop I work at in Pasadena, Book Alley. Hopefully it made the cut.

Edited by Strider

^^^

Yes to all of the above, Brad! :)

Sadly, my date and I agreed "Terri" was just meh. Could've been better. But we did recognize the bookstore and a couple other locations. They filmed the movie all over the Pasadena, Altadena, Sierra Madre area.

Of recent movies I've seen, "Submarine" and "Beginners" were far better than "Terri".

Oh well, at least it wasn't as godawful as "Larry Crowne".

Now, on Donnie Darko, the newer version works, as this was what the director INTENDED to show originally but because of budget and studio interference wasn't...actually I like both versions, but the director's cut makes some of the weirder story elements clearer...and the music cues are what he originally wanted.

I don't mind a movie where everything isn't all spelled out for you but by the time I was done watching Donnie Darko I had to look up an explanation online so I could fathom what I'd just seen.

A HIGHLY UNDERRATED AND OVERLOOKED film...and thoroughly enjoyable. Loved all the "Sweded" clips...someone should do a "sweded" version of "The Song Remains the Same". It'd be hilarious.

There was that segment Conan O'Brien did on his show a few years ago. Not quite the same thing but still pretty funny.

Michel Gondry has done some of my favourite films of the past decade, with "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" being near the top of the list. And his music video work is practically second-to-none. Too bad "Be Kind and Rewind" didn't do better at the B.O., but hopefully it will have a second-life on dvd and cable; much like Donnie Darko did.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of my favorite movies ever but nothing else he's done (including Be Kind, Rewind) has lived up to it. At least not to me.

Don't know if I want to see his "Green Hornet", though...it looked TERRIBLE.

It was. I chalk it up to Seth Rogen. I enjoyed him in Knocked Up but The Green Hornet and Pineapple Express (which he also had a huge hand in writing) were both downright horrible.

From over the weekend:

51MSQMBGJQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

More of a movie aimed at teens and young adults than I was expecting but the surf sequences were breathtaking. It made me want to search out Endless Summer (which, believe it or not, I've never seen) but the local Blockbuster doesn't carry it.

51GJvu9xiyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another in a long line of typical gross out comedies but this one did have some redeeming qualities.

51Q2MVZ5QRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Haven't figured out if I dislike Jesse Eisenberg or if it's just the characters that he plays. That said, there's not really anyone that's likable in this movie. It is a good film, if not a little too graphic at times but the story wouldn't be the same without those moments. It makes me feel all the more fortunate that I had two very loving parents and never had to deal with the pains of divorce.

I got talked into going to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

Ok movie, more of the same obviously but great special effects

I wanted to see the newPirates or Thor but they have finished their cinema run.

I remember when movies would screen for months, if not years, but not any more.

I suppose that is the result of the inception of DVD.

Hi all,

R,..."Hell's Angles '69" B):lol:

How you doing Bro?

KB

Say Son. How's the pic hangin'? :)

We just watched 'Napoleon Dynamite'

How come the hell I never heard of this movie? It has to now be one of my fave comedy's of all time. I now know where the Vern Fonk commercial parody comes from. :lol:

Edited by redrum

Say Son. How's the pic hangin'? :)

We just watched 'Napoleon Dynamite'

How come the hell I never heard of this movie? It has to now be one of my fave comedy's of all time. I now know where the Vern Fonk commercial parody comes from. :lol:

I caught you a delicious bass.

Well, got THAT out of the way. Went to the midnight show last night of the final Harry Potter movie. Finally, those kids indentured servitude is over and they can get on with the rest of their lives.

No, seriously, it was pretty good. In fact, after an uneven series, the last 3 films ended things on a high note, as once the films dispensed with the gee-whiz cutesiness and got down to the life or death stakes of the story, the quality of the films improved.

And, lawdy mama, if you're a fan of British thespians(that's THESpians, NOT LESbians, Big Dan :) ), these Harry Potter films were like a Who's Who of Brit talent. I think everybody other than Steve Coogan made an appearance.

Personally, I cheered every time Alan Rickman appeared on screen...his line readings were...oh, what's the word I'm looking for?...DELICIOUS! And Helena Bonham Carter gave the film series a late jolt of looney energy.

So for all you Harry-heads, I think you'll find "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" a worthy ending. And even for you novices, there is much to enjoy in the movie.

One thing's for sure...it's a helluva lot better than Transformers, Green Lantern, and Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

Edited by Strider

Well, got THAT out of the way. Went to the midnight show last night of the final Harry Potter movie. Finally, those kids indentured servitude is over and they can get on with the rest of their lives.

No, seriously, it was pretty good. In fact, after an uneven series, the last 3 films ended things on a high note, as once the films dispensed with the gee-whiz cutesiness and got down to the life or death stakes of the story, the quality of the films improved.

And, lawdy mama, if you're a fan of British thespians(that's THESpians, NOT LESbians, Big Dan :) ), these Harry Potter films were like a Who's Who of Brit talent. I think everybody other than Steve Coogan made an appearance.

Personally, I cheered every time Alan Rickman appeared on screen...his line readings were...oh, what's the word I'm looking for?...DELICIOUS! And Helena Bonham Carter gave the film series a late jolt of looney energy.

So for all you Harry-heads, I think you'll find "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" a worthy ending. And even for you novices, there is much to enjoy in the movie.

One thing's for sure...it's a helluva lot better than Transformers, Green Lantern, and Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm so behind the times. I haven't even seen The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 yet. I suppose I should watch them in order to avoid any confusion. I'm trying to remember what exactly a horcrux is.

Edited by Magic Fills the Air